The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Can we have The Dance Deluxe please?! (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59448)

UnwindedDreams 01-08-2022 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1271818)
I think you’re exactly right about Lindsey not using the Dance to resurrect his solo career. It doesn’t seem like he’s ever been so focused on being popular. Money, definitely, but also I know he’s spoken about the importance of FM’s legacy in the past, and that may have been a big factor in his decision, too. If I recall, FM had been nominated for the RRHOF twice before, but it wasn’t until the Dance came out that they made it in. That was not a coincidence. I think up until the Dance aired on MTV, it could have gone either way- the special could have been not well received and been their last gig, or it could have been well received and led to a resurgence. Fortunately, it was the latter.

I’m curious which video you’re referring to from the BTM era. I believe Stevie wanted to work with him, I just don’t recall a video or interview where she said that. I know people have said she’s always wanted him out of the band, but the evidence doesn’t support that idea at all. By all accounts, she begged him not to leave in 1987; Billy Burnette said Stevie was the one who asked Lindsey to play at the inauguration (and for Billy to step back); and she’d complained for years that she would call him for advice about a song and he wouldn’t respond, at least until Twisted. That doesn’t sound like someone who wanted him out of the band.

The video is of them doing Landslide, it was either in Oakland or Inglewood.
I have a feeling Lindsey said to Stevie during the tour meetings for 2018 that she wouldn't be "Stevie Nicks" if he hadn't taken the offer to join Fleetwood Mac and that's why she told Mick/Irving I can't work with him anymore.

As far as the Rock Hall bwboy, look who also got in at the 98 Ceremony... Eagles.
I believe FM and