The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gypsy appreciation... (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=48837)

Autumn Ocean 05-17-2014 06:23 PM

I was in a music store yesterday and they had Gypsy blasting through awesome speakers. I stopped in my tracks and just bathed in it.

I love this song and play it often but hearing it fresh made me love it even more.

How great is Mick's drumming on this track?

How perfect and sensitive are Lindsey's guitars?

How strange is it that a song without a chorus was a hit single?

jbrownsjr 05-17-2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumn Ocean (Post 1130435)
I was in a music store yesterday and they had Gypsy blasting through awesome speakers. I stopped in my tracks and just bathed in it.

I love this song and play it often but hearing it fresh made me love it even more.

The backing vocals over it make it sublime.

secondhandchain 05-17-2014 09:09 PM

I would love to hear the stems for this track.

bombaysaffires 05-17-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

I love that Lindsey left it alone and didn't try to force some attempt at a chorus on it like he did with the production of Smile At You on SYW (I should have turned around and ran as fast as I can... shudder). Stevie's songs don't always follow a traditional verse/chorus format and they can still be wonderful..

MikeVielhaber 05-17-2014 11:43 PM

Quote:

The line "And You see your Gypsy" could be considered a chorus. It's a line that's used multiple times and includes the song title.

While a hit single without a chorus is not common it's also not necessarily rare. There are plenty of examples.

missundercover 05-18-2014 05:30 AM

I must agree: Gypsy is a perfect song. As song but also the production.

Dex 05-18-2014 05:36 AM

I never thought about the fact that Gypsy doesn't have a chorus. I suppose Lindsey's hooky little guitar picking is the most melodically iconic part of the song and really functions as the chorus, although it isn't sung. It wraps the whole thing up and allows it to work as a pop song, while still being true to Stevie's quirky vision. Brilliantly done all around.

secondhandchain 05-18-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1130456)
I love that Lindsey left it alone and didn't try to force some attempt at a chorus on it like he did with the production of Smile At You on SYW (I should have turned around and ran as fast as I can... shudder). Stevie's songs don't always follow a traditional verse/chorus format and they can still be wonderful..

There is a chorus if you ask me. "you see your gypsy" could be considered a chorus.

jbrownsjr 05-18-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondhandchain (Post 1130515)
There is a chorus if you ask me. "you see your gypsy" could be considered a chorus.

Yes I agree. A verse B chorus A verse B chorus C intrumental outro

Autumn Ocean 05-19-2014 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber (Post 1130458)
The line "And You see your Gypsy" could be considered a chorus. It's a line that's used multiple times and includes the song title.

While a hit single without a chorus is not common it's also not necessarily rare. There are plenty of examples.

"You see your Gypsy" would be a refrain. After reading your post, I did some reading. A chorus has a "change up", while those lines are delivered over the same musical passage as the rest of the verse.

secondhandchain 05-19-2014 11:11 AM

I don't agree. It the melody changes, then it's the chorus. I guess Dreams doesn't have a chorus then? F and G the whole song.

Losing my religion is a good example of a no chorus song.

MikeVielhaber 05-19-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondhandchain (Post 1130547)

The "That's me in the corner..." section sounds like a chorus to me.

jbrownsjr 05-19-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber (Post 1130548)
The "That's me in the corner..." section sounds like a chorus to me.

uhhh I have that horrible song in my head now... :distress:

Autumn Ocean 05-20-2014 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondhandchain (Post 1130547)
I don't agree. It the melody changes, then it's the chorus. I guess Dreams doesn't have a chorus then? F and G the whole song.

Dreams has a chorus. The harmonies from Lindsey and Christine, the strummed acoustic guitar and the percussion that don't appear elsewhere in the song make it so. The chords mightn't change but it is a distinct chorus.

Gypsy doesn't.

secret love 05-20-2014 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumn Ocean (Post 1130616)
Dreams has a chorus. The harmonies from Lindsey and Christine, the strummed acoustic guitar and the percussion that don't appear elsewhere in the song make it so. The chords mightn't change but it is a distinct chorus.

Gypsy doesn't.

Gypsy is in fact the song which first drew me to Fleetwood Mac to the point of obsession. It was the 2003 Live in Boston version without Christine. When I first got into pre-1998 performances on YouTube videos, well, I'm ashamed to say I say Chris in a 1987 video and thought that she was a drag queen. :p

:sorry:

Gypsy holds a special significance to this day for me, with the lyrical content in particular having meaning for this time in my life where I am always on the go, always travelling. I have moved house 3+ times since 2011.

I commute to university 4 hours (Return) every day. 1/6 of every day is travelling and I truly do feel like a "travelling gypsy" with no true home (except one very special place).

The guitars - bass and Lindsey's lead are just magic. "Lightning strikes, maybe once, maybe twice" vocals sung by Lindsey is just beautiful and tragic all at once. It feels like Stevie was hoping for a second Dreams, a second mega-seller Rumours record when this song was recorded in 1982. Though it was a success as a single, it definitely did not match Dreams or Landslide. Still, I wish more people would cover it and that it continues to stay special long into the future after the eventual demise of the surviving members of the Mac!