The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Bets on a new album? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=35447)

Peestie 03-14-2008 02:30 PM

Bets on a new album?

How likely do you think it is that we'll see a new album from Lindsey before any more Fleetwood Mac stuff is done?

I'm praying that we get the solo album he said would be out "early 2008" some time before the end of this year but I'm sceptical. I don’t think it’ll end up as a FM album because that would require Stevie to contribute new material and I don’t see that happening.

My ideal situation would be for him to release a solo album some time in the next six months and then tour it outside of the US but I’m willing to fly over to see him this time. I’d much rather have a Liddy Buck solo your than a Fleetwood Mac one (never mind one with Sheryl Crow).

Betsy 03-14-2008 03:14 PM

Now that I've read the stuff about Sheryl Crow joining FM for the next FM tour and studio work (read the Rumours Forum) I doubt if we'll see a new Lindsey album...

...but maybe he's been working dilligently as a medieval monk and we will see if BEFORE we see the FM album....

...but with the excitement about Sheryl Crow, I think all energies are gonna be focused on FM and not the second solo album.

Sarah 03-14-2008 04:24 PM

I'm still holding out hope. I'm not betting on it, but I still have hope.

I would be okay with it if he went the totally shameless self promotion route, really. I would be just as excited if he released the album shortly before FM toured (honestly, I have no faith in a new FM album happening), added a song or two into the FM setlist, had copies offered in the venue.. all of that. It would expose his work to the wider casual audience, give him a little ego time, and give us a brand new album. ;)

Obviously, my preferred scenario would be Lindsey cd, Lindsey tour, FM tour, then we'll see from there... but I guess time is starting to run out for this year as far as getting an album and tour together in time to wrap up the tour and prepare for FM on the road in 09. Plus, I don't know how well the man and his family would deal with back to back tours.

I wish FM would stop derailing Lindsey projects. 06 and 07 filled me with so much hope. :distress: COME ON LINDSEY, GIVE US ANOTHER CD!!!!

#1LiddyBuckFan 03-14-2008 04:27 PM

Let's just hope he's not offering up the new songs to Fleetwood Mac again...that would piss me off.

Sarah 03-14-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #1LiddyBuckFan (Post 746499)
Let's just hope he's not offering up the new songs to Fleetwood Mac again...that would piss me off.

Me. Too.

Indeed!

strandinthewind 03-14-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Well what the hell else if he going to bitch about in the interviews :laugh:

Peestie 03-14-2008 05:01 PM

Yeah, I'll be pissed if he gives up his songs to FM again. I don't want another FM album unless it's as long as SYW or a double album so we get at least a proper albums worth of Lindsey songs. I don't want 3-5 songs and then him to release nothing for another 3 or more years. His songs need to get out there and if wants to get as many out as possible then FM is not the way to go IMO.

Sarah 03-14-2008 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strandinthewind (Post 746506)
Well what the hell else if he going to bitch about in the interviews :laugh:

Nothing, because it's the best time of his life :P

Betsy 03-14-2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah (Post 746503)
Me too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by strandinthewind (Post 746506)
Well what the hell else if he going to bitch about in the interviews...

I love you people and your senses of humor. You make me smile and it makes my co-workers paranoid.

strandinthewind 03-14-2008 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsy (Post 746533)
I love you people and your senses of humor. You make me smile and it makes my co-workers paranoid.

I know right - sometimes I just totally laugh out loud and they can hear me despite my closed door :eek:

shackin'up 03-14-2008 06:00 PM

I want that solo album. period.

That whole FM-**** with Miss Crow is such a turn off for me. I like her, but I think this move is a cheap sell out. Lindsey is willing to sell out in a FM environment, but untill this day he refuses that in a solo environment. So I NEED that soloalbum. Period.

Chrislit18 03-14-2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shackin'up (Post 746552)

That whole FM-**** with Miss Crow is such a turn off for me. I like her, but I think this move is a cheap sell out. Lindsey is willing to sell out in a FM environment, but untill this day he refuses that in a solo environment. So I NEED that soloalbum. Period.

I agree 100%

TBT I HATED Sheryls production and contributions to BOTH SYW and Stevies TSIL...I refuse to let her fck around with LBs stuff. EVER.

And I think if she tried Lindsey would probably have like a deathmatch with her, but seriously, NO.

And if its the rockin album Lindsey promised us, I would much rather have that, like an updated Law and Order mixed with some OOTC.
And plus I dont think LB would be too thrilled to be working with FM again, anyways...

Solo album by the end of the year!! :D
Thats what im praying for

Stew_Matthews 03-14-2008 07:41 PM

I just can't see Lindsey on stage with Sheryl and Stevie - I just can't.

Unlike the others in the band, I don't believe he needs the money - I know he has a young family and will want to look after them but I don't suspect he's short of cash.

The key thing for me though is that he seemed so happy when I saw the Boulder shows. There was a real vibe with his band and he was really enjoying himself. When I saw him in Australia at the back end of the SYW tour he went 'through the motions' compared to how he was in Colorado imo. I hope he puts out his album and tours before doing anything 'rash'........

bucklind17 03-14-2008 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah (Post 746495)
I'm still holding out hope. I'm not betting on it, but I still have hope.

I would be okay with it if he went the totally shameless self promotion route, really. I would be just as excited if he released the album shortly before FM toured (honestly, I have no faith in a new FM album happening), added a song or two into the FM setlist, had copies offered in the venue.. all of that. It would expose his work to the wider casual audience, give him a little ego time, and give us a brand new album. ;)

Obviously, my preferred scenario would be Lindsey cd, Lindsey tour, FM tour, then we'll see from there... but I guess time is starting to run out for this year as far as getting an album and tour together in time to wrap up the tour and prepare for FM on the road in 09. Plus, I don't know how well the man and his family would deal with back to back tours.

I wish FM would stop derailing Lindsey projects. 06 and 07 filled me with so much hope. :distress: COME ON LINDSEY, GIVE US ANOTHER CD!!!!

I'm pretty much EXACTLY the same as this.

Not totally giving up on a solo album, since I believe there is a possibility that he's been working on this album in this downtime he's had, and will continue to have until the FM project is ready to get going. Would LOVE to see him tour on his own prior to an FM tour, but am not sure how likely that would be, especially since I doubt he'd want to be away from his family for as long as that would take. I would obviously be content with seeing him on an FM tour over no tour at all, and don't think it would be an awful idea to slide a few new songs into their set and use the situation to get a little more attention.

Really, though, I just want to a little more music and to see the man live, and it sounds like we're at LEAST going to get the latter and hopefully, the former with it. Time will tell.

Sarah 03-14-2008 09:25 PM

I agree, Stew... it appears to me that LB has been one of the few rockstars that didn't blow all of his cash. I mean, he lived in the same house for a very, very long time.. it's only since he's had the kids and wife that he's torn down, reconstructed, sold, and relocated. Besides, he gets a check in the mail from BMI (or ascap or whatever he belongs to) for radio plays of songs he has writer credit on.. then there are album sales for all the stuff that's been released so far, greatest hits and all of that type of crap included. seriously, I doubt he "has" to tour with them at all. If he did, he would have been speaking about it more positively leading up to this, imo, but he's just been like, "eh, maybe"-ish.

michelej1 03-14-2008 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah (Post 746605)
I doubt he "has" to tour with them at all. If he did, he would have been speaking about it more positively leading up to this, imo, but he's just been like, "eh, maybe"-ish.

I think he was speaking about it more positively even through the first part of the UTS tour. Then, around the last half, his tone became more doubtful. Still, from 2003-2006, he was surprisingly gung ho about FM. Sounded like he had big plans for the group.

I don't think he actually needs the money, but he might be one of those people who doesn't feel confident about spending money unless it's replaced. In 1997, Stevie was talking like Lindsey had all the money in the world and nothing has changed since then, except that he got married and had 3 kids. I think he must have more than enough money to support his family even if he never works again, but I get the feeling he is somewhat frugal and would probably feel more secure if he could replenish his funds with an FM outing.

My take on Destiny Rules is that at the end, Stevie was going to do a shorter tour if he wouldn't give in about the double album. He had planned to foot the costs of the extra songs for a double album, but only because he thought he could get the cash back on a long tour. When there was a threat that the tour would be shorter, he gave in and ditched the double album idea. Now, I don't think that was the wrong move. FM probably was better off without a double album. In fact, SYW might be too long as it is. So, it probably worked out for the best. But I felt that Lindsey was being blackmailed at the end and that made me very uncomfortable. I'm not saying he doesn't threaten himself. In that talk with Mick he suggested that he might take his songs back, away from FM, if he didn't get his way.

So, let them play leverage games with each other if they want, I just want him to always have more than enough bargaining chips.

Over the last few years, he has seemed a little hungrier for FM than I would like him to be. I don't necessarily think the need is financial (hope not). I don't know WHAT it is, but I don't like it. I want him above the reach of manipulation and on the power side of tugs of war within the band, as it was and ever shall be.

As for a solo album, I have NO hope for one, unless and until these rumors about an FM event come to fruition or die (which would take a year). I just don't see the guy doing two things in such close seccession, not because he couldn't. The material is there. He could release the solo album tomorrow if he wanted. Frankly, I just think he has some kind of strange psychological inability.

Michele

Forshorn 03-15-2008 03:29 AM

Please, not Sheryl Crow

I can't take it. Nothing against her, particularly, but FM is special and should respect it's history. This is like when a TV show is fading and they start bringing stupid celebrity guest stars. FM has always had that mysterious quality, romantic imagery... whereas Sheryl Crow's music is kind of banal.

Hey, well, I guess Christine's was a bit catchy-but-plain too.

No, just another cd with Stevie, Lindsey, and the rest. Please.

wondergirl9847 03-15-2008 11:25 AM

PLEASE, dear sweet Jesus in Heaven...no Sheryl Crow and more Lindsey solo.

AMEN!

BTFLCHLD 03-15-2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shackin'up (Post 746552)

ditto
I won't see an FM show with crow either...wtf are they thinking...a f'injoke.

trackaghost 03-15-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah (Post 746605)
I agree, Stew... it appears to me that LB has been one of the few rockstars that didn't blow all of his cash. I mean, he lived in the same house for a very, very long time.. it's only since he's had the kids and wife that he's torn down, reconstructed, sold, and relocated. Besides, he gets a check in the mail from BMI (or ascap or whatever he belongs to) for radio plays of songs he has writer credit on.. then there are album sales for all the stuff that's been released so far, greatest hits and all of that type of crap included. seriously, I doubt he "has" to tour with them at all. If he did, he would have been speaking about it more positively leading up to this, imo, but he's just been like, "eh, maybe"-ish.

Didn't he live in a really expensive hotel for a year though? I don't think Lindsey has been immune to excess.
That said, aside from Mick, I doubt that any of Fleetwood Mac need the money at this point.

michelej1 03-15-2008 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trackaghost (Post 746753)
Didn't he live in a really expensive hotel for a year though?

Yeah, but I guess he made up for it when he sold his house for 21.5 million.

I always thought it odd that John only wanted 1.6 million for his house and that was when real estate was still hot and terribly inflated, in 2004. Just your average middle class house would cost $1.6. Didn't sound like rock star digs.

Michele

David 03-16-2008 09:00 PM

Red Rover Live

I've been watching this live Red Rover from the Buckingham tour a few years ago:

I think it sounds really good. But I notice that the four guys onstage are playing a relatively minor role in what we're hearing. There's only one guitarist -- Lindsey -- & I don't think he is covering all the guitar work we're hearing. Neale isn't doing anything except singing. Taku is adding a nice shaker. Brett isn't doing anything for the first half of the song, & then he starts holding down some chords on his workstation & singing.

1. Where is the rest of the song coming from?
2. Is this how the song was done on the Fleetwood Mac tour?

This is my favorite song except for Sugar Daddy.

Peestie 03-16-2008 09:29 PM

I think it sounds like there's just one guitarist. The high melody Lindsey is playing does sound like it's been double however, possibly just a short delay on the guitar? Maybe they prerecorded an overdub of the high melody to play at the same time, but I never really thought about it before now. I don't see why it couldn't be all Lindsey playing since it's not really a particularly hard song to play. What particular parts are you hearing that you think are coming out of nowhere?

Guitars aside, there are two or three Lindsey Buckinghams singing on this track which I'm not too keen on. Either that or Brett and Neal sound really like Lindsey...

David 03-16-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peestie (Post 746892)
I think it sounds like there's just one guitarist. The high melody Lindsey is playing does sound like it's been double however, possibly just a short delay on the guitar? Maybe they prerecorded an overdub of the high melody to play at the same time, but I never really thought about it before now. I don't see why it couldn't be all Lindsey playing since it's not really a particularly hard song to play. What particular parts are you hearing that you think are coming out of nowhere?

I'm not sure, Pete. What about the kick? Where is that coming from? The guitar is a bit of a whir, although I am looking at the tab you did last year. Unfortunately, I have only the first page of that tab. That's interesting that you think there may be some doubling. That might explain the fullness.

Quote:

Guitars aside, there are two or three Lindsey Buckinghams singing on this track which I'm not too keen on. Either that or Brett and Neal sound really like Lindsey...
Yes, I really doubt that Brett & Neale are doing all the vox & FX in this. Too much of it sounds like Lindsey himself. They must be playing this with what we in America call "punching in." How did they do this song on the Fleetwood Mac tour? Same personnel, right? So it was the same?

michelej1 03-17-2008 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 746896)
How did they do this song on the Fleetwood Mac tour? Same personnel, right? So it was the same?

Carlos was there too with FM. Well, in the band. I can't positively say he played on Red Rover, because I don't remember. I think Mick came down from behind the drum kit and I can't remember what the other guitarists did.

Michele

face of glass 03-17-2008 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peestie (Post 746892)
I think it sounds like there's just one guitarist. The high melody Lindsey is playing does sound like it's been double however, possibly just a short delay on the guitar? Maybe they prerecorded an overdub of the high melody to play at the same time, but I never really thought about it before now.

Lindsey driving a guitar synthesizer/sequencer with his playing like in the acoustic Big Love = cool.

Lindsey miming or playing along to a backing track/what's on the hard drive = ****e. But then that's what it's been for the last ten years or so.

That aside, does anyone think Red Rover should be extended to an hour long piece like Reich's Music for 18 Musicians? It has the potential. :nod:

Peestie 03-17-2008 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 746896)
I'm not sure, Pete. What about the kick? Where is that coming from? The guitar is a bit of a whir, although I am looking at the tab you did last year. Unfortunately, I have only the first page of that tab. That's interesting that you think there may be some doubling. That might explain the fullness.

Yes, I really doubt that Brett & Neale are doing all the vox & FX in this. Too much of it sounds like Lindsey himself. They must be playing this with what we in America call "punching in." How did they do this song on the Fleetwood Mac tour? Same personnel, right? So it was the same?

Hmmm, looks like they had a magic kick with them that night. I'd forgotten I'd done a tab for this. Don't think I ever finished it and if I remember right it wasn't too great :o

I've never heard any FM live versions of this but I'd like to hear some. It would be interesting to hear if they didn't even try to hide the fact that it was Lindsey singing with backing tracks of himself. There are certainly more than enough backing singers that could have done it instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by face of glass (Post 746902)
Lindsey driving a guitar synthesizer/sequencer with his playing like in the acoustic Big Love = cool.

Lindsey miming or playing along to a backing track/what's on the hard drive = ****e. But then that's what it's been for the last ten years or so.

What do you think he's doing here, guitar-wise? Obviously vocals are on a hard drive so I suppose it wouldn't be a stretch to assume they did the same with the guitars. I guess some stuff could have been overdubbed in the studio after it was recorded as well.

Sarah 03-17-2008 10:12 AM

I remember thinking during the UTS tour shows that it sounds like there were several pre-recorded parts. I assumed they were coming from Brett's keys, but I'm not certain. I'd have to listen to a whole concert again to identify the parts that struck me. It doesn't bother me at all.. it's not like he's lip synching. It's just a little fluff.

Betsy 03-17-2008 10:22 AM

I remember hearing the TUSK noises and thinking...there's a recording being played somewhere... cuz none of these guys are playing...

David 03-17-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by face of glass (Post 746902)
That aside, does anyone think Red Rover should be extended to an hour long piece like Reich's Music for 18 Musicians? It has the potential. :nod:

Twenty minutes or so -- mirroring Reich's Variations for Winds, Strings & Keyboards -- is quite enough.

chiliD 03-17-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 746889)
There's only one guitarist -- Lindsey -- & I don't think he is covering all the guitar work we're hearing.

Sure he could...thanks to a "loop sampling" effect unit (adding some delay, too). Boss RC20XL Loop Station (from Musician's Friend.com) After the first few bars, that part comes around again, and he's doubling what he played the first time through, then it comes around again, and he's playing over the first two parts, until it eventually gets to sounding like four or five guitars playing at once (or three 12-string guitars).

There are also a few types of vocal doublers/harmonizers (here's one for example) TC Electronics Voice Doubler (from Musician's Friend.com)

What I'd like to hear from Lindsey is just his guitar and his voice, undoctored by effects (except for some ever so slight delay/reverb for his voice)

shackin'up 03-17-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 746997)
What I'd like to hear from Lindsey is just his guitar and his voice, undoctored by effects (except for some ever so slight delay/reverb for his voice)

Well, Chili, listen to Shut Us Down, NGBA, Trouble, Go Insane from his last tour.

