The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Post-Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dave Mason on Time and Christine (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=53259)

michelej1 02-13-2014 02:14 PM

Dave Mason on Time and Christine

[Everything worked out for the best, man. Excerpt from Nick DeRiso interview]

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2014...g-his-own-way/

NICK DERISO: Do you feel like that period has been treated unfairly by critics who focused solely on a return of Buckingham Nicks? After all, it’s a band that’s had several lineups, going back to the Peter Green days.

DAVE MASON: Oh, yeah, it’s had a number of incarnations. I could understand, from some people’s point of view, because the Rumours album obviously sold so many copies. It was so huge that that sort of overshadowed everything else. We did the album, and Warner Bros. didn’t really bother with it, frankly. So, it sort of just came out and died a death. And that was that. But we spent six or eight months making that record, on and off. It wasn’t just slapped together. The problem was that [long-time Fleetwood Mac contributor] Christine [McVie] was on the album, but she wouldn’t go on the road. That probably would have lent more credence to it. By the time we got on the road, all you had was [band founders] Mick [Fleetwood] and John McVie. So, it got to be classified as a Fleetwood Mac cover band.

michelej1 02-13-2014 02:15 PM

Elle, I blame Mick for this tour.

Michele

shackin'up 02-13-2014 02:31 PM

Well, they were all there, and they picked a setlist that was NOT about the new Fleetwood Mac. They just played what the audience wanted to hear, except that none of the original writers-Singers were there. They should have played the TIME songs and three hits. And some solostuff from becca and dave. And then I don't mean dear mr. Fantasy. They made it a coverband themselves. Still, I enjoyed this concert better then the behind the mask tour.

chiliD 02-13-2014 06:53 PM

His chronology is off...the album didn't come out until their 14 months tour had ENDED. They only played a couple of songs from the album during the tour. An earlier version of Dave's song "Blow By Blow" was on the Soccer Rocks The World compilation disc about a year or so before Time came out, so for a large part of the tour, that was the only "new" song that was played on tour. (Later, Bekka's "Dreamin' This Dream" replaced their cover of John Lennon's "Imagine" as their concert closer) They did Billy's "The Bigger The Love", which was on his solo album Coming Home (the 2nd time he'd recorded it; it was on an earlier album of his Gimme You) that came out a year or so before Time AND on the album that John McVie did with Lola Thomas. (I seem to recall that they also cut a version for the aborted album Another Link In The Chain)

Bottom line: There WAS no tour to promote Time.

SteveMacD 02-13-2014 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shackin'up (Post 1120594)
Well, they were all there, and they picked a setlist that was NOT about the new Fleetwood Mac.

There really wasn't anything to promote, though. They only had one new song out at the time, "Blow By Blow" from "Soccer Rocks The Globe," which they DID play at the shows. I'd agree if people could have bought new material. As it was, the last time I saw that version of the band, they encored with "Dreamin' The Dream," and I was frustrated that I had to wait like two months to get it on CD.

Quote:

They just played what the audience wanted to hear, except that none of the original writers-Singers were there.
Except the Dave Mason stuff. Actually, Mike Finnigan (CSN's keyboardist and keyboardist for the Dave Mason Band) came out and sang harmonies on "We Just Disagree," which made it very close to the original. I also liked that they turned "Only You Know & I Know" into a Dave/Bekka duet. Yes, Dave has his version, but her folks also recorded it.

Quote:

They should have played the TIME songs and three hits.
Again, that album was released after they stopped touring. What would have been the point? Now, where I agree is that they should have maybe had one or two of Billy's "Behind The Mask" songs (i.e. In The Back Of My Mind and When The Sun Goes Down). But, even then, they typically only had ten to twelve songs for their sets.

Quote:

And then I don't mean dear mr. Fantasy.
Why not? He played bass on the original, and co-lead guitar on "Welcome To The Canteen." If Fleetwood Mac played Chicken Shack numbers when Christine was in the band, why not Traffic songs when Dave Mason was in the band?

Quote:

They made it a coverband themselves. Still, I enjoyed this concert better then the behind the mask tour.
And, say what you will, they were able to do it with just six people on stage. If Christine had toured, there would have been no additional musicians. When was the last time THAT happened?

shackin'up 02-14-2014 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1120622)
There really wasn't anything to promote, though. They only had one new song out at the time, "Blow By Blow" from "Soccer Rocks The Globe," which they DID play at the shows. I'd agree if people could have bought new material. As it was, the last time I saw that version of the band, they encored with "Dreamin' The Dream," and I was frustrated that I had to wait like two months to get it on CD.

Except the Dave Mason stuff. Actually, Mike Finnigan (CSN's keyboardist and keyboardist for the Dave Mason Band) came out and sang harmonies on "We Just Disagree," which made it very close to the original. I also liked that they turned "Only You Know & I Know" into a Dave/Bekka duet. Yes, Dave has his version, but her folks also recorded it.

Again, that album was released after they stopped touring. What would have been the point? Now, where I agree is that they should have maybe had one or two of Billy's "Behind The Mask" songs (i.e. In The Back Of My Mind and When The Sun Goes Down). But, even then, they typically only had ten to twelve songs for their sets.

Why not? He played bass on the original, and co-lead guitar on "Welcome To The Canteen." If Fleetwood Mac played Chicken Shack numbers when Christine was in the band, why not Traffic songs when Dave Mason was in the band?

And, say what you will, they were able to do it with just six people on stage. If Christine had toured, there would have been no additional musicians. When was the last time THAT happened?

All true, dude. But if you embark on a Fleetwood Mac tour with a whole new line-up, and you basicly play rumours, combined with old stuff from other bands that you played in, you simply cannot complain if it is interpreted as a coverband.

That was my whole point.

And in the core, musically, FM's last tour was with 5 musicians on stage and Stevie. Ok there are some backing vocalists, but in the Time band there already were 4 voices on stage. It's not THAT huge difference.

Fannymac 02-14-2014 11:26 AM

The fact remains......Christine didn't want anything to do with Dave.....she didn't want him in the band, she didn't want him on her tracks, and she didn't want to be on stage with him...period.

SteveMacD 02-14-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fannymac (Post 1120641)
The fact remains......Christine didn't want anything to do with Dave.....she didn't want him in the band, she didn't want him on her tracks, and she didn't want to be on stage with him...period.

And of course, there's that little fact that she retired from the road in 1990.

jbrownsjr 02-14-2014 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1120643)
And of course, there's that little fact that she retired from the road in 1990.

She barely did the Dance... 40 dates and done..

SteveMacD 02-14-2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1120646)
She barely did the Dance... 40 dates and done..

I always took her participation on that tour as her way of going out on top.

jbrownsjr 02-14-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1120651)
I always took her participation on that tour as her way of going out on top.

I'd have to agree. And if she hadn't left when she did, we wouldn't be getting her back now. She would have really burned out.

SteveMacD 02-14-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shackin'up (Post 1120634)
All true, dude. But if you embark on a Fleetwood Mac tour with a whole new line-up, and you basicly play rumours, combined with old stuff from other bands that you played in, you simply cannot complain if it is interpreted as a coverband.

OTOH, on the Don Kirshner Rock Concert in 1974, they did five songs, and three were Peter Green songs. Granted, that was when they were trying to reestablish that they were Fleetwood Mac, but nobody has ever said that they came off as a cover band.

I don't disagree that they relied too heavily on the classic material, but without any new material, again, I don't really see the point in playing new material. I would be curious how the setlist would have changed had they toured.

Quote:

And in the core, musically, FM's last tour was with 5 musicians on stage and Stevie. Ok there are some backing vocalists, but in the Time band there already were 4 voices on stage. It's not THAT huge difference.
Well, there's also an extra drummer, usually behind Lindsey's amps, and there are canned harmonies and keyboards, non of which happened with the "Time" band.

Neal 02-16-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

:shocked:

Any ideas why?

I remember hearing/reading that they didn't get along, but I always assumed it had something to do with creative differences that surfaced while in the studio. This comment suggests there was already bad blood... :(

RockawayBlind 02-16-2014 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shackin'up (Post 1120594)
Still, I enjoyed this concert better then the behind the mask tour.

Really!? I thought it was kind of a sleepy set myself, at least when I saw them. It sounded like a tire whose air was slowly leaking out. Fleetwood Mac was the headliner, but was far outshone by Pat Benatar and REO Speedwagon. I'm not kidding.

RockawayBlind 02-16-2014 09:41 PM

Quote:

Why was she so vehemently against him? I thought he was an odd fit myself, but I wasn't aware of her opposition.

SteveMacD 02-16-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal (Post 1120826)
Any ideas why?

Yes. She said she didn't see how he fit in with the band, but also remember that they go way, way back. Long before Chicken Shack, Fleetwood Mac, or Traffic. They go way back to when she was Spencer Davis's girlfriend and he was the roadie for the Spencer Davis Group. There's a lot of history there. I've heard a lot of rumors, having run a Dave Mason website in the past, several suggesting that Dave was still a cocaine user, and Christine found that objectionable by that point. I've never even tried to verify that, though.

MikeInNV 02-16-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockawayBlind (Post 1120829)
Really!? I thought it was kind of a sleepy set myself, at least when I saw them. It sounded like a tire whose air was slowly leaking out. Fleetwood Mac was the headliner, but was far outshone by Pat Benatar and REO Speedwagon. I'm not kidding.

At the show I saw, Fleetwood Mac played between Pat and REO. Did they rotate spots?

SteveMacD 02-16-2014 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeInNV (Post 1120834)
At the show I saw, Fleetwood Mac played between Pat and REO. Did they rotate spots?

They were the middle band when I saw them on that tour, too. I wouldn't say they were outplayed when I saw them.

Actually, I saw them open for CSN a year before, and people in my section thought Fleetwood Mac stole the show.

Neal 02-16-2014 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1120831)
Yes. She said she didn't see how he fit in with the band, but also remember that they go way, way back. Long before Chicken Shack, Fleetwood Mac, or Traffic. They go way back to when she was Spencer Davis's girlfriend and he was the roadie for the Spencer Davis Group. There's a lot of history there.

Very interesting! I didn't know any of that.

Quote:

I've heard a lot of rumors, having run a Dave Mason website in the past, several suggesting that Dave was still a cocaine user, and Christine found that objectionable by that point. I've never even tried to verify that, though.
I can certainly see how that would be a point of contention...

HomerMcvie 02-17-2014 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockawayBlind (Post 1120829)

I think your memory may be off. I too, saw them with REO as the headliner....

And I can still hear all the people around me, bitching because Stevie wasn't in the band. People suck, and don't understand reinvention.

And that night, I became a Bekka fan for life! Probably the best singer FM ever had!

RockawayBlind 02-17-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeInNV (Post 1120834)

Entirely possible. When FM took the stage at the show I saw, with their moody, sleepy set, it was very anti-climactic. Pat Benatar, whom I'd never seen, was actually quite good on stage. REO, despite the glossy pop stuff played on the radio, is actually a tremendous live band.

RockawayBlind 02-17-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1120849)
I think your memory may be off. I too, saw them with REO as the headliner....

Hmm. Now you have me rethinking it. Maybe I am misremembering it. In any case, FM was a letdown to me.

Fannymac 02-17-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal (Post 1120826)
:shocked:

Any ideas why?

I remember hearing/reading that they didn't get along, but I always assumed it had something to do with creative differences that surfaced while in the studio. This comment suggests there was already bad blood... :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockawayBlind (Post 1120830)
Why was she so vehemently against him? I thought he was an odd fit myself, but I wasn't aware of her opposition.

One of Christine's best friends is Steve Winwood....they go WAY back. At the time of TIME, there was still some major bad blood between Steve and Dave (don't know if it ever got cleared up)....she was just taking Steve's side. Plus, she didn't think he added anything to the band, that Mick had only asked him to join the group out of sympathy (I guess he was in a pretty bad way at the time....homeless, no record deal, maybe still using, etc.).

SteveMacD 02-17-2014 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fannymac (Post 1120920)
One of Christine's best friends is Steve Winwood....they go WAY back.

One of Christine's best friends is Mick Fleetwood. They go way back, too. (The point being that I'm sure whatever issues she's had with Dave are her's alone.)

Quote:

At the time of TIME, there was still some major bad blood between Steve and Dave (don't know if it ever got cleared up)....she was just taking Steve's side.
Steve Winwood and Jim Capaldi reformed Traffic and didn't include Dave Mason. One would think that she'd take Dave's side on that, because it would mean that he wouldn't have the time to be in Fleetwood Mac.

Quote:

Plus, she didn't think he added anything to the band, that Mick had only asked him to join the group out of sympathy (I guess he was in a pretty bad way at the time....homeless, no record deal, maybe still using, etc.).
He was "homeless" in that he doesn't have his own place, but he's on the road so much, he doesn't see the point. The reason he was staying with Mick at the time was because Jim Kruger, his guitarist and musical partner since 1974 (and writer of "We Just Disagree") died. Dave was trying to figure out his next step.

At the same time, Fleetwood Mac was listening to audition tapes, none of which were inspiring Mick. Mick's first choice was Jerry Lynn Williams, but he said no. Per the story Mick and Dave have said, Mick jokingly made the comment, "if I can't find somebody soon, I'm just going put you in the band" and Dave said "I'd love to be in the band."

Fannymac 02-17-2014 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1120933)
One of Christine's best friends is Mick Fleetwood. They go way back, too. (The point being that I'm sure whatever issues she's had with Dave are her's alone.)

Steve Winwood and Jim Capaldi reformed Traffic and didn't include Dave Mason. One would think that she'd take Dave's side on that, because it would mean that he wouldn't have the time to be in Fleetwood Mac.
He was "homeless" in that he doesn't have his own place, but he's on the road so much, he doesn't see the point. The reason he was staying with Mick at the time was because Jim Kruger, his guitarist and musical partner since 1974 (and writer of "We Just Disagree") died. Dave was trying to figure out his next step.

At the same time, Fleetwood Mac was listening to audition tapes, none of which were inspiring Mick. Mick's first choice was Jerry Lynn Williams, but he said no. Per the story Mick and Dave have said, Mick jokingly made the comment, "if I can't find somebody soon, I'm just going put you in the band" and Dave said "I'd love to be in the band."

There's probably a reason why they didn't include Dave....knowing that reason, Christine probably thought "Why have him if they don't want him?"

michelej1 02-17-2014 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fannymac (Post 1120920)
One of Christine's best friends is Steve Winwood....they go WAY back. At the time of TIME, there was still some major bad blood between Steve and Dave (don't know if it ever got cleared up)....she was just taking Steve's side. Plus, she didn't think he added anything to the band, that Mick had only asked him to join the group out of sympathy (I guess he was in a pretty bad way at the time....homeless, no record deal, maybe still using, etc.).

Makes me think of Christine's comments about her early years. Cameron Crowe got her to remember the pre-FM days and it's a shame that more interviews didn't focus on that, because she had a lot of history -- even before Chicken Shack -- and we don't get to hear those stories.

Quote:

By the time she made friends with the group, Christine Perfect was already a journeywoman blues-circuit rocker herself. As a “real tubby” teenager – she weighed 160 pounds at 16 – Christine and a girlfriend/singing partner snuck away from their strict parents in Birmingham and visited every talent agency they could find in London. Their act consisted of strumming guitars and warbling Everly Brothers hits. Their career, which was highlighted by a obe-song pub appearance backed by the Shadows, was cut short when their parents found them out. Christine was sent to art college in Birmingham where she joined a folk club. “We’d meet every Tuesday night, above a pub somewhere, and drink cheap beer. Whoever could, would play a folk song or violin, whatever they could do. Anyway, one night in strolls this devastatingly handsome man, who was from Birmingham University. It was Spencer Davis. I just fell in love with Spence. I swore I would get thin and go out with him.

“And I did.”

Christine and Spencer began singing together, fronting the university’s jazz band, but, she says, their relationship proved more musical than illicit. “Stevie Winwood was about 14, still in school and playing at a jazz club called the ChappelPub at lunchtime,” Christine says. “He met Spencer Davis Group.”

“I used to trail around religiously. Boy, they were so hot. Nothing was like that. Stevie Winwood played like I’d never heard anybody play before. It just gave me goose bumps. They were just a blues band, but a really, really great blues band. He [Winwood] could yell the blues. A 15-year-old boy. No one could believe it. The 19-20-year-old girls would have the hots for him.”

SteveMacD 02-18-2014 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fannymac (Post 1120938)
There's probably a reason why they didn't include Dave....knowing that reason, Christine probably thought "Why have him if they don't want him?"

Again, I doubt Steve Winwood had any influence on Christine's feelings about Dave Mason.

Traffic maintain the Dave Mason quit the band, and was never really a major part of the band. Winwood considered him to be an auxiliary musician in the band, never really a full member of the band.

Nicks Fan 02-18-2014 10:36 PM

Winwood stated once that Mason was only an invited guest in Traffic. I always thought he was an odd choice for FM. I never really liked his songs on Time but he is a good guitar player.

bobwelchera 02-22-2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

I'm very curious as to where this info derives. I've never seen such a statement about Christine and Dave and what caused the apparent friction.

MikeInNV 02-22-2014 11:43 AM

The OCD in me wants to know why this isn't in the Post-Rumours forum.

Ulpian 02-22-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeInNV (Post 1121296)
The OCD in me wants to know why this isn't in the Post-Rumours forum.

Likewise! :laugh:

MacShadowsBall 03-01-2014 10:50 AM

Question: Was Mick aware of Christine's feelings/opinions of Dave Mason before he invited Dave to join Fleetwood Mac?

Back in '74/75 Mick made a big deal that if Christine didn't get on with Stevie and Lindsey, then the deal was off. :cool:

SteveMacD 03-01-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall (Post 1121647)
Question: Was Mick aware of Christine's feelings/opinions of Dave Mason before he invited Dave to join Fleetwood Mac?

Back in '74/75 Mick made a big deal that if Christine didn't get on with Stevie and Lindsey, then the deal was off. :cool:

Since she was not touring with them, I don't think he took that into as much consideration.

MacShadowsBall 03-08-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1121651)
Since she was not touring with them, I don't think he took that into as much consideration.

That makes sense. I suppose at this time Christine wasn't interested in touring regardless of who was in or not in Fleetwood Mac. :cool:

PenguinHead 03-12-2014 01:59 AM

I happened to catch the band by chance, while on a roller coaster outing at an amusement park in California -- same line up: Pat Benetar, Fleetwood Mac, REO Speedwagon.

I was in the park and saw the advertisement. I could not believe it! It was a somewhat surreal and very strange experience to see Fleetwood Mac sans Lindsey, Stevie and Christine. I enjoyed hearing new renditions of the old songs. It was much like when the early Rumours-era band was still performing older songs from the band's history.

What was disappointing and somewhat sad was that after such a long and lauded history, this band was second on the bill of a oldies package/ nostalgia tour performing in an amusement park to a sparse, diverse and indifferent audience.

mottabam 03-12-2014 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenguinHead (Post 1122194)
I happened to catch the band by chance, while on a roller coaster outing at an amusement park in California -- same line up: Pat Benetar, Fleetwood Mac, REO Speedwagon.

I was in the park and saw the advertisement. I could not believe it! It was a somewhat surreal and very strange experience to see Fleetwood Mac sans Lindsey, Stevie and Christine. I enjoyed hearing new renditions of the old songs. It was much like when the early Rumours-era band was still performing older songs from the band's history.

What was disappointing and somewhat sad was that after such a long and lauded history, this band was second on the bill of a oldies package/ nostalgia tour performing in an amusement park to a sparse, diverse and indifferent audience.

It was kind of sad but they were starting over as a new act under an established name. The show I saw in Mansfield, MA Fleetwood Mac was the last act to perform after REO. REO's stage and lighting were impressive compared to the other 2 acts. By the time FMAC were a minute into The Chain you could see people leaving the venue. I think they were still expecting Stevie. All in all I thought they did well considering the 3 Rumours era singers/songwriters were not there.

SteveMacD 03-20-2014 06:09 PM

Can be found here
Quote:

JBatman95 : Do you still interact with other members of Fleetwood Mac?

Christine: Very much so, I have not seen Stevie in a while. I have been recording with John and Mick for the last couple years, and just ran into Lindsey at a club a couple weeks ago and had a good chat.

Gre1440: Give us your perspective on this most recent incarnation of Fleetwood Mac.

Christine: I find it a bizarre combination of people, but Mick chose Dave Mason... I don't think he is a bad guitar player, but I just don't know how he fits in with Fleetwood Mac... Great guitar player he is, he would not have been my first choice.

Question : Where is your "home base" these days, in England or in L.A.?

Christine: Both, we have a house in the south of England and in Los Angeles. I think I would like to start spending more time in England. After 25 years in L.A., my roots are calling me back home. I am going back for a short stint in a few days, I like the rain, I miss it.

Logo C: How many songs do you carry the lead vocal on the new album?

Christine: 5

SandG: Would you consider inviting Stevie on your next solo project? Your voices on Straight Back worked excellently with each other.

Christine: Absolutely, I would like to work with Stevie and Lindsey again. Some point down the line... Don't know where or when, but the possibilities are there. I think they would like to also. The more you don't hear Stevie's voice, the more you miss it. So unique.

Mavenman: Is Atlantic City on your schedule soon? I saw you at Taj Mahal about 5 years ago.

Christine: Well, I've given up the road as it were. Hung up my stageboots about three years ago.

JDForest: Will everyone since the last Fleetwood Mac album be playing on this one

Christine: Stevie is not on it, Rick Vito is not on it. The band now consists of John and Mick... Dave Mason, Bekka Bramlett (daughter of Delany and Bonnie)... Billy Burnette and Me.
I'm on the record, but I'm not touring with the band.

MastrPeace: Who would have been your first choice, as opposed to Dave Mason?

Christine: Lindsey Buckingham, I think he was the most superlative guitar player this band will ever have. A true shining light. After Lindsey, everybody else seems a little palid. I'm not talking talent, just chemistry for Fleetwood Mac.

Deminimus: Whathas been your most satisfying project?

Christine: I get a kick out of all of them. This last one has taken 2 years, because the rest of the band has gone out on the road. That is too long. I love to record. I am a studio junkie. I love it.

CARBONsux: What makes you laugh??

Christine: I like a dry sense of humor myself. Not sitcoms, that's for sure. I think all of the members of Fleetwood Mac and the peripherals of the band have a cynical sense of humor. One has to be able to laugh at oneself first, if you can do that, that is a start. I think it is a pretty mean sense of humor though. Mick is a very funny person.

Christine: Last question

ROBNORT: Why are you not currently touring with Fleetwood Mac?

Christine: Mainly because I've been with the band for 25 years. Touring was never my favorite thing to do... I get insomnia on the road. I can't sleep in strange beds night after night. Did not want to take sleeping pills, that is the begining of the end.
I would lie awake reading all night. This made me irritable. I had done it enough. Then I would drink a bottle of wine before bed... wake up with a hangover. It was a no win situation.
Maybe I'm look too far into things, but I see "not sitcoms" as being a slight to Bekka, who's mom was on "Roseanne" for a few seasons.