The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Rank Stevie's 8 Studio Album covers from 1 to 8 (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=54031)

KarmaContestant 08-08-2014 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markolas (Post 1138357)
She looks like she's wrapped up in a quilt on the Timespace cover. And she looks like a mental patient on that single cover for The Dealer. If I couldn't see the sleeves, I'd swear that was a strait jacket.

Laughing so hard at this. Thank you. :laugh:

PenguinHead 08-09-2014 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontlookdown (Post 1138308)
I've never been a big fan of any of her covers. I think they are a little cheesy and certainly don't have to be.
One of my favorite pictures of her was from the promo posters for Street Angel.
I remember seeing it huge on the side of a bus going by in Santa Monica and thinking - wow, that would have made a powerful album cover.

That's a great photo! You're so right, it would have made a great album cover, yet nepotism prevailed. Stevie was generous and kind to give the art direction to her brother. Yet his hack, unprofessional skills didn't do her any favors.

Dex 08-09-2014 06:02 AM

This thread has made me realise how little I care for/about most of Stevie's covers. I got stuck after putting Bella Donna and TISL (love them both) at the top of my list. Kinda sad considering how much work goes into them.

The Wild Heart is the most frustrating to me, because the album within is one of my all-time favourites. Yet that logo on the cover is just absurdly hokey, especially in tandem with the purply-pouty posing in the photo. I feel a little embarrassed for it. It's the visual equivalent of Stevie proudly announcing that she just wrote a song about Twilight.

HoursAndHours 08-09-2014 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dex (Post 1138406)
This thread has made me realise how little I care for/about most of Stevie's covers. I got stuck after putting Bella Donna and TISL (love them both) at the top of my list. Kinda sad considering how much work goes into them.

The Wild Heart is the most frustrating to me, because the album within is one of my all-time favourites. Yet that logo on the cover is just absurdly hokey, especially in tandem with the purply-pouty posing in the photo. I feel a little embarrassed for it. It's the visual equivalent of Stevie proudly announcing that she just wrote a song about Twilight.

I like the cover for The Wild Heart quite a bit in comparison to her other album covers, precisely for the "purply-pouty posing," lol. The twilight thing, well, as long as I remember not to think about that when I listen, I'm ok. :D

I'll reiterate that I think many (but not all) of the covers for her singles are stunning, and far, far better than her album covers.

MikeInNV 08-09-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoursAndHours (Post 1138424)
I'll reiterate that I think many (but not all) of the covers for her singles are stunning, and far, far better than her album covers.

We're waiting for you to start that poll. :nod:

Johnny Stew 08-09-2014 11:46 AM

Ranking the studio albums only:

1. Trouble In Shangri-La
2. The Wild Heart
3. Rock A Little
4. Bella Donna
5. 24 Karat Gold
6. In Your Dreams
7. The Other Side Of The Mirror
8. Street Angel

Ranking studio albums & compilations:

Trouble In Shangri-La
The Wild Heart
Rock A Little
Crystal Visions
Bella Donna
24 Karat Gold
In Your Dreams
The Other Side Of The Mirror
Timespace
Enchanted
Street Angel
Soundstage Sessions

sorcerer999 08-09-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeInNV (Post 1138442)
We're waiting for you to start that poll. :nod:

I second this! :nod:

Richard B 08-09-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dex (Post 1138406)

Oh noes...that's too bad. I think it's a stunning cover, especially in 1983. I remember being very young and first seeing the cover, and just absolutely fascinated (had no idea who Stevie Nicks was). Fast forward to me talking to Herbert Worthington III and listening to him explain the meaning in the cover locked in my love and appreciation for the cover. :cool:

Oddly enough, I'm not a big fan of TISL. I can't stand the pastel colors, that ridiculous dragon "S"...yikes, the bougainvillea flowers (I see Florida) and lastly Stevie's backside. Um, just no. On a positive note, I do like this photo used in other promo materials and would have made a better cover (sans the pastel and S logo).
http://www.fleetwoodmacforsale.com/PF051.jpg

Artemis 08-12-2014 02:13 AM

1) Trouble in Shangri-La
2) The Wild Heart
3) 24 Karat Gold
4) Bella Donna
5) Rock A Little
6) In Your Dreams (I still hate that bloody bubble)
7) The Other Side Of The Mirror
8) Street Angel (pink blob with Stevie's head attached. Horrible typography. Why.)

Travis 08-12-2014 07:03 AM

01) Rock A Little (sexy, sharp and tight)
02) Street Angel (solid)
03) 24 Karat Gold (beautiful close up)
04) Wild Heart (haunting)
05) OSOTM (love the theme, just wish they hadn't photo shopped her face)
06) Trouble In Shangri-La (too girly for my taste)
07) Bella Donna (too airy fairy)
08) In Your Dreams (dislike what they did to her face, made her look way too young - unrealistic)
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1161/...bb13c34ac0.jpg

Danigirl 08-12-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dex
It's the visual equivalent of Stevie proudly announcing that she just wrote a song about Twilight.

I felt the same way! I thought to myself "really, the woman I find so creative and unique is inspired by Twilight"? It was a bummer.

HoursAndHours 08-12-2014 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danigirl (Post 1138818)
I felt the same way! I thought to myself "really, the woman I find so creative and unique is inspired by Twilight"? It was a bummer.

I have to actively remind myself not to think about that (or the title) when I listen to Moonlight. But I suppose if it inspired her to record an album, at least there's that.

Phil 08-12-2014 09:49 PM

My preferences would be:

1. The Wild Heart (I never used to be sure about this, but ultimately, it's quintessential Stevie.)
2. Bella Donna (Even though this is not the most flattering of photos, I love the outfit and the blue hues. I would have preferred the "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" or "After The Glitter Fades" covers for the album shot, but it's still an iconic cover.)
3. 24 Karat Gold (Who would have thought that after all these years of carefully cultivated album shoots, Stevie would opt for a polaroid, most likely by her own hand? I dislike the hat, but overall, it works surprisingly well. She also happens to look gorgeous.)
4. Trouble In Shangri-La (I remember preferring the shot of her sitting - as per Richard B's post - at the time of release, but I grew to really love this cover. I still don't know that waving her arse at us was necessarily the best idea, but it does work rather well.)
5. Rock A Little (I really dig this shot, but it's difficult to get beyond all the 'doctoring' of the image. Her face looks similar to how it did on the back cover of the Tango In The Night album ie kinda fraudulent - reminiscent of Donna Mills. That said, it is a striking pose and does capture the essence of the album.)
6. The Other Side Of The Mirror (I love the vibrancy of this shot, but agree with others that the photoshopping of Stevie's face is absurd. I always thought the back photo should have been on the front.)
7. Street Angel (This could have been worse. The actual photo isn't too bad, it's more the amateurish graphics that make it look so lame.)
8. In Your Dreams (This is simply hideous. Others have commented on Stevie's face looking too young - I'm more concerned with just how ugly and distorted she looks. The cover of "Secret Love" or the ubiquitous promo photo of her in the top hat both would have been preferable to the actual cover.)

~*BellaDonna*~ 04-28-2016 11:02 AM

1. Trouble In Shangri-La
2. Rock A Little
3. 24 Karot Gold
4. The Wild Heart
5. Bella Donna
6. The Other Side Of The Mirrior
7. Street Angel
8. I'm Your Dreams

lilyfee 04-28-2016 02:25 PM

1. ROCK A LITTLE
2. THE WILD HEART
3. TROUBLE IN SHANGRI LA
4. THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MIRROR
5. BELLA DONNA
6. 24 KARAT GOLD
7. IN YOUR DREAMS
8. STREET ANGEL

I looove all of the full body shots for album covers. Street Angel's cover irks me to no end because it does not even remotely match the others. I definitely agree that the promo photos would have worked much better!

I don't know why the TOSOTM cover gets so much hate... I find it compelling. And the RAL cover is just so striking, I can't not rank that #1. I can see why Stevie didn't use the Herbert Worthington photos... They don't do her any justice!:distress:

I think IYD is pretty bad too... When I first saw it I was upset because I thought Stevie had put someone else on the cover to represent her. It doesn't look like her at all.:sorry: