The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What are your unpopular Stevie opinions (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=25770)

StreetAngel86 03-03-2006 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlueLamp
I was thinking about this after reading this thread...I would love to see Stevie do a rock album and I think Street Angel is the closest she's come to it. For a lot of the songs, she drops the gypsy/fairy/trapped in castles stuff and just rocks out. There is still some of the traditional Stevie-ness to it (street angels, Greta's movie star views), but she's singing about real things for the most part. Which (in my opinion) is why some people dislike it.

wow. good point! I never really thought about that. But I think that's precisely why i LIKE it. When I was a naive fan just getting her albums i always wondered why people said her music was rock and roll.........coz i thought it was anything but rock. But SA is the only CD i put on when i'm in a bad mood or want to hype myself up coz most of it sounds kick ass LOUD. I shake the walls with how loud i have my stereo.

You can't really rock out to Jane and Rose Garden but 2 songs can be overlooked. I HATE Unconditional Love though. Only song on the CD i can't stand. i really love Inspiration & God's Garden too and they seem to fit into that category with the other 2 songs. But otherwise, I totally agree, very much a rock album. Moreso than RAL......which is probably my 2nd fave album but i detest I Sing For the Things & HAEWAFY..........Love Is Like a River & Mirror Mirror would have been wicked **** on that CD!

Quote:

Pure conjecture on my part, but I think Stevie dislikes it because of the unpleasantness during the making of the album. She's too close to look at it objectively and say, "hey, these are a decent bunch of songs".
i think that is exactly why she doesn't like it. and consequently i think the ONLY reason 'fans' don't like is because of that and they have been too heavily influenced by Stevie's opinion of her own work. Like i know a LOT of ppl who say TISL is her best album...so does Stevie. But IS it? Some of the original SA versions are better than those on the album ditto with TISL so i can't imagine what problems Stevie had with them...........especially Jane WOOHOO!!

I actually gave Stevie a letter yesterday and basically it was all about how Street Angel is the best song ever and it's her best album :lol: and that I hoped she didn't still feel ****ty about it...coz that depresses me {i didn't write that lol} but I don't like to think that she thinks she has something out in her music catalogue that she thinks everyone thinks is **** just coz it didn't sell very well and she didn't like where she was at when it was released. Then i said she needs to sing SA live and i can officially die :shocked: :thumbsup:

another reason i think people might not like the album is because there seems to be a lot more songs on it that she didn't write. What the hell does that really matter.....she CHOSE them

and RTTG was an SA song. I'm glad it wasn't on the album tho coz i LOVE the SYW version...PROBABLY coz it WAS an SA song. but wotever ;)

TheBlueLamp 03-03-2006 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StreetAngel86
But SA is the only CD i put on when i'm in a bad mood or want to hype myself up coz most of it sounds kick ass LOUD. I shake the walls with how loud i have my stereo.

It's my favourite album to play when I'm in a bad mood too.

Quote:

You can't really rock out to Jane and Rose Garden but 2 songs can be overlooked. I HATE Unconditional Love though. Only song on the CD i can't stand. i really love Inspiration & God's Garden too and they seem to fit into that category with the other 2 songs. But otherwise, I totally agree, very much a rock album. Moreso than RAL......which is probably my 2nd fave album but i detest I Sing For the Things & HAEWAFY..........Love Is Like a River & Mirror Mirror would have been wicked **** on that CD!

Funnily enough I don't mind Unconditional Love (though the demo's better) but I hate Rose Garden. Something about it just irks me. And I dislike HAEWAFY on RAL. Stand alone song, it's ok...but it just ruins the flow of the album for me. Hooray! Another person who loves Mirror Mirror! I thought I was the only one!

Quote:

I actually gave Stevie a letter yesterday and basically it was all about how Street Angel is the best song ever and it's her best album :lol: and that I hoped she didn't still feel ****ty about it...coz that depresses me {i didn't write that lol} but I don't like to think that she thinks she has something out in her music catalogue that she thinks everyone thinks is **** just coz it didn't sell very well and she didn't like where she was at when it was released. Then i said she needs to sing SA live and i can officially die :shocked: :thumbsup:

That's another thing that annoys me about Stevie. She seems to judge her stuff based on sales. I honestly don't think Stevie could've released anything in 94 that would've sold millions. The times were just changing musically. Oh, and I can die too once she sings Street Angel, so long as it's in the same set as Rock A Little (Go Ahead Lily) :thumbsup:

StevieRox2 03-03-2006 10:33 AM

1) I love watching the coked out Stevie - would've loved to have hung around with her then, I think she was alot of fun back then

2) I love the wavy, curly hair - HATE this straight stuff, I think it makes her look older

3) I think she and Mick are seen so much together as of late because they still have a thing for each other and would love to "be together" now but can't because he's married - he was always back stage with her during SYW after the shows - he will always be the love of her life

4) I think she still loves Lindsey but isn't in love with him, I think that ended when he screwed up during The Dance

5) I don't like the shoulder pads/bustier outfits

6) I too think she doesn't understand what "hard work" is compared to the average person, we don't have personal assistants to do everything for us, etc.

7) I think TISL would've been better without Sheryl's influence, some of the songs I just don't like AT ALL, don't think it was her best work yet, in fact I wish she'd write more like BellaDonna and WH, RAL, etc.; although loved SYW

8) She's had some kind of minor work done face-wise, she looks just too incredible!

9) When she asked at one of the SYW concerts for the people to quit smoking at the front because the smoke was bothering her, it was because she wanted a smoke so bad herself

10) Karen has too much power over Stevie and Stevie needs to think and act for herself - tell Karen to take a hike most of the time

11) still smokes a little weed now and then

12) she really knows what her songs are about but won't tell, EVER - they're a secret

13) she really doesn't want to have a serious relationship with a man finally, no matter what she says because she likes her freedom

this is an awesome thread!

DashingDan 03-03-2006 10:33 AM

Real fur is the only kind of fur that she would ever be caught wearing.

The alternative-orifice (non-nostril) myth is not entirely untrue.

She is embarrassed for some of woman who try and cop her style when attending her concerts. She cringes at their home-colored, badly-cut, out-of-style hair, cheap outfits and capes with spider web adornments bought online, and crappy Payless boots with 2 inch heels. These people are not fabulous, but they fill the seats (and boy, the FILL them).

Her assistant scares the hell out of me.

BlackWidow 03-03-2006 10:35 AM

Quote:

wow. good point! I never really thought about that. But I think that's precisely why i LIKE it. When I was a naive fan just getting her albums i always wondered why people said her music was rock and roll.........coz i thought it was anything but rock. But SA is the only CD i put on when i'm in a bad mood or want to hype myself up coz most of it sounds kick ass LOUD. I shake the walls with how loud i have my stereo.

i think that is exactly why she doesn't like it. and consequently i think the ONLY reason 'fans' don't like is because of that and they have been too heavily influenced by Stevie's opinion of her own work. Like i know a LOT of ppl who say TISL is her best album...so does Stevie. But IS it? Some of the original SA versions are better than those on the album ditto with TISL so i can't imagine what problems Stevie had with them...........especially Jane WOOHOO!!

another reason i think people might not like the album is because there seems to be a lot more songs on it that she didn't write. What the hell does that really matter.....she CHOSE them

and RTTG was an SA song. I'm glad it wasn't on the album tho coz i LOVE the

SYW version...PROBABLY coz it WAS an SA song. but wotever ;)

So you like Street Angel or not??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :wavey:
http://www.nicksfix.com/sn0013.jpg

TheBlueLamp 03-03-2006 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieRox2
4) I think she still loves Lindsey but isn't in love with him, I think that ended when he screwed up during The Dance

Just curious...what did he screw up on The Dance?

cliffdweller 03-03-2006 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackWidow
HMMM..

#7 My favorite era is anything Pre Rock A Little.

#12 If I hear her say "we had NO IDEA drugs were dangerous back then"...one more time..I AM GOING TO SCREAM!!! LOL!!!

#13 The Reeboks are just silly and need to go!

#16 Is afraid to do another solo project as her sales have dropped with every release. She equates that as failure.

I think these are popularly held opinions :shrug:

eclipse 03-03-2006 10:50 AM

Ok this is long but worth reading-I think

Ok, some of my unpopular Stevie "things" Please remember that I am older than most of you and I remember when she truely started out, with that in mind...
- I don't buy the "I was a sweet girl and had never drank before FM", -I do buy that Christine taught her how to drink- English style- snifters of brandy and some lovely wines...
-Oh yeah...the coke deal...C'mon, even if everyone was doing it-somewhere in your mind you HAD to know it would come to no good end-
Same as cigarette's-same as the "life in the fast lane, sex and parties", same as the kloponin, same as the clothes and furniture that you shop for compulsively.....etc. etc.
-Stevie, my sweet you have an addictive personality-and you do EVERYTHING in your life to an extreme.. (I know, cuz I do too) :)
-Another unpopular opinion that I have is not that she didn't have children because of her love of music and her "art and craft" (the whole, I wouldn't have given myself totally to a child or children...please )
I think it is more along the lines of when she was in her 30's going through so much drama, and turmoil, ( I give the woman credit-she did have some very difficult times emotionally to struggle through), she realized during those phases of her life---that , you know what ?
I am really all about me, (The Stevie Nicks/Rock and Roll Priestess ,the charachter she plays) and I want to be remembered for that. (I am not saying this in a nasty or disparaging way-I just think this is how she felt) I do not want to be remembered for being Stephanie Buckingham or Fleetwood, Anderson, or Iovine, or Walsh or...whatever, __________fill in the blank.

I don't have the time/patience/desire to have children-simple as that, but I feel she needs to make it seem more of a selflless act as opposed to a selfish one. She makes it sound like it has been such a sacrifice..that bugs me.

-There are some songs that make me think"-What the hell was she thinking when she made this?" and others that I can listen to all day long.
Lastly, let me say that besides watching the Dance version of Silver Springs,where the emotions are just flying right out of her eyes and body movement- The love and anger are so apparent, I am always in awe of that performance.
- I feel her most emotional and heart felt song is "When I see You Again" I know 8 out of 10 people hate this song!
Everyone needs to listen to that song more closely...It is hauntingly sad ....(her voice is shot at this pont too, but that doesn't matter-either does the way too, too many repeats of "whatsamatter baby"matter - What matters is that she is so vunerable, afraid and desperate, so frightened and so raw...
Remember, this song was written while she was at Betty Ford, thinking that when she came out maybe she would be a different person, lose her creative side, not be able to cope without being high, that Lindsey wouldn't be her best friend anymore~~that a part of her was going to disappear...what would her whole world be like?
She opens up on that song more than anyother and it bothers me that people dismiss it because she is so hoarse, and pleading.., you are missing the point
-I love that she sings "When I see you again" and Lindsey's response at the end of the song is "If I see you again" Plus his acoustic guitar at the end is also hauntingly faint...
( I also read somewhere that she tricked him into the vocals on that song, not realizing he was the only one singing back to her, but when it was finished the band agreed that is how it should stay-
Just the two of them---- Again and again,over and over...

Enough of my rambling-I hope someone here sees the same Stevie Nicks that I think, she wants us all to see

Always the curious/opinionated~~
~~eclipse

cliffdweller 03-03-2006 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
My other unpopular opinion is that Stevie isn't intelligent

Based on whose standards?

Oh, and to the poster who said that they think Stevie has a learning disorder: Stevie didn't have enough of one not to get into college and tough it out a few semesters, so I'd say if she does in fact have a learning disorder it is negligible. And not being able to read music after all this time isn't really a good example, I mean, how do we know that she doesn't at least have an elementary knowledge anyway? She hasn't ever really gone into detail. I think maybe when she says she doesn't know how to read music it's twofold: 1.) she's no expert so she generalizes and 2.) she does this as a way of boosting herself up a bit, like, look, I wrote all these wonderful songs and I don't even know how to read music, aren't I awesome?" And yes, I'd say she is.

Even if she DOESN'T know how to read ANY music, that still doesn't mean she has a learning disorder. Learning music, like learning any code, language, or notation system takes time, interest and much hours of study. Maybe Stevie just didn't have a burning desire to master reading music, or didn't have the need :shrug:. She's done alright thus far without it.

JazmenFlowers 03-03-2006 10:56 AM

I love When I See You Again.

I love Jane.

I love all of Stevie's BTM songs.

I love Street Angel.

I love the Street Angel cover artwork.

The Frankenboks don't really bother me either.

StreetAngel86 03-03-2006 11:00 AM

Quote:

It's my favourite album to play when I'm in a bad mood too.

were we separated at birth?
i'm originally from Perth lol

Quote:

Funnily enough I don't mind Unconditional Love (though the demo's better) but I hate Rose Garden. Something about it just irks me. And I dislike HAEWAFY on RAL. Stand alone song, it's ok...but it just ruins the flow of the album for me. Hooray! Another person who loves Mirror Mirror! I thought I was the only one!
ooooh AMEN!! i barely BARELY like it live. i will not listen to it on the CD tho. can it even BEGIN to compete with Sister Honey :shocked: The main reason I love RAL so much is coz No Spoken Word is on it hehehe save the best for NEARLY last :lol:

Quote:

That's another thing that annoys me about Stevie. She seems to judge her stuff based on sales. I honestly don't think Stevie could've released anything in 94 that would've sold millions. The times were just changing musically. Oh, and I can die too once she sings Street Angel, so long as it's in the same set as Rock A Little (Go Ahead Lily)
that is SO funny
i signed my letter ROCK A LITTLE :lol:
for my graduation i decided to get SA tattooed on my wrist
i was going to have one word on each wrist
but then i thought about it and decided one wrist would be RAL & one would say SA........how weird is that

u rock!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackWidow
So you like Street Angel or not??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :wavey:
http://www.nicksfix.com/sn0013.jpg

er.......
i may be a little um
passionate

:lol:

Quote:

yes. see i have this theory too.
but i still reckon things went down on SYW
i assume *those* talks were resolving much of The Dance ****
but i think the way that happened, pretty much cemented they will NEVER publicly be together ever again. but that doesn't mean they don't have sleep overs while on the road :shocked:

TheBlueLamp 03-03-2006 11:07 AM

Quote:

were we separated at birth?
i'm originally from Perth lol

Ok now I'm worried...I was thinking we must be twins or something after reading some of your comments :lol:

Quote:

ooooh AMEN!! i barely BARELY like it live. i will not listen to it on the CD tho. can it even BEGIN to compete with Sister Honey :shocked: The man reason I love RAL so much is coz No Spoken Word is on it hehehe save the best for NEARLY last :lol:

Yup, separated at birth all right! No Spoken Word is awesome. And Sister Honey? Where do I even begin! :lol:

DashingDan 03-03-2006 11:07 AM

She didn't practice effective birth control methods on purpose.

StreetAngel86 03-03-2006 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipse

- I feel her most emotional and heart felt song is "When I see You Again" I know 8 out of 10 people hate this song!
Everyone needs to listen to that song more closely...It is hauntingly sad ....(her voice is shot at this pont too, but that doesn't matter-either does the way too, too many repeats of "whatsamatter baby"matter - What matters is that she is so vunerable, afraid and desperate, so frightened and so raw...
Remember, this song was written while she was at Betty Ford, thinking that when she came out maybe she would be a different person, lose her creative side, not be able to cope without being high, that Lindsey wouldn't be her best friend anymore~~that a part of her was going to disappear...what would her whole world be like?
She opens up on that song more than anyother and it bothers me that people dismiss it because she is so hoarse, and pleading.., you are missing the point
-I love that she sings "When I see you again" and Lindsey's response at the end of the song is "If I see you again" Plus his acoustic guitar at the end is also hauntingly faint...
( I also read somewhere that she tricked him into the vocals on that song, not realizing he was the only one singing back to her, but when it was finished the band agreed that is how it should stay-

YOU ROCK GIRLFRIEND
finally someone who sees what i see.
do you know what really makes me sad about this song....i mean aside from just thinking about it and what was going on with her that she wrote it :(

but that it meant so much for her to have Lindsey sing on it
because it was her song to him.
i'll say Lindsey was a prick
but i don't think Stevie was exactly faultless either.
she went to change her life..how was that going to affect him.
i really don't think she knew for a loooooooong time he was pulling out of the tour and leaving either or it was up in the air for so long that this is about that too.

Quote:

you're going to get 101 different answers to this
but i would say that would be Lindsey asking Stevie to marry him
Her turning him down and sending him back to the mother of his son!

StreetAngel86 03-03-2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DashingDan
She didn't practice effective birth control methods on purpose.

clearly.
or else i wouldn't be here

:laugh: :wavey:

TheBlueLamp 03-03-2006 11:17 AM

Quote:

:eek: I've never heard this one before!

StevieRox2 03-03-2006 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=yes. see i have this theory too.
but i still reckon things went down on SYW
i assume *those* talks were resolving much of The Dance ****
but i think the way that happened, pretty much cemented they will NEVER publicly be together ever again. but that doesn't mean they don't have sleep overs while on the road :shocked:[/QUOTE]

My thoughts EXACTLY!! The pic of her and Linds sitting on the floor talking says it all! I also think there's something to why she quit singing Silver Springs on SYW, I believe the last time was at the Atlanta show, right after baby #3 was born - Stella. Some say it's because it became vocally difficult for her - yeah, right.

TheBlueLamp 03-03-2006 11:22 AM

Quote:

I feel her most emotional and heart felt song is "When I see You Again" I know 8 out of 10 people hate this song!

Her hoarseness and pleading is what makes the song perfect I think. It makes the song more 'real'. It sounds like she's dying inside as she sings it. Why would you (in the general sense) want her to be singing in a 'pretty' voice?

I think your dissection of this song is spot on :thumbsup:

StevieRox2 03-03-2006 11:24 AM

Quote:

Some think that Stevie & Linds were getting together during The Dance and then wella - Kristin comes up preggers - and I think that Stevie sent him packing, what a jerk - sleeping with another woman at the same time as her and then she becomes preggers - so much for them getting back together! I think that pissed her off tremendously.

TheBlueLamp 03-03-2006 11:29 AM

Quote:

Some think that Stevie & Linds were getting together during The Dance and then wella - Kristin comes up preggers - and I think that Stevie sent him packing, what a jerk - sleeping with another woman at the same time as her and then she becomes preggers - so much for them getting back together! I think that pissed her off tremendously.

:shocked: If that's true then wow...

Boots 03-03-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

These are all theories, right? I mean, is there any certifiable back up or proof that this is all true? Or is this just speculation and possible wishful thinking on the part of Buckingham Nicks romantics? (I...wholeheartedly...being one of them. I love those two together.)

Sahara 03-03-2006 11:34 AM

Okay, here goes:

- I loved OSOTM and Street Angel. I'm not sure which I love most. I think both are similar in that they each have a couple of drop-dead incredible songs, while they also have several which are on the whole forgettable.
- Mirage sucked.
- Yes, the Tango hair was awesome.
- No, the RAL hair was not. ;) Just kidding, it was fairly cool.
- The present day Rhiannon is the best.
- I despise Leather and Lace. Just a teency bit less than I despise Mirage.
- Next to Stevie Sheryl Crow sounds shrill and dreadful. I don't like to hear Fall From Grace destroyed by that duet.
- I don't believe anybody could possibly look so good at that age without having surgery.
- Then agian, maybe I'm wrong. I'm still considering that one.
- That biting-the-bottom-lip thing she did annoys the HELL out of me. Seriously, you have no idea.
- Her voice in the late 70s irritates me enormously.
- I therefore dislike most of the studio versions of the songs on Rumours.

And I really want to hear more about this marriage proposal thing. :xoxo:

StreetAngel86 03-03-2006 11:36 AM

Quote:

:eek: I've never heard this one before!

oops......maybe that wasn't public information :o

:D

Quote:

My thoughts EXACTLY!! The pic of her and Linds sitting on the floor talking says it all! I also think there's something to why she quit singing Silver Springs on SYW, I believe the last time was at the Atlanta show, right after baby #3 was born - Stella. Some say it's because it became vocally difficult for her - yeah, right.

I think that is the widely accepted version of events :D
vocal trouble my @ss!

have you heard the stuff about how she changed the lyrics of BC around the time K got pregnant? coincidence :shrug:

Quote:

man i'd kick his @ss.
but there is a theory that they supposedly only got together
AFTER Kristen was pregnant :nod: that is pretty #$&@ed up
i don't know if i believe that but either way
Stevie sent him home:p

cliffdweller 03-03-2006 11:40 AM

Quote:

:rolleyes: I just love urban legends.

StreetAngel86 03-03-2006 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahara
- Her voice in the late 70s irritates me enormously.
- I therefore dislike most of the studio versions of the songs on Rumours.

that reminds me. i didn't specifically mention it
but i HATE Rumours
i remember buying it coz we DIDN'T have the record :(
and i wanted to know what everyone kept making such a big deal about.
but i was not impressed.

i don't mind the songs live. but off the album, i can't stand them
especially Stevie. I hate her 70s voice too.

TheBlueLamp 03-03-2006 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahara
Okay, here goes:

- Mirage sucked.

:shocked: Are you talking Mirage as a whole or Stevie's contributions? I love all three of her Mirage songs.

sasja 03-03-2006 11:46 AM

Addendum to my post on page one of this thread :p

4. Stevie and Lindsey were in love in the early seventies but haven't been for over thirty years. Fans are the only ones that haven't moved on.

~joins the federal witness protection program~

Sasja

eclipse 03-03-2006 11:46 AM

There are some thoughtful and well thought out posts

Thanks to all that read my post and Got it!
After I posted it I checked to see if anyone responded and was disapointed that the posts were about her hairstyle, or stage outfit ---C'mom, it was all not about the friviouslous stuff, and I was discouraged that not one "Got the seriousness of my thoughts" Then I checked back and was delighted to see that my words were not in vain.

So thanks Street Angel and Blue Lamp for responding with seriousness and understanding my heartfelt thoughts on the Stevie we all know al love- regardless of reebooks, or shawls or hair...she is just so much deeper than all of the images she can evoke. I'm happy you see it too :)
~~eclipse~~

StreetAngel86 03-03-2006 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliffdweller
:rolleyes: I just love urban legends.

then why was..and why does she still wear the engagement ring?
Quote:

Originally Posted by sasja
Addendum to my post on page one of this thread :p

4. Stevie and Lindsey were in love in the early seventies but haven't been for over thirty years. Fans are the only ones that haven't moved on.

~joins the federal witness protection program~

Sasja

yeah u better!
or Liddy is going to come after you with his guitar :lol:

David 03-03-2006 12:19 PM

Quote:

that reminds me. i didn't specifically mention it
but i HATE Rumours i remember buying it coz we DIDN'T have the record :(
and i wanted to know what everyone kept making such a big deal about.
but i was not impressed.

i don't mind the songs live. but off the album, i can't stand them
especially Stevie. I hate her 70s voice too.

I ... er ... think you & Sahara won this round!

StreetAngel86 03-03-2006 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
I ... er ... think you & Sahara won this round!

wot we win? :thumbsup:

SapphireSister 03-03-2006 12:47 PM

Quote:

Thanks to all that read my post and Got it!
After I posted it I checked to see if anyone responded and was disapointed that the posts were about her hairstyle, or stage outfit ---C'mom, it was all not about the friviouslous stuff, and I was discouraged that not one "Got the seriousness of my thoughts" Then I checked back and was delighted to see that my words were not in vain.

So thanks Street Angel and Blue Lamp for responding with seriousness and understanding my heartfelt thoughts on the Stevie we all know al love- regardless of reebooks, or shawls or hair...she is just so much deeper than all of the images she can evoke. I'm happy you see it too :)
~~eclipse~~

I totally got your post and couldn't agree with you more about WISYA. That song means more to me then you know and I adore it for all the reasons you stated and I think a lot of people feel that way, they just don't speak up. Only the ones who despise it do.

Sahara 03-03-2006 12:59 PM

Quote:

wot we win? :thumbsup:

Money?!

And for the record, I love WISYA too. The bit where Lindsey comes in at the end tears me to pieces.

JWS 03-03-2006 01:03 PM

Quote:

Ok, some of my unpopular Stevie "things" Please remember that I am older than most of you and I remember when she truely started out, with that in mind...
- I don't buy the "I was a sweet girl and had never drank before FM", -I do buy that Christine taught her how to drink- English style- snifters of brandy and some lovely wines...
-Oh yeah...the coke deal...C'mon, even if everyone was doing it-somewhere in your mind you HAD to know it would come to no good end-
Same as cigarette's-same as the "life in the fast lane, sex and parties", same as the kloponin, same as the clothes and furniture that you shop for compulsively.....etc. etc.
-Stevie, my sweet you have an addictive personality-and you do EVERYTHING in your life to an extreme.. (I know, cuz I do too) :)
-Another unpopular opinion that I have is not that she didn't have children because of her love of music and her "art and craft" (the whole, I wouldn't have given myself totally to a child or children...please )
I think it is more along the lines of when she was in her 30's going through so much drama, and turmoil, ( I give the woman credit-she did have some very difficult times emotionally to struggle through), she realized during those phases of her life---that , you know what ?
I am really all about me, (The Stevie Nicks/Rock and Roll Priestess ,the charachter she plays) and I want to be remembered for that. (I am not saying this in a nasty or disparaging way-I just think this is how she felt) I do not want to be remembered for being Stephanie Buckingham or Fleetwood, Anderson, or Iovine, or Walsh or...whatever, __________fill in the blank.

I don't have the time/patience/desire to have children-simple as that, but I feel she needs to make it seem more of a selflless act as opposed to a selfish one. She makes it sound like it has been such a sacrifice..that bugs me.

-There are some songs that make me think"-What the hell was she thinking when she made this?" and others that I can listen to all day long.
Lastly, let me say that besides watching the Dance version of Silver Springs,where the emotions are just flying right out of her eyes and body movement- The love and anger are so apparent, I am always in awe of that performance.

Enough of my rambling-I hope someone here sees the same Stevie Nicks that I think, she wants us all to see

Always the curious/opinionated~~
~~eclipse

But what's your real opinion of Stevie? lol Seriously, I'm near your age as well and I know the 1970's era Stevie. I agree with most of your comments. Quite the party girl in the old days and destined to go down in flames like Joplin. She has said so herself. We're all sure glad it didn't end that way.

DashingDan 03-03-2006 01:03 PM

Chris Nicks' resentment of the way he was treated as a child, versus the way his precious and talented sister was treated, played a part in his ability sit back and watch his sister, as an adult, completely fall apart and reach death's door on two seperate occaisions, while he was on her payroll.

JWS 03-03-2006 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliffdweller
Based on whose standards?

Oh, and to the poster who said that they think Stevie has a learning disorder: Stevie didn't have enough of one not to get into college and tough it out a few semesters, so I'd say if she does in fact have a learning disorder it is negligible. And not being able to read music after all this time isn't really a good example, I mean, how do we know that she doesn't at least have an elementary knowledge anyway? She hasn't ever really gone into detail. I think maybe when she says she doesn't know how to read music it's twofold: 1.) she's no expert so she generalizes and 2.) she does this as a way of boosting herself up a bit, like, look, I wrote all these wonderful songs and I don't even know how to read music, aren't I awesome?" And yes, I'd say she is.

Even if she DOESN'T know how to read ANY music, that still doesn't mean she has a learning disorder. Learning music, like learning any code, language, or notation system takes time, interest and much hours of study. Maybe Stevie just didn't have a burning desire to master reading music, or didn't have the need :shrug:. She's done alright thus far without it.

I agree. I read somewhere that Stevie in fact has a high IQ. And she did more than a few semesters at Cal State...I think its more like four years and only a semester or so from graduating. Granted she wasn't taking engineering or physics... I believe it was art or design.

Boots 03-03-2006 01:12 PM

"When I See You Again" is a very sad song, indeed; however, there are moments where she doesn't just sing poorly, but she's trying to fold her voice into the Stevie Nicks sound, and it comes out sounding like baby talk. Buckingham coming in at the end was downright heartbreaking....just a tear jerker - but I could have done with less of the "whats-a-matter babeh's"....some of them were embarrasingly bad, only to be redeemed as the song carries on.

Sahara 03-03-2006 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boots
Buckingham coming in at the end was downright heartbreaking....just a tear jerker - but I could have done with less of the "whats-a-matter babeh's".

Yes and yes.

THINKABOUTIT 03-03-2006 01:17 PM

*I too think it's complete bull**** that Stevie stopped singing "Silver Springs" on the SYW tour.....something went down in Atlanta *I too think she does, even a little, regret not having kids. She puts sooo much emphasis on why, as if she is trying to convince herself.
*I LOVE her Tango songs and BTM songs
*I desperately want the set list changed!!!!! (I know I am not alone here) don't get me wrong, I will go see her till the end of time, but I can't lie and say there aren't many songs I want to see live :o
***GOD this is a great thread!!! :blob1:

David 03-03-2006 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWS
I read somewhere that Stevie in fact has a high IQ.

People have all sorts of fantasies! Luckily, most of them aren't dangerous.