The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Can we have The Dance Deluxe please?! (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59448)

HomerMcvie 01-24-2022 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1272317)
her.

look up i think it was Gold Dust Woman from Paris 2013. one of her songs. he's soloing all over the place. it's amazing. and then look at the comments. Stevie cult spitting all over him that why is he overshadowing her on her song.

no wonder that he talks in interviews now how she hated him overshadowing her on stage with FM. in the past he was appeasing her for peace in the band. and look where that got him.

I've heard casual fan friends review their show to me(who has assumed they were going to the Stevie show).... they were shocked that it was the Lindsey show . She was an old lady who could barely move, and he was a rock GOD, commanding the stage for the entire show. How DARE he overshadow THE LEGEND!?

jbrownsjr 01-25-2022 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1272311)
Me thinks it's mutual. :lol:

We CLEARLY like grinding each other's gears.

I love it! Oh Homer, if I could make ya see. If there's been a jerk around, it's got to be you. yessssssssssssss it's got to be you... yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa............... :xoxo:

HomerMcvie 01-25-2022 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1272327)
I love it! Oh Homer, if I could make ya see. If there's been a jerk around, it's got to be you. yessssssssssssss it's got to be you... yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa............... :xoxo:

I'm not familiar with that song. But I could use a nap right now...

SteveMacD 01-25-2022 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1272308)
I only want to know who neutered it. Her or him.

Well, he WAS the musical director.

Here’s evidence that it was Lindsey who neutered the songs.

jbrownsjr 01-25-2022 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1272331)
I'm not familiar with that song. But I could use a nap right now...

I'll be waitin for ya, if you ever want to be there...

HomerMcvie 01-25-2022 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1272337)

Yeah, but I'm sure he did things to appease the old goat.

Macfan4life 01-25-2022 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1272343)

I bet when it comes to music, she does not tell him how to play (anymore). IMHO Sisters was no longer an encore and they shortened it as to include more songs in the set list. Stevie has no powerful voice so why should it also have a powerful ending?

Speaking of edits, the most strange that Stevie does have control over is her editing out her last verse of Edge of 17. The song is longer than ever with all her doves crying and long ending and she eliminates one of her best verses ever written. Makes no sense.

HomerMcvie 01-25-2022 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1272346)
Speaking of edits, the most strange that Stevie does have control over is her editing out her last verse of Edge of 17. The song is longer than ever with all her doves crying and long ending and she eliminates one of her best verses ever written. Makes no sense.

Is this your first day here? Has she ever made sense? It's a wonder she remembers to breathe!:lol:

UnwindedDreams 01-25-2022 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1272337)

Do you think Mike was the musical director on the last tour?

Chuck Leavell is for The Stones. Dave Rosenthal is for Billy Joel. Davey Johnstone for Elton. Waddy for Stevie.

elle 01-25-2022 06:57 PM

Quote:

of course he did.

and he stopped when Chris came back. one of the reasons he's out now.

Lindsey's OOTC tour as an example? oh yeah that was definitely one neutered tour. :laugh:

David 01-25-2022 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1272317)
look up i think it was Gold Dust Woman from Paris 2013. one of her songs. he's soloing all over the place. it's amazing. and then look at the comments. Stevie cult spitting all over him that why is he overshadowing her on her song.

If Stevie ever felt he was stepping on her musically in concert, she should have put more intensity into her performance. That's what they both used to do in the old days -- try to batter the hell out of each other with passionate arena rock showmanship -- and it made for a memorable show, especially if you were within twenty or thirty rows of the stage. (That's why they used to call Christine the eye of the hurricane.) The jiu jitsu started on "Monday Morning" and spiked and troughed through a two-hour set. The hand-holding cutesiness of "Angel" on the St. Louis film was early in the tour and did not last -- that song and others (like "World Turning" and "Go Your Own Way") developed into a Buckingham vs. Nicks fight for stage supremacy, whether through instrumental or vocal means. None of this "He's playing too loud" griping. When he turned it up, she turned it up. You guys have all seen "The Chain" from the 1982 LA gig. There were great patches like that at literally every show. I've always said that what everybody lauded as a one-off of emotional energy was happening all the time, actually. (You should have seen the Irvine Meadows show three days before that. LA was just like second and third takes.) It was thrilling back then because they really put it all into Fleetwood Mac. The band members were still tight enough to go outrageously over the top.

