The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tom Petty (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57493)

jbrownsjr 10-03-2017 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gldstwmn (Post 1217142)
Walls is one of my personal favorites and a great Tom Petty song. The vocals rock. It's a fun song to sing.

Great tune! :thumbsup:

jbrownsjr 10-03-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gldstwmn (Post 1217142)
Walls is one of my personal favorites and a great Tom Petty song. The vocals rock. It's a fun song to sing.

This is my favorite. Loved the video, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKDYErlu5Kc

estranged4life 10-03-2017 10:40 AM

So true, so true...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkmaletic (Post 1217143)
Death is tragic, period - for the deceased and for the surviving loved ones. It's "about" the deceased and everyone that loved them.

"been there and done that" WAY too much in the month of October. :(

svnwndrs 10-03-2017 01:32 PM

I’m honestly in disbelief. There have been way too many great artists who have passed within the past 2 years. I mean, WTH is going on!? RIP Mr. Petty. Another one my favorite recording artists gone... :distress:

TheWildHeart67 10-03-2017 01:34 PM

I'm watching his performance of "Mary Jane's last dance" from 9-25-17. Sounded great. Sad

michelej1 10-03-2017 01:44 PM

Tony Dimitriades put out the word. With Tony's connection to the Mac, I'm sure they were among the first to know. Tom was technically "alive" for quite awhile, even though he was brain dead. I think they were giving family and friends time to get there to say their goodbyes.

Michele

Dragon 10-03-2017 02:11 PM

Tom's passing is sudden and tragic. Prayers and condolences to his family and to the Heartbreakers: Mike Campbell, Benmont Tench, Ron Blair, Scott Thurston, and Steve Ferrone.

Notable members of the Heartbreakers have collaborated with Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles:
  • Mike Campbell: co-wrote and performed on Don Henley and Stevie Nicks studio releases
  • Benmont Tench: co-wrote with Don Henley; performed on Don Henley and Stevie Nicks studio releases
  • Steve Ferrone: performed on Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks studio releases; toured with Christine McVie in 1984
  • Stan Lynch: produced for and performed with Don Henley and the Eagles

SorcererJP 10-03-2017 02:30 PM

Thankful, that I saw him and her this summer in London ...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4462/...432_IMG_0795">

SorcererJP 10-03-2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1217134)
Exactly, he lived his life doing what he loves. (Right up to the moment). I'm really sad he's gone. This just came out of nowhere. :distress:

Well, when I saw his show in London last July, I was really under the impression that he was somekind of ill (or smoked too much pot). His hands en body were/was so shaky and his voice as well.

lennonfan 10-03-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorcererJP (Post 1217168)
Well, when I saw his show in London last July, I was really under the impression that he was somekind of ill (or smoked too much pot). His hands en body were/was so shaky and his voice as well.

both Stevie and Tom were lifelong pot heads and I'm sure it was something they could bond over other than music.
Louis Armstrong also was a pot head since his teen years and didn't he live till his 90's? ...and Willie Nelson is still toking strong well into his 80's.
I'm sure after 5 decades of pot headdom it wasn't pot...but perhaps some other medication we're unaware of? Just a bad night with jet lag? who knows?

lulu28 10-03-2017 03:14 PM

My heart is broken. Tom's death has also hit me harder than any other performer's death. I can't imagine the pain that his family, his band and Stevie are in right now. Say what you will, but she and Tom were tight. They were best friends and he was her confidant, her biggest cheerleader and sometimes her drill sergeant. I truly feel for her. I know what it's like to lose your best friend without the chance to say goodbye. She, along with his family and the Heartbreakers, is in my prayers.

jbrownsjr 10-03-2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I didn't know this. I hope the performance was still great.

Gypsy0033 10-03-2017 03:49 PM

RIP Tom. Deepest condolences to his family and friends. Thank you for all the years of such wonderful and memorable music. :(
<3

Jondalar 10-03-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

You know one thing that was always in the back of mind about Tom is that he was a drug addict in the 1990s and no one knew it. I mean he was doing heroine in his 40s. In your 40s drugs wiuld even be harder on the heart. I never understood that either because it just seemed late in life to become an addict. Plus, he had the money to enjoy life in other ways. I wonder just what went on in 90s. Ive also been very surprised by Ann Wilson who was doing a ton of drugs in the 1990s and no one knew it. Steven Tyler-well we all knew he was going to backslide.

I guess I just have always thought doing drugs by classic rock artists was such an 1980s thing. I shouldn't be that surprised about Tom having heart problems. He was damaging his heart during middle age.

sue 10-03-2017 04:08 PM

In the UK....BBC4 HD has Rock goes to college....at 10:30 this evening..

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in concert at Oxford Poly in 1980..

RockyRaccoon 10-03-2017 05:20 PM

https://youtu.be/pCBsY-EnC7U

Live in Gatorville 2006 - Incredible concert.

Stevie sings lead with Tom on "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around", "I Need to Know" and "Insider" and provides backing vocals on "Learning to Fly", "Don't Come Around Here No More" and "American Girl".

Buster 10-03-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1217146)
This is my favorite. Loved the video, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKDYErlu5Kc

Without a doubt, his best song. I have never been devastated by a musician/celebrity death like this. Tom Petty & HB my first rock concert, 1981. Saw him numerous other times, including Mudcrutch, the tour with Bob Dylan, 4 times in 2006 with Stevie among others. The 2006 tour will always stand out with that elegantly paced set list and bringing out the best performance in Stevie in years (esp. her insane tambo banging at end of DCAHNM).

This morning I gathered in my mind a quick list of the well-known TP songs - I challenge to name any performer with a more solid list (Breakdown, Refugee, Don't Do Me Like That, Here Comes My Girl, Even the Losers, The Waiting, Woman in Love, You Got Lucky, Deliver Me, DCAHNM, Jammin' Me, Free Fallin', Won't Back Down, Running Down a Dream, You Wreck Me, You Don't Know How It Feels, Learning to Fly, Mary Jane's Last Dance, Stop Draggin My Heart Around, I'm sure I'm missing some).

What a loss.

dontlookdown 10-03-2017 07:34 PM

I’m with you.

Honestly it’s hard to pick a favorite, but Woman In Love might be it for me.
That song represents my favorite era and my favorite album.

What a tremendous loss. The show I saw less than two weeks ago is still with me.

I’m fearing Stevie’s first public statement on Tom.
It’s going to be hard to read - this is tragic for the whole LA music community.
An icon for the country, and that and a whole lot more for California.

WatchChain 10-03-2017 07:50 PM

Has Stevie Nicks commented to the press?

michelej1 10-03-2017 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontlookdown (Post 1217189)

What a tremendous loss. The show I saw less than two weeks ago is still with me.

"Less than two weeks ago" is so eerie. Even as old as I am, I still get shocked by the suddenness and finality of death.

Michele

bombaysaffires 10-03-2017 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1217190)

I've not seen anything so far. I'm sure she's been inundated with requests for a comment (well, her management has been inundated).

DIdn't she have a comment/statement fairly soon after Glen Frey died? And also Prince?

I mean obviously she was light years closer to Tom......so it will be interesting (well that's not the right word, but you know what I mean) to see how long it takes her to say anything in public.

Also, she's close to Tom's current wife (she gave her a place to live when they were dating) so she's likely grieving with his wife Dana as well as the guys in the Heartbreakers.

24karatstevie 10-03-2017 10:09 PM

I still can't believe it. I cried multiple times today. Tom's death has hit me harder than any artist ever has. I've spent the whole day listening to his albums. He really was an exquisite talent; I can't even name a bad song. I also watched some of his performances with Stevie. Their voices together were absolute magic. I always said I wished they would record a duet album. Sad that that day will never come. There will never be anyone like Tom Petty, we're so lucky to have had his music in our lives. 

Nathan 10-03-2017 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1217190)

I don’t think so. There was that picture posted yesterday of her with the Heartbreakers and Shania Twain though so I think she’s actually pretty close to it. Too close to be on social media about it maybe.

gypsy333 10-04-2017 08:15 AM

does anyone have a link to the picture posted yesterday of the Heartbreakers, Stevie and Shania?

SisterNightroad 10-04-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsy333 (Post 1217205)
does anyone have a link to the picture posted yesterday of the Heartbreakers, Stevie and Shania?

Here on Danielle's site: http://crystallineknowledge.tumblr.c...witter-account

gypsy333 10-04-2017 08:33 AM

thanks for posting! so I guess this was after Tom's Death?

kak125 10-04-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsy333 (Post 1217208)
thanks for posting! so I guess this was after Tom's Death?

this pic was from the summer

lennonfan 10-04-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kak125 (Post 1217210)
this pic was from the summer

Is that a bowl in Mike's hand? :)

WatchChain 10-04-2017 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lennonfan (Post 1217211)
Is that a bowl in Mike's hand? :)

LOL! I wouldn't doubt it. Those most of these people gave up hard drugs years ago, they still smoke pot like chimneys. No big deal, pot is totally harmless.

Also, I've never really considered Shania Twain to be musically in the same class with these legendary songwriters---but, it's nice that she can hang out with them.

"Let's go girls---Man, I feel like a woman---ok, so you're a rocket scientist--honey I'm home, rub my feet, give me somethin' to eat....":)

dreamsunwind 10-05-2017 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1217194)
I've not seen anything so far. I'm sure she's been inundated with requests for a comment (well, her management has been inundated).

