The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Her most underrated song (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=49929)

Bryan 04-02-2012 12:04 PM

Her most underrated song

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/christine+mcvie

It's got to be ''Come A Little Bit Closer'' , sounding so good on that tumblr player.
Damn they need to remaster all the pre-Rumours stuff NOW

TrueFaith77 04-02-2012 01:59 PM

Sugar Daddy!

ButterCookie 04-02-2012 02:20 PM

Prove Your Love.

I had Rowan make me an 8 minute loop of the ahh ahh's in the intro because I love it that much...

mezzoforte 04-02-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterCookie (Post 1046047)
Prove Your Love.

I had Rowan make me an 8 minute loop of the ahh ahh's in the intro because I love it that much...

My sister and I share a wall, and she's ready to vomit every time she hears those ahh ahhs. I had that song on constant repeat for months! Possibly my favorite Chris of all.
Still, I think it's often thought of as a standout from Heroes, no?

I'm casting my vote for the criminally underrated "Love in Store." What a perfect opener! Perfectly snappy, with lovely harmonies. I start every workout with it; it just puts me in the best mood.

Honorable mentions: "Bad Loser," "Honey Hi," "Isn't it Midnight"

HejiraNYC 04-02-2012 02:54 PM

^^ I think I w0uld join your sister in prodding the wall with a broomstick! Of all of Chris's wonderful songs, that's the one song of hers that makes my skin crawl. It's like an acid trip gone wrong...

My absolute favorite is "Ask Anybody." It has to be about Dennis Wilson. "...they say that I should walk out, but that's not what I want... somehow, some way he'll change and we'll try it all over again... without all the pain..." Such sad, hopeful but delusional words. Poor Chris :distress: . She manages to capture an elegiac mood that is uplifting in an odd way. The Steve Winwood solo always gets me.

"Morning Rain" is my go-to feelgood song. So simple, but so rocking. "There's no use being dissatisfied... you'll never know until you try." :nod:

mezzoforte 04-02-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HejiraNYC (Post 1046052)
^^ I think I w0uld join your sister in prodding the wall with a broomstick! Of all of Chris's wonderful songs, that's the one song of hers that makes my skin crawl. It's like an acid trip gone wrong...

My absolute favorite is "Ask Anybody." It has to be about Dennis Wilson. "...they say that I should walk out, but that's not what I want... somehow, some way he'll change and we'll try it all over again... without all the pain..." Such sad, hopeful but delusional words. Poor Chris :distress: . She manages to capture an elegiac mood that is uplifting in an odd way. The Steve Winwood solo always gets me.

"Morning Rain" is my go-to feelgood song. So simple, but so rocking. "There's no use being dissatisfied... you'll never know until you try." :nod:

:eek:

Sometimes, Edward, I cannot believe we're friends!

"Ask Anybody" doesn't do much for me, but then, I really haven't given Christine McVie much of a shot. I should get around to that one...

I've been listening to Christine Perfect a bunch lately, and I might add "When You Say" to my list. Maybe it's just because it sounds so different from the rest of that album, but I absolutely consider it the standout track. Danny Kirwan did a wonderful job with that one.

ButterCookie 04-02-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mezzoforte (Post 1046063)
I've been listening to Christine Perfect a bunch lately, and I might add "When You Say" to my list. Maybe it's just because it sounds so different from the rest of that album, but I absolutely consider it the standout track. Danny Kirwan did a wonderful job with that one.

I am making hissing and spitting noises in the general direction of that song. To quote Ollivander, "No, no definitely not." The violins are out of tune, it's morbid and just ick. Erased from my memory, iPod and the needle is swiftly drawn right over the top of it on the vinyl. It is, as a song, as her hair is to those crimpers.

Sleepless-Child 04-02-2012 04:59 PM

I'd say Honey Hi, which is my absolute favorite Christine song.
I'm not sure about Honey Hi being THAT underrated though, i saw it got some love over the last few months, on the Rumours forum polls...which is quite nice :).
I also don't get the hate for Sugar Daddy which is musically amazing. Classic FM.

Jondalar 04-02-2012 06:53 PM

The Challenge, Brown Eyes, Honey Hi, As long as you follow, Sugar Daddy

BombaySapphire3 04-02-2012 07:18 PM

Spare Me a Little of Your Love. though I understand it is considered a classic it's just not as well known as the post 1975 hits.

GypsySorcerer 04-02-2012 07:44 PM

"Never Make Me Cry" - Took me a bit to warm to the song, but now I love it.
"Calumny"
"Honey Hi"

PenguinHead 04-02-2012 08:48 PM

The song Prove Your Love is a lost gem; it's just classic Christine.I love it. I think it's one of her most well-written songs. It delves a little deeper.

I want to be inside your heart
That's the place, the place for me
But I can understand it won't be easy
You've got to prove, prove your love to me

I can't say it aint easy to let you heart run wild
So if you want to please me, then don't act like a child
But I can understand it won't be easy

It doesn't matter if your far away
Or right here by my side
That's the way that I feel about it
We can't let the whole thing slide

So if you can't see me right where you are
Then why don't you send for me, baby, by the nearest star
But it won't be easy
And you've got to prove, prove your love to me

MacShadowsBall 04-02-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 1046101)
Spare Me a Little of Your Love. though I understand it is considered a classic it's just not as well known as the post 1975 hits.

That's one of my favorite Christine and Pre-Rumous era songs. In general most of her Pre-BN songs are underrated and tragically ignored. :(

bombaysaffires 04-02-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 1046101)

Must be something in the screen names, Bombay, coz I love this one too!!:)

aleuzzi 04-03-2012 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepless-Child (Post 1046076)
I'd say Honey Hi, which is my absolute favorite Christine song.
I'm not sure about Honey Hi being THAT underrated though, i saw it got some love over the last few months, on the Rumours forum polls...which is quite nice :).
I also don't get the hate for Sugar Daddy which is musically amazing. Classic FM.

All of this is spot on.

Come a Little Bit Closer and (especially) Prove Your Love are excellent but in need of more effective arranging. She sang so well on those! But her vocals are somewhat washed out by thick strings, etc... Come would be SO much better simply stripped down, perhaps to just an acoustic guitar. And Prove Your Love could benefit from a slightly more uptempo arrangement.

IMO, her best performance on Heroes is Bad Loser.

holidayroad 04-03-2012 08:30 AM

Prove Your Love is my very favorite song by Christine. It definitely deserves more recognition!!

jbrownsjr 04-03-2012 02:31 PM

Bad Loser

I love the different feel Mick gives it. She sings with a bit more anger than sadness.

michelej1 04-03-2012 07:00 PM

I think her Time and BTM songs would have made such a huge splash if they'd been released by the Rumours era of the group. They would have gotten tons of air play and would be an indelible part of pop culture today. Instead, I just hear, tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies . . . everywhere I go.

Save Me, Estoril, Behind the Mask and throw Heart of Stone in there too.

Great stuff. And I've already said the same thing about Calumny and Northern Star a zillion times, but since she didn't write them, I wouldn't necessarily include them here.

Michele

jbrownsjr 04-03-2012 07:39 PM

Gosh Sooner or Later too.. Love that tune..

Villavic 04-03-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mezzoforte (Post 1046049)
I'm casting my vote for the criminally underrated "Love in Store." What a perfect opener! Perfectly snappy, with lovely harmonies.

"Love in Store" was included in the Mirage tour so it wasn't that underrated, imho. As "Isn't it midnight", I feel it was underrated but at least it was included in the Tango tour.

Well the issue is underrated by who? People, media, or the band itself? My previous sentences were based in the band itself.

My list would be:

Never Make Me Cry
Warm Ways
Wish you were here
Do you know

aleuzzi 04-03-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1046188)
Bad Loser

I love the different feel Mick gives it. She sings with a bit more anger than sadness.

Yeah! There's a knowing edge to her delivery there, and a sly sophistication. It's a hot song. Would have loved to have heard either Danny or Lindsey's stinging guitars on it.

aleuzzi 04-03-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1046236)
Great stuff. And I've already said the same thing about Calumny and Northern Star a zillion times, but since she didn't write them, I wouldn't necessarily include them here.

Michele

I used to think she was best at singing her own tunes, but her performances on those two ITM songs are so amazing I had to change my mind. Seriously, her vocals there are career highs in a career full of them.

aleuzzi 04-03-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1046277)
"Love in Store" was included in the Mirage tour so it wasn't that underrated, imho. As "Isn't it midnight", I feel it was underrated but at least it was included in the Tango tour.

Love In Store was never played again, as far as I know, right? I wish it was. Isn't it Midnight was played on two tours--Tango and Mask. Why oh Why was it not included in The Dance? It would have been a great up tune.

David 04-04-2012 02:17 AM

One More Night
When the Train Comes Back
Temporary One
I'm on My Way
Heart of Stone

HomerMcvie 04-04-2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1046277)
Do you know

This was a particular gem in my life. I can still link everything that was going on in my life at that time, to Do You Know. Young love!:o:(:D:sorry:

DYK meant everything to me....

HomerMcvie 04-04-2012 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1046312)
One More Night
When the Train Comes Back
Temporary One
I'm on My Way
Heart of Stone

No Love Shines? Really? That, and As Long As You Follow, are absolute perfektion.

holidayroad 04-04-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1046245)
Gosh Sooner or Later too.. Love that tune..

I agree!! It's the best song on Time. I guess it's sad that it is on Time. That means fewer fans have heard it.

On Ice 04-04-2012 09:25 AM

Christine has so many gems it's hard to select which ones are the most underrated. I would agree about her Heroes and Time contributions. This is some of her most creative writing and it's truly a shame that Bad Loser isn't receiving much deserved multiple spins on classic rock radio! Sooner or Later also should have been a massive hit, and would've been if it had been recorded by the fab 5, same could be said for all of her Time performances, really, very good.

cliffdweller 04-04-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan (Post 1046032)
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/christine+mcvie

It's got to be ''Come A Little Bit Closer'' , sounding so good on that tumblr player.
Damn they need to remaster all the pre-Rumours stuff NOW

Yup. Love this song to death. Also "Why" has always been a big favorite of mine and just about every song of hers on Tusk, which I don't feel get enough credit. A lot of people don't like "Honey Hi" but I think it's such an underrated gem of a song.

michelej1 04-04-2012 12:47 PM

I love Honey Hi and it fits perfectly on that album. If it had appeared on Mirage or somewhere else, then I don't think I would appreciate it so much. The drum beat is hypnotic, but peaceful too, mirroring the simplicity of the lyrics. It would have been a beautiful thing to see Mick and Christine performing this live.

Michele

Sleepless-Child 04-04-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1046365)
I love Honey Hi and it fits perfectly on that album. If it had appeared on Mirage or somewhere else, then I don't think I would appreciate it so much. The drum beat is hypnotic, but peaceful too, mirroring the simplicity of the lyrics. It would have been a beautiful thing to see Mick and Christine performing this live.

Michele

And don't forget those beautiful harmonies! I'd just love to see them doing this together, the way they did "Say you love me" on The Dance, all of them lined up in the front of the stage, looking happy :). That's what this song is to me, a real band effort. With the individualities starting to show on Tusk, this song always reminded me how bound they ar...were.

michelej1 04-04-2012 01:24 PM

I have to assume that they meant Did You Ever Love Me here in this review of a recital by Dr. Dan Moore. Here is an excerpt.

http://uimusicrising.wordpress.com/2...n-performance/

I know what you’re thinking, saxophones in a steel band? The horns actually provided an interesting timbral characterist that was quite nice. Second, they played an arrangement of Fleetwood Mac’s “Could You Ever Love Me?” featuring Dr. Moore on the marimba with two exciting solo sections. Leaving smiles on the audience’s faces, they ended their portion of the concert with a medley of the Muppet Show Movie that featured a rogue percussionist during the “Mahna-mahna” portion of the piece.

nicepace 04-04-2012 03:33 PM

My vote goes to "Homeward Bound." Great piano, very believable emotion. And a real rocker, something we didn't get too often from Christine.

Fannymac 04-04-2012 04:00 PM

"Over And Over", followed VERY closely by "Come A Little Bit Closer."

michelej1 04-04-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepless-Child (Post 1046366)
And don't forget those beautiful harmonies! I'd just love to see them doing this together, the way they did "Say you love me" on The Dance, all of them lined up in the front of the stage, looking happy :).

And they came back and did Farmer's Daughter the same way. So beautiful. A lovely way to end things, only I blame Ms. Perfect for not telling me it was the end, so I could have acted accordingly.

It reminds me of a passage in Wicked when all the college friends are having a post-funeral gathering: good food, drink and company. Abundant laughter. And the narrator says if they had known that it would be the last time they'd all be together, maybe they would have lingered a little longer over dinner. It gave me a chill to read that and it put me in mourning, even though nothing bad had happened in the book yet and the characters didn't suspect how their futures would divide them.

Of course, the RRHOF was the real ending for FM. And much later in Wicked, when the little girl, Nor, asks if the witch ever returned, the mother says, "Not yet." That's what I will say of FM: not yet.

Michele

Jondalar 04-04-2012 04:55 PM

Can we write to Chris and have any hopes of hearing back from her?

jbrownsjr 04-04-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holidayroad (Post 1046340)
I agree!! It's the best song on Time. I guess it's sad that it is on Time. That means fewer fans have heard it.

Agreed!! It was so different. I get mad at Mick for not kicking up a huge fade out drum solo. Because the intensity builds and builds to the end and he sort of peters out...

Sleepless-Child 04-04-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1046398)
And they came back and did Farmer's Daughter the same way. So beautiful. A lovely way to end things, only I blame Ms. Perfect for not telling me it was the end, so I could have acted accordingly.

It reminds me of a passage in Wicked when all the college friends are having a post-funeral gathering: good food, drink and company. Abundant laughter. And the narrator says if they had known that it would be the last time they'd all be together, maybe they would have lingered a little longer over dinner. It gave me a chill to read that and it put me in mourning, even though nothing bad had happened in the book yet and the characters didn't suspect how their futures would divide them.

Of course, the RRHOF was the real ending for FM. And much later in Wicked, when the little girl, Nor, asks if the witch ever returned, the mother says, "Not yet." That's what I will say of FM: not yet.

Michele

Really nice.
And nice comparison, and i always wanted to see the musical...
"Not yet" usually gives some hope. But this is the kind of thing you say to a gullible little girl not to upset her, and i'm not a child anymore...so it makes me sad, especially when you talk about The Dance.
But hey :)!

michelej1 04-04-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepless-Child (Post 1046407)
Really nice.
And nice comparison, and i always wanted to see the musical...
"Not yet" usually gives some hope. But this is the kind of thing you say to a gullible little girl not to upset her, and i'm not a child anymore...so it makes me sad, especially when you talk about The Dance.
But hey :)!

I know what you mean, but actually in Wicked it was said to frighten the child because the witch was, ostensibly, evil.:laugh:

I think we'll see Christine again. Whether or not it's with the other 4 or with all of the remaining 4, is a different question.

Thinking of underrated songs, certainly Why is very famous among fans. I've even seen it come in #1 in polls of all FM songs, but it's too bad that the public in general knows nothing about it.

Michele

jbrownsjr 04-04-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1046418)
I know what you mean, but actually in Wicked it was said to frighten the child because the witch was, ostensibly, evil.:laugh:

I think we'll see Christine again. Whether or not it's with the other 4 or with all of the remaining 4, is a different question.

Thinking of underrated songs, certainly Why is very famous among fans. I've even seen it come in #1 in polls of all FM songs, but it's too bad that the public in general knows nothing about it.

Michele

I agree, Why is completely underrated within the general public. I played it for my best friend recently and he had tears in his eyes afterward. He loved it.