Peestie 03-17-2008 02:05 PM

That's cool stuff. How likely is it that he'd be using one of those. To be honest I'd just assumed it was whatever effect/delay he was using that gave that sort of sound.

David 03-18-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 746997)
Sure he could...thanks to a "loop sampling" effect unit (adding some delay, too). Boss RC20XL Loop Station (from Musician's Friend.com) After the first few bars, that part comes around again, and he's doubling what he played the first time through, then it comes around again, and he's playing over the first two parts, until it eventually gets to sounding like four or five guitars playing at once (or three 12-string guitars).

There are also a few types of vocal doublers/harmonizers (here's one for example) TC Electronics Voice Doubler (from Musician's Friend.com)

Well that's exactly what I'm talking about. These performances nowadays are more Memorex than live.

I guess that's why RED ROVER sounds so good (& so much like the album).

Sarah 03-19-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 747267)
Well that's exactly what I'm talking about. These performances nowadays are more Memorex than live.

I guess that's why RED ROVER sounds so good (& so much like the album).

o_O

in my world, it's still considered "live" because he actually played it "live"... the machine is just looping that previously played live part while he plays another part live...

do you guys want he should have another army of guitarists? or perhaps it'd be more "authentic" if the song was left practically empty because using available technology threatens the sanctity of live music? hmm.

bucklind17 03-19-2008 08:37 PM

There are recording artists who have used recording technology such as what Lindsey likely uses for songs like "Red Rover" to build their entire career. When used correctly and well, it's essentially like a whole other instrument. I've seen some pretty complicated processes and it can be very interesting and exciting, and in some situations, the best way to re-create the sound of a song that is pretty complicated musically.

David 03-20-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah (Post 747354)
in my world, it's still considered "live" because he actually played it "live"... the machine is just looping that previously played live part while he plays another part live...

I don't know what sort of hardware & software they're using onstage, but if it's some sort of looping/sampling playback technology & it requires that an initial signal be sent/played, then let's call the whole thing partly live & partly Memorex. Thomas Dolby does the same thing when he performs his great love song "I Love You Goodbye." Fleetwood Mac's been using prefab triggered sources at least as far back as the Tusk tour, when Jeff Sova "played" both the Dodger Stadium crowd sounds & a modification of the Bartner brass arrangement on a loop triggered by an Oberheim on the song "Tusk" (& did much the same thing on the Mirage tour). Certainly each succeeding Fleetwood Mac tour used similar technology -- probably more & more with time & advancements -- for live performances of "Seven Wonders," "Little Lies," "Everywhere," etc. Ditto for Lindsey's early '90s tour (with its elephant honk, real or simulated). So I don't mean to imply that this dialing in is new this year. I'm just curious about what all is happening.

Quote:

do you guys want he should have another army of guitarists? or perhaps it'd be more "authentic" if the song was left practically empty because using available technology threatens the sanctity of live music? hmm.
I'll repeat my words from Post #34, above:

"I guess that's why RED ROVER sounds so good (& so much like the album)."

billwebster 03-21-2008 06:30 AM

Even though I'd only believe it when I hold it in my hands, a new Lindsey solo album, the long-rumored "rock album" he has been working on with producer Rob Cavallo, would be a real treat.

Madness Fades 03-21-2008 09:05 AM

Wouldnt it be great if there were 11 or 12 BRAND NEW Rock Songs done from scratch. Nothing taken / copied from GOS or anything. Just new great songs which sound similar to GYOW, EOTW, TOF, COME, countdown etc etc

Just a load of catchy beats with a few good lyrics a small solo in the middle then one great complex solo at the end, that nodody else can do or tab out. Thats all it takes.

Bring it on I have definately been awaiting the release of a rock album much more than the release of Under the Skin, ever since I was told they were gonna be released "back to back".

michelej1 03-21-2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madness Fades (Post 747594)

Bring it on I have definately been awaiting the release of a rock album much more than the release of Under the Skin, ever since I was told they were gonna be released "back to back".

But last year Lindsey started backing away from the idea that it would be a rock album. He started saying that it might be more acoustic once again. In fact, he noted that some people were under the impression that it would be a "rock" album, as if we just developed that impression ourselves and he had nothing to do with it! So, I no longer really expect a rock album, perhaps 3-4 harder songs, but not an album full. Still I do expect to hear Countdown, You Do or You Don't, Wrong, etc. in concert at some point -- or else I will heckle him at every single show.

Michele