DIdn't she have a comment/statement fairly soon after Glen Frey died? And also Prince?

I mean obviously she was light years closer to Tom......so it will be interesting (well that's not the right word, but you know what I mean) to see how long it takes her to say anything in public.

Also, she's close to Tom's current wife (she gave her a place to live when they were dating) so she's likely grieving with his wife Dana as well as the guys in the Heartbreakers.

Lindsey was also very close with Tom and the Heartbreakers. Sad time for everyone.

kak125 10-05-2017 08:39 AM

I saw this today on twitter. I'm assuming its the real twitter account of Jessica Nicks.

lennonfan 10-05-2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1217218)
LOL! I wouldn't doubt it. Those most of these people gave up hard drugs years ago, they still smoke pot like chimneys. No big deal, pot is totally harmless.

Also, I've never really considered Shania Twain to be musically in the same class with these legendary songwriters---but, it's nice that she can hang out with them.

"Let's go girls---Man, I feel like a woman---ok, so you're a rocket scientist--honey I'm home, rub my feet, give me somethin' to eat....":)

yeah, food usually isn't that shiny LOL.
A great pic tho, wouldn't mind sitting at that table:)

jkmaletic 10-05-2017 01:47 PM

There's been a lot of sites putting up their top ten Petty songs. Here are mine, ranked.

1. Don't Come Around Here No More
2. You Got Lucky
3. Refugee
4. Breakdown
5. You Wreck Me
6. Here Comes My Girl
7. Face in the Crowd
8. Runnin' Down a Dream
9. Listen to Her Heart
10. Saving Grace

Jamie

secondhandchain 10-05-2017 05:02 PM

I love in the Lindsey Buckingham Behind the Music episode where Tom said that "nobody produces Stevie like Lindsey". Basically said that he'd be working on some Stevie songs for a solo album and later heard them on a FM album and was like "OH! of course that's how it should be done" or something to that affect.

Buster 10-05-2017 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkmaletic (Post 1217246)
There's been a lot of sites putting up their top ten Petty songs. Here are mine, ranked.

2. You Got Lucky
3. Refugee
4. Breakdown
5. You Wreck Me
6. Here Comes My Girl
7. Face in the Crowd
8. Runnin' Down a Dream
9. Listen to Her Heart
10. Saving Grace

Jamie

1. Woman In Love
2. Learning To Fly
3. Even the Losers
4. The Waiting
5. Mary Jane's Last Dance
6. Listen to Her Heart
7. Don't Come Around Here No More
8. Jammin' Me
9. Insider
10. King's Road

Jondalar 10-05-2017 06:13 PM

1. Stop Dragging My Heart Around
2. You got lucky
3. Free Falling
4. American Girl
5. Don't do me Like that
6. Breakdown
7. Refugee
8. Face in A Crowd
9. Runaway Train
10. I won't back down

jwd 10-05-2017 06:32 PM

Damn, this one really, really hurts. :distress: RIP Tom Petty. Thank You SO MUCH for all the songs and music you've given us! Deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Saw Tom and The Heartbreakers and Stevie in Columbus back in 2006 from the tour featured in the YouTube video above. Was a night I'll never forget.

Long live the Spirit of Tom Petty!

WatchChain 10-05-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkmaletic (Post 1217246)

2. You Got Lucky
3. Refugee
4. Breakdown
5. You Wreck Me
6. Here Comes My Girl
7. Face in the Crowd
8. Runnin' Down a Dream
9. Listen to Her Heart
10. Saving Grace

Jamie

1) American Girl
2) Don't Come Around Here No More
3) Insider (Live)
4) Walls
5) The Waiting
6) Learning To Fly
7) Jammin' Me
8) Here Comes My Girl
9) Free Fallin'
10) Don't Do Me Like That

WatchChain 10-05-2017 07:14 PM

FAVORITE STEVIE/TOM STORY

In the late 80's, Stevie Nicks would co-write songs with Mike Campbell. For the "TANGO" sessions, she recorded the song "Runaway Trains" for a Fleetwood Mac album. In casual passing, I think the song was played for Tom Petty. Tom had a **** fit when he heard Stevie's version because he had just recorded the song for The Heartbreakers album "Let Me Up (I've Had Enough). Tom Petty basically told Stevie and The Mac using a few colorful words that they WOULD NOT use his song "Runaway Trains".

And that is how "Runaway Trains" did not end up on "Tango In The Night".

sue 10-06-2017 05:06 PM

Just watched Classic Albums on BBC4.......the making of Damn the Torpedoes..

Very sad, very sad.