The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Nominations for presenter—Stevie at the Hall of Fame (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58249)

DownOnRodeo 11-02-2018 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott (Post 1242991)
Stevie is so full of it these days that I wouldn't be surprised if she inducts herself.

:lol::lol: This is doubly funny/sad because I can just about imagine it.
I Can't Wait.

I just realized--it only figures that Stevie and her management have been engineering a HOF induction. Stevie loves HALLS.

I float through the halls of the hospitals

Well, then suddenly
There was no one left standing
In the hall

Well, I went searching for an answer
Up the stairs...and down the hall

So she walks slowly down the hall
There are many doors in the hallway

cbBen 11-03-2018 04:17 AM

Mick Fleetwood

sue 11-03-2018 05:06 PM

Bette Miller and Jimmy Iovine

cbBen 11-04-2018 03:42 AM

my prediction: Dave Grohl

Storms123 11-04-2018 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1243133)
Mick Fleetwood

I am guess she's going to be keeping her FM "family" very far away from this.

Feather Blade 11-04-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storms123 (Post 1243242)
I am guess she's going to be keeping her FM "family" very far away from this.

Do the inductees have any say over who does it? How does it work?

Storms123 11-04-2018 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather Blade (Post 1243247)

I'm not really sure TBH, but I assume if they call up and say "I want ..... to induct" perhaps they can influence a bit...lol

DownOnRodeo 11-05-2018 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather Blade (Post 1243247)

The artist's management would definitely be orchestrating it all behind the scenes.
Because it plays into brand image etc.

I note that Def Leppard and Stevie are with the same management group.

David 11-05-2018 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1243300)
The artist's management would definitely be orchestrating it all behind the scenes.
Because it plays into brand image etc.

Much as I've always liked Sheryl Crow, I thought she was kind of a lightweight in 1998 when she inducted Fleetwood (she grew in musical stature later with The Globe Sessions). Everything she said was really vapid; do you remember her talking about the trendy shag haircut? And she didn't mention the great blues-rock years of the band at all.

Then again, the Eagles were inducted that same year by Jimmy Buffett, so let's be thankful for small favors.

I'd have been thrilled in 1998 if REM had done the honors, or Smashing Pumpkins or Courtney Love or Jane's Addiction or the Verve or Tonic or Ben Folds Five. But Sheryl in 1998 was more like the Dave Matthews Band—hitmakers but very adult-contemporary, which just reinforced Fleetwood Mac's innate blandness. Even Matchbox 20 would have been a little more exciting than Sheryl in 1998. The Foo Fighters wouldn't have done it in 1998—they probably hated Mac the way the Heartbreakers hated Mac in 1977, before realizing (uh, d'uh) that it was a great band.

Speaking of all these big music stars in 1998, has anyone played their copy of the Rumours tribute from 1998 in the last dozen years or so? See how bad musical choices become camp? That's why you have to listen to critics and people with judgment instead of to Mick Fleetwood. Jon Pareles would never have given the green light to such a pukey album.

bwboy 12-15-2018 06:45 PM

Now that Stevie is definitely going to be inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I thought this thread should be bumped.

How does it work? Does the person who announces her nomination perform also? How many different people usually perform for the artist? Is Jimmy Iovine famous enough to announce her induction, or is it always a celebrity/musician?

cbBen 12-15-2018 06:55 PM

Others play the artist's material only if the artist himself does not perform. So Stevie may invite a guest to play with her, but she will be the main performer. It won't be a tribute to her as in the case, say, of Linda Ronstadt, who did not perform herself.

As Stevie said, she'll perform one to three songs. That's standard.

Jondalar 12-15-2018 07:06 PM

The ghost of Prince

SteveMacD 12-15-2018 07:25 PM

It’ll probably be someone she’s influenced, but I’d like to see Mick give the speech, like Paul did for John and Ringo.

luminol 12-15-2018 08:48 PM

My immediate thought was HAIM. They're young, hip, pop rock ladies that adore Stevie. They'd check all the right boxes for PR etc. Harry Styles also came to mind but honestly, they'd probably prefer HAIM given the historic occasion of a twice-elected woman to the hall... get three ladies who look up to her.

Or Don Henley. Or Iovine. :shrug:

Jondalar 12-15-2018 08:53 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong but you have to be inducted by a current member.

cbBen 12-15-2018 09:11 PM

No, Sheryl Crow indicted Fleetwood Mac and she's not a member. Eddie Vedder inducted REM and Neil Young before he was a member. Dave Grohl inducted Queen before he was a member.

My money is on Grohl to indict Stevie.

luminol 12-15-2018 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1246245)
Correct me if I’m wrong but you have to be inducted by a current member.

But didn't the Black Keys induct Steve Miller a few years ago? I remember because he was apparently an ass to them for no reason.

secondhandchain 12-15-2018 09:18 PM

Goat will get someone like Adam Levine.

luminol 12-17-2018 11:40 AM

Yes, Adam Levine is a great possibility. He had her as his "guest coach" or whatever they call it on The Voice a few years ago. He or HAIM seem like the best bets unless they go old school like Don Henley.

By the way, not that this has anything to do with Stevie, but here's the writeup on the Steve Miller / Black Keys fiasco a few years ago. What a grump!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...nsults-234363/

bombaysaffires 12-17-2018 02:59 PM

People, it will be Jimmy Iovine.

He's one of the heaviest hitters there is. That matters to her. A lot.

He was THE person she thanked onstage when she learned she'd won. She said, in her words, that HE was responsible for her solo career. That she owed it all to him. She has in fact said this before.

:sorry:

luminol 12-17-2018 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1246468)
People, it will be Jimmy Iovine.

He's one of the heaviest hitters there is. That matters to her. A lot.

He was THE person she thanked onstage when she learned she'd won. She said, in her words, that HE was responsible for her solo career. That she owed it all to him. She has in fact said this before.

:sorry:

Ok! It's fun to speculate.

I do think the young generation matters a LOT to her, too. Therefore the youngsters like HAIM and Harry Styles are her ticket to remaining relevant to the millennials. And that really matters to her, too. Even Adam Levine falls a bit into that category even though he's a bit older/established... her spot with him on The Voice a few years ago provided her with multiple nights of primetime tv airtime for a whole new chunk of youngsters. She enjoys being the rock icon these young people like to idolize.

(I'd go so far as to say that without the same next generation of supporters/fans/musicians sharing their limelights with her, she doesn't win this award. She hasn't won it purely on solo musical merits, even though she's released many albums and had decent hits... why aren't Tina Turner and Carole King in as performers, if that's the case? These youngsters have been critical to her remaining in the public eye and relevant and she knows it.)

:]

David 12-17-2018 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1246232)
It’ll probably be someone she’s influenced, but I’d like to see Mick give the speech, like Paul did for John and Ringo.

ZZZzzzzz. . . .

I'd rather see Iovine, Styles, Campbell+Tench, Sky Ferreira+Haim, Billy Corgan, Courtney Love (who's looking great these days), Grohl, Henley, Miley Cyrus, etc.

Or Flo Rida, Tiesto, Bruno Mars, DeJ Loaf, or Calvin Harris.

secondhandchain 12-17-2018 06:28 PM

She'll pick whoever the flavor of the month is. She loves to attach herself to what's hot. Vom.

Jondalar 12-17-2018 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondhandchain (Post 1246491)
She'll pick whoever the flavor of the month is. She loves to attach herself to what's hot. Vom.

Sad but true. Or the biggest name she can get. She’s as deep as a raindrop.

bwboy 12-17-2018 07:01 PM

Stevie has worked with a lot of people throughout her career, so there are a lot of real possibilities. Please feel free to add to this list:

Don Henley
Adam Levine
Haim
The Dixie Chicks
Sheryl Crow
Macy Gray
Bruce Hornsby
Kenny Loggins
Kenny G
Lana Del Rey
Jesse Valenzuela
Dave Stewart
Chris Isaak
Peter Frampton
Rod Stewart
Chrissie Hynde
Lady Antebellum

cbBen 12-17-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1246497)
Stevie has worked with a lot of people throughout her career, so there are a lot of real possibilities. Please feel free to add to this list:

Don Henley
Adam Levine
Haim
The Dixie Chicks
Sheryl Crow
Macy Gray
Bruce Hornsby
Kenny Loggins
Kenny G
Lana Del Rey
Jesse Valenzuela
Dave Stewart
Chris Isaak
Peter Frampton
Rod Stewart
Chrissie Hynde
Lady Antebellum

Dave Grohl (even wrote a song with him): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_City:_Real_to_Reel

bwboy 12-17-2018 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1246511)
Dave Grohl (even wrote a song with him): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_City:_Real_to_Reel

Good one! Also:
Jon Bon Jovi
Bret Michaels
David Crosby
Robin Zander

NurseDJackson 12-18-2018 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1246246)
No, Sheryl Crow indicted Fleetwood Mac and she's not a member. Eddie Vedder inducted REM and Neil Young before he was a member. Dave Grohl inducted Queen before he was a member.

My money is on Grohl to indict Stevie.

DISTRICT ATTORNEYS OF ROCK (It was just a typo but gave me the heartiest laugh in ages!!):laugh:

bwboy 12-18-2018 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luminol (Post 1246443)
Yes, Adam Levine is a great possibility. He had her as his "guest coach" or whatever they call it on The Voice a few years ago. He or HAIM seem like the best bets unless they go old school like Don Henley.

By the way, not that this has anything to do with Stevie, but here's the writeup on the Steve Miller / Black Keys fiasco a few years ago. What a grump!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...nsults-234363/

Thanks for posting that, luminol. Steve Miller was a real a$$hole! And the Black Keys really came across like unsung heroes. I also appreciated learning little behind the scenes tidbits, like the fact that the acts don't get paid for their participation.

bwboy 12-18-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NurseDJackson (Post 1246560)
DISTRICT ATTORNEYS OF ROCK (It was just a typo but gave me the heartiest laugh in ages!!):laugh:

That was funny!!! :]

cbBen 12-18-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1246580)
acts don't get paid for their participation.

Just the opposite. These ceremonies are fundraisers for the organization bestowing the awards, and recipients effectively have to pay to receive them. I concur with Miller's complaint.

luminol 12-18-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1246582)
Just the opposite. These ceremonies are fundraisers for the organization bestowing the awards, and recipients effectively have to pay to receive them. I concur with Miller's complaint.

Sure, I have no problem with him having complaints.... but he should not have made The Black Keys feel like crap for being there to induct him. Unacceptable, rude, self centered... all the grumpy things I’d heard about him through the years, actually validated. I always liked his music but it’s hard to listen to it since this... kind of like FM since April.

cbBen 12-18-2018 03:32 PM

Yes, that much I understand; I was speaking only to the content (if not the delivery) of his complaint about the Hall.

bwboy 12-18-2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1246582)

Respectfully, then if Steve Miller didn't want the honor, he shouldn't have paid for it LOL. But really, that guy from the Black Keys made a great point- how ironic that Miller called the HoF out for being a "boy's club" when he's had over 30 different men play in his band, and not one woman. And even if Miller had a valid complaint, why be so disrespectful to the Black Keys, who only wanted to honor him?

cbBen 12-18-2018 05:19 PM

I'm not condoning his treatment of the Black Keys, or even defending anything he said or did; only making the narrow point that I concur with his financial complaint about the Hall (not how he expressed it, not his gender bias allegation, and not his complaints about anyone or anything else).

annabellee 12-18-2018 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1246492)
Sad but true. Or the biggest name she can get. She’s as deep as a raindrop.

Be kinder. Raindrops are fascinating. https://physics.aps.org/story/v7/st14

Frankenstein 12-19-2018 01:34 AM

I think Jimmy Iovine would be the best choice.

Storms123 12-19-2018 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenstein (Post 1246623)
I think Jimmy Iovine would be the best choice.

Agreed, and I think she should keep FM away from this completely. Mick of course will not tolerate that. But this is about HER not FM

He's So Unusual 02-10-2019 07:34 AM

It won't be LB. He'd never go up on stage to give Stevie an award he doesn't stand a chance at winning himself. His ego is far too big and fragile.

mitzo 02-10-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by He's So Unusual (Post 1248657)
It won't be LB. He'd never go up on stage to give Stevie an award he doesn't stand a chance at winning himself. His ego is far too big and fragile.

Agreed 100%.