The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Present Band (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Stevie's Collaborations with Mike Campbell - Ranked (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57988)

jwd 06-30-2018 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts (Post 1231449)
Inspired by another thread: What is your opinion of Stevie's collaborations with Mike Campbell? I am not counting SDMHA because it is not a co-write.

Here's mine:

Love

1. Blue Denim - fantastic. I adore this song. One of my favorites of Stevie's.

2. Whole Lotta Trouble - A fun rocker. Great song!

3. Freedom - I think this is underrated. It's catchy.

Eh

4. For What It's Worth - the grammatical problem of this one annoys me no end and keeps me from enjoying it. I'm sorry. However, it has its good parts.

5. My Heart - OK. Boring in some parts.

6. Desert Angel - Tiresome and dreary in many parts. However, I don't think I hate it as much as everyone else, because it's not at the bottom for me. It has some nice lines.

7. Ghosts - Doesn't interest me. I usually skip it. Again, some nice lines here and there.

8. You Like Me - This one was released by the Williams Brothers but there's also an unreleased version of Stevie doing it. It's alright. Nothing special. Glad she didn't release it.

9. Greta - not bad, but not very interesting. Some questionable lyrical choices.

Dislike

10. Fire Burning - This song had potential but it was squandered with asinine lyrics. "Let me tell you about this fire in my house...except there is no fire! it's just an illusion!" MIND BLOWN!

Loathe

11. Kick It - This song makes no sense. It's like Stevie just stuck lyrics together. I'm sure they must have had some coherence in her head... but I can't follow the trail.

12. I Don't Care - This song grates on me. It annoys me. I can't stand it.

13. Imperial Hotel - HATE. SO. MUCH. Meandering....self-indulgent, half-baked lyrics... awful.

Special Question: Should she do any of these with Fleetwood Mac?

No.

I'll just say that Blue Denim is the best (which I do like quite a bit) of the Mike/Stevie collaborations, and the rest dabble in mediocrity, or worse. Doesn't give much hope to some fantastic new music from the two of them. Especially considering that they have faded quite a bit since their prime years.

gldstwmn 07-01-2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts (Post 1231881)
That's one of my favorites as well!

I didn't know this music was written by Campbell! Did Stevie mention that in an interview or something?

A user commented this on the above YouTube video:

"I think this is the demo she built around the Mike Campbell track without permission that Tom Petty freaked out over (and which eventually became Runaway Train). I know some have speculated that was Joan of Arc but I think this was the one."

That seems speculative. Is this what you're talking about? Or is there harder evidence?

It could very well be true!

Okay so the Runaway Trains demo is supposedly the Ooh My Love Tango in the Night working version we got on the deluxe/expanded Tango. You'll have to forgive me but my brain is like an overstuffed filing cabinet when it comes to Stevie/Mac stuff. It's there but I don't know where it came from. The same goes for Love and War. I'm pretty sure it's a Mike Campbell co-write but I can't definitively say.

Also it's the same but can I just say I love this? :laugh:

For context:

sodascouts 07-01-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gldstwmn (Post 1231905)
Okay so the Runaway Trains demo is supposedly the Ooh My Love Tango in the Night working version we got on the deluxe/expanded Tango. You'll have to forgive me but my brain is like an overstuffed filing cabinet when it comes to Stevie/Mac stuff. It's there but I don't know where it came from. The same goes for Love and War. I'm pretty sure it's a Mike Campbell co-write but I can't definitively say.

Also it's the same but can I just say I love this? :laugh:

Didn't know that about "Ooh My Love" working version either. Interesting!

As for the vid... it makes me think this song can give her a new answer to any questions about Lindsey's firing. "Nothing is fair in love and war!"

gldstwmn 07-04-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts (Post 1231933)
Didn't know that about "Ooh My Love" working version either. Interesting!

As for the vid... it makes me think this song can give her a new answer to any questions about Lindsey's firing. "Nothing is fair in love and war!"

Oh I'm sure he's in those lyrics! :laugh: We live in interesting times.

bombaysaffires 08-21-2018 12:37 AM

the problem on most of their collaborations is her lame lyrics, not his music. She wasn't writing music because she'd run out of ideas, or was doing too much coke, or whatever. She got lazy. In the early days she'd try to create her own music. Then she got too famous and lazy. So she slapped a lot of messy sloppy lyrics over his music. I wouldn't blame him for things like "take a moment and think for a minute for a moment for a minute" :laugh: