The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   This was likely a Business Decision (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57783)

elle 04-15-2018 12:55 PM

"corporate greed"

talking about business decisions........ very interesting opinion. you need to listen to the end. it is a conspiracy theory kind of rant, but the underlying corporate greed / squeeze the money while you still can from these dinosaur bands every which way you can claim is certainly something to ponder. especially if the rumors that Azoff is not LB's manager anymore are true. :shrug:

elle 04-15-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gldstwmn (Post 1223306)
It's a fully booked tour.

yes, it is. it has been since january. that doesn't mean they'll release all the dates on 4/23.

julesmck 04-15-2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola (Post 1223279)
I found this on one of the Stevie tumblr blogs:

I have connections, and make no mistake that the ONLY part Stevie played in Lindsey's firing, is that she is not available to tour later next year. She has solo commitments for after this already-planned Mac tour, only for him to decide he wanted to postpone. So FM had to choose between touring now without Lindsey, or touring next year without Stevie. Alas, fans need a bad guy and they've decided Stevie's it.

But didn't Lindsey supposedly offer to scrap his solo dates when they told him he couldn't do both tours? Why would they still insist on kicking him out if he was willing to compromise?

button-lip 04-15-2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julesmck (Post 1223313)
But didn't Lindsey supposedly offer to scrap his solo dates when they told him he couldn't do both tours? Why would they still insist on kicking him out if he was willing to compromise?

Because decisions were already made and Mike Campbell was already approached. "Him or me".

elle 04-15-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by button-lip (Post 1223299)
No, it's true. It was confirmed to me by someone who was "around" a couple of the band meetings. The same person who told me Mike Campbell was approached by Mick/Stevie even before Lindsey was fired.

If Lindsey wasn't engaged in his work at the Classic East then why was he so mad with some tech during GYOW because of some sound problem? Does it sound like a person who wasn't commited with his work? Then we should all be fired from our jobs! :lol:

ah interesting.

re Classic East, that whole narrative actually fits nicely into Azoff / corporate greed conspiracy theory - LB was undermining the Classic gigs put together by Azoff with his public statements that he's at this point just accepting Mac gigs for what they are - cashgrabs - and going through the motions ("just close your eyes, play the set, and take the money"). that couldn't have sit well with Azoff.

so it's not that Lindsey is not giving it well over 100% at the Mac gigs. it's that he didn't shy away from saying they are basically uninspired cashgrabs. so you could see Azoff wanting to 1) get him in line or get rid of him, and 2) making sure that FM doesn't do yet another exact same GH tour as the last 3 ones. yes the 2014-15 one was their most successful ever probably, but there was no new narrative for the upcoming tour (like rumours 5 re-united!). having LB solo with new music and creativity going in parallel would further undermine yet another GH tour, in the year when every boomer band is doing hugely expensive farewell tours. there needed to be either a shakeup or get LB in line! so pair this with SN and LB always fighting, and SN probably always pulling similar him or me threats, and now you do have a perfect storm! so maybe, Jamie and this youtube vinyl guy are right about it all being pure corporate greed, business based decision?

sodascouts 04-15-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by button-lip (Post 1223295)
Eagles are selling 60% of the arenas capacity

Really? I hadn't heard that. I have not gone to any shows without Glenn because i think the "Eagles" are not legitimate now.

That certainly doesn't bode well for Fleetwood Mac.

sodascouts 04-15-2018 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1223315)
ah interesting.

re Classic East, that whole narrative actually fits nicely into Azoff / corporate greed conspiracy theory - LB was undermining the Classic gigs put together by Azoff with his public statements that he's at this point just accepting Mac gigs for what they are - cashgrabs - and going through the motions ("just close your eyes, play the set, and take the money"). that couldn't have sit well with Azoff.

so it's not that Lindsey is not giving it well over 100% at the Mac gigs. it's that he didn't shy away from saying they are basically uninspired cashgrabs. so you could see Azoff wanting to 1) get him in line or get rid of him, and 2) making sure that FM doesn't do yet another exact same GH tour as the last 3 ones. yes the 2014-15 one was their most successful ever probably, but there was no new narrative for the upcoming tour (like rumours 5 re-united!). having LB solo with new music and creativity going in parallel would further undermine yet another GH tour, in the year when every boomer band is doing hugely expensive farewell tours. there needed to be either a shakeup or get LB in line! so pair this with SN and LB always fighting, and SN probably always pulling similar him or me threats, and now you do have a perfect storm! so maybe, Jamie and this youtube vinyl guy are right about it all being pure corporate greed, business based decision?

In the latest press release, Azoff is not listed as Fleetwood Mac's manager. Unless that was a mistake, he's been fired too (or he dropped them).

Or has there been an amendment to that release?

HomerMcvie 04-15-2018 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts (Post 1223316)
Really? I hadn't heard that. I have not gone to any shows without Glenn because i think the "Eagles" are not legitimate now.

That certainly doesn't bode well for Fleetwood Mac.

I saw the Eagles for two consecutive nights, a couple weeks ago. The first night, I got(at the last minute) the cheapest seat they had, looking directly at the back side of their right ears. There was still a big screen, and the audio was perfect, so it was fine...

The second night, I decided I'd upgrade a bit... but NO cheap seats left. Box office lady, "we've got tons of $250 seats, but NO cheaper seats". I said, "I don't WANT a $250 seat!" She said, "no one does, that's why all the cheap seats are gone. Everyone would rather sit behind them, than pay $250 for a semi crappy seat!"

jkmaletic 04-16-2018 08:12 AM

Carol Ann Harris' thoughts on this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhnctNhhQnk/

ryan4136 04-16-2018 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkmaletic (Post 1223427)
Carol Ann Harris' thoughts on this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhnctNhhQnk/

What a rambling mess, that never got around to saying anything.

lovethemac1 04-16-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julesmck (Post 1223313)

I agree. It’s hard for Lindsey to have any say (or any hope) when they had already gone behind his back and approached MC in January. He abviously didn’t know what they had been doing.

They had to have had this is the works, otherwise they would have jumped at the chance to keep him and not affect ticket sales.

Tango 04-16-2018 08:52 AM

For those that are unable to see the instagram: (I added spaces as I can't read instagram easily myself)

fleetwoodmacfanclubFrom Carol Ann Harris’ Facebook page:

I guess it's time for me to say something as the posts on here are all over the place and placing blame on Fleetwood Mac as an entity for Lindsey no longer being in the band is wayyyyy too premature.

All I want to say to all of you is that the band meeting where the decision was made that he was no longer in the band was surely so ugly....so sad...so awful...that I, for one, am grateful that I wasn't a witness to it.

To place blame on Stevie, Mick, Christine or John is unwarranted and the fact that Lindsey hasn't made a statement AT all speaks volumes to me.

I can tell you that just from a business perspective, Lindsey being "fired" or leaving the band was NOT anyone's choice but a decision that the band made for reasons that will eventually become known as in this day and age - it's impossible to keep anything this big a secret for very long...

I truly feel sorry for all of the fans of Fleetwood Mac who will NOT get to see what is to me, the "real" band and I am not throwing shade on the two guitarists hired to replace him. They are brilliant musicians - but for a "Farewell" tour, (in my opinion) they are going to be up against it.

But my last word on this is that it's a very, very sad end to an era for Fleetwood Mac...but all of you have the music, have seen the tours - and in the end, that will always be yours to enjoy.
Love to you all - Carol Ann

button-lip 04-16-2018 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tango (Post 1223434)
For those that are unable to see the instagram: (I added spaces as I can't read instagram easily myself)

I guess it's time for me to say something as the posts on here are all over the place and placing blame on Fleetwood Mac as an entity for Lindsey no longer being in the band is wayyyyy too premature.

All I want to say to all of you is that the band meeting where the decision was made that he was no longer in the band was surely so ugly....so sad...so awful...that I, for one, am grateful that I wasn't a witness to it.

To place blame on Stevie, Mick, Christine or John is unwarranted and the fact that Lindsey hasn't made a statement AT all speaks volumes to me.

I can tell you that just from a business perspective, Lindsey being "fired" or leaving the band was NOT anyone's choice but a decision that the band made for reasons that will eventually become known as in this day and age - it's impossible to keep anything this big a secret for very long...

I truly feel sorry for all of the fans of Fleetwood Mac who will NOT get to see what is to me, the "real" band and I am not throwing shade on the two guitarists hired to replace him. They are brilliant musicians - but for a "Farewell" tour, (in my opinion) they are going to be up against it.

But my last word on this is that it's a very, very sad end to an era for Fleetwood Mac...but all of you have the music, have seen the tours - and in the end, that will always be yours to enjoy.

So, for Carol Ann the real Fleetwood Mac is the band without Lindsey?! :shrug::shrug:

jbrownsjr 04-16-2018 09:12 AM

I think she's saying it's not a real band without LIndsey.

FuzzyPlum 04-16-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

For the most part I agree with her. I'm not sure what to make of this line though. I think she is implying its Lindsey's fault as evidenced by his lack of a response. I think it more likely he's trying to be the grown up and avoiding a tit-for-tat public sparring match. That and/or he's been advised to say nothing for legal reasons.
He has the right to remain silent.

button-lip 04-16-2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1223436)
I think she's saying it's not a real band without LIndsey.

Yeah, now that I'm reading it with less anger... :lol::lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1223438)
For the most part I agree with her. I'm not sure what to make of this line though. I think she is implying its Lindsey's fault as evidenced by his lack of a response. I think it more likely he's trying to be the grown up and avoiding a tit-for-tat public sparring match. That and/or he's been advised to say nothing for legal reasons.
He has the right to remain silent.

I don't get it: the band has nothing to do with the decision, but they made the decision nevertheless. It's been a slow morning for me or I am missing something here. :shrug:

jeets2000 04-16-2018 10:57 AM

No offense to Carol Ann Harris, but, given the fact that most of her interactions with the band ended in the 1980s, I feel like she has about as much insight on this matter as I do. :sorry:

Lola 04-16-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Thanks for posting this. I'm trying to sort this out in my head.

Her statement boils down to "Lindsey being fired or leaving the band was not anyone's choice". stop. "but a decision that the band made for reasons that will eventually become known" stop.
Huh? Is she saying the band didn't want to fire him but was forced too? Did they have to scrap a member and they chose Lindsey? She sounds like an edict was handed down from on high and the band must obey.

dreamsunwind 04-16-2018 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeets2000 (Post 1223443)
No offense to Carol Ann Harris, but, given the fact that most of her interactions with the band ended in the 1980s, I feel like she has about as much insight on this matter as I do. :sorry:

Yup basically. She's just offering her take, I wouldn't look much deeper into it.

paleshadow 04-16-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1222980)
and yet, Stevie had no problem whatsoever with the Pretenders doing it.

it's interesting view to ponder, for sure, but doesn't make sense when you take into account Stevie's last year's tour with the Pretenders.

The reality is that in Fleetwood Mac, there are members that people go to specifically see. If you are there to see Lindsey, but he is touring independently (for much less per ticket, and at close by venues) you may forgo the full Fleetwood Mac ticket and just go see him. Same for Stevie and her fans. That type of set up would definitely have a financial impact on the band as a whole.

FuzzyPlum 04-16-2018 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paleshadow (Post 1223448)
The reality is that in Fleetwood Mac, there are members that people go to specifically see. If you are there to see Lindsey, but he is touring independently (for much less per ticket, and at close by venues) you may forgo the full Fleetwood Mac ticket and just go see him. Same for Stevie and her fans. That type of set up would definitely have a financial impact on the band as a whole.

Never been to a Lindsey Buckingham solo show but the way he jokes about it would suggest the number of fans that go to his shows wouldn't really make any dent in FM numbers. Plus most would go to both (avid LB fans will pay double to see him solo and with FM). Even if fans only go to LB concerts- so many shows last time around were sell outs. If a small number of fans don't buy tickets, then somebody else would buy them anyway.

jkmaletic 04-16-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1223450)
Never been to a Lindsey Buckingham solo show but the way he jokes about it would suggest the number of fans that go to his shows wouldn't really make any dent in FM numbers. Plus most would go to both (avid LB fans will pay double to see him solo and with FM). Even if fans only go to LB concerts- so many shows last time around were sell outs. If a small number of fans don't buy tickets, then somebody else would buy them anyway.

Let me first re-state that I am not a business person by any means.
But using common business sense, the band cannot allow Lindsey to do this (or any band member) based on an educated guess that he won't sell that many tickets. :shrug:

Jamie

FuzzyPlum 04-16-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkmaletic (Post 1223453)
Let me first re-state that I am not a business person by any means.
But using common business sense, the band cannot allow Lindsey to do this (or any band member) based on an educated guess that he won't sell that many tickets. :shrug:

Jamie

I am by no means a business person either. Common sense however would suggest profits aren't going to be maximised by scheduling significant gaps between shows. Furthermore, the backlash they are facing and the impact this may have on ticket sales would suggest a degree of compromise would have been prudent from a business perspective.

mylittledemon 04-16-2018 02:55 PM

This may have been mentioned before (but I haven't seen it as I've quickly perused the responses)... but didn't the original press release say Lindsey wouldn't be joining them on this tour? It seems like maybe there's hope in the way it was worded. Perhaps his ousting was intended only for this tour, and they've left things open for him to rejoin at a later time? Someone help me out if I'm way wrong here. ;)

Storms123 04-16-2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 1223457)
This may have been mentioned before (but I haven't seen it as I've quickly perused the responses)... but didn't the original press release say Lindsey wouldn't be joining them on this tour? It seems like maybe there's hope in the way it was worded. Perhaps his ousting was intended only for this tour, and they've left things open for him to rejoin at a later time? Someone help me out if I'm way wrong here. ;)

I noticed that too, and hope there is some truth to it. My only concern is they haven’t come out to say that if it is the case. Given the backlash, which I assume is far more pervasive than they anticipated, I would think they would try to calm the tide a bit? Part of me still wonders if they don’t release all of the tour dates and assess how things progress.

sodascouts 04-16-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paleshadow (Post 1223448)
The reality is that in Fleetwood Mac, there are members that people go to specifically see. If you are there to see Lindsey, but he is touring independently (for much less per ticket, and at close by venues) you may forgo the full Fleetwood Mac ticket and just go see him.

I don't think firing him will solve the problem of losing sales re: fans who were coming specifically to see Lindsey...

mylittledemon 04-16-2018 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storms123 (Post 1223459)
Given the backlash, which I assume is far more pervasive than they anticipated, I would think they would try to calm the tide a bit?

If this is true, I'm fairly certain the PR team would've told the band that it's best to say nothing rather than potentially add fuel to the fire. They wouldn't want to reflect negatively on the new line up... so to say "yeah Lindsey will be back in a few years" might make this change seem short lived and pointless rather than exciting and fresh. (I mean, is it really anyways? lol)

Storms123 04-16-2018 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 1223461)
If this is true, I'm fairly certain the PR team would've told the band that it's best to say nothing rather than potentially add fuel to the fire. They wouldn't want to reflect negatively on the new line up... so to say "yeah Lindsey will be back in a few years" might make this change seem short lived and pointless rather than exciting and fresh. (I mean, is it really anyways? lol)

No idea if it’s true...part “wishful thinking” and part freshman year of college business class. I honestly don’t think they expected the backlash they’ve received. I think the silence on both parts could be “let’s assess this as it continues to unfold “ and keep your mouth shut in case there’s a lawsuit. I like to think Lindsey’s silences is my point 2 above, but also attempting to not be part of the rumor and innuendo. I think the bands silence is my point #2 and an attempt to assess the landscape before they remaining 4 need to do press for the tour. The temperature of the fans will likely guide their messaging. Just all my opinion though.

StreetAngel86 04-16-2018 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by button-lip (Post 1223295)
Eagles are selling 60% of the arenas capacity, and Glenn Frey is dead. They must have thought fans reactions wouldn't be the same because Lindsey is pretty much alive. :woohoo:

Maybe LB should join the Eagles
and fill up that remaining 40% :thumbsup:

i hope this tour line up tanks
and Stevie can go join the Heartbreakers as ppl have suggested :wavey:

and FM officially disbands and never utters a word ever again.

mylittledemon 04-16-2018 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storms123 (Post 1223467)
No idea if it’s true...part “wishful thinking” and part freshman year of college business class. I honestly don’t think they expected the backlash they’ve received.

I wonder if they actually are genuinely worried about the backlash... I suppose ticket sales will be the only indicator to them that matters.

Storms123 04-16-2018 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 1223475)
I wonder if they actually are genuinely worried about the backlash... I suppose ticket sales will be the only indicator to them that matters.

The wallet rules the world :) If it's true the tour will officially be announced next week, we will soon find out. I am curious to see how they roll it out though--what markets, how broad, etc. IE do they avoid MSG and go to Barclays or Prudential for NY Area.... Situations like that.

bombaysaffires 04-16-2018 07:25 PM

"All I want to say to all of you is that the band meeting where the decision was made that he was no longer in the band was surely so ugly....so sad...so awful...that I, for one, am grateful that I wasn't a witness to it."

I think she's spot on with this.

TrueFaith77 04-16-2018 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1223483)
"All I want to say to all of you is that the band meeting where the decision was made that he was no longer in the band was surely so ugly....so sad...so awful...that I, for one, am grateful that I wasn't a witness to it."

I think she's spot on with this.

One thing you can say for her is that while she was often self-deluded, she vividly captured personalities of the band members. They are a nasty bunch.

Storms123 04-16-2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 (Post 1223487)
One thing you can say for her is that while she was often self-deluded, she vividly captured personalities of the band members. They are a nasty bunch.

She's also a bit of a "hanger on" even after all this time..She probably sees this news as a few more books to sell

Aussie W/Heart 04-16-2018 10:17 PM

I think its pretty safe to assume Carrol Ann would still be in contact with most of the "insiders" such a Sara Fleetwood etc.. Not the band, but friends of the band.

This latest debacle, i imagine spread like wildfire within there tight little community, after the sh$t hit the fan :distress:

BTW, I am sad and sorry it has all ended this way.. LB's energy and interactions on the stage will be greatly missed..

dreamsunwind 04-16-2018 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie W/Heart (Post 1223497)
I think its pretty safe to assume Carrol Ann would still be in contact with most of the "insiders" such a Sara Fleetwood etc.. Not the band, but friends of the band.

This latest debacle, i imagine spread like wildfire within there tight little community, after the sh$t hit the fan :distress:

I very highly doubt that she has been part of the band's circle at all since the 80s. She's probably still friends with Sara Fleetwood, but Sara herself is no longer part of that circle.

Aussie W/Heart 04-16-2018 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamsunwind (Post 1223499)
I very highly doubt that she has been part of the band's circle at all since the 80s. She's probably still friends with Sara Fleetwood, but Sara herself is no longer part of that circle.

Yes i agree, she has not been part of the bands circle in a very long time, but via the grapevine ... friends of friends :shrug:

That comment she posted on Instagram, IMHO was more than likely not just made up tho..