The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Best Song From Every Fleetwood Mac Album (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58589)

kak125 03-04-2019 10:19 AM

The Best Song From Every Fleetwood Mac Album

The twisted history that marks Fleetwood Mac's various lineups over the years carries over to their decades of records. That makes our list of the Best Song From Every Fleetwood Mac Album a bit complicated.
Early standout singles like "Albatross," "Black Magic Woman," "Oh Well," "Man of the World" and "The Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown)" aren't found on the original U.K. pressings of their albums from the late '60s and early '70s; you'll have to track down one of the group's many compilations for most of those songs.

The band's history – especially before the arrival of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks took them to a whole other level – is incomplete without those essential singles. Still, the nine albums made before the U.S.-bred couple joined the fledgling U.K. blues band contain some good songs buried among the shuffling grooves, by-the-numbers covers and forgettable, misguided attempts at finding some direction. But sometimes you gotta dig pretty deep to find them.

That's not the case with the records Fleetwood Mac made during their peak period. In fact, singling out just one great song from albums like Fleetwood Mac, Rumours and Tusk isn't easy. Entire box sets could be constructed from the dozen-year period between 1975 and 1987. Once Buckingham left, and eventually Nicks too, things got a bit messy again, even though Christine McVie – who appears on all but the first Fleetwood Mac album, though not always as a member – continued to write and sing some good songs.
But, again, sometimes you gotta dig pretty deep to find them. Christine turns out to be the band's MVP throughout their half-century career, keeping the band alive – along with Mick Fleetwood and John McVie – when it looked like it was DOA. But they've always been more than just the sum of their parts, as you'll see in our below list of the Best Song From Every Fleetwood Mac Album.

'Fleetwood Mac' (1968): "Shake Your Moneymaker"
Fleetwood Mac's debut album, which is also known as ' Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac,' is mostly a showcase for co-founder, singer and guitarist Green, who replaced Eric Clapton in John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers. It's a mix of originals and covers by some of Green's most revered blues artists – especially Elmore James, whose "Shake Your Moneymaker" is the show-stopping song on the band's most purely blues album. A strong intro by a band that was just getting started.

'Mr. Wonderful' (1968): "Stop Messin' Round"
Fleetwood Mac's second album is one of their weakest, even though Chrsitine McVie (still known as Christine Perfect) makes her first appearance. She'd have to wait another three years before becoming an official member of the band. Peter Green was still in charge, and he was still infatuated with bluesman Elmore James, whose sound is all over 'Mr. Wonderful.' The most spirited ripoff is "Stop Messin' Round," an original that shows off the group's air-tight blues swing.

'Then Play On' (1969): "Rattlesnake Shake"
The band's third album went through a few configurations after its release, including a second U.S. version that included "Oh Well," which would have been 'Then Play On''s best song if it were on the original U.K. pressing. But it wasn't, so we're going with another Peter Green scorcher from the era, "Rattlesnake Shake." It's one of the group's fiercest rockers, still rooted in the blues and pushed forward by the band's interplay. Green was gone after this LP, leaving the singing and guitar playing to Danny Kirwan and Jeremy Spencer.

'Kiln House' (1970): "Station Man"
The first of several transitional Fleetwood Mac albums, 'Kiln House' was the band's first without Peter Green, last with Jeremy Spencer and one that includes uncredited contributions by Christine McVie, who'd join the band as a full-time member shortly after its release. "Station Man" sums up the period the best – a shuffling boogie that clocks in at nearly six minutes and features Danny Kirwan leading the group closer to more contemporary waters as a new decade dawned

'Future Games' (1971): "Sands of Time"
Christine McVie, who's contributed to every Fleetwood Mac album since their second, is finally promoted to a full-time member. And American Bob Welch is on board for the group's biggest push away from the blues of its early years and toward the radio-friendly pop that would take the band to superstar status in a half-decade. Danny Kirwan wrote half of 'Future Games'' songs, including "Sands of Time," which sounds like a sign of things to come with its intricate guitar work and dreamy pop foundation.

'Bare Trees' (1972): "Sentimental Lady"
Bob Welch had a Top 10 solo hit with his "Sentimental Lady" in 1977, and he had his old bandmates Mick Fleetwood and Christine McVie (who played on the original Fleetwood Mac recording) guest on it. Lindsey Buckingham, who joined after Welch left, also showed up on the solo version. The original track, a highlight on the otherwise empty 'Bare Trees,' is more subdued than the later redo, but the song's strong melodic hook and Welch's delicate delivery carry things.

Penguin' (1973): "Did You Ever Love Me"
Fleetwood Mac's seventh album is one of their messiest. Danny Kirwan was gone, and Bob Weston and Dave Walker (on his only Mac record) were added to the ever-changing lineup. The best song, "Did You Ever Love Me," was written by Christine McVie and Bob Welch and sung by McVie and Weston. It's the LP's most memorable track from a lengthy stretch of spotty recordings by the band. They'd shuffle around for a couple more years before hitting on a winning formula.

Mystery to Me' (1973): "Hypnotized"
Fleetwood Mac were inching closer to the pop music that would make them one of the planet's biggest bands in a couple years. Much credit goes to Christine McVie and Bob Welch, who wrote the bulk of material found on 'Mystery to Me." The highlight is Welch's "Hypnotized," a moody slow-burner that turned up as the B-side of the inferior "For Your Love" single. It's also one of the band's most musically adventurous tracks from the pre-Buckingham years, steering it toward something approaching jazz. Welch's finest moment with Fleetwood Mac – and maybe of his entire career.

'Heroes Are Hard to Find' (1974): "Heroes Are Hard to Find"
Christine McVie has long been Fleetwood Mac's ace in the hole. She became a full-time member with 1971's 'Future Games,' and by 1973's 'Penguin' she was penning highlights like "Did You Ever Love Me" with Bob Welch. Here, she wrote and sang their ninth LP's title track all by herself, and managed to top everything else around it – though, granted, that wasn't too hard in this case. Either way, "Heroes Are Hard to Find" paved the way for Mac's huge makeover the next year.

'Fleetwood Mac' (1975): "Rhiannon"
The entire dynamic of the band changed after Americans Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined the onetime British blues rockers on their 10th album. The self-titled record became their first No. 1 (first to crack the Top 30, in fact), and set them up as one of the era's biggest acts. Together, Buckingham and Nicks contributed more than half of the album's songs, and "Rhiannon" – Nicks' rumination on "an old Welsh witch" – became one of several key tracks that jump-started the band. It also almost gave Fleetwood Mac their first Top 10 single.

'Rumours' (1977): "Go Your Own Way"
'Fleetwood Mac,' from 1975, was one thing, but 'Rumours' was on a whole different level. Almost every song on the 1977 LP is a classic; you could build a Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits album out of 'Rumours' alone. Its very best track, though, is Buckingham's kiss-off to former girlfriend Nicks, "Go Your Own Way." It's super-bitchy and super-hooky, and features a killer guitar solo. It also reached the Top 10, a first for the band after nearly a decade of records. But really, if you want to pick another song for this album, we're totally okay with that.

'Tusk' (1979): "Tusk"
For the follow-up to their superstar-making 'Rumours,' Fleetwood Mac's three singer-songwriters went their own ways on a mesmerizing double album that contains some of their best work. But 'Tusk' was essentially Lindsey Buckingham's project, a studio-as-playground masterpiece that shaped as one the era's most endlessly fascinating, and most expensive, records. It's only fitting one of his songs takes the spotlight here. The title track piles on layers of percussion, found sounds and the University of Southern California's marching band to become one of the weirdest singles to ever hit the Top 10.

'Mirage' (1982): "Gypsy"
Following the sprawling double LP 'Tusk,' a creative high point but somewhat of a commercial disappointment, the band took a break from recording and each other. 'Mirage' featured a stripped-down and leaner Fleetwood Mac, a return to the radio-friendly songcraft that made them one of the late-'70s' biggest groups. Stevie Nicks' "Gypsy" is one of her all-time best, originally slated for her debut solo album 'Bella Donna' but held back for Fleetwood Mac. Wise move, since Lindsey Buckingham's sterling production and guitar solo elevate the song, already one of Nicks' catchiest, to a majestic place.

'Tango in the Night' (1987): "Everywhere"
Lindsey Buckingham's last studio LP with the band for more than 15 years includes his great "Big Love." But Christine McVie's "Everywhere" is the album's centerpiece, another of her deceivingly straightforward pop love songs that subtly burrows itself under your skin. Like many of her later period songs, its shimmering beauty rides along a masterful hook and melody. "Everywhere" was the fourth single released from 'Tango in the Night,' the final Mac LP to include the classic lineup.

Behind the Mask' (1990): "Save Me"
Lindsey Buckingham left the band before their 15th album, though he plays guitar on one track. New guys Billy Burnette and Rick Vito contribute songs and vocals, but it's Christine McVie who once again checks in with a highlight. "Save Me" often sounds like a product of its era, with late-'80s/early-'90s production and other lamentable studio choices dominating much of 'Behind the Mask,' but it doesn't get in the way of McVie's melody here. This is Fleetwood Mac's final Top 40 song in the U.S. to date.

'Time' (1995): "I Do"
Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham are missing (though Buckingham sings backing vocals on one track), and Bekka Bramlett and Dave Mason are here. Nobody cared, and the album couldn't even crack the Top 200 in the U.S. Christine McVie was still around, and co-wrote and sang five cuts, including highlight "I Do." It's not quite vintage Fleetwood Mac, but her warm voice and easy way with a melody are as close as 'Time' gets to reminding you this is a Fleetwood Mac album.

'Say You Will' (2003): "Peacekeeper"
The 1997 concert reunion album 'The Dance' sparked a revival of the band's huge catalog of hits. Their first studio album since the return included limited input by Christine McVie, who was no longer in the band, but Lindsey Buckingham was back and he ended up contributing songs earmarked for a solo LP – including "Peacekeeper," a relatively straightforward pop-rock cut that reins in his famous experimental streak.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/best-...ood-mac-songs/

jbrownsjr 03-04-2019 01:37 PM

Very nice article giving credit where all credit is due.

aleuzzi 03-04-2019 05:37 PM

I can't help myself: the best cuts on each record (as opposed to my favorite):

'Fleetwood Mac' (1968): "I Loved Another Woman"

'Mr. Wonderful' (1968): "Love That Burns:

'Then Play On' (1969): "Before the Beginning"

'Future Games' (1971): "Future Games"

'Bare Trees' (1972): "Dust"

Penguin' (1973): "Remember Me"

'Heroes Are Hard to Find' (1974): "Bad Loser"

'Mirage' (1982): "Hold Me" / "Gypsy"

'Tango in the Night' (1987): "Little Lies"

'Behind the Mask' (1990): "Save Me"

'Time' (1995): "Hollywood (Some Other Kind of Town)"

'Say You Will' (2003): "Say Goodbye"

&&&&&&

'Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie: "Carnival Begin"

jbrownsjr 03-04-2019 09:02 PM

Fleetwood Mac' (1968): "I Loved Another Woman"

'Future Games' (1971): "Woman of 1000 Years"

'Bare Trees' (1972): "Bare Trees"

Penguin' (1973): "Revelation"

Mystery to Me' (1973): "Why"

'Heroes Are Hard to Find' (1974): "Angel"

'Fleetwood Mac' (1975): "World Turning"

'Rumours' (1977): "You Make Lovin Fun"

'Tusk' (1979): "Brown Eyes"

'Mirage' (1982): "Hold Me"

'Tango in the Night' (1987): "Big Love"

'Time' (1995): "Talkin To My Heart"

'Say You Will' (2003): "Come"

'Fleetwood Mac BuckVie: "Carnival Begin"

lovethemac1 03-04-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1249840)

I just LOOOOOVVVVEEE "Dust." I think I had just forgotten about it for a few decades, but it seems to take me back to a beautiful time.

blinker12 03-05-2019 07:22 AM

Well considered list by a writer who clearly knows his/her Mac facts.

I just heard “Did You Ever” for the first time in a long time the other day, was reminded how fun it is.

jbrownsjr 03-05-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinker12 (Post 1249856)
Well considered list by a writer who clearly knows his/her Mac facts.

I just heard “Did You Ever” for the first time in a long time the other day, was reminded how fun it is.

Christine is so clutch for so many albums. It's why I consider her Fleetwood Mac more than any other member.

Did You Ever Love Me is such a great song.

Oh you're a dream
Hide your head in the sand
You're far away, when I want you around
And you leave me lonely when I'm feeling down
Do your ever wonder or worry about me?
Did I ever love you, did you ever love me?
Do your ever wonder or worry about me?
Did I ever love you, did you ever love me?
Why is it baby, our love just won't grow?
You made me happy but time has gone by
Please leave me softly, I won't say goodbye
So all I wanted slips through my hands

aleuzzi 03-05-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1249851)

'Future Games' (1971): "Woman of 1000 Years"

'Bare Trees' (1972): "Bare Trees"

Penguin' (1973): "Revelation"

Mystery to Me' (1973): "Why"

'Heroes Are Hard to Find' (1974): "Angel"

'Fleetwood Mac' (1975): "World Turning"

'Rumours' (1977): "You Make Lovin Fun"

'Tusk' (1979): "Brown Eyes"

'Tango in the Night' (1987): "Big Love"

'Time' (1995): "Talkin To My Heart"

'Say You Will' (2003): "Come"

'Fleetwood Mac BuckVie: "Carnival Begin"

I love this list. Except "Come."

