The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lyrics - New Songs (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=46746)

michelej1 09-05-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regina (Post 1014377)
I agree. I even remember her saying she knows certain songs are about her. And, in the context of the song (for argument's sake), it actually fits.

Oh I think Gone Too Far is about her. I just don't think if he forgot the words to any of his songs in concert that she'd be able to take over and sing any of his songs all the way through. I know he messed up on Goodbye Baby, but I think he probably knows her older songs pretty well. I really don't think she'd know the verses to GYOW. She just probably knows her parts.

And I was joking with Dee, but I actually do believe when he said "the silent surf" answers your call and "waiting for my ocean to rise", he's talking to someone who sleeps near the ocean.

In fact, it made me rethink his past songs like Treason and CAD. Maybe the water wasn't just a metaphor there either. Maybe it was a GPS location.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CADreaming (Post 1014369)
Ya think? I bet she knows all of 'em - she definitely knows NGBA or at least that one line. :laugh:

Reminds me of some SYW tour reviews I read when Stevie would stay onstage for Red Rover and be singing along even though she didn't sing on it and wasn't near the mic.

I've seen her mouth the words to Christine's songs. Well, particularly Over My Head.

Other little lyriics that caught my ear were "as they say, another great day." Ummm, who says that? Will? Actually, what they say is "another lonely day." To me, that ties Rock Away Blnd to both GYOW and to Great Day. And in GD the circumstances weren't very great either.

I also like in One Take when he says, "I turn it off, I turn it on." I don't think he thought of his own song Turn It On when he said that, because he's not the speaker in One Take, anyway, but I still liked it.

I like the Soldiers of Fortune line in SWS. What it says to me is that "we used to be able to give or express our love freely and now we have to steal it, conceal it." There's a theme of guiilt, shame and criminal commissions running through this album. Now, there was guilt in GOS, but it seemed more one-sided. In this album, the guilt and shame seems to be assigned to both of them. They are partners in crime.;)

Michele

CADreaming 09-06-2011 05:57 PM

Added "Sleeping Around the Corner"

WildHearted 09-06-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1014381)
Oh I think Gone Too Far is about her. I just don't think if he forgot the words to any of his songs in concert that she'd be able to take over and sing any of his songs all the way through. I know he messed up on Goodbye Baby, but I think he probably knows her older songs pretty well. I really don't think she'd know the verses to GYOW. She just probably knows her parts.

Michele

Well, there actually was that Dance tour rehearsal footage, where you can see Stevie (away from the mic) mouthing/singing along to the first verse of GYOW before she comes in. I always thought that was rather cute.

erwk05 09-08-2011 10:40 PM

lyrics to That's The Way Love Goes

Does anyone know what the first line in the chorus is?
It sounds like this (but feel free to correct):

____ ____ ____ ______ (first line?) :confused:
couldnt believe it now
I took a look and then
I saw your secret well
oooohh thats the way that love goes, it goes, it goes

michelej1 09-08-2011 10:41 PM

I don't know. I think he might have taken a look in her dungeon.

In sounds dirty.

Michele

elle 09-08-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erwk05 (Post 1015552)
Does anyone know what the first line in the chorus is?
It sounds like this (but feel free to correct):

____ ____ ____ ______ (first line?) :confused:
couldnt believe it now
I took a look and then
I saw your secret well
oooohh thats the way that love goes, it goes, it goes

from liner notes:

in the dungeon couldn't believe it no
took a look and then saw your secret

michelej1 09-08-2011 10:52 PM

So, Lindsey's been talking about Kristen for IOOT and When She Comes Down and he'll probably say a few of the other songs are about her too.

The way he discusses her, it's almost like she had more than just a bad (or strange) marriage in her past. It's like the trust issues were more serious than that.

Michele

CADreaming 09-08-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1015559)

The way he discusses her, it's almost like she had more than just a bad (or strange) marriage in her past. It's like the trust issues were more serious than that.

Michele

Deep-seeded...

bombaysaffires 09-08-2011 11:26 PM

I still think Stars Are Crazy is about Stevie.

WildHearted 09-08-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1015575)

He didn't really write the song though :/

Edit:
The line "Meet me at the station" reminds me of "Meet me down by the railway station" from That's Alright.

michelej1 09-08-2011 11:47 PM

I could see SWS, Rock Away Blind, In Our Own Time, Gone Too Far, End of Time and The Way Love Goes all being about Stevie.

Although, I will say that the verse in TWLG seems to be about a marriage, to me:

The diamond falls, the hand is dealt
Upon the shrine where we once knelt
Oh how I wish this veil could melt
away away away

I think the diamond is a wedding ring and the veil is both the wall between them and the wedding veil. And the shrine where they once knelt just reminds me of an altar that a couple might kneel on in church during vows, although Lindsey was married in Hawaii.

Thank you for putting up the lyrics, Dee.

Michele

CADreaming 09-09-2011 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1015586)
I could see SWS, Rock Away Blind, In Our Own Time, Gone Too Far, End of Time and The Way Love Goes all being about Stevie.

Although, I will say that the verse in TWLG seems to be about a marriage, to me:

The diamond falls, the hand is dealt
Upon the shrine where we once knelt
Oh how I wish this veil could melt
away away away

I think the diamond is a wedding ring and the veil is both the wall between them and the wedding veil. And the shrine where they once knelt just reminds me of an altar that a couple might kneel on in church during vows, although Lindsey was married in Hawaii.

Thank you for putting up the lyrics, Dee.

Michele

You're welcome. :)

I agree with your interpretation of TWLG. The shrine is interesting - he mentions it in RAB too. And a crime is in both IOOT and RAB. In that regard, I'm reminded of a couple of songs on GOS.

Oh, in RAB - I had transcribed a word incorrectly - it should be "I keep watch on this heart of mine"... totally reminds me of Johnny Cash!

michelej1 09-09-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CADreaming (Post 1015627)
Oh, in RAB - I had transcribed a word incorrectly - it should be "I keep watch on this heart of mine"... totally reminds me of Johnny Cash!

Johhny walks the line, Lindsey walks a thin one. A struggle against infidelity.

Michele

jellyman10 09-09-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1015575)

I do too. And the fact that he didn't write it means nothing, cuz he must've related to it for a reason, right? ;)

bombaysaffires 09-09-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellyman10 (Post 1015698)
I do too. And the fact that he didn't write it means nothing, cuz he must've related to it for a reason, right? ;)

I can't get over how much the playing on it sounds like "Say Goodbye". Not the melody, but the guitar arrangement. Like someone said earlier, stealing from yourself. And that song was about her...... so who knows.:shrug: