The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why the disdain for Mick? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=53245)

elle 02-11-2014 12:59 PM

apparently i feel differently than some others here. i enjoy meeting and observing interactions among people that interest me, and am curious to see how they'll behave. i don't generally tend to keep almost anybody on a pedestal (definitely not any rock stars), so i guess i cannot be too disappointed when meeting them. their music is a way to make our lives nicer. if we can influence that in some ways (yeah right ;) ), telling Mick at m&gs what we would like them to do, hey it's worth a try!

meeting Mick was definitely interesting. he talks and talks, and has some interesting stories to tell, when people ask him the right questions, or when he's in the mood. i don't see how whether or not he's bankrupt is of any concern to me. and i don't ask him (or care!) what he thinks of me. ;)

elle 02-11-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1120432)
I do a little local show out here in the Valley of Los Angeles. After the show people will come up and want to talk to me and you would not believe some of the stuff that comes out of their mouths. Especially because they've been drinking. I had one audience member start talking about music and then was telling me about his sex life. I can only imagine what kind of questions and conversations FMac members have. People are crazy!! lol

ha - i'd definitely want to meet you. :)

seriously though, i guess it would depend, but don't you generally enjoy some of those conversations? shows you that you are doing something right if all these people want to talk to you... or maybe something wrong if that's what they are telling you? :D

jbrownsjr 02-11-2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1120434)
ha - i'd definitely want to meet you. :)

seriously though, i guess it would depend, but don't you generally enjoy some of those conversations? shows you that you are doing something right if all these people want to talk to you... or maybe something wrong if that's what they are telling you? :D

I do enjoy them!! But it's only once a week and about 5-10 people out of 100.

I was just thinking that I would not want to be famous like Mick or Lindsey because it does get tiring to talk to people after a show and I want a hot dog or a martini!!!

I would love to meet you Elle. We could argue about FMAc all damn day!!

jbrownsjr 02-11-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1120433)
apparently i feel differently than some others here. i enjoy meeting and observing interactions among people that interest me, and am curious to see how they'll behave. i don't generally tend to keep almost anybody on a pedestal (definitely not any rock stars), so i guess i cannot be too disappointed when meeting them. their music is a way to make our lives nicer. if we can influence that in some ways (yeah right ;) ), telling Mick at m&gs what we would like them to do, hey it's worth a try!

meeting Mick was definitely interesting. he talks and talks, and has some interesting stories to tell, when people ask him the right questions, or when he's in the mood. i don't see how whether or not he's bankrupt is of any concern to me. and i don't ask him (or care!) what he thinks of me. ;)

I would love to meet the band. I could sit and talk to Christine McVie all day long. I'd probably hug her and get arrested.

elle 02-11-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1120436)
I do enjoy them!! But it's only once a week and about 5-10 people out of 100.

I was just thinking that I would not want to be famous like Mick or Lindsey because it does get tiring to talk to people after a show and I want a hot dog or a martini!!!

I would love to meet you Elle. We could argue about FMAc all damn day!!

we will one day, hopefully! :)

re having to talk to people after the shows, i understand that's what some entertainers routinely do, so i guess it depends. personally, that's why i like those prearranged paid for m&gs, as both Mick and Lindsey were doing. i don't find enjoyable hanging behind the venues yelling after some people passing by. m&gs are clear-cut - a part of a job for them, and structured for people who are interested in talking to them. it's part of the deal and doesn't take any of their, or your, personal time.

KarmaContestant 02-11-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1120288)
But really, that's nobody's business. We don't pay him to make good business decisions. We pay him to see him play drums.

Then he should keep his financial woes to himself - or ask Stevie to stop telling everyone that she has to put her solo career aside *again* so Mick can tour 'cause he needs the money.

Because I can say, for me, that's where the eye-rolling comes in. Mick can't manage his money, and everyone else (Stevie and/or Lindsey) has to stop what they're doing to bail him out, and it's been portrayed like that in interviews.

That's how it comes across in the media. Fleetwood Mac, since 1991, is only a cash machine that mobilizes when a certain someone needs money, because as a fan for the past 30 years, it's become crystal clear that they aren't doing it for the art.

That said, I have no real disdain for Mick - he is responsible for my exposure to one of the artists who has been a constant soundtrack to my life. But I am able to understand where the disdain comes from when expressed by others.

KarmaContestant 02-11-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 1120380)
But why is that anybody's business but his own (and maybe his family's)?

I'll say it again - Then he should keep his financial woes to himself - or ask Stevie to stop telling everyone that she has to put her solo career aside *again* so Mick can tour 'cause he needs the money.

BlueDenimLamp 02-11-2014 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarmaContestant (Post 1120442)
I'll say it again - Then he should keep his financial woes to himself - or ask Stevie to stop telling everyone that she has to put her solo career aside *again* so Mick can tour 'cause he needs the money.

This is one of the things I don't like about Mick...Stevie was nice enough to invite Mick to play on her record (IYD) and she even portrays him as a fairly charming guy in the IYD doc and how did he return the favor???While Stevie was doing her "IYD" thing Mick publicly complained about not working and stating that he feared that FM might never tour again...He even went so far as to accuse certain band members (Stevie) of not being loyal to the band...

michelej1 02-11-2014 06:52 PM

Some of the stuff Mick has done that I don't like has impacted me as a fan and consumer. It's not about whether he can afford handmade, italian red shoes for himself.

But all and all, he's done more good than bad and I hold him responsible for Christine's return. The relationship he maintains with each band member individually makes things happen for them as a group. Without him there, they wouldn't be reaching out to each other. I'm grateful to him for that.

But all in all, I don't think it matters whether fans disdain him or not. He's not losing any sleep at night over fan opinion.

Michle

elle 02-11-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1120453)
Some of the stuff Mick has done that I don't like has impacted me as a fan and consumer. It's not about whether he can afford handmade, italian red shoes for himself.

But all and all, he's done more good than bad and I hold him responsible for Christine's return. The relationship he maintains with each band member individually makes things happen for them as a group. Without him there, they wouldn't be reaching out to each other. I'm grateful to him for that.

But all in all, I don't think it matters whether fans disdain him or not. He's not losing any sleep at night over fan opinion.

i don't think anybody's worried whether Mick's losing any sleep over their opinions. some people are just wondering why are so many fans of this band quick to jump on Mick in the most - for a lack of a better word - disrespectful manner, and blame him for all kinds of stuff, and seemingly not acknowledging all the positives he brings in.

a fresh example from just a second ago in regards to him adding to other artists' opinion (that they were invited to provide) on some patent law revisions:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp (Post 1120460)
Mick Fleetwood??? What copyrights does he own???

michelej1 02-11-2014 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1120462)
i don't think anybody's worried whether Mick's losing any sleep over their opinions.

Well, good. Because once he (his ghostwriter) wrote his book (which was mostly cut and pasted from published magazine articles) I figured he wanted me to form an opinion of him. And I did.

Michele

jbrownsjr 02-11-2014 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1120453)

Michle

We are agreeing too much lately. Mick is the non-musical glue that holds these people together. Without him, this whole institution would have ended long ago. In heinsight, I give him huge kudos.

SteveMacD 02-11-2014 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp (Post 1120444)
This is one of the things I don't like about Mick...Stevie was nice enough to invite Mick to play on her record (IYD) and she even portrays him as a fairly charming guy in the IYD doc and how did he return the favor???While Stevie was doing her "IYD" thing Mick publicly complained about not working and stating that he feared that FM might never tour again...He even went so far as to accuse certain band members (Stevie) of not being loyal to the band...

Stevie verbally committed to doing a Fleetwood Mac tour and backed out to tour with Rod Stewart. The album had already bombed by that point. I think Mick's frustration is completely understandable. I'm sure John and Lindsey felt the exact same way Mick felt. I mean, Lindsey also expressed frustration with Stevie for not wanting to record another record. And frankly, Stevie's no saint. She pisses and moans about the band all the time, especially about Lindsey. What's her excuse?

SteveMacD 02-11-2014 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1120466)
Well, good. Because once he (his ghostwriter) wrote his book (which was mostly cut and pasted from published magazine articles) I figured he wanted me to form an opinion of him. And I did.

Heaven forbid the drummer for the band that gave us "Rumours" writes a tell-all autobiography. :rolleyes:

SteveMacD 02-11-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarmaContestant (Post 1120441)
Then he should keep his financial woes to himself - or ask Stevie to stop telling everyone that she has to put her solo career aside *again* so Mick can tour 'cause he needs the money.

Stevie's in a band. She verbally committed to that band and then pulled out. She was irresponsible to those she committed to. She complains enough about the band/Lindsey that she should be able to take it.

Quote:

Because I can say, for me, that's where the eye-rolling comes in. Mick can't manage his money, and everyone else (Stevie and/or Lindsey) has to stop what they're doing to bail him out, and it's been portrayed like that in interviews.
Maybe in 1987, but not not since. And, really, Fleetwood Mac bailed out Stevie and Lindsey more than once. They were nobodies going nowhere in 1974, and their careers had stalled by 1994. (Yeah, "Time" bombed, but at least they have the excuse of doing absolutely no promotion for it. What were Stevie's and Lindsey's excuses?) That's why Lindsey hired Mick to play drums on GOS. He knew that Mick would break up that version of Fleetwood Mac (which was already falling apart on its own) for a probable reunion of the classic line-up.

Quote:

That's how it comes across in the media. Fleetwood Mac, since 1991, is only a cash machine that mobilizes when a certain someone needs money, because as a fan for the past 30 years, it's become crystal clear that they aren't doing it for the art.
It's called being in the band. Mick doesn't get any significant royalty money. The only way he makes money on Fleetwood Mac is when the band tours. How hypocritical everyone is by stating "ooh, Mick needs bailed out again" when Stevie, Lindsey, and Christine all make money on Fleetwood Mac whether or not the band is active.