HomerMcvie 03-05-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1249863)
I love this list. Except "Come."

I hate that song.

My friend had bought the deluxe version of SYW, heard Come, decided that she HATED it, and gave it to me. She said, "this doesn't sound like FM".

elle 03-05-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1249866)
I hate that song.

My friend had bought the deluxe version of SYW, heard Come, decided that she HATED it, and gave it to me. She said, "this doesn't sound like FM".

it doesn't! it's WAY better. it actually rocks. i always loved that part of DR doc when it just starts, the opening credits roll, and that song comes on - and it is so awe-inspiring to think - wow this IS FM now! :]

that didn't last long, of course. like Tusk, any forward motion was pulled back. or just killed right in its tracks. that said, as i've gotten older i became more mellow too, and i did enjoy BuckVie a lot. it's leveled and i can happily listen to it all the way through. Say You Will has some unbelievably strong Lindsey songs with mixed in some annoying ones (What's the world coming to!), and then of course many Stevie duds that i just have to always skip through, no matter how many times i tried to like them - or at least just even be able to listen to them. her nasality on that album is through the roof too, so that doesn't help.

HomerMcvie 03-05-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1249869)
it doesn't! it's WAY better. it actually rocks. i always loved that part of DR doc when it just starts, the opening credits roll, and that song comes on - and it is so awe-inspiring to think - wow this IS FM now! :]

that didn't last long, of course. like Tusk, any forward motion was pulled back. or just killed right in its tracks. that said, as i've gotten older i became more mellow too, and i did enjoy BuckVie a lot. it's leveled and i can happily listen to it all the way through. Say You Will has some unbelievably strong Lindsey songs with mixed in some annoying ones (What's the world coming to!), and then of course many Stevie duds that i just have to always skip through, no matter how many times i tried to like them - or at least just even be able to listen to them. her nasality on that album is through the roof too, so that doesn't help.

It should have been a solo song for him.

I have a pop heart, which is why Christine was always my favorite. BuckVie is so close to Mirage...I just love it.

Which is the main reason I hate SYW. So many duds, no Christine, and it's just plain TOO LONG.

And I'm the only person alive who LOVES What's The World Coming To!

I should cut SYW down to about 8 songs, and I could listen to it then.

secondhandchain 03-05-2019 02:00 PM

[QUOTE=HomerMcvie;1249870]It should have been a solo song for him.

I have a pop heart, which is why Christine was always my favorite. BuckVie is so close to Mirage...I just love it.

Which is the main reason I hate SYW. So many duds, no Christine, and it's just plain TOO LONG.

No it was my favorite song when the album came out along with Destiny Rules though I though her voice struck me as way too low in the versus. The album was not that great IMO, thought I tried to love it. There are definitely some good tracks though. I might be the only one who loves what LB did to Smile at You. As far as ranking the favorites, I don't even have the heart anymore. SN and M$ck just ruined it for me.

Mr Scarrott 03-05-2019 02:34 PM

I loved another woman
Love that burns
Closing my eyes
Mission bell
Woman of a thousand years
Spare me a little of your love
Did you ever love me
Hypnotized
Coming Home
Rhiannon
Gold Dust Woman
Brown Eyes
Eyes of the World
Big Love
Behind the mask
Nothing without you
Say Goodbye
(Love is here to stay)

jbrownsjr 03-06-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott (Post 1249877)
I loved another woman
Love that burns
Closing my eyes
Mission bell
Woman of a thousand years
Did you ever love me
Hypnotized
Coming Home
Rhiannon
Gold Dust Woman
Brown Eyes
Eyes of the World
Big Love
Behind the mask
Nothing without you
Say Goodbye
(Love is here to stay)

I love Coming Home!

aleuzzi 03-06-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1249914)
I love Coming Home!

As do I!

If "Angel" sounded on the studio record as great as it does in the Sausalito soundboard, I'd have chosen that as the best track on HAHTF.

jbrownsjr 03-06-2019 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1249920)
As do I!

If "Angel" sounded on the studio record as great as it does in the Sausalito soundboard, I'd have chosen that as the best track on HAHTF.

I loved where Bob Welch and Christine were taking them!! Oh that music is so good!! Love Angel. I love Angel (welch) way better than Angel (nicks)
some of them are here on earth... lol

David 03-06-2019 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1249870)

It's one of Lindsey's best. It's a kick—a funny Zevonesque way to gripe about the current state of things. Jackson Browne wishes he could have been so succinct and tone-aware.

There's no truth in my lies
There's no light in my eyes
And it's all I guess
That I'll ever miss

It's political in the best sense: a critique embedded in a good-natured, foursquare musical expression of conservatism.

The widespread dismissal of the song has always puzzled me. Maybe everyone really has gone to the moon.

aleuzzi 03-06-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1249925)
I loved where Bob Welch and Christine were taking them!! Oh that music is so good!! Love Angel. I love Angel (welch) way better than Angel (nicks)
some of them are here on earth... lol

I love both, actually. But the HAHTF Angel is appropriately disillusioned and mysterious, whereas the TUSK Angel is self-mythologizing and solipsistic (though VERY energetic and engaging). And the groove can just go on and on in a trance for as long as it needs to...

jbrownsjr 03-06-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1249928)
I love both, actually. But the HAHTF Angel is appropriately disillusioned and mysterious, whereas the TUSK Angel is self-mythologizing and solipsistic (though VERY energetic and engaging). And the groove can just go on and on in a trance for as long as it needs to...

What's more mysterious than a ghost in the fog?

aleuzzi 03-06-2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1249932)
What's more mysterious than a ghost in the fog?

I guess, heartbreak of the moment that is not endless.

Mr Scarrott 03-06-2019 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1249914)
I love Coming Home!

HAHTF (the album) is a bit of a slow-burner to appreciate, I think, and it took me a long time to really get to grips with it. I'm glad I did although I don't think I will ever come to terms with Silver Heels. Christine turns into Bob on Bad Loser, Bob's She's changing me almost sounds like a precursor to Say you love me- try playing them back-to-back to catch my drift, and Bob channels Albatross for Safe Harbour. Coming Home feels liberatingly free-form and has a great bass line here and there so I'm glad others rate it too.

I'm not absolutely sure that my choices aren't perhaps my favourites rather than what I might feel are the best, but it's my reality. So Stevie's only on four of the tracks? That's her look out... Nothing Without You (OK,it's a cover, like Mission Bell,but hey..) works best for me as it's the most inclusive of all the band's then personnel-- Christine is very prominent, and Lindsey guests as well.

I've played them in an order which makes about as much sense as I can make of them, and I'm cursing you-know-who for it not quite technically being a best of 18 album playlist.

Big Love
Behind the Mask
Woman of 1000 years
Closing my eyes
Gold Dust Woman
Hypnotized
Brown Eyes
I loved another woman
Rhiannon
Coming Home
Did you ever love me
Mission Bell
Say Goodbye
Love that burns
Love is here to stay
Nothing without you
Eyes of the World

elle 03-06-2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1249926)
It's one of Lindsey's best. It's a kick—a funny Zevonesque way to gripe about the current state of things. Jackson Browne wishes he could have been so succinct and tone-aware.

And it's all I guess
That I'll ever miss

It's political in the best sense: a critique embedded in a good-natured, foursquare musical expression of conservatism.

The widespread dismissal of the song has always puzzled me. Maybe everyone really has gone to the moon.

:lol::thumbsup: but of course!

i love the lyrics, but melody and music is where it is for me in a song. and boring melody and music and performance and Nicks' nasal voice is making it drilling the holes in my ears and making them bleed. so while i LOVE slightly political Lindseylyrics (as opposed to all his regular love-whining), i can happily read it but i can't listen to this song. i mean Doing What I Can lyrics are as stupid and as lazy as they come right? but i adore the sound of the song and its tempo and its music.

HomerMcvie 03-07-2019 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1249934)
I guess, heartbreak of the moment that is not endless.

$he was probably just gassy.

jbrownsjr 03-07-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1249920)
As do I!

Maybe you'd like to come away.

aleuzzi 03-07-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1249947)
Maybe you'd like to come away.

Baby, I can't come. I'm in my shawl vault.

jbrownsjr 03-07-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1249949)
Baby, I can't come. I'm in my shawl vault.

Ewwww don't step into the velvet of the morning, then. :wavey:

Street_Dreamer 03-08-2019 01:17 AM

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - I Loved Another Woman
Mr. Wonderful - Stop Messin' Around
Then Play On - Before The Beginning (Oh Well is amazing but BTB is a stronger song all around. It's easily Peter's best work as a songwriter and one of the top Mac member written songs ever.)
Fleetwood Mac In Chicago - Like It This Way
Kiln House - One Together
Future Games - Future Games
Bare Trees - Dust
Penguin - Night Watch (This song never gets the credit it deserves. Bob's lyrics and vocals are so bittersweet. Peter's guitar work compliments Bob's words too. Just amazing and intuitive playing.)
Mystery To Me - Hypnotized/Why (I can't choose which is better. Why is a stronger written song but Hypnotized is wonderfully layered in its production.)
Heroes Are Hard To Find - Bermuda Triangle
Fleetwood Mac - Crystal (The song is the first real example of the infamous Fleetwood Mac sound. They were able to take a good song from the Buckingham Nicks album and make it even better.)
Rumours - The Chain (This song exemplifies Fleetwood Mac even though nobody knew they were doing it at the time. The message from it, the piecing together of several songs into one, the vocals and instrumentation.)
Tusk - Beautiful Child (Stevie's best writing for a Fleetwood Mac song. Lindsey's production pushes it even further.)
Mirage - Gypsy (If I were to pick one song that Lindsey "put on his back" and took to a level that nobody else could have, it would be Gypsy. NOBODY would have been able to make that song as good as it is. It would not be a classic had it been a Stevie solo effort.)
Tango In The Night - Little Lies (Based on the demos, Christine had a solid idea of what she wanted out of the song. Lindsey took it and did everything right to make it a hit and one of the band's most popular songs ever. I hope that one day somehow a true instrumental version finds it way to my ears.)
Behind The Mask - Save Me
Time - Winds Of Change
Say You Will - Destiny Rules
Extended Play - Sad Angel (An all-time great FM song that shouldn't have been Lindsey's last contribution with the band.)
Buckingham McVie - Carnival Begin

moon 03-21-2019 03:22 PM

Of course I have my own list!! Not complete...

Fleetwood Mac (1968): :shrug:

Mr. Wonderful (1968): :shrug:

Then Play On (1969): Oh Well

Kiln House (1970): :shrug:

Future Games (1971): Future Games

Bare Trees (1972): Sunny Side Of Heaven

Penguin (1973): Bright Fire, Caught In The Rain...

Mystery to Me (1973): Emerald Eyes, Forever...

Heroes Are Hard to Find (1974): Heroes Are Hard To Find

Fleetwood Mac (1975): Monday Morning

Rumours (1977): Second Hand News

Tusk (1979): Brown Eyes

Mirage (1982): Love In Store

Tango in the Night (1987): Big Love

Behind the Mask (1990): In The Back Of My Mind

Time (1995): :shrug:

Say You Will (2003): Illume

EP (2013): :shrug:

Buckingham McVie: On With The Show

Netter75 03-23-2019 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1249926)

And it's all I guess
That I'll ever miss

You're not the only one! It's not one of my all time favs but I like a lot of things about this song and it puts me in a good mood every time i hear it. The beat, guitar playing, backing vocals, lyrics, catchiness, etc. Never got why it comes up as one of people's least favorite songs on SYW when there's a fair amount of more offensive GARBAGE from both of them on that album lol.

FuzzyPlum 03-23-2019 08:21 AM

Too indecisive and sometimes just like to be a bit different...

'Fleetwood Mac' (1968): I Loved Another Woman or Long Grey Mare
'Mr. Wonderful' (1968): Dust My Broom or If You Be My Baby
'Then Play On' (1969): Rattlesnake Shake or Without You
'Kiln House' (1970): Jewel Eyed Judy or One Together
'Future Games' (1971): Show Me a Smile or Future Games
'Bare Trees' (1972): Sentimental Lady or Sunny Side of Heaven
'Penguin' (1973): Did You Ever Love Me or Dissatisfied
'Mystery to Me' (1973): Why or Emerald Eyes
'Heroes Are Hard to Find' (1974): Come a Little Bit Closer or Silver Heels
'Fleetwood Mac' (1975): Rhiannon or Over My Head
'Rumours' (1977): Go Your Own Way or The Chain
'Tusk' (1979): Sara or Brown Eyes
'Mirage' (1982): Gypsy or Wish You Were Here
'Tango in the Night' (1987): Tango In the Night or Isn't it Midnight
'Behind the Mask' (1990): In the Back of My Mind or When it Comes to Love
'Time' (1995): Nothing Without You or Hollywood (Some Other Kind of Town)
'Say You Will' (2003): Bleed to Love Her or Steal Your Heart Away
'Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie' (2017): On With the Show or Carnival Begin

aleuzzi 12-12-2021 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1249840)
I can't help myself: the best cuts on each record (as opposed to my favorite):

'Fleetwood Mac' (1968): "I Loved Another Woman"

'Mirage' (1982): "Hold Me" / "Gypsy"

&&&&&&

'Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie: "Carnival Begin"

Returning to this post two years later, I’m surprised so many of my choices remain the same, though there are some differences.

'Mr. Wonderful' (1968): "Rolling Man”

“Blues Jam at Chess” (1969): “Like It This Way”/“Someday Soon Baby”

'Kiln House' (1970): "Tell Me All the Things You Do"

Mystery to Me' (1973): "Miles Away"

'Fleetwood Mac' (1975): "Say You Love Me"

'Tusk' (1979): "Tusk"/“Brown Eyes”

‘The Chain’ (1992)—new songs only: “Love Shines”

‘The Dance’ (1997)—new songs only: “Bleed to Love Her”

&&&&&&

'Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie: "Carnival Begin"[/QUOTE]

SteveMacD 12-15-2021 05:10 PM

Fleetwood Mac: Shake Your Moneymaker
Mr. Wonderful: Stop Messin’ Round (any Peter song)
Then Play On: Rattlesnake Shake
Chess/Chicago: Watch Out
The Original Fleetwood Mac: Fool No More
Kiln House: Station Man
Future Games: Show Me A Smile (any song)
Bare Trees: Spare Me A Little
Penguin: Remember Me
Mystery to Me: Hypnotized
Heroes Are Hard To Find: Come A Little Bit Closer
Fleetwood Mac: Say You Love Me
Rumours: Go Your Own Way
Tusk: Sara
Mirage: Gypsy
Tango In The Night: Little Lies
Behind The Mask: Save Me
Time: Talkin’ To My Heart (or I Do)
Say You Will: Smile At You
Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie: Red Sun

Buckingham Nicks: Crying In The Night
Bekka & Billy: Better Days

bwboy 12-15-2021 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1250981)
Too indecisive and sometimes just like to be a bit different...

'Fleetwood Mac' (1968): I Loved Another Woman or Long Grey Mare
'Mr. Wonderful' (1968): Dust My Broom or If You Be My Baby
'Then Play On' (1969): Rattlesnake Shake or Without You
'Kiln House' (1970): Jewel Eyed Judy or One Together
'Future Games' (1971): Show Me a Smile or Future Games
'Bare Trees' (1972): Sentimental Lady or Sunny Side of Heaven
'Penguin' (1973): Did You Ever Love Me or Dissatisfied
'Mystery to Me' (1973): Why or Emerald Eyes
'Heroes Are Hard to Find' (1974): Come a Little Bit Closer or Silver Heels
'Fleetwood Mac' (1975): Rhiannon or Over My Head
'Rumours' (1977): Go Your Own Way or The Chain
'Tusk' (1979): Sara or Brown Eyes
'Mirage' (1982): Gypsy or Wish You Were Here
'Tango in the Night' (1987): Tango In the Night or Isn't it Midnight
'Behind the Mask' (1990): In the Back of My Mind or When it Comes to Love
'Time' (1995): Nothing Without You or Hollywood (Some Other Kind of Town)
'Say You Will' (2003): Bleed to Love Her or Steal Your Heart Away
'Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie' (2017): On With the Show or Carnival Begin

You cheated LOL but amazingly enough, a lot of the two songs you chose I am in complete agreement with! I really only have albums from FM to Buck/Vie, so I can only pick from those:

Landslide or Crystal
Go Your Own Way or the Chain
Brown Eyes or Sara
Book of Love or Eyes of the World
Little Lies or Isn’t It Midnight
Save Me or In the Back of My Mind
Thrown Down
Carnival Begin or On With the Show

Macfan4life 12-15-2021 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1271391)
You cheated LOL but amazingly enough, a lot of the two songs you chose I am in complete agreement with! I really only have albums from FM to Buck/Vie, so I can only pick from those:

Landslide or Crystal
Go Your Own Way or the Chain
Brown Eyes or Sara
Book of Love or Eyes of the World
Little Lies or Isn’t It Midnight
Save Me or In the Back of My Mind
Thrown Down
Carnival Begin or On With the Show

Come on now, no one ever cheats on this board :lol:

But seriously picking a favorite song from an entire album is pretty hard especially when you have different singers on the same album. From the white album on it would be easier to pick a favorite from each singer ;)

Macfan4life 12-15-2021 06:17 PM

Let me try this and stick to the rules. I am only doing from Mystery to Me on.

Mystery to Me: Why
Heroes: Come A Little Bit Closer
Fleetwood Mac: World Turning
Rumours: You Make Loving Fun - Go Your Own Way (tie)
Tusk: Think About Me
Fleetwood Mac Live: Over and Over
Mirage: Straight Back (if Smile at You made the record then it would be Smile at you...an angry Stevie sounds so good)
Tango: Isn't It Midnight
BTM: Back of My Mind
Time: Nights in Estoril
The Dance: Everywhere
Say You Will: Running through the Garden
BuckVie: Red Sun

Honorable mentions: I think Oh Daddy has the most trippy Fleetwood Mac sound with the organ and guitar. Its the best musical track but not the best song (if that makes sense). Hold Me is the best FM single. Sara on the Live album is perfection but annoyed it is studio touched. Too Far Gone on BuckVie also is an honorable mention but I can live with my original list.

The lonely castanet gets me every time. IMHO Chris's most beautiful organ lines and most profound Lindsey guitar merged together. I wish the song had 12 minutes of play out.

Mixing Oh Daddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfl1HjmnABk

On Ice 12-15-2021 07:36 PM

Going to pick up at Then Play On to Buck McVie (Fleetwood Mac under another name- "she probably goes under another name, well that's a good idea"...

Then Play On- Coming Your Way
Kiln House- Station Man
Future Games- Woman of a Thousand Years
Bare Trees- Spare me a Little
Mystery to Me- Why & Hypnotized a tie.
Heroes are Hard to Find- Come a little bit Closer
Fleetwood Mac- Rhiannon
Rumours- The Chain
Tusk- Sara
Mirage- Gypsy
Tango in the Night- Everywhere
Behind the Mask- Save Me
Time- Sooner or Later
Say You Will- Smile at You
Buck McVie- Red Sun

bwboy 12-15-2021 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1271393)
Come on now, no one ever cheats on this board :lol:

But seriously picking a favorite song from an entire album is pretty hard especially when you have different singers on the same album. From the white album on it would be easier to pick a favorite from each singer ;)

You’re absolutely right. I think picking a favorite song from each singer/songwriter per album is a great idea, and you should go first!

The only problem for me with that idea is from the FM album- Landslide and Crystal are my two favorite songs from that album, and even though Stevie sings Landslide and Lindsey sings Crystal, she wrote them both. Honestly, I would consider Crystal a Lindsey song, even though she wrote it.

HomerMcvie 12-15-2021 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1271395)
Let me try this and stick to the rules. I am only doing from Mystery to Me on.

Mystery to Me: Why
Heroes: Come A Little Bit Closer
Fleetwood Mac: World Turning
Rumours: You Make Loving Fun - Go Your Own Way (tie)
Tusk: Think About Me
Fleetwood Mac Live: Over and Over
Mirage: Straight Back (if Smile at You made the record then it would be Smile at you...an angry Stevie sounds so good)
Tango: Isn't It Midnight
BTM: Back of My Mind
Time: Nights in Estoril
The Dance: Everywhere
Say You Will: Running through the Garden
BuckVie: Red Sun

Honorable mentions: I think Oh Daddy has the most trippy Fleetwood Mac sound with the organ and guitar. Its the best musical track but not the best song (if that makes sense). Hold Me is the best FM single. Sara on the Live album is perfection but annoyed it is studio touched. Too Far Gone on BuckVie also is an honorable mention but I can live with my original list.

The lonely castanet gets me every time. IMHO Chris's most beautiful organ lines and most profound Lindsey guitar merged together. I wish the song had 12 minutes of play out.

Mixing Oh Daddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfl1HjmnABk

Are you Mitzo in disguise? With the half exception of World Turning, you didn't pick a single Lindsey song.

That's it. I'm sending you a Lindsey dart board for Christmas! :mad:

Macfan4life 12-16-2021 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1271414)
Are you Mitzo in disguise? With the half exception of World Turning, you didn't pick a single Lindsey song.

I was not aware English is not your primary language. What did you learn in those Indiana schools besides how to bale hay. I picked Go Your Own Way on Rumours. Even the songs that Lindsey did not write, my picks showcase some of his best playing and arrangement in the songs.
Instead of being an armchair Peyton Manning, how about being brave enough to participate in the challenge. I'm mailing you a top hat and scarf for Christmas. You seem as disorientated as her.

mitzo 12-16-2021 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1271414)

Lindsey's songs are just no good. Nope, my list is all Stevie songs, even for the pre-BN albums.