SteveMacD 01-25-2022 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1272349)
Do you think Mike was the musical director on the last tour?

I don’t know if they had one, to be honest. I think it was more of a group effort.

SteveMacD 01-25-2022 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1272353)
Lindsey's OOTC tour as an example? oh yeah that was definitely one neutered tour. :laugh:

“The Chain” was certainly neutered. Even the solo after the bass solo was significantly pared down. Blah. Like, why bother?

elle 01-25-2022 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1272357)
If Stevie ever felt he was stepping on her musically in concert, she should have put more intensity into her performance. That's what they both used to do in the old days -- try to batter the hell out of each other with passionate arena rock showmanship -- and it made for a memorable show, especially if you were within twenty or thirty rows of the stage. (That's why they used to call Christine the eye of the hurricane.) The jiu jitsu started on "Monday Morning" and spiked and troughed through a two-hour set. The hand-holding cutesiness of "Angel" on the St. Louis film was early in the tour and did not last -- that song and others (like "World Turning" and "Go Your Own Way") developed into a Buckingham vs. Nicks fight for stage supremacy, whether through instrumental or vocal means. None of this "He's playing too loud" griping. When he turned it up, she turned it up. You guys have all seen "The Chain" from the 1982 LA gig. There were great patches like that at literally every show. I've always said that what everybody lauded as a one-off of emotional energy was happening all the time, actually. (You should have seen the Irvine Meadows show three days before that. LA was just like second and third takes.) It was thrilling back then because they really put it all into Fleetwood Mac. The band members were still tight enough to go outrageously over the top.

love this so much! thanks for describing it.

yes, i guess what we newcomers in the fandom have now is mostly that crazy The Chain, so at least there's that memento of the times long passed.

bombaysaffires 01-25-2022 09:35 PM

Quote:

do not underestimate the contribution of coke to the energy of those performances, especially Stevie's. Without that energy boost, and combined with the inevitable slowing down of some kind due to aging (don't care about Lindsey; she's not him and clearly it has affected her differently than him) her performances just can't begin to retain that of the earlier years.

SteveMacD 01-25-2022 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1272363)
(don't care about Lindsey; she's not him and clearly it has affected her differently than him)

He’s slowed down, too, just differently. Physically, he still puts on a relatively energetic show, but the intensity has waned. He also doesn’t play as hard as he used to. Compare everything up to the Mirage tour, and even by the OOTC tour he started paring things down. It’s like he went from being a boxer to a wound up kid at Chuck E. Cheese.

Macfan4life 01-26-2022 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1272363)
do not underestimate the contribution of coke to the energy of those performances, especially Stevie's. Without that energy boost, and combined with the inevitable slowing down of some kind due to aging (don't care about Lindsey; she's not him and clearly it has affected her differently than him) her performances just can't begin to retain that of the earlier years.

Oh yes definitely. Coke was the fuel for many manic performances. By the mid 80s, it was ruining the performances but it was so bad it was sort of good in a twisted way. Then klonopin turned her into a zombie with passionless performances. Then she quit smoking and her voice got flat. Now she is just old.

I think her Gold Dust Woman performance at the Bob Welch and friends concert is one of the best ever. Totally coke fueled. Her speaking in tongues Sisters performance totally coke fueled. Even when she would speak to the audience in those days, her thoughts were one step ahead of her words and sometimes what she was talking about collided with what she was about to say and it made little sense. IMHO the best dancing she ever did on stage was at the end of How Still My Love on the Wild Heart tour. Benmont would play this solo near the end of the song and she would do this full body dance flapping her arms. It was insanely good. Coke fueled good times!

These were the days. How Still My Love was so good in those days. Its like her band slows down for her while she fetches a hat from the audience before the second verse. Incredible! Then she is so high she starts jogging in place at the mic near the end. LOVE IT. BTW, with the right mix of controlled substances, I can also do this dance and clap opposite the beat just like her.
It does not get better than this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if0l...Vl-f0&index=13

Steviegirl 01-26-2022 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1272367)
Oh yes definitely. Coke was the fuel for many manic performances. By the mid 80s, it was ruining the performances but it was so bad it was sort of good in a twisted way. Then klonopin turned her into a zombie with passionless performances. Then she quit smoking and her voice got flat. Now she is just old.

I think her Gold Dust Woman performance at the Bob Welch and friends concert is one of the best ever. Totally coke fueled. Her speaking in tongues Sisters performance totally coke fueled. Even when she would speak to the audience in those days, her thoughts were one step ahead of her words and sometimes what she was talking about collided with what she was about to say and it made little sense. IMHO the best dancing she ever did on stage was at the end of How Still My Love on the Wild Heart tour. Benmont would play this solo near the end of the song and she would do this full body dance flapping her arms. It was insanely good. Coke fueled good times!

These were the days. How Still My Love was so good in those days. Its like her band slows down for her while she fetches a hat from the audience before the second verse. Incredible! Then she is so high she starts jogging in place at the mic near the end. LOVE IT. BTW, with the right mix of controlled substances, I can also do this dance and clap opposite the beat just like her.
It does not get better than this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if0l...Vl-f0&index=13

Holy smokes. These are amazing. i thought I'd seen everything, but I've never seen these. Those were the days, indeed. If only these old films could be restored. Thank you so much for sharing.

mylittledemon 01-27-2022 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1272366)
He’s slowed down, too, just differently. Physically, he still puts on a relatively energetic show, but the intensity has waned. He also doesn’t play as hard as he used to. It’s like he went from being a boxer to a wound up kid at Chuck E. Cheese.

His playing on the HBO/Mirage tour show is just... frenetic. Then you look at the way he plays NGBA nowadays and it's just blahhhh. But we forgive him, I mean it's been 40 years! ;)

Macfan4life 01-28-2022 05:07 AM

replying to Steviegirl:

These were the wild days when she had total sex appeal and could get away with crazy stuff on stage because of her looks. By the time RAL came around, her vocals were cokey, she just screamed and yelled, and her weight gain hurt her image. The Wild Heart tour was hit or miss with more hits. RAL was mostly misses. I've listened to most Wild Heart shows on youtube and pretty much think I saw the worst one. At times her vocals were cokey but there were times of really great vocals. Her decline started with Wild Heart shows. Bella Donna was fierce and strong vocals. But this time was the best with her going right up to the line of keeping control. She can be crazy but still belt out a pretty good vocal performance. IMHO her best years were 1980-1983
I've always wondered what happened to the Pro Shot Largo show post Gypsy. Maybe the tape was destroyed or maybe it was so bad it was destroyed on purpose :lol:. She started out really cokey. I believe they planned the entire Elaine thing making it a wow moment for the concert video. But I think she was too high to let it be released.
In any event, like you I wish there were more pro shot videos of this time but I am so thankful even for this grainy footage because of all things...it was WILD! She did the MC Hammer dance almost 20 years before MC Hammer :lol:

vivfox 01-28-2022 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1272367)

Well this was a nice surprise. Never saw these videos before.

SteveMacD 01-28-2022 06:55 PM

Quote:

The counter to that is “Black Magic Woman” from the last tour where there was an extended jam with Mike and Christine.

UnwindedDreams 01-28-2022 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1272418)
The counter to that is “Black Magic Woman” from the last tour where there was an extended jam with Mike and Christine.

Black Magic Woman isn't her song and she did sing Ah, Ah, Ah, Ah over the jam at the shows I attended. She introduced the song saying that it was written by Peter Green and that she thought it was written by Carlos Santana (she never said Santana but a band that will remain nameless)

No soloing in Rhiannon which would've been nice. I wish Neil had sung Black Magic Woman instead of Stevie. Chris would've sounded good on that one too.

jbrownsjr 01-29-2022 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1272418)

That was the best moment in the tour for me. Watching them jam.

HomerMcvie 01-29-2022 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1272428)
That was the best moment in the tour for me. Watching them jam.

There was a tour?:laugh:

michelej1 02-06-2022 05:08 PM

Quote:

And it was inspiration through competition. It only began to bother Stevie when she couldn’t keep up any longer, when aches and pains left her unable to do what had been so effortless in her youth. Jump a foot off the ground in platforms, scream without fear of hurting her vocal chords, pound the stage without a break, etc. That’s when she began to tell herself and her fans that Lindsey was monopolizing the stage. Lindsay did what he had always done. The problem was, he didn’t voluntarily take it down a notch because she was FORCED to take it down the match. So that made him unbearable.

vivfox 02-06-2022 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1272578)
That’s when she began to tell herself and her fans that Lindsey was monopolizing the stage. Lindsay did what he had always done

I never once heard her complain that LB monopolized the stage. It's Lindsey, BTW. (Haha. Gotcha)

michelej1 02-06-2022 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1272583)
I never once heard her complain that LB monopolized the stage. It's Lindsey, BTW. (Haha. Gotcha)

I can’t find the whirling dervish quote, but that’s where she talked about him running around the stage and said she couldn’t compete with that. Was she complaining? You could say not, but her fans complained bitterly. He was trying to upstage her, they insisted . No, her own past upstaged her.

I don’t argue with Siri or autocorrect about the spelling of that man’s name. As I have said many times, I don’t even fight often about the spelling of my own name, I don’t care about his and I question Rutheda’s choices.

When I was on my desktop computer years ago, I was a spelling pro. Now, I am on my iPad and whatever happens happens.

vivfox 02-06-2022 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1272585)
I can’t find the whirling dervish quote, but that’s where she talked about him running around the stage and said she couldn’t compete with that. Was she complaining? You could say not, but her fans complained bitterly. He was trying to upstage her, they insisted . No, her own past upstaged her.

I don’t argue with Siri or autocorrect about the spelling of that man’s name. As I have said many times, I don’t even fight often about the spelling of my own name, I don’t care about his and I question Rutheda’s choices.

When I was on my desktop computer years ago, I was a spelling pro. Now, I am on my iPad and whatever happens happens.

I actually fretted a bit you might send me to Ledgie jail for writing that. I still use a desktop. I like my large screen and I have always been the grammar police. And you know I'm not like most Stevie fans. I actually have a sense of humor.

HomerMcvie 02-06-2022 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1272586)
I actually fretted a bit you might send me to Ledgie jail for writing that. I still use a desktop. I like my large screen and I have always been the grammar police. And you know I'm not like most Stevie fans. I actually have a sense of humor.

I appreciate every point in this post. I hate posting on my phone, because mistakes are inevitable when doing so.
And I too am a member of the grammar police. I TRY to keep my badge put away, but I'm secretly judging... oh yes....I am. :wavey:

michelej1 02-06-2022 09:22 PM

I use the speaker to dictate and sometimes, I am not kidding, the words change just as you hit SEND.

It will have the correct phrase and then, just as I hit send, it converts it to something no human would ever say.

HomerMcvie 02-06-2022 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1272590)
I use the speaker to dictate and sometimes, I am not kidding, the words change just as you hit SEND.

It will have the correct phrase and then, just as I hit send, it converts it to something no human would ever say.

Voice to text(which I use half of the time) ALWAYS gets at least one word wrong. Butt(pun) I'm so anal, I HAVE to proofread and fix it before hitting send. If I'm driving and voice to texting a friend, I will ALWAYS preface my texts with, "I'm driving, so please forgive the voice to texts mistakes".

moon 02-08-2022 07:38 AM

Hi! I'm listening to The Dance right now, but I made a playlist including Oh Daddy and Second Hand News from a radio broadcast. It sounds really good! It's hard for me to know that most of the parts were recorded at the studio. The songs which were broadcasted on radio were also pre-recorded too?? I feel no difference!!
I definitely would say that, if a deluxe edition includes ALL the songs which were played but not released with any version of the album, FM and Warner can count with my vote. Definitely!
Everytime I hear the entire album, it sounds really fresh for me.:thumbsup:

jbrownsjr 02-08-2022 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moon (Post 1272628)
Hi! I'm listening to The Dance right now, but I made a playlist including Oh Daddy and Second Hand News from a radio broadcast. It sounds really good! It's hard for me to know that most of the parts were recorded at the studio. The songs which were broadcasted on radio were also pre-recorded too?? I feel no difference!!
I definitely would say that, if a deluxe edition includes ALL the songs which were played but not released with any version of the album, FM and Warner can count with my vote. Definitely!

I forgot about the radio broadcast. I had listened to that one a few times.

moon 02-08-2022 03:13 PM

In fact, ordering some files on my PC, I found them and included on The Dance folder. Was good to hear something closer to the complete setlist they used to do on that tour, of course knowing that they had some exceptions on some dates! Even Oh Daddy, which is not a favourite of mine, sounds pretty cool with a "1997" sound!

jbrownsjr 02-08-2022 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moon (Post 1272645)
In fact, ordering some files on my PC, I found them and included on The Dance folder. Was good to hear something closer to the complete setlist they used to do on that tour, of course knowing that they had some exceptions on some dates! Even Oh Daddy, which is not a favourite of mine, sounds pretty cool with a "1997" sound!

Honestly, after hearing the Dance version, I fell in love with the song, (again).

David 02-08-2022 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moon (Post 1272628)
Hi! I'm listening to The Dance right now, but I made a playlist including Oh Daddy and Second Hand News from a radio broadcast. It sounds really good! It's hard for me to know that most of the parts were recorded at the studio.

I would say that most of what we’re hearing on the album comes from the live Burbank performances. Of course, the band polished the mixes in production and then mastered everything carefully, but this idea that the majority of the live album is from post-production cannot be true.

Quote:

The songs which were broadcasted on radio were also pre-recorded too??
I don’t think so. The Westwood One radio broadcast might have had some post-production done, but the majority is a recorded concert as heard at Irvine Meadows on the tour.

I think other people go overboard with their claims that such-and-such is all post-production. If Fleetwood Mac had done as much post-production on the 1980 LIVE album as some people say, it would have taken the band another six months to get the album out.

Quote:

If they could just round up all the stray songs, that would be a great start. I remember that “Gold Dust Woman” was on a CD single or something else, as were a few others. Add “Go Insane,” “Gold Dust Woman,” and anything else that appears on the DVD but was left off the album in 1997. If they want to stick some tour performances in, go for it.

HomerMcvie 02-09-2022 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1272648)
I would say that most of what we’re hearing on the album comes from the live Burbank performances. Of course, the band polished the mixes in production and then mastered everything carefully, but this idea that the majority of the live album is from post-production cannot be true.

I don’t think so. The Westwood One radio broadcast might have had some post-production done, but the majority is a recorded concert as heard at Irvine Meadows on the tour.

I think other people go overboard with their claims that such-and-such is all post-production. If Fleetwood Mac had done as much post-production on the 1980 LIVE album as some people say, it would have taken the band another six months to get the album out.

If they could just round up all the stray songs, that would be a great start. I remember that “Gold Dust Woman” was on a CD single or something else, as were a few others. Add “Go Insane,” “Gold Dust Woman,” and anything else that appears on the DVD but was left off the album in 1997. If they want to stick some tour performances in, go for it.

I'm throwing the BS FLAG. From Mirage forward, everything was overdubbed. At least as far as guitar solos. There's a reason the solos are always a "side shot".

Macfan4life 02-09-2022 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1272658)
I'm throwing the BS FLAG. From Mirage forward, everything was overdubbed. At least as far as guitar solos. There's a reason the solos are always a "side shot".

Elementary, my dear Watson

Circumstantial evidence but Lindsey's guitar licks on You Make Loving Fun are insane on Mirage. Its perfection just like the album and I have never heard him duplicate that again live. Maybe its age. Maybe its overdubbed or maybe its Memorex :lol:

moon 02-09-2022 09:19 AM

Good points those you wrote! :blob2:
It's hard to find live albums not overdubbed, except if they were recorded in a very particular way. Live sounds more "natural" than The Dance, even knowing Live was recorded in stadiums and The Dance in a smaller place...
I have some examples, but the things overdubbed of course don't make the 100% of the final product...maybe a guitar, maybe a keyboard!
I was SO sure that there's Lindsey's backing vocals on My Little Demon. Listening to it yesterday, I repeated the chorus and the voice behind his wasn't Stevie's, wasn't Sharon's, wasn't Chris'...
If not the instruments, voices are something almost always modified!