The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   "The Wild Heart" album discussion podcast (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59161)

aleuzzi 03-10-2021 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1265316)
Highwayman. Now I know for sure you are joking.

How Still My Love, E of 17, and Outside the Rain. That's it, the rest is filler.

I agree. HSML and E of 17, for sure (plus the title song and SDMHA) and that’s it. I’m not even convinced by OTR.

mitzo 03-10-2021 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1265337)
I agree. HSML and E of 17, for sure (plus the title song and SDMHA) and that’s it. I’m not even convinced by OTR.

SDMHA is far too Tom Petty and does not suit Stevie's voice. The title track could have been something but is ruined by awful instrumentation and arrangement.

HomerMcvie 03-10-2021 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1265338)
SDMHA is far too Tom Petty and does not suit Stevie's voice. The title track could have been something but is ruined by awful instrumentation and arrangement.

And yet some of us think it's great.

"Disgruntled, party of one!":woohoo:

David 03-10-2021 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1265338)
SDMHA is far too Tom Petty and does not suit Stevie's voice.

I still remember when Steve Simels, in his Stereo Review column, referred to this song as “the parts Tom Petty wisely left out of his great ‘Refugee.’ ”

Quote:

The title track could have been something but is ruined by awful instrumentation and arrangement.
I’ve always liked the lyric here because it seemed a lot more genuine than Stevie’s typical approach. I don’t think the song musically is awful, but it has the modern Nashville arrangement I usually steer clear of in other artists. It was the sort of modern country style that Albert Goldman put down in his review of Rumours, when he wrote that that album sounds like real mountain music from coal-mining country instead of like Glen Campbell and Kenny Rogers. Bella Donna is more Glen Campbell and Kenny Rogers. Not my thing.

michelej1 03-11-2021 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1265314)
You're just a ray of sunshine. :lol:

BD is her masterpiece to me, because it sounds like the Eagles are her backing band. BD is perfection! The Highwayman!

BD is not even as good of an album as TISL.

BD, Think About It, and The Highwayman are all snoozers. After the Glitter Fades is good, but with three such droning songs on the album, Glitter sounds like more of the same rather than the gem it was.

I like the other songs though, some of them are iconic and I appreciate the country mood.

michelej1 03-11-2021 01:55 AM

Maybe it’s the live segues that have melded the songs in my head, but I think of OTR, Edge and HSML as continuations of each other and I find the trio, different parts of the same story, with the adlibs Stevie has thrown in over the years, exciting and sultry. When I hear them through my speakers, I visualize what they’re like on stage (or what they have been like in her zenith) and the escalating energy and I love them.

mitzo 03-11-2021 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1265349)
BD is not even as good of an album as TISL.

BD, Think About It, and The Highwayman are all snoozers. After the Glitter Fades is good, but with three such droning songs on the album, Glitter sounds like more of the same rather than the gem it was.

I like the other songs though, some of them are iconic and I appreciate the country mood.

Totally agree about the three you call snoozers. Highwayman is one of her all time worst, and I am a Stevie ballad junkie.