The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Christine's death certificate (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59912)

Mr Scarrott 04-03-2023 02:33 PM

Christine's death certificate

This appears to be legit. It's tough to read.

https://theblast.com/471571/fleetwoo...cer-diagnosis/

sleepless child 04-03-2023 03:09 PM

It really is tough to read. To hear she had Cancer, which I suspected, but of course we had no proof till now. And it had spread so much they don't know the origins of it. Plus the massive stroke. Just too awful.

bombaysaffires 04-03-2023 05:36 PM

it also lists renal (kidney) failure.

Ischemic strokes can be caused by very small blockages in blood vessels in the brain that are often associated with smoking (among other causes). This happened to my dad, who was a lifelong smoker. I am so against smoking but it's a really hard addiction to break... my dad tried everything under the sun, and even when he could quit for a one or two year stretch it always pulled him back.

It does seem odd that she'd be riddled with cancer and have not detected it via some sort of diagnostic imaging... even if she didn't suspect she had cancer, she did mention her back issues (scoliosis) and one would think some sort of imaging would have been done at some point for that problem if not in an ongoing way at least at one point in time such that the cancer, in what would appear to be many different organs, would have shown up at some point. Who knows. :shrug:

It suggests she may have had the stroke, been found and rushed to hospital, and just never recovered. If she went peacefully then that at least is a blessing in all this. :angel: As I type this I am looking at her wardrobe road case, which I bought at the auction of her stuff. It still smells of her perfume.:angel:

SteveMacD 04-03-2023 07:15 PM

The renal failure would also explain the back pain.

jmn3 04-03-2023 08:11 PM

Poor Chris - I really hope she didn’t suffer a lot of pain in her last days. I’m still dumbfounded that she’s not here anymore. I learned of her death while I was driving home from burying one of my oldest and closest friends and it still just feels like one big cloudy dream for the last four months.

I’m so appreciative of the nearly ten year second (or third?) act we got from a Chris starting in 2013. 2018 aside, the On With the Show Tour and the entire BuckVie album/tour were a completely unexpected treat and thankfully we got it when we did.

:(

Penguin Emeritus 04-03-2023 08:16 PM

ugh i had suspected it was some awful cancer that had spread everywhere. cancer sucks.

But she knew she was dying before she had the stroke.

reading the cause of death stuff made me cry again. it's like it hit me again that she's gone.

--Lis

bombaysaffires 04-04-2023 12:28 AM

she knew she wasn't up for any more tours when she told BBC Radio that the band was done, her health and John's health weren't good (whether or not she knew what she had at that point) and still Mick and company made her walk it back. :mad:

HomerMcvie 04-04-2023 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1283789)
she knew she wasn't up for any more tours when she told BBC Radio that the band was done, her health and John's health weren't good (whether or not she knew what she had at that point) and still Mick and company made her walk it back. :mad:

Mick is SCUM, and Stevie's not far behind him.

I was adopted at birth, and my birth father died with cancer in his spine. When I read that Christine had been having back pain forever, I seriously wondered if that was the case. I have previously mentioned to physicians in the past, since I was adopted, when they have asked of my history, that my birth father died with cancer in his spine. They informed me that it never starts there. That it spreads from another organ or something nearby.

Wdm6789 04-04-2023 05:01 AM

Her estate was worth over $50 million. Could someone explain the UK tax liability thing though?

Mr Scarrott 04-04-2023 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wdm6789 (Post 1283794)
Her estate was worth over $50 million. Could someone explain the UK tax liability thing though?

The bulk of Christine's UK estate would be taxed at 40%- anything over the value of £325,000. Obviously we can't know if there were any other tax issues outstanding at the time of her death which needed to be resolved.

Some guidance is here:

https://www.agespace.org/finance/inh...resholds-rates

Wdm6789 04-04-2023 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott (Post 1283797)
The bulk of Christine's UK estate would be taxed at 40%- anything over the value of £325,000. Obviously we can't know if there were any other tax issues outstanding at the time of her death which needed to be resolved.

Some guidance is here:

https://www.agespace.org/finance/inh...resholds-rates

It said most of her assets were in the US, but she did have some money in the UK. I would assume to mitigate the hefty tax bill. 31 million euros is a lot lol.

sue 04-04-2023 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wdm6789 (Post 1283794)

My understanding of UK taxes at death…
Upto £325000 no Inheritance tax.
Over £325000 tax of 40% applied.
So in £50,000000 million almost 40% paid on the lot, really.
Although my estate is a tad smaller than Christine’s…I think that’s it..
Basically Over £325000 you lose almost half of it in tax.
I am sure there are legal ways trusts, funds money and gifts that can help to avoid paying that much….

jbrownsjr 04-04-2023 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1283784)
Poor Chris - I really hope she didn’t suffer a lot of pain in her last days. I’m still dumbfounded that she’s not here anymore. I learned of her death while I was driving home from burying one of my oldest and closest friends and it still just feels like one big cloudy dream for the last four months.

I’m so appreciative of the nearly ten year second (or third?) act we got from a Chris starting in 2013. 2018 aside, the On With the Show Tour and the entire BuckVie album/tour were a completely unexpected treat and thankfully we got it when we did.

:(

Wow, that's rough. We got your back. It's been crazy and surreal for sure. :distress:

Wdm6789 04-04-2023 10:28 AM

It’s really cool that Christine came back for her final years. She did 3 tours and an album. It’s just such a shame what happened in 2018. The 2018-2019 should have been the Rumous farewell tour.

Also, Christine’s final live performance was in February of 2020 in England at the Peter Green tribute concert thing. It’s kind of poetic that Christine’s final performance was back to her old English blues roots.

Macfan4life 04-04-2023 11:35 AM

My mother passed of a major stroke too. There were life support issues and it took a few days for her to officially pass. There could have been a similar situation which explains how this all surprised everyone.
I respect her family's request to not reveal her cause of death so I feel guilty even talking about. I would only add maybe like my mom it was quick and over. I watched my cousins in agony watching their parents in nursing homes for years with dementia or watch them die slowly with cancer. When its time go to sometimes something quick is the way to go. But sadly we dont get that choice.

Gosh her last 8 years were nothing short of amazing especially at her age.

"Miss me but let me go"

sleepless child 04-04-2023 12:10 PM

I wonder if the family were waiting for the autopsy report and that is why cause of death wasn't said at first. She could have had the cancer and not told anyone, or even not known herself. If it had spread that much, it must have been there for awhile. My mom was stage 4 Ovarian when she found out and lasted one year. Even though she was having some symptoms she never said anything for a long time. This just breaks my heart for her. It all seemed to have come on so fast. She had done her Songbird reissue and some press and the next thing you know she has passed. She probably had the stroke at home and was on life support. I still wonder why Stevie was told to wait to come. Sounds like she wasn't really wanted there. I thought I read that John was at her side. I'm so glad to hear this and hope it's true. I bid on a few of her things at the auction, now I wish I had bid enough to win something.

Macfan4life 04-04-2023 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepless child (Post 1283806)
I wonder if the family were waiting for the autopsy report and that is why cause of death wasn't said at first. She could have had the cancer and not told anyone, or even not known herself. If it had spread that much, it must have been there for awhile. My mom was stage 4 Ovarian when she found out and lasted one year. Even though she was having some symptoms she never said anything for a long time. This just breaks my heart for her. It all seemed to have come on so fast. She had done her Songbird reissue and some press and the next thing you know she has passed. She probably had the stroke at home and was on life support. I still wonder why Stevie was told to wait to come. Sounds like she wasn't really wanted there. I thought I read that John was at her side. I'm so glad to hear this and hope it's true. I bid on a few of her things at the auction, now I wish I had bid enough to win something.

Which could mean there could have been life support issues. The few family gather and then say goodbye. When my mother had her stroke, she had not much brain activity but had life support machine that her family decided when to let go. You are correct she may or may not have known about the cancer. But I bet she knew.

bombaysaffires 04-04-2023 01:21 PM

Quote:

Because Stevie likely brings a circus with her. I always think of Chrissie Hynde's comment when they toured together that "it's like traveling with Liz Taylor".

Also, Stevie draws the press, even when not trying. So if she flew in, and anyone saw her at the airport or wherever, someone would alert the press. And someone would surely see her at the hospital, no matter how hard they tried. And to make sure she DIDN"T get seen would require the family and the hospital etc to put in a lot of effort...which I'm sure the family had no desire to provide nor the ability given their emotional state. It sounds like the stroke was unexpected and I'm sure there was a lot of scrambling and phone calls etc and who needs a big star making it more of a cluster. Not that that would be Stevie's intent, but it would be what would happen. And for what gain, really? To make Stevie feel better? That's nice and all, but this was private and family only, as it should have been. I don't doubt Stevie's sincere feelings, but.... this was not about her in the least. And her presence would have been a totally unnecessary distraction and strain on resources.

sue 04-04-2023 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1283805)
My mother passed of a major stroke too. There were life support issues and it took a few days for her to officially pass. There could have been a similar situation which explains how this all surprised everyone.
I respect her family's request to not reveal her cause of death so I feel guilty even talking about. I would only add maybe like my mom it was quick and over. I watched my cousins in agony watching their parents in nursing homes for years with dementia or watch them die slowly with cancer. When its time go to sometimes something quick is the way to go. But sadly we dont get that choice.

Gosh her last 8 years were nothing short of amazing especially at her age.

"Miss me but let me go"

My dear dear husband had dementia for 7 years and spent the last 4 in a nursing home, before he died peacefully.
My mother in law had an enormous stroke and died almost instantly…although this was a shock for everyone at the time…
I can say definitely which was better for everyone.

bombaysaffires 04-04-2023 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott (Post 1283773)
This appears to be legit. It's tough to read.

https://theblast.com/471571/fleetwoo...cer-diagnosis/

Info regarding the residence listed for her.

Really interesting article about the prestigious building and neighborhood.
https://www.standard.co.uk/hp/front/...e-6619836.html
Eaton Square and Cadogan Square have long been among the most prestigious addresses in London, the jewels in the crown of the ancient Grosvenor and Cadogan estates respectively.Eaton Square was built by the Duke of Westminster along with Belgrave Square and Chester Square in the 19th century and is named after Eaton Hall, the Grosvenor family seat in Cheshire. It is "the most prestigious Belgravia address", according to Charlie Willis, of estate agents Strutt & Parker, and notable past residents include Prime Ministers Neville Chamberlain and Stanley Baldwin and former Foreign Secretary Lord Halifax.

Highlighted table they included about her bldg:

EATON SQUARE, SW1

Where? In the heart of Belgravia and part Duke of Westminster's London estate.

Why? Huge houses and lavish flats in the most prestigious garden square in London.

How much? Houses cost £20 to £30million

What the agents say: Brian D'Arcy Clark, Savills: "Eaton Square is probably the best known square in London, an address that is instantly recognisable anywhere in the world."[/I]

Additional info:

https://themovemarket.com/tools/prop...ondon-sw1x-8df
Property summary
Flat 3, 69 Eaton Place is a leasehold flat - it is ranked as the 4th most expensive property in SW1X 8DF, with a valuation of £8,057,000.
Since it last sold in September 2017 for £7,500,000, its value has increased by £557,000.

AliP 04-04-2023 03:01 PM

Likely lung cancer as that causes debilitating back pain. I would suspect she knew, if they at the very least, got an Xray or CT scan. My mother in law was diagnosed with lung cancer and had horrible back pain as well. It quickly spread to her brain. She only lived 5 months after diagnosis.

It could be that Christine was doing chemo and caused the stroke or it had spread to her brain as well. In any event, RIP Christine.

Penguin Emeritus 04-04-2023 03:03 PM

Quote:

This just breaks my heart for her. It all seemed to have come on so fast. She had done her Songbird reissue and some press and the next thing you know she has passed. She probably had the stroke at home and was on life support. I still wonder why Stevie was told to wait to come. Sounds like she wasn't really wanted there. I thought I read that John was at her side. I'm so glad to hear this and hope it's true. I bid on a few of her things at the auction, now I wish I had bid enough to win something.

Yes he was there, and before the stroke. I don't think she knew very long about the cancer, or how advanced it was. It happened pretty quickly, but she definitely knew she was dying. In a way it almost worked out for the best because she already had loved ones around her at the time of the stroke.

--Lis

Penguin Emeritus 04-04-2023 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1283810)
Because Stevie likely brings a circus with her. I always think of Chrissie Hynde's comment when they toured together that "it's like traveling with Liz Taylor".

Also, Stevie draws the press, even when not trying. So if she flew in, and anyone saw her at the airport or wherever, someone would alert the press. And someone would surely see her at the hospital, no matter how hard they tried. And to make sure she DIDN"T get seen would require the family and the hospital etc to put in a lot of effort...which I'm sure the family had no desire to provide nor the ability given their emotional state. It sounds like the stroke was unexpected and I'm sure there was a lot of scrambling and phone calls etc and who needs a big star making it more of a cluster. Not that that would be Stevie's intent, but it would be what would happen. And for what gain, really? To make Stevie feel better? That's nice and all, but this was private and family only, as it should have been. I don't doubt Stevie's sincere feelings, but.... this was not about her in the least. And her presence would have been a totally unnecessary distraction and strain on resources.

Bingo.

--Lis

bombaysaffires 04-04-2023 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus (Post 1283814)
Yes he was there, and before the stroke. I don't think she knew very long about the cancer, or how advanced it was. It happened pretty quickly, but she definitely knew she was dying. In a way it almost worked out for the best because she already had loved ones around her at the time of the stroke.

--Lis

Makes me wonder was this part of the motivation to downsize and sell off possessions and do things like the auction? I would imagine that would have taken about a year to plan and catalog all the items and get them to LA for sale and all that.... so maybe that was already in the works simply given her age and not specifically due to health...?

bombaysaffires 04-04-2023 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus (Post 1283814)

--Lis

Makes his showing up for the auction 3 days later all the more heartbreaking.

Penguin Emeritus 04-04-2023 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1283816)
Makes me wonder was this part of the motivation to downsize and sell off possessions and do things like the auction? I would imagine that would have taken about a year to plan and catalog all the items and get them to LA for sale and all that.... so maybe that was already in the works simply given her age and not specifically due to health...?

Yes i think she was sort of just downsizing for the auction and was really into the curating of the items and supporting the charity etc. Don't think she knew she was dying at that time, esp not at beginning of the process.

That absolutely ripped my heart out when i heard John went there to auction. i actually emailed the auction house itself to verify that it was true. it had been something that was so important to chris. he is an amazingly strong individual.

--Lis

sleepless child 04-04-2023 03:46 PM

I think I feel the most heartbreak for John right now. I don't think his health is that great and to lose Chris who he stayed close to even after their marriage.

Given the 2019 tour without Lindsey, It probably is for the best that Fleetwood Mac is officially over. If I were John, it would be hard to forgive Stevie and Mick for that last tour. I think they all new it was John's last and maybe Chris too.

I will never, ever understand Stevie for doing that. It hurt the band, their legacy and the fan base. And for what? Jealousy, hurt feelings? It's so beyond the norm. I'm so thankful that John got well and Chris came back and the band got to tour and I got to see them one last time. And the Fleetwood Mac album without Stevie. At least we got some new Chris music with Lindsey and Mick and John. I have followed this band since 1975 and it's amazing the journey they have travelled through the years. So crazy at times. Who would have thought?

SteveMacD 04-04-2023 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepless child (Post 1283819)
Given the 2019 tour without Lindsey, It probably is for the best that Fleetwood Mac is officially over. If I were John, it would be hard to forgive Stevie and Mick for that last tour.

John and Mick were hanging out after Christine died. Also, he went to see Stevie last year. She dedicated “Landslide” to him. I think he was mostly neutral on Lindsey.

I’m curious if Mick was there with the family, too?

bwboy 04-04-2023 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepless child (Post 1283819)
Given the 2019 tour without Lindsey, It probably is for the best that Fleetwood Mac is officially over. If I were John, it would be hard to forgive Stevie and Mick for that last tour. I think they all new it was John's last and maybe Chris too.

I will never, ever understand Stevie for doing that. It hurt the band, their legacy and the fan base. And for what? Jealousy, hurt feelings? It's so beyond the norm. I'm so thankful that John got well and Chris came back and the band got to tour and I got to see them one last time. And the Fleetwood Mac album without Stevie. At least we got some new Chris music with Lindsey and Mick and John. I have followed this band since 1975 and it's amazing the journey they have travelled through the years. So crazy at times. Who would have thought?

John didn’t have to tour with them. If he was that unhappy about the line up change, he could have refused. All he had to do was tell his doctor he didn’t feel up to touring after his cancer battle, and he would have been medically excused. Again, if John didn’t want to tour, he wouldn’t have. He did, and I’m glad that he got to tour with Christine one more time.

I think it’s important to point out that our feelings about what the band members do don’t matter. If you’re still angry after five years that Lindsey was fired, go for it. We know he went to one of Stevie’s shows not that long ago, so clearly John isn’t holding any grudges at all.

Penguin Emeritus 04-04-2023 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1283820)
John and Mick were hanging out after Christine died. Also, he went to see Stevie last year. She dedicated “Landslide” to him. I think he was mostly neutral on Lindsey.

I’m curious if Mick was there with the family, too?

No, he wasn't. It was an extremely small group.

I'm not sure I'd say John and Mick were 'hanging out' after Chris died... They were grieving together. :(

End of life care is not a glamorous time. I would imagine the people that you would want with you would be those that you are truly the closest to, whom you know adore you and that you trust 100%...both to protect your privacy, and to do what's best for you if you cannot do or speak for yourself.

She had enough time to make her choices about who she wanted there and what she wanted done.

I think it's very admirable that for 4 months we heard not a peep about a cause of death, because the people with her didn't say a word. It only came out because of these court papers. If her wishes were to keep things private, as I'm assuming they were, then she chose the right people to have around her. But at some point, things such as court papers were out of their control.

--Lis

aleuzzi 04-04-2023 09:15 PM

News reports of the official cause of her death are brining back a lot of the pain, the grief feels fresh for me tonight as I type this. And to add to this the rather seedy reporting of her finances/taxes (which I think should NOT be shared with the world)—that leaves me even sadder. Is that what is left? Discussions of money? It all feels so...diminishing. Knowing how and why she died is one thing. Learning there’s an outstanding tax bill is another...

SteveMacD 04-04-2023 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus (Post 1283822)
I'm not sure I'd say John and Mick were 'hanging out' after Chris died... They were grieving together. :(

Point being that they were together after Christine died, which was in response to the idea that John would never forgive Mick and Stevie for what happened in 2018.

Penguin Emeritus 04-05-2023 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1283834)
Point being that they were together after Christine died, which was in response to the idea that John would never forgive Mick and Stevie for what happened in 2018.

Well that's true. I don't think John was holding any grudges about that.

--Lis

HomerMcvie 04-05-2023 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus (Post 1283836)
Well that's true. I don't think John was holding any grudges about that.

--Lis

EVEN THOUGH Stevie ruined the legacy of the band.

SteveMacD 04-05-2023 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1283837)
EVEN THOUGH Stevie ruined the legacy of the band.

I suspect John holds significantly more bitterness about the Munich military brats dosing Peter Green than Lindsey getting sacked.

aleuzzi 04-05-2023 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1283838)
I suspect John holds significantly more bitterness about the Munich military brats dosing Peter Green than Lindsey getting sacked.

True statement!

Also, John was not pleased when Bob Welch left. Even when the band became a huge success, he felt ambivalent about what they then were. In 1977, when RS profiled the band, John was interviewed on his yacht/boat, where he was living at the time. He said he was perfectly happy with how the band was faring BEFORE 1975.

jbrownsjr 04-05-2023 09:25 AM

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/chri...184908413.html

HomerMcvie 04-05-2023 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1283841)
True statement!

Also, John was not pleased when Bob Welch left. Even when the band became a huge success, he felt ambivalent about what they then were. In 1977, when RS profiled the band, John was interviewed on his yacht/boat, where he was living at the time. He said he was perfectly happy with how the band was faring BEFORE 1975.

That says a lot about who he is. Stevie and Mick are the polar opposites of that.

bwboy 04-05-2023 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1283845)
That says a lot about who he is. Stevie and Mick are the polar opposites of that.

Homer, consider letting go of the need to mention your hatred of Mick and Stevie in every response you make. It makes your posts less repetitious when you don’t post the same thing every time.

bombaysaffires 04-05-2023 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1283834)

I would suspect that John (and all the Brits) understood that Stevie and Lindsey had a complicated relationship that pre-dates joining FM, and they have seen that dynamic play out for DECADES now. So while they may have opinions and feelings about tampering with the band's lineup so late in the game, they would also understand (better than most other bands) the challenges of working with an ex and how the old baggage never really goes away. So John I would think would likely have looked at what happened as being between Stevie and Lindsey and he wasn't going to wade into the middle of that sh*tshow....He probably took a pragmatic approach like, ok how do we meet our obligations to do all these shows we've signed contracts to do so we don't get sued and so I still get paid...:eek: :shocked: