The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   New Christine interview - and a new compilation on the way (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59504)

elle 03-27-2022 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sue (Post 1273599)
It would be really nice, to see her in her home town of Birmingham.
There are plenty of intimate venues in Brum, that would suit her.

I don’t think she would pull in huge crowds…..in The UK I don’t think any of them would.
(Well maybe Stevie)

huge crowds no, but Lindsey is touring theater size venues there, and his european dates are either sold our or close to. and Christine i believe is better known than Lindsey there, especially if she has some marketing with her compilation album which would remind people of how many of her huge hits they know.

yeah, i'm thinking you have a better chance to see her solo than we do in the US, but here's hoping!

aleuzzi 03-27-2022 02:51 PM

Oh—and yes, I hope she doesn’t tour. I have confidence she could still play the hell out of a piano, but vocally she cannot manage a live show, especially on her own. Maybe a movie-doc where the best live takes are selected from an intimate environment.

sue 03-27-2022 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1273600)
huge crowds no, but Lindsey is touring theater size venues there, and his european dates are either sold our or close to. and Christine i believe is better known than Lindsey there, especially if she has some marketing with her compilation album which would remind people of how many of her huge hits they know.

yeah, i'm thinking you have a better chance to see her solo than we do in the US, but here's hoping!

I hope so, too.
I hope she does loads of tv and radio, pushing the Album.
…..she is very popular on radio in the UK.
(But then, BBC Radio 2 plays a lot of Fmac)

HomerMcvie 03-27-2022 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1273590)
unfortunately, it's a smaller percentage of the population, people know it's FM song and call Nicks a Songbird, since she's the face. i've seen some music "critics" wrote articles like that too, apparently thinking SN wrote Songbird. same as most people think SN wrote and sings GYOW, you know it's her "top hat" signature song. :shrug:

so taking all that into account it is more than appropriate that Christine takes Songbird back where it belongs, and owns it once and for all. :]

i've recently seen a discussion on FB with some random guy being completely oblivious about the fact that Christine wrote double the amount of FM hits Stevie and Lindsey did and claiming that's just an "opinion" and asking to name the hits.

Well Stevie IS Fleetwood Mac. :mad: Do you have a vomit bucket I can borrow?

The general public is stupid, and so are those so called music critics.

Macfan4life 03-27-2022 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1273603)
Well Stevie IS Fleetwood Mac. :mad: Do you have a vomit bucket I can borrow?

The general public is stupid, and so are those so called music critics.

She's not Fleetwood Mac. She is the lead singer.

DownOnRodeo 03-27-2022 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1273585)
I’d love to see Warm Ways, Brown Eyes, Over and Over, and Game of Pretend.

Oh my goodness, Over and Over and Brown Eyes with the orchestral treatment. Bring it on!

aleuzzi 03-27-2022 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1273605)
Oh my goodness, Over and Over and Brown Eyes with the orchestral treatment. Bring it on!

I’m hoping (without much expectation) for “Never Forget” and “Prove Your Love”

BLY 03-27-2022 06:54 PM

This really can be epic. I’m sure (I assume) the original vocals will be used and the treatment of any of her “hits” will be a amazing . I hope we get a new gem.

jbrownsjr 03-27-2022 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1273607)
This really can be epic. I’m sure (I assume) the original vocals will be used and the treatment of any of her “hits” will be a amazing . I hope we get a new gem.

I still love her recorded voice. I can't wait. Something to look forward to.

SteveMacD 03-27-2022 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1273607)

I assume it’s new vocals, otherwise, wouldn’t it be credited to Fleetwood Mac?

jbrownsjr 03-27-2022 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1273610)

What if she does Red Sun or Forgiveness? ;)

aleuzzi 03-27-2022 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1273611)

Forgiveness—unlikely, but please!

aleuzzi 03-27-2022 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1273610)

I am hoping for this.

SteveMacD 03-27-2022 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1273611)

I’m imagining Stevie’s reaction, considering the whole “Silver Springs” debacle in 1991, if the original Fleetwood Mac recordings are used.

DownOnRodeo 03-27-2022 10:01 PM

I think As Long As You Follow is a shoe-in. It has that languid, swelling feel of an orchestral piece. Just replace the lush backing vocals with strings.

TBH I'm not as much a fan of the funky, high-tempo songs being turned into orchestral arrangements. It feels a bit too Andre Rieu. No doubt they'll do You Make Lovin Fun and SYLM and Don't Stop, maybe Spare Me A Little, complete with their trademark funky rhythms, but I would much prefer a whole album of Eva Cassidy-style slow tempo fare. YMLF would be great in the slow-tempo style of the Jewel cover.

Tracks from the Welch era seems ripe for inclusion, since many of the originals already had strings. Fingers crossed for "Why."

vivfox 03-27-2022 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1273554)
Yes, LOL Gly Johns who is revered in the industry but only Stevie does not like because of her songs. He got the blame for Street Angel.

Ann and Nancy Wilson didn't like working with him either. Ann said that he called Nancy a 'hippie."
The fact that they were so offended by that makes me think they are over sensitive women.

Concerning the Street Angel fiasco, Glyn was a great producer for her. But Stevie never accepts the blame for a bad record. It's always somebody else's fault.

HomerMcvie 03-28-2022 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1273617)
Ann and Nancy Wilson didn't like working with him either. Ann said that he called Nancy a 'hippie."
The fact that they were so offended by that makes me think they are over sensitive women.

Concerning the Street Angel fiasco, Glyn was a great producer for her. But Stevie never accepts the blame for a bad record. It's always somebody else's fault.

The Eagles didn't like working with him either. He was a control freak, and didn't want them partying in the studio, and wanted no input from the band, concerning his mix. He and Frey didn't get along at all.

Nothing has ever been Stevie's fault. Just axe her.

Macfan4life 03-28-2022 03:59 AM

Dont flame me but I think our fandom is going to be hurt just like with the set lists. I bet its going to be a very commercial CD of mostly her hit singles. Good grief YES it would be a dream to hear Brown Eyes with strings, etc. I bet Songbird is going to be the least commercial song on the album.
Gosh I hope I am wrong but its not marketed to us just like the Fleetwood Mac set lists are not marketed at us (on this board) either. I was reading some of these posts and I would be floored if such songs were discovered and put on a CD. Chris has so many hits and I bet even some of her hits wont make the album let alone her deeper best tracks. Now if anything should be played with strings its Oh Daddy :) I bet we wont even get hits like Love In Store and Think About Me :(

bwboy 03-28-2022 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1273617)

I know next to nothing about Glyn Johns, but Street Angel is a horrible album, and he can take as much blame as Stevie for how bad it is. There’s plenty of blame for everyone, I say.

bwboy 03-28-2022 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1273619)
Dont flame me but I think our fandom is going to be hurt just like with the set lists. I bet its going to be a very commercial CD of mostly her hit singles. Good grief YES it would be a dream to hear Brown Eyes with strings, etc. I bet Songbird is going to be the least commercial song on the album. Now if anything should be played with strings its Oh Daddy :) I bet we wont even get hits like Love In Store and Think About Me :(

Sadly, you could be right about this. It’s just really hard to say. After all, surely they (and I’m not sure who ‘they’ is) will realize that this album will appeal to huge Fleetwood Mac fans, so it makes sense they’ll include the big hits. Songs like Love in Store and Think About Me were not big hits, so while I like those songs a lot, I would be surprised if they’re included. Still, FM had performed Think About Me recently live, so maybe.

I didn’t include As Long As You Follow because I wasn’t sure the song would be a good choice for orchestra, considering how prominent Rick Vito’s guitar playing is. DownOnRodeo convinced me otherwise, though. I also think Christine likes Brown Eyes, it’s one of the few Tusk songs she’s performed more than one tour, and I’m fascinated to hear it with an orchestra. Oh Daddy is a possibility because it’s on Rumours, which makes it well known.

I was thrilled to see that the Christine McVie forum on the Ledge had more viewers than any other forum here, including the Rumours lineup. It’s awesome to see Christine get some love here, usually her forum is pretty quiet.

Macfan4life 03-28-2022 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1273620)
I know next to nothing about Glyn Johns, but Street Angel is a horrible album, and he can take as much blame as Stevie for how bad it is. There’s plenty of blame for everyone, I say.

Hate the game, not the player. IMHO Street Angel is a good album or at least half of it. Lots of it was recorded before rehab and its a miracle it happened. I love that she embraced a country rock theme compared to a pop record. There is good music on the album. If you strip all the vocals and just listen to the music tracks, they are pretty good. But if the songs are crap, there are limits to how a good producer can polish a turd. Someday take another listen to the album. Half of it is pretty good. I love how uncommercial it is. The music industry had changed and just because it did not sell many copies does not make it a bad album. IMHO its ten times better than Trouble In Shangri-la.

jbrownsjr 03-28-2022 07:46 AM

Really curious to see if this has new vocals. I'm thrilled to see her doing anything music wise.

elle 03-28-2022 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1273623)
Really curious to see if this has new vocals. I'm thrilled to see her doing anything music wise.

i'm thinking it will, because she sold her catalog in all different possible ways in the last 20+ years. so to own some of it she needs newly recorded versions. kinda like "Taylor's version" albums.

so i fully expect it will mostly be her huge hits, and then some surprises. like we've heard Wish You Were Here on Buckvie tour, and i thought she sang it beautifully on some dates. and they can manipulate her voice in the studio to sound good.

jbrownsjr 03-28-2022 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1273624)
i'm thinking it will, because she sold her catalog in all different possible ways in the last 20+ years. so to own some of it she needs newly recorded versions. kinda like "Taylor's version" albums.

so i fully expect it will mostly be her huge hits, and then some surprises. like we've heard Wish You Were Here on Buckvie tour, and i thought she sang it beautifully on some dates. and they can manipulate her voice in the studio to sound good.

I would really love it if she did a special much like Peter Green's tribute.
Special guests: Lindsey, Mick, Stevie, Eric Clapton etc

vivfox 03-28-2022 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1273621)
I was thrilled to see that the Christine McVie forum on the Ledge had more viewers than any other forum here, including the Rumours lineup. It’s awesome to see Christine get some love here, usually her forum is pretty quiet.

That's because we actually have a recorded current interview with her and it's good. The rest of the forums are filled with our conflicting opinions and rehashed articles.

jbrownsjr 03-28-2022 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1273626)
That's because we actually have a recorded current interview with her and it's good. The rest of the forums are filled with our conflicting opinions and rehashed articles.

So much truth in that. Christine is warmth and beauty in the middle of some very ugly actions and behavior. I've always said, "I can't imagine why she needed 15 years vacation."

Macfan4life 03-28-2022 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1273625)
I would really love it if she did a special much like Peter Green's tribute.
Special guests: Lindsey, Mick, Stevie, Eric Clapton etc

No Stevie. Can we get the girl from the Ho Ho's as a stand by instead? You know the wild one from the Red Rocks show :)
The real Stevie would be a distraction with all the chiffon heads packing the show just to see her. It would take the oxygen out of Christine's show.|
Todd Sharpe YES
Steve Winwood YES
Lindsey YES
Eric Clapton YES

I would keep John and Mick away so Stevie's feelings don't get hurt that she was the only one not invited.

jbrownsjr 03-28-2022 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1273628)
No Stevie. Can we get the girl from the Ho Ho's as a stand by instead? You know the wild one from the Red Rocks show :)
The real Stevie would be a distraction with all the chiffon heads packing the show just to see her. It would take the oxygen out of Christine's show.|
Todd Sharpe YES
Steve Winwood YES
Lindsey YES
Eric Clapton YES

I would keep John and Mick away so Stevie's feelings don't get hurt that she was the only one not invited.

I disagree. I think one or two songs where Stevie was on vocally (LIttle Lies, ALAYF).

I think it would enhance to the spirit of what she's trying to do.

Macfan4life 03-28-2022 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1273629)
I disagree. I think one or two songs where Stevie was on vocally (LIttle Lies, ALAYF).

I think it would enhance to the spirit of what she's trying to do.

I will eat my shoe live on Facebook if ALAYF is ever performed by Chris anywhere. Not going to happen.

I disagree. Stevie's appearance would be a distraction and totally take away from what Chris is trying to accomplish. 87.4% of Mac concert goers are there only to see Stevie. The performance is for Chris and her music. Stevie and her gang would suck all the oxygen out of the room. Its about the music, not the cult of personality.
For the love of God, if Chris ever performed solo anywhere let us relish and soak up the moment, not ruin it :(

Chris and Lindsey handled Little Lies quite well on their tour without the witch. Her vocals are not needed. Lindsey proved that during the Tango sessions :lol:

On Lindsey's current tour, would it not be a distraction if he invited Stevie on his stage to perform a few songs? Of course it would. Please let us enjoy the music and Christine the same way.

jbrownsjr 03-28-2022 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1273631)
I will eat my shoe live on Facebook if ALAYF is ever performed by Chris anywhere. Not going to happen.

I disagree. Stevie's appearance would be a distraction and totally take away from what Chris is trying to accomplish. 87.4% of Mac concert goers are there only to see Stevie. The performance is for Chris and her music. Stevie and her gang would suck all the oxygen out of the room. Its about the music, not the cult of personality.
For the love of God, if Chris ever performed solo anywhere let us relish and soak up the moment, not ruin it :(

Chris and Lindsey handled Little Lies quite well on their tour without the witch. Her vocals are not needed. Lindsey proved that during the Tango sessions :lol:

On Lindsey's current tour, would it not be a distraction if he invited Stevie on his stage to perform a few songs? Of course it would. Please let us enjoy the music and Christine the same way.

Again, I disagree. And I would enjoy it either way. Especially in the spirit of what I think she's going for, in this case.

I just hope the arrangements are not intrumentals or original vocals. And I have a nagging feeling that's going to be the case. (Thanks a lot Tony!!! ) :)

Macfan4life 03-29-2022 08:43 AM

Picture it...…
A small intimate theater with Christine front and center with special guests who worked on her solo album play her hits.

OR
Special guest Stevie Nicks. Plays a much larger venue because of chiffon heads. The crowd goes wild when Stevie takes the stage and her performance gets the lion share of the applause. People throw stuffed animals and flowers on stage for Stevie. She does 3 songs with Chris on stage and leaves. Part of the audience bolts from the theater after Stevie's exit.

I prefer option 1.

jbrownsjr 03-29-2022 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1273644)
Picture it...…
A small intimate theater with Christine front and center with special guests who worked on her solo album play her hits.

OR
Special guest Stevie Nicks. Plays a much larger venue because of chiffon heads. The crowd goes wild when Stevie takes the stage and her performance gets the lion share of the applause. People throw stuffed animals and flowers on stage for Stevie. She does 3 songs with Chris on stage and leaves. Part of the audience bolts from the theater after Stevie's exit.

I prefer option 1.

Well, for me I'm not concerned about the fans, I'm more concerned about the show and her history. (Which like it or not, Stevie is a HUGE part of Christine's history.)

Nice London arena with orchestra. Christine in the middle with grand piano. Special guests: Mick Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks, Steve Winwood, Eric Clapton, Lindsey Buckingham and more.

For me it's about the show and honoring her musical career. Not really caring about the fans who show up. I respect your opinion of chiffonheads, I just disagree on what we would like to see. (It's ok to argue about Christine, just don't argue about Stevie or Lindsey. It's not allowed on this board. ;) )

And my billing is just a dream, just a dream just a dream knowing nothing ever changes even in the back of my mind.

bwboy 03-29-2022 11:12 AM

Quote:

Picture it...…

OR
Special guest Stevie Nicks. Plays a much larger venue because of chiffon heads. The crowd goes wild when Stevie takes the stage and her performance gets the lion share of the applause. People throw stuffed animals and flowers on stage for restimate the timpact of Stevie fans Stevie. She does 3 songs with Chris on stage and leaves. Part of the audience bolts from the theater after Stevie's exit.

I prefer option 1.

It’s a moot point anyway because if Christine does tour, it will no doubt be a limited engagement, and Stevie Nicks isn’t going to tour with Christine McVie, so your ‘worst case scenario’ wouldn’t happen. Which is good. But if you’re talking a one night event, kind of like the Peter Green tribute concert, then I would like Stevie there, along with Lindsey and Billy and various other folks who have been a part of Christine’s musical journey.

bwboy 03-29-2022 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1273645)
Well, for me I'm not concerned about the fans, I'm more concerned about the show and her history. (Which like it or not, Stevie is a HUGE part of Christine's history.)

Nice London arena with orchestra. Christine in the middle with grand piano. Special guests: Mick Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks, Steve Winwood, Eric Clapton, Lindsey Buckingham and more.

For me it's about the show and honoring her musical career. Not really caring about the fans who show up. I respect your opinion of chiffonheads, I just disagree on what we would like to see. (It's ok to argue about Christine, just don't argue about Stevie or Lindsey. It's not allowed on this board. ;) )

And my billing is just a dream, just a dream just a dream knowing nothing ever changes even in the back of my mind.

How about Billy Burnette? I know he was, in the picture, not a huge player in her career, but he did perform with Christine years before he joined FM. Besides, it would be the only opportunity we’d have to hear Love Shines and/or Heart of Stone. Now that’s a dream!

I love your list of special guests. Maybe the woman from Paramore, too, just to add a little youth to the event. She sang Everywhere live, so she must be a fan.

elle 03-29-2022 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1273645)

i cannot believe you are advocating this while saying you care about Christine.

elle 03-29-2022 12:44 PM

Quote:

Picture it...…

OR

I prefer option 1.

cannot agree more. this is about Christine taking her name and her significance in FM back. not about handing it even more to someone else.

that said, maybe we should check with fans who were at Lindsey's Soundstage show. because Stevie was a special guest there, and that seems pretty obvious was because of Lindsey's insecurity as a solo act at the time, after almost 15 year gap of not doing anything solo. maybe Christine is just as insecure. however i really don't wish that for her for her possibly last ever event or tour.

jbrownsjr 03-29-2022 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1273648)
i cannot believe you are advocating this while saying you care about Christine.

It was part of her history, like it, don't like it. But, having the guests that were there with her during her journey is appropriate in my opinion. Do I like what Stevie has turned into? Hell no, but she is a part of Christine's career. As is: Lindsey, Mick, John, Billy, Clapton, Winwood, Sharp, Ferone, etc etc. They should honor her by participating if she had a one off show.

Her Fleetwood Mac hits especially Lindsey and Stevie. I have no problem with any of them guesting for a one off. I didn't say they would tour with her.

And yes BBoy Billy would certainly be welcome in my "mind's eye fantasy."

Macfan4life 03-29-2022 02:15 PM

It may be part of her history but her presence would ruin the show. No one disputes she was part of a fantastic legacy. That has nothing to do with a potential solo concert by Chris. A solo concert by Christine McVie is the rarest bottle of wine in the world. Why would you want to eat McDonalds with it? Savor it. Let it be the entire focus to the last drop. This is not 1984. This is the end. Let Chris have her night.

To let Stevie suck all the oxygen out of such a treasure and rare show is nothing short of scandalous. I bet even Stevie would feel uncomfortable about it. Chris and Stevie never wrote songs or music together like Lindsey, Billy, Todd, etc. They did nothing creatively together. Stevie only provided a few back up vocals when they weren't editing her out of songs like Dont Stop, Think About Me and Hold Me :eek:
Let the creative ones share the stage. There is no room for cow bell in any of Chris's songs :lol:

jbrownsjr 03-29-2022 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1273653)
It may be part of her history but her presence would ruin the show. No one disputes she was part of a fantastic legacy. That has nothing to do with a potential solo concert by Chris. A solo concert by Christine McVie is the rarest bottle of wine in the world. Why would you want to eat McDonalds with it? Savor it. Let it be the entire focus to the last drop. This is not 1984. This is the end. Let Chris have her night.

To let Stevie suck all the oxygen out of such a treasure and rare show is nothing short of scandalous. I bet even Stevie would feel uncomfortable about it. Chris and Stevie never wrote songs or music together like Lindsey, Billy, Todd, etc. They did nothing creatively together. Stevie only provided a few back up vocals when they weren't editing her out of songs like Dont Stop, Think About Me and Hold Me :eek:
Let the creative ones share the stage. There is no room for cow bell in any of Chris's songs :lol:

Again, I talking about special guests for one song. Cow bell could be used for So Excited.

HomerMcvie 03-29-2022 03:21 PM

Let her and Lindsey do BuckVie II.

F*ck FM. Let em stick the old goat where the sun don't shine...:laugh::wavey: