The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Name ONE song by Christine you really can't stand (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=42292)

David 11-25-2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 856438)
Yeah, Temporary One put me to sleep

I'm gonna slug you!

To find equivalent quality in the marriage of text & melodic line in the verses, one would have to go all the way back to "You Make Loving Fun."

Black_Moon 11-25-2009 11:26 AM

Sugar Daddy is the song I loathe the most by her. All of the other songs you mentioned by her, bar the ones I don't know (Hollywood, and I've never heard Temporary One :eek:) I absolutely adore. I'm not a big fan of her contributions to the epnomymous Fleetwood Mac album, although I find her to be the most consistent member of the band.

I for one love her songs on Heroes are Hard to Find though!

aleuzzi 11-25-2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 856468)
I'm gonna slug you!

To find equivalent quality in the marriage of text & melodic line in the verses, one would have to go all the way back to "You Make Loving Fun."

I'm with you on this, David. Temporary One is fast, fun, energetic. She and the band sound invigorated while performing it.

But then I also love Honey Hi and Hollywood (though admittedly the tinny keyboards in the latter are regrettable).

When I think of a Christine song I truly dislike, two come to mind: Skies the Limit (which is offensively generic) and Ricky (which thankfully never made it to Tango).

aleuzzi 11-25-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Moon (Post 856471)
Sugar Daddy is the song I loathe the most by her.

Sugar Daddy rules. And I will always defend it! En garde!

seekerj 11-25-2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HejiraNYC (Post 856283)
Actually I can think of a number of Christine songs that stunk up the joint:

"Prove Your Love"
"Bad Loser"
"Come a Little Closer"
"Mystified"
"When You Say"

I guess you can say that I'm not a particularly big fan of Heroes Are Hard to Find and its boom-chicka-wah-wah sound. Admittedly, 1974 was a horrible year for music, so HAHtF is pretty much an artifact of its time. In hindsight, you can see easily that Bob Welch and Christine were kind of running on fumes creatively at this point.

ROTFLMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This statement totally nails it!

I'm gonna be laughing all day!!!!

Thanks for posting that!

nicepace 11-25-2009 12:04 PM

Count me in the "Heroes is a GREAT album" camp. I just love it. I think Bob and Christine were clicking on all cylinders musically. It's different from what came before, it's fresh, it's exciting. I love Chris' songs on the album especially. I think she was maturing as a songwriter and musician.

In addition to the ones already mentioned, other great albums that came out in 1974 include 'Preservation 2' (Kinks), 'Dragonfly' (Jefferson Starship), 'Sheer Heart Attack' (Queen), and 'Hotcakes' (Carly Simon). However, I think discussion of whether other good music was being released that year is entirely irrelevant to whether 'Heroes' is any good.

As for what song by Christine I can't stand ... I haven't thought of one yet. Some of the ones that some folks have mentioned are among my favorites ... "Hollywood," "Temporary One," "Mystified," "Sugar Daddy"... I just love 'em.

seekerj 11-25-2009 12:06 PM

Warm Ways

(not horrible, just sooooo boring.... snooze, snooze)

And I don't know, would "You And I Part 2" be considered a Christine song (or a Lindsey song)? That has to be one of the most annoying pieces of dribble I've ever wasted my time listening to (right up there with "Rag Doll" by Aerosmith).

jbrownsjr 11-25-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 856468)
I'm gonna slug you!

What are you doing, Are you busy with your work?
Well I wish you were busy with mine

vs

I never did believe in the ways of magic
But I'm beginning to wonder why

HomerMcvie 11-25-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 856473)
Sugar Daddy rules. And I will always defend it! En garde!

I'll never understand the Sugar Daddy hate! Who cares if the lyrics are a little non-PC. The music is perfekt!

It's always been one of my top ten FM songs.

Street_Dreamer 11-25-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AncientQueen (Post 856251)
Mystified.

Technically Mystified is a Lindsey song. He wrote it, most if it anyway, Christine performed it. My choice would either be Sugar Daddy or Temporary One.

Matt

chiliD 11-25-2009 01:53 PM

The only song I really don't like by Christine (and it wasn't written by Christine, it was written by Danny Kirwan) is "When You Say". Even poor Christine couldn't save this turkey of a song.

HejiraNYC 11-25-2009 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 856496)
The only song I really don't like by Christine (and it wasn't written by Christine, it was written by Danny Kirwan) is "When You Say". Even poor Christine couldn't save this turkey of a song.

Finally, something we can agree upon! :nod:

jenniferuk 11-25-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 856496)

Good call--that gem gets my vote. I can't listen to it.

Dodfather 11-25-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekerj (Post 856478)
Warm Ways

(not horrible, just sooooo boring.... snooze, snooze)

And I don't know, would "You And I Part 2" be considered a Christine song (or a Lindsey song)? That has to be one of the most annoying pieces of dribble I've ever wasted my time listening to (right up there with "Rag Doll" by Aerosmith).

I'm with you on Warm Ways. That's my worst Chris song.

jbrownsjr 11-25-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 856490)
I'll never understand the Sugar Daddy hate! Who cares if the lyrics are a little non-PC. The music is perfekt!

It's always been one of my top ten FM songs.

HOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!