The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Christine Songs you Dislike (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=17385)

aleuzzi 01-24-2005 01:08 PM

I'm not really sure "I hate" lists apply for me here. I really don't think any of CM's songs provoke that kind of reaction.

I'm not wild about "Wish You Were Here," "Mystified," or a number of bland offerings from the '84 solo record (most of those not written by her), but even when she isn't blowing me away, the atmosphere is pleasant.

Incidentally, I LOVE many of the songs that were listed as least faves: "Only Over You" and "Temporary One" are quite good, I think. And "Sugar Daddy" ranks with the entire band's all-time best moments.

Brwn_eyes0511 01-24-2005 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi
I'm not really sure "I hate" lists apply for me here. I really don't think any of CM's songs provoke that kind of reaction.

I'm not wild about "Wish You Were Here," "Mystified," or a number of bland offerings from the '84 solo record (most of those not written by her), but even when she isn't blowing me away, the atmosphere is pleasant.

Incidentally, I LOVE many of the songs that were listed as least faves: "Only Over You" and "Temporary One" are quite good, I think. And "Sugar Daddy" ranks with the entire band's all-time best moments.

Finally someone who agrees that Sugar Daddy is an awsome song! I LOVE Chris' little laugh and giggle at the end of the song...so cute! :nod:

DrummerDeanna 01-24-2005 02:00 PM

I rarely post in here - don't know why - I love Chris :D

Anyway I also dislike some of her songs....

Sugar Daddy (blah)
Oh Daddy (blah)
Say You Love Me - I hate the word "woo" don't know why :laugh:

Those are the only three I really can't stand :shrug:

Brwn_eyes0511 01-24-2005 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
Say You Love Me - I hate the word "woo" don't know why :laugh:

LOL...I have always felt the word "woo" is a strange word too! I LOVE "Say You Love Me" But I understand what you mean about the word "woo"....it is a bit odd! lol :laugh:

HomerMcvie 01-24-2005 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
Finally someone who agrees that Sugar Daddy is an awsome song! I LOVE Chris' little laugh and giggle at the end of the song...so cute! :nod:

I've ALWAYS defended Sugar Daddy! It's one of my favorites. I love the feel of the music. Who cares if the words are a little ..........hokey?

dissention 01-24-2005 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Who cares if the words are a little ..........hokey?

Yeah, really. If that was an issue, Stevie would have zero fans.

Brwn_eyes0511 01-24-2005 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
I've ALWAYS defended Sugar Daddy! It's one of my favorites. I love the feel of the music. Who cares if the words are a little ..........hokey?

lol...yea! I still love her little laugh at the end, and the car horn! It's classic "cute" Christine! ;)

Brwn_eyes0511 01-24-2005 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dissention

:lol:

to funny.

golddustwoman77 01-24-2005 04:12 PM

Well, I don't really dislike any of Christine's songs, but if I had to pick one, there is something about "Everywhere" that I just don't like. It is one of my least favorite Mac songs. :o

mondaymornin1 01-24-2005 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golddustwoman77
Well, I don't really dislike any of Christine's songs, but if I had to pick one, there is something about "Everywhere" that I just don't like. It is one of my least favorite Mac songs. :o

What she said. I liked The Dance version better than TITN, if I have to choose!

I have to tell my story about Temporary One, though. My 7-year-old daughter called it the "ol' sissy" song. I was like...???? She thought that when they sing "and the sea that divides us is a temporary one..." they were singing "ol sissy" instead of "us is a." I rolled.

"The river flows on and on and the sea that divides ol' sissy temporary one and a bridge will bring us back together." :laugh: Try it, you'll see. Of course, now that song will forever be called the "ol' sissy" song at my house.........

GypsySorcerer 01-30-2005 01:02 AM

I need to add "One More Night." I've tried to get into it, but it's just blah.

The Tower 02-01-2005 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer

I've always been quite fond of "One More Night". It's a great sunset song, if ya know what I mean.

As far as I'm concerned, Christine's worst songs are:

"Little Lies" (AWFUL!!!!)

and

"Everywhere"

I also loooooooooooovvvveeeee "Only Over You". I don't understand the dislike for that one.

Brwn_eyes0511 02-01-2005 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tower
I've always been quite fond of "One More Night". It's a great sunset song, if ya know what I mean.

As far as I'm concerned, Christine's worst songs are:

"Little Lies" (AWFUL!!!!)

and

"Everywhere"

I also loooooooooooovvvveeeee "Only Over You". I don't understand the dislike for that one.

I agree about "Only Over You" GREAT SONG (except for the HORRIBLE quality on the Mirage CD *remaster, remaster, please*...and it like skips right before the song starts)

But I GREATLY DISAGREE about Little Lies....this is IMO FM at its BEST in the 1980's...every memeber can be felt on this song! GREAT POP PERFECTION! :D

michelej1 08-07-2013 09:05 PM

Hollywood-Elsewhere.com by Jeffrey Wells

[many people defend the song in the Comments section]

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2...re-feels-nice/

Loathe to Admit

Music is a very intimate thing. The best songs seep right into your soul but the connection often evaporates if you share it. (Although sometimes it doesn’t.) Last night I was flipping through a magazine in Century City and came upon a piece called “Great Summer Songs,” and one of the respondents mentioned Fleetwood Mac‘s “Over My Head.” Fleetwood Mac was never a hip band, but they became fatally uncool after “Don’t Stop” played at the finale of the 1992 Democratic National Convention. And yet some kind of “Over My Head” memory turned a switch (I hadn’t listened to it in years) and to my everlasting shame I immediately bought it on iTunes.

I played it twice in the car on the way home. Schmucky as this sounds it sank right into my system like a Lemmon quaalude. Musical elitists like Glenn Kenny tend to sneer at such admissions, but a lot of people succumb to semi-sappy tunes of this sort on a car radio, especially at night. But as I listened to Christine McVie sing “you can take me any time you like, I’ll be around if you think you might,” I knew I couldn’t be having this moment if my sons Jett and Dylan were in the car. They would be mortified, and so would I. Keep it to yourself. Nobody else’s business.

My favorite McVie-Mac track is the raggae-flavored “Did You Ever Love Me?“

aleuzzi 08-07-2013 10:14 PM

Great way to revive a thread from 2004-05!

michelej1 08-07-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1099924)
Great way to revive a thread from 2004-05!

I favor doing that, but in moderation. I don't like several of them at once in the same forum, as I realize it's confusing. But the way I read the boards is to start from the last page first and I can limit myself to the new posts that way if I choose.

But I'd rather use existing threads than start a new one, when I can. I saw some threads regarding "Over My Head" specifically, but they were older ones too.

Michele

jbrownsjr 08-08-2013 08:24 AM

^^^ Glad you did. I sometimes don't remember the thread.

Villavic 08-10-2013 08:46 AM

Temporary One
Save me

I do like Don't Stop. But yes sometimes I get sick of it, as of Dreams. But I think the point is not about saturation but what we really like or think it's a great song.

WatchChain 08-10-2013 06:37 PM

"KEEPING SECRETS"

The rest of her body of work is phenomenal!

chiliD 08-12-2013 10:43 AM

"When You Say" just sucks. Sucked when Fleetwood Mac did it, sucked even more when Christine covered it.

That's all.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program already in progress.

jbrownsjr 08-12-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 1100188)
"When You Say" just sucks. Sucked when Fleetwood Mac did it, sucked even more when Christine covered it.

That's all.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program already in progress.

La, la, la lalala
la la la la la laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa;)

goldustsongbird 08-14-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1100224)
La, la, la lalala
la la la la la laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa;)

Four minutes of this would have been better than Wheeennnnn.....

*nine hours later*

yooooou...

*wakes up in the year 2525*

saaay....

holidayroad 08-15-2013 04:33 AM

I love almost anything Christine has done. The one song I typically skip is 'So Excited'. Something about it just gets on my nerves.

jbrownsjr 08-15-2013 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldustsongbird (Post 1100353)
Four minutes of this would have been better than Wheeennnnn.....

*nine hours later*

yooooou...

*wakes up in the year 2525*

saaay....

allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssssssss beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

2725* youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu andddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Dex 08-15-2013 08:29 AM

Shush, you guys. When You Say is awesome! Awesome, I tell you!

But I seem cursed/blessed with the ability to enjoy absolutely anything Danny Kirwan writes.

chiliD 08-15-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dex (Post 1100381)

But I seem cursed/blessed with the ability to enjoy absolutely anything Danny Kirwan writes.

"When You Say" is his major clunker. Everything else he did with Fleetwood Mac is top notch. Like they say, "you can't win 'em all" (unless you're the UCLA basketball team in the late '60s/early '70s, that is.)

Maybe it would've fared better had he waited & put it on Second Chapter...seems like it would fit that album better than Then Play On.

becca 08-15-2013 02:01 PM

I love Only Over You and find myself singing it sometimes, but I never cared for Sugar Daddy. :shrug:

When You Say is something Danny Kirwan did originally in the Spanish guitar style with Chris accompanying. I thought for some reason they decided they needed a track quickly for the album and just had her overdub her own vocals. The Danny version is likable but the one with Christine vocals they should have left on the shelf, not sure which one actually came out first, it might've been Christine's.

Dex 08-16-2013 07:25 AM

Mm, Becca. Yeah... I listened to When You Say again and I think I need to retract my "awesome" adjective. "Likeable" is a much more honest word to use. I still stick by it, though.

UnwoundDreams 08-16-2013 09:15 AM

- Sugar Daddy
- Songbird
- Oh Daddy
- Little Lies
- Over My Head

goldustsongbird 08-16-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1100374)
allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssssssss beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

2725* youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu andddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

*snort* Wha--?! Did you say something? Dozing on my hovercraft again... Sweet beard, Moses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dex (Post 1100381)

I love Danny, but that song is just painful. It's his Secret Love demo. Clunkity-clunk. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwoundDreams (Post 1100442)
- Sugar Daddy
- Songbird
- Oh Daddy
- Little Lies
- Over My Head

Oh Daddy is nice when you listen to the center-channel mixes like they did on Classic Albums. It's just an uncomfortable song to sing along to.

Songs I don't like:
- Morning Rain
- Over My Head (Just on the album; I like the Rosebud performance)
- Oh Daddy
- Warm Ways ("Make me a woman tonight" :shocked: )
- Over and Over
- So Excited
- Ask Anybody
- Wheeennnn Youuuu Saaaay
- Keeping Secrets
- Bad Journey and the majority of In The Meantime.

applebucked 08-27-2013 12:41 PM

I found out that if I skip When You Say, I can listen to the rest of the Christine Perfect album. :lol:

Others:
Only Over You
Warm Ways (can't really listen to this all the way)
Over and Over

*Bad Journey is actually a guilty pleasure of mine among the ITM tracks. :P

jbrownsjr 08-27-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applebucked (Post 1101220)
I found out that if I skip When You Say, I can listen to the rest of the Christine Perfect album. :lol:

Others:
Only Over You
Warm Ways (can't really listen to this all the way)
Over and Over

*Bad Journey is actually a guilty pleasure of mine among the ITM tracks. :P

I love Bad Journey!! You me and about zero other people... :laugh:

applebucked 08-27-2013 08:28 PM

From my lurking here, I figured that it's not a very popular track. That duet with herself in the bridge is my favorite part of that song.

teedeerocks 10-09-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dissention (Post 254577)
Temporary One

That song is bloody awful. Hurts my ears.

LOVE TEMPORARY ONE!!!!

secondhandchain 10-09-2013 11:23 PM

I always love the songs people hate the most.
Love:
Mystified (amazing harmonies and a island feel)
Honey Hi (closing harmonies are sublime)
You'll Never make me cry ...simply beautiful
One More night....love it, and Stevie and Lindsey's yearning harmonies
Only over you...I'm a sucker for FM's harmonies, they are awesome on the fade out
Wish You were here....love it

Don't love, but don't hate

Sugar Daddy
Don't Stop...just am sick of it, that's all
Some of the stuff from Behind the Mask..eh..except for the song BTM...it's GREAT.
Never heard Time...couldn't bring myself to listen

jbrownsjr 10-09-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondhandchain (Post 1106729)
Love:
Only over you...I'm a sucker for FM's harmonies, they are awesome on the fade out

Sugar Daddy
Some of the stuff from Behind the Mask..eh..except for the song BTM...it's GREAT.

Wow, we have so much in common!! spot on.. spot on!!

applebucked 10-10-2013 10:42 AM

I actually love most of the songs on your list. Except maybe Only Over You, but the others I love.

seekerj 10-10-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dissention (Post 254995)

:mad:

seekerj 10-10-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer (Post 257571)

Almost all of her songs are this way for me. Or maybe, they're just too lightweight for me from a lyrics or subject matter perspective. I especially hate "Everywhere" for this reason, plus because the music is so "blah" and wimpy. That's ok for a song here or there, but most of hers are that way. Lightweight lyrics plus wimpy music is just not what I listen to music for.

The others I really just cannot stand for the same reasons are "Save Me" and "Got A Hold On Me", and especially "Skies The Limit", which I think I can safely say is my least favorite ever, or at least it's tied with "Everywhere".

There are exceptions, though.

I always liked "Oh Daddy", but when I heard her say that she's being sarcastic in it, then I started really, really loving it! It's one of my favorite songs on Rumours. And I love "Over My Head", and "Wait and See" from the first solo album, and "The Smile I Live For" from the 1984 solo album.
And I don't get the hate for "Little Lies". At least she has something to say in that one, other than the usual "I'm so in love and life is just so wonderful and I'm just Suzy Sunshine" theme.

goldustsongbird 10-10-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondhandchain (Post 1106729)
Love:

Sugar Daddy

I love Never Make Me Cry! I'll fight anyone who doesn't. It's one of the best parts of the Tusk doc. http://youtu.be/C-caXvJUOrk?t=37m31s