The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Christine Perfect Album (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=60018)

J.Miller 08-10-2023 05:39 PM

Christine Perfect Album

https://youtu.be/w4qY0RrMQOY Here is our discussion on the Christine Perfect album from 1970. Thanks again Jeremy for having me on.

Macfan4life 08-11-2023 01:51 AM

I cant wait to listen. Thank you Jeremy for showcasing these albums.

jbrownsjr 08-11-2023 07:29 AM

Yes, thank you Jeremy. Love Jim Miller, he's fun to listen to. I believe Christine is horny all throughout her career.

Working at Arby's. Respect, my friend. :woohoo:

Villavic 08-11-2023 10:15 AM

This is the Christine Perfect album, right? I've not got it yet. Probably I heard few of its songs long ago once.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/05...g?v=1646349503

So I see this album with the same track listing. Is there a difference with the original release? I mean alternate versions, mixes, etc.?

https://i.scdn.co/image/ab67616d0000...03290a73ca877f

cbBen 08-11-2023 07:21 PM

[My] car was the Christine McVehicle." So funny.

lazy poker 08-12-2023 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1286673)
So I see this album with the same track listing. Is there a difference with the original release? I mean alternate versions, mixes, etc.?

Different remaster minus "I'd Rather Go Blind" plus 1 outtake, 1 single version and 3 BBC tracks.

aleuzzi 08-12-2023 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazy poker (Post 1286701)
Different remaster minus "I'd Rather Go Blind" plus 1 outtake, 1 single version and 3 BBC tracks.

Yes, and if you haven’t heard the three BBC tunes, it’s worth getting

FuzzyPlum 08-13-2023 02:52 AM

Yep. Gone into the Sun in particular is a real ‘lost’ gem. Love it!!!!

jbrownsjr 08-14-2023 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1286734)
Yes, and if you haven’t heard the three BBC tunes, it’s worth getting

Yes, these are worth it!

aleuzzi 08-15-2023 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1286826)
Yes, these are worth it!

You and I (and Homer and David and MacFan, etc) should do a video podcast of the Christine Perfect album. I could spend ten minutes insisting that “I Want You” is one of the most sexy-cool recordings on the planet…

Penguin Emeritus 08-15-2023 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1286939)
You and I (and Homer and David and MacFan, etc) should do a video podcast of the Christine Perfect album. I could spend ten minutes insisting that “I Want You” is one of the most sexy-cool recordings on the planet…

That is a funky one! I love No Road is the Right Road, and Gone Into The Sun. Chris hated that album but i think it's got some good stuff on it.

--Lis

aleuzzi 08-15-2023 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus (Post 1286941)
That is a funky one! I love No Road is the Right Road, and Gone Into The Sun. Chris hated that album but i think it's got some good stuff on it.

--Lis

I happen to think No Road is the best song on the album. It sounds like a ready-made hit to me. I wish she had pursued some of that stax-style soul on her later albums, but hey--I love where she ended up going :-)

Gone Into the Sun, It's You I miss, and Tell Me You Need Me are all really cool tunes that would have sounded great on the album. I'm assuming they weren't completed in time? That's the only explanation I can think of.

The two tunes I really I dislike are Let Me Go (Leave Me Alone) and When You Say.

Crazy 'Bout You Baby, to my ears, sounds a lot better on the Fleetwood Mac live-in-studio recording on Madison Blues. Kirwan and Spencer each take a turn at a solo, and each is excellent.

The last five songs on Christine Perfect are so pleasing to my ears!

Penguin Emeritus 08-16-2023 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1286972)
I happen to think No Road is the best song on the album. It sounds like a ready-made hit to me. I wish she had pursued some of that stax-style soul on her later albums, but hey--I love where she ended up going :-)

Gone Into the Sun, It's You I miss, and Tell Me You Need Me are all really cool tunes that would have sounded great on the album. I'm assuming they weren't completed in time? That's the only explanation I can think of.

The two tunes I really I dislike are Let Me Go (Leave Me Alone) and When You Say.

Crazy 'Bout You Baby, to my ears, sounds a lot better on the Fleetwood Mac live-in-studio recording on Madison Blues. Kirwan and Spencer each take a turn at a solo, and each is excellent.

oh yesss I forgot about Crazy Bout You Baby (watta great groove) and Tell Me You Need Me, i love those, too!!

When You Say is a danny kirwan song so we can't hold chris responsible for that. :laugh: although i'll listen to that any day over Let me Go (Leave Me Alone.) that one is just awful.

--Lis

jbrownsjr 08-16-2023 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1286972)

Your love for this album inspires me. (truly). I've been listening to it a lot more closely. It's a great album.

aleuzzi 08-16-2023 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1286984)
Your love for this album inspires me. (truly). I've been listening to it a lot more closely. It's a great album.

Your vocals-only files have helped renew my enthusiasm…she was already singing well

jbrownsjr 08-17-2023 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1287014)
Your vocals-only files have helped renew my enthusiasm…she was already singing well

True, her discipline wasn't there. And as we know, alcohol does affect the voice live. I think coke may have grounded her a bit more.

aleuzzi 08-17-2023 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1287041)
True, her discipline wasn't there. And as we know, alcohol does affect the voice live. I think coke may have grounded her a bit more.

Darling, I love you, always, but I have NO idea how what you are saying above is connected to what I wrote about the vocals-only files you sent me, which I loved.

Please school me?

SteveMacD 08-17-2023 10:49 PM

I made a playlist that was replaced Jeremy’s Kiln House songs with songs from Christine Perfect, using all of the songs Christine wrote. Don’t know if it’s better, per se, but a kind of interesting what if.

Crazy ‘Bout You, Baby
Station Man
No Road is the Right Road
Close to Me
Jeweled Eyed Judy
-
For You
Earl Gray
Wait And See
Tell Me All the Things You Do
Let Me Go (Leave Me Alone)

aleuzzi 08-17-2023 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1287082)
I made a playlist that was replaced Jeremy’s Kiln House songs with songs from Christine Perfect, using all of the songs Christine wrote. Don’t know if it’s better, per se, but a kind of interesting what if.

Crazy ‘Bout You, Baby
Station Man
No Road is the Right Road
Close to Me
Jeweled Eyed Judy
-
For You
Earl Gray
Wait And See
Tell Me All the Things You Do
Let Me Go (Leave Me Alone)

Interesting idea but I’m here to defend Kiln House to the very end. It’s my third favorite Mac album

SteveMacD 08-17-2023 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1287083)
Interesting idea but I’m here to defend Kiln House to the very end. It’s my third favorite Mac album

Reminds me, I wonder why they didn’t do “Hi Ho Silver” when Billy was in the band? It was a staple for the Rock & Roll Trio and Billy recorded his own version on his 1980 album.

aleuzzi 08-18-2023 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1287084)
Reminds me, I wonder why they didn’t do “Hi Ho Silver” when Billy was in the band? It was a staple for the Rock & Roll Trio and Billy recorded his own version on his 1980 album.

That and "Buddy's Song" would have been fantastic.

I love everything on Kiln House except "Blood on the Floor," but even then that tune entertains me, like hideous wallpaper.

And I know it's sacrilege to say so, but I prefer Kiln House to Then Play On any day of the week. And I am someone who digs Then Play On.

lazy poker 08-18-2023 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1287090)
I love everything on Kiln House except "Blood on the Floor," but even then that tune entertains me, like hideous wallpaper.

And I know it's sacrilege to say so, but I prefer Kiln House to Then Play On any day of the week. And I am someone who digs Then Play On.

Reading this, I felt obliged to put my two cents in as well.

I was pretty astonished to see that someone took the words right out of my mouth on this - with the exception of "Blood On The Floor" which I simply can't stand at all. But apart from that one it's a joy for me to listen through the whole album.

Now, I'm a hopeless Peter Green fan - so how come me preferring "Kiln House"? Although Greeny's my guitar main man and the biggest influence on my own guitar playing, it's mainly his uptempo songs and / or the ones in major keys that I get off on these days. By now I'm a pretty old geezer, and since the love of my life has passed away I have to struggle with depressions more than before. Whereas much on "Then Play On" is in minor keys, mostly melancholic and - rather more than not - bringing me down, "Kiln House" is such an uplifting album . . . as simple as that. And it has some of Danny Kirwan's best playing (which I'm a fan of just the same) on it. And Christine, of course - although uncredited, but clearly detectable!

I'm well aware that this preference might in fact present something of a sacrilege to a lot - if not most - early Mac fans, but aleuzzi just made me voice out this humble opinion, which I'm not ashamed about at all . . . even if I drifted quite a bit off-topic. "Kiln House" is a damned fine album for me money.

aleuzzi 08-18-2023 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazy poker (Post 1287099)
Reading this, I felt obliged to put my two cents in as well.

I was pretty astonished to see that someone took the words right out of my mouth on this - with the exception of "Blood On The Floor" which I simply can't stand at all. But apart from that one it's a joy for me to listen through the whole album.

Now, I'm a hopeless Peter Green fan - so how come me preferring "Kiln House"? Although Greeny's my guitar main man and the biggest influence on my own guitar playing, it's mainly his uptempo songs and / or the ones in major keys that I get off on these days. By now I'm a pretty old geezer, and since the love of my life has passed away I have to struggle with depressions more than before. Whereas much on "Then Play On" is in minor keys, mostly melancholic and - rather more than not - bringing me down, "Kiln House" is such an uplifting album . . . as simple as that. And it has some of Danny Kirwan's best playing (which I'm a fan of just the same) on it. And Christine, of course - although uncredited, but clearly detectable!

I'm well aware that this preference might in fact present something of a sacrilege to a lot - if not most - early Mac fans, but aleuzzi just made me voice out this humble opinion, which I'm not ashamed about at all . . . even if I drifted quite a bit off-topic. "Kiln House" is a damned fine album for me money.

Amen! I happen to love the minor-key tunes on Then Play On. But Kiln House is just such an earthy, unpretentious joy. And Jeremy surpasses himself, I think. He was always a great imitator, but he comes into his own here using the 50s sun sound. Danny, of course, owns the spotlight whenever he takes it…

SteveMacD 08-18-2023 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1287105)
Amen! I happen to love the minor-key tunes on Then Play On.

I was listening to “Closing My Eyes” and it hit me it would have been better served with a Brian Wilson/Gary Usher/‘60s Laurel Canyon style of production.

aleuzzi 08-18-2023 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1287110)
I was listening to “Closing My Eyes” and it hit me it would have been better served with a Brian Wilson/Gary Usher/‘60s Laurel Canyon style of production.

Before the Beginning is hypnotic…

But—and it’s a big but—for Then Play On’s excellence, I still prefer Kiln House.

SteveMacD 08-20-2023 10:54 PM

Mike Vernon missed a golden opportunity for an album title for Christine Perfect:

The Hen Flies The Coop.

jbrownsjr 08-21-2023 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1287047)
Darling, I love you, always, but I have NO idea how what you are saying above is connected to what I wrote about the vocals-only files you sent me, which I loved.

Please school me?

What I meant was at times she was in complete control. Other times, maybe she was drunk. And then later the coke tends to help people focus.

I know singing drunk is really difficult for me.

aleuzzi 08-21-2023 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1287241)
What I meant was at times she was in complete control. Other times, maybe she was drunk. And then later the coke tends to help people focus.

I know singing drunk is really difficult for me.

Oh, yes, I see what you mean--and there were definitely times when she was...woozy boozy...

I love her vocals on the 1984 tour. Some of those recordings floating around on YouTube show she was in great shape.

jbrownsjr 08-21-2023 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1287251)
Oh, yes, I see what you mean--and there were definitely times when she was...woozy boozy...

I love her vocals on the 1984 tour. Some of those recordings floating around on YouTube show she was in great shape.

God yes!! When she sang Smile in Cleveland I was moved to tears.