The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Present Band (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Fleetwood Mac to Debut New Lineup at iHeartRadio Music Festival - Sept 21 and 22 (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57965)

mitzo 06-13-2018 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamsunwind (Post 1230859)
Paper Doll sucks (imo) but Angel?? I love the vibe and production on Angel, her songs on Tusk were so perfectly produced. They had that trace of something 'different' that ran all throughout Tusk while still being classic Stevie. Her best collection of songs if you ask me.

Her Tusk songs are great but to me Angel is by far the weakest in terms of production, like they just gave up and hammered away at a Hammond organ with overpowering bass, although the vocal is powerful. To me the sound of Angel is a depressing preview of her early solo work. Good songs and vocals diminished by unimaginative production.

SteveMacD 06-13-2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1230852)
I'd rather hear Angel, Straight Back, That's Alright, No Questions Asked, even Paper Doll over Sweet Girl. Or Brown Eyes, As Long As You Follow, or Isn't It Midnight over Temporary One. Especially since both those songs are recorded for posterity on the Dance DVD.

I don’t want Stevie to butcher Angel (she doesn’t have the range to do it justice anymore), and I would take Sweet Girl over NQA or especially Paper Doll (grating song). I WOULD rather have That’s Alright or Straight Back, though.

I’ve heard live versions of Brown Eyes and Isn’t It Midnight, so that’s a wash, and Temporary One would fill a different place in the set. I would rather have ALAYF, though.

sodascouts 06-13-2018 11:28 PM

So much Paper Doll hate! Am I the only one that likes it?

dreamsunwind 06-14-2018 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1230862)
Her Tusk songs are great but to me Angel is by far the weakest in terms of production, like they just gave up and hammered away at a Hammond organ with overpowering bass, although the vocal is powerful. To me the sound of Angel is a depressing preview of her early solo work. Good songs and vocals diminished by unimaginative production.

I see what you mean tbh although I do still like the song, I think it's just the fun vibe of it. I like Stevie's first solo album a lot and maybe half of her second but even then I also have always thought the production just didn't have that something special that was in her FM work. It was still good but there was a missing quality. If you listen to all of Bella Donna and then listen to Gypsy recorded just one year later, that becomes so obvious. What's in Gypsy is nowhere on Bella Donna or Wild Heart. And her later solo albums had terrible production. I know some people like them but for me, yikes. Her songwriting style and voice had changed yes and that 80s production was a big thing yes, but even on Tango in the Night, WISYA which is overall a questionable song that many people think is horrible (although I like it) still has gorgeous music. Can't really say the same about anything on RAL or TOSOTM.

bwboy 06-14-2018 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts (Post 1230877)

Wellll... I don't hate it at all, and it's definitely an unusual song. I definitely don't skip it, because for me it's almost like a train wreck. The jangly music, pointed lyrics, and not bad vocal by Stevie definitely keeps my interest, I have to admit.

We all have our little favorites. I think Book of Love is one of Lindsey's best songs, but it seems to fly beneath the radar here.

BigAl84 06-14-2018 08:49 AM

As Stevie would say about her Street Angel hair...I have to say, I kinda like it!

Total Paper Doll fanboy here...

dreamsunwind 06-14-2018 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1230894)
Wellll... I don't hate it at all, and it's definitely an unusual song. I definitely don't skip it, because for me it's almost like a train wreck. The jangly music, pointed lyrics, and not bad vocal by Stevie definitely keeps my interest, I have to admit.

We all have our little favorites. I think Book of Love is one of Lindsey's best songs, but it seems to fly beneath the radar here.

I looooooooove Book of Love. So, so good. The melody and his vocal are just perfect. In general I think his Mirage songs (sans Empire State which is terrible) are better than people give them credit for.

DreamIsOver 06-14-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamsunwind (Post 1230923)
I looooooooove Book of Love. So, so good. The melody and his vocal are just perfect. In general I think his Mirage songs (sans Empire State which is terrible) are better than people give them credit for.

I agree Book Of Love is great and the rest of Lindsey's Mirage songs are good (including Empire State IMO).

sodascouts 06-14-2018 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1230898)
As Stevie would say about her Street Angel hair...I have to say, I kinda like it!

Plus "Yesterday I was fascinated by somebody else" and "You like a man with a future; you like a woman with a past" are references to Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray. I love literary Stevie!

I love the line "You prefer to be just a little bit in and out of agony."

The way that clever Wilde line "Yesterday I was fascinated by somebody else" keeps popping up as a thematic and musical thread, and the way Stevie overlaps it, is cool.

Plus it's got a great beat!

AnthonyMI 06-15-2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts (Post 1230925)
Plus "Yesterday I was fascinated by somebody else" and "You like a man with a future; you like a woman with a past" are references to Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray. I love literary Stevie!

The way that clever Wilde line "Yesterday I was fascinated by somebody else" keeps popping up as a thematic and musical thread, and the way Stevie overlaps it, is cool.

It’s a great song with a HORRID vocal. I can SMELL Cigarettes listening to her on that track. That time period when that was recorded was the lowest point of her Post Rock A Little, Pre-Post-Klonapin Quit Smokin voice

BigAl84 06-15-2018 01:06 PM

The menthol adds character, what's wrong with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pryderi 06-16-2018 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1230872)
I don’t want Stevie to butcher Angel (she doesn’t have the range to do it justice anymore), and I would take Sweet Girl over NQA or especially Paper Doll (grating song). I WOULD rather have That’s Alright or Straight Back, though.

I’ve heard live versions of Brown Eyes and Isn’t It Midnight, so that’s a wash, and Temporary One would fill a different place in the set. I would rather have ALAYF, though.

I believe she can do it justice even if its toned down a bit. I loved Marianne Faithfull's simple straightforward version.

bwboy 06-16-2018 07:42 AM

Quote:

You almost make me like the song! Now, imagine Stevie singing this song live while doing her Gold Dust Woman dance, affectionately(?) called her Crack Head Dance here.

Sugar Mouse 06-16-2018 10:50 AM

Neil Finn playing with Mick Fleetwood, Liam Finn, and Elroy Finn.

Neil & Liam Finn

Tap tap...

MoonSister75 06-17-2018 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts (Post 1230877)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1230898)

Another Paper Doll fan here. What's not to like about it? (although I know it's down to personal taste). It's a great, melodic uplifting tune, with a catchy hook and lovely harmonies. Just enjoyed listening to it a couple of times after not hearing it for a few years, and it's hard to sit still, it's a bouncy song :)

bwboy 08-26-2018 10:54 AM

Less than a month away... any guesses as to which songs they'll perform?

DownOnRodeo 08-27-2018 09:32 PM

"Off the wall" alright...

Quote:

I had no idea about this provenance to the lyrics of Paper Doll.

I'd been under the impression that Rick Vito co-wrote the lyrics--not Oscar Wilde. :laugh:

The song is now slightly redeemed for me!

vivfox 09-14-2018 02:05 PM

The CW Network is going to be airing this concert on October 7 & 8. So after we get the usual audience recorded youtube videos, we will have a pro shot video of the same event(hopefully if it is a good performance)to look forward to.

Hawkeye 09-14-2018 04:59 PM

Does anyone know how long of a set each band gets?

bwboy 09-14-2018 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye (Post 1236652)
Does anyone know how long of a set each band gets?

When I've seen the shows before, they usually show each act perform 3-4 songs, usually grouped together, not spread out. However, the lesser known artists might only get 2 songs.

Hawkeye 09-14-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1236655)
When I've seen the shows before, they usually show each act perform 3-4 songs, usually grouped together, not spread out. However, the lesser known artists might only get 2 songs.

Is there a difference between what they actually play and what gets played on TV tho? Like for their Hyde park performance, TV shows 3 songs but they play a full 23 song set that you can see on YouTube. I’m assuming with the number of bands it won’t be 20 songs, but maybe we can get a glimpse of 8-10 songs from this?

KenshiMaster16 09-19-2018 11:08 PM

Its usually like 5-6 songs for bigger artists. So we are likely to get The Chain and Gypsy again along with maybe Go Your Own Way, Dont Stop, Dreams and something else.

elle 09-20-2018 09:19 PM

https://lasvegasweekly.com/ae/music/...iscovery-zone/

iHeart’s Daytime Stage offers a discovery zone of rising talent
Greta Van Fleet

Thu, Sep 20, 2018 (2 a.m.)

When you have a music festival calendar as blessedly abundant as Las Vegas’, you’re bound to have some overlap. That bears out every second-to-last weekend in September, with Life is Beautiful taking over the streets of Downtown Las Vegas and the iHeartRadio Music Festival holding court on the Strip. The focal point of the latter event, now in its eighth year, takes place September 21 and 22 in T-Mobile Arena, featuring artist-of-the-moment Childish Gambino, Vegas-shy crooner Sam Smith, the human musical-chair game that is Fleetwood Mac, and home-bred acts Imagine Dragons and Panic! At the Disco. But the Daytime Stage complement, held Saturday at Las Vegas Festival Grounds, could be the more interesting iHeartRadio event. Here’s why:

1. It’s time for live music to return to outdoor Strip spots again. If music fans have second-guessed their attendance at urban music festivals after the October 1 shooting, that’s understandable. The Daytime Stage event—formerly held at the now-closed Las Vegas Village, also the site of Route 91 Harvest Festival—will still be exposed to its surroundings. But so was May’s Punk Rock Bowling weekender and many other open-air events that have transpired at various metropolitan locales in the past 11 months without incident. The Strip remains a magical backdrop for concerts and music festivals. With security more beefed up than ever, let’s not abdicate our unique infrastructure—or sacrifice our right to celebratory gatherings.

2. New venue, who dis? Las Vegas Festival Grounds has seen about as much action as an awkward teenager. Rock in Rio christened the Circus Circus-adjacent space in 2015, ACM’s Party for a Cause followed in 2016 and, corporate events aside, that’s it—which is a shame. Besides its unique location, the 35-acre venue boasts a spacious layout, turf and a tree-laden island for weary festivalgoers, and permanent restroom facilities. It deserves to be cleared of its cobwebs.

3. The discovery zone. While the big-sis event down the street at T-Mobile will focus on the hit-heavy mini-sets by superstars, the Daytime Stage’s primary purpose is highlighting songs you’re likely not sick of hearing yet, from artists you can see cheaply before they break big. And if you still crave familiar sounds, fret not—fresh-faced Spotify favorites like Logic, Dua Lipa, 5 Seconds of Summer and Lil Uzi Vert top the 17-act bill.

4. The Vegas debut of Greta Van Fleet. Hopes are high for this Michigan quartet, which has been riding the buzz train thanks to its unabashed re-creation of 1970s rock and reputation for incendiary live shows. With its debut long-player Anthem of the Peaceful Army out next month, Greta Van Fleet’s first-ever Vegas appearance aims to be momentous.

5. Every color of the pop rainbow. From the electro-R&B of Bazzi and the throwback soul of Leon Bridges to the unique rock/rap hybridization of Grandson and the country-flavored comedy of Bobby Bones and the Raging Idiots, everyone’s pop preferences are covered—at a venue that thankfully isn’t.

Daytime Stage at the iHeartRadio Music Festival September 22, 11 a.m., $39, Las Vegas Festival Grounds, 702-632-7589

DownOnRodeo 09-20-2018 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Las Vegas Weekly
[url]the human musical-chair game that is Fleetwood Mac,

It'll be musical chairs alright--the band starts playing, and everyone leaves their seats!:lol::lol:

gldstwmn 09-20-2018 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1237232)
It'll be musical chairs alright--the band starts playing, and everyone leaves their seats!:lol::lol:

This festival is all about the casuals. I don't think anyone is even playing a full set?

Storms123 09-20-2018 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gldstwmn (Post 1237241)
This festival is all about the casuals. I don't think anyone is even playing a full set?

If Ellen is any indication, FM can't play a full set yet.

gldstwmn 09-20-2018 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1234786)
Less than a month away... any guesses as to which songs they'll perform?

I think it's a short set. I'll play:
The Chain
Dreams
You Make Lovin' Fun
Rhiannon
Oh Well
Everywhere
Lanslide
Say You LoveMe
Stop Draggin' My Heart Around
Go Your Own Way
Don't Stop

gldstwmn 09-20-2018 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storms123 (Post 1237242)
If Ellen is any indication, FM can't play a full set yet.

What I meant was they will be playing a shorter set than they usually do. :cool: I think all the bands are doing it for this festival.

gldstwmn 09-20-2018 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenshiMaster16 (Post 1237175)
Its usually like 5-6 songs for bigger artists. So we are likely to get The Chain and Gypsy again along with maybe Go Your Own Way, Dont Stop, Dreams and something else.

I have a feeling Gypsy won't make the final cut.

gldstwmn 09-21-2018 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gldstwmn (Post 1237245)
I have a feeling Gypsy won't make the final cut.

So today I found out that Stevie is doing Gypsy in episode 5 of American Horror Story so I think it's going to be a definite and probably why she did it on Ellen.

onlynow 09-21-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gldstwmn (Post 1237270)
So today I found out that Stevie is doung Gypsy in episode 5 of American Horror Story so I think it's going to be a definite and probably why she did it on Ellen.

Where did u learn she's doing Gypsy on episode 5? Thx!

DownOnRodeo 09-21-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gldstwmn (Post 1237270)
So today I found out that Stevie is doung Gypsy in episode 5 of American Horror Story so I think it's going to be a definite and probably why she did it on Ellen.

The horror continues!

gldstwmn 09-21-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1237273)
The horror continues!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

sasja 09-21-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1237273)
The horror continues!

:lol::lol::lol:
DownOnRodeo, the Crown-Prince of Snark!

gldstwmn 09-21-2018 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onlynow (Post 1237272)
Where did u learn she's doing Gypsy on episode 5? Thx!

I will find out where I saw that and let you know. It might have been in the DirecTV guide?

gldstwmn 09-21-2018 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gldstwmn (Post 1237243)
I think it's a short set. I'll play:
The Chain
Dreams
You Make Lovin' Fun
Rhiannon
Oh Well
Everywhere
Lanslide
Say You LoveMe
Go Your Own Way
Don't Stop

Im going to make a few last minute changes to my guesses:
The Chain
Say You Love Me
Dreams
Little Lies
Oh Well
Rhiannon
Don't Dream It's Over
You Make Lovin' Fun
Landslide
Go Your Own Way
Dont Stop

Sugar Mouse 09-21-2018 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gldstwmn (Post 1237295)
Im going to make a few last minute changes to my guesses:
The Chain
Say You Love Me
Dreams
Little Lies
Oh Well
Rhiannon
Don't Dream It's Over
You Make Lovin' Fun
Landslide
Go Your Own Way
Dont Stop

Sounds about right. I'm hoping for a Danny song. Perhaps "Dust". Can't wait to see them tonight!

bwboy 09-21-2018 05:26 PM

Can't wait to hear what they play and see clips! The festival is 3 days, but does anyone know which day they'll actually perform?

Keith 09-21-2018 06:10 PM

Tonight

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1237302)
Can't wait to hear what they play and see clips! The festival is 3 days, but does anyone know which day they'll actually perform?

According to Billboard, you can watch it live starting tonight:

iHeartRadio Music Festival

And it looks like Fleetwood Mac is playing tonight. I'm watching..

Nick 09-21-2018 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1237302)

It's 2 days and I was wondering the same thing. Do they perform on both nights or just one?

https://www.iheart.com/music-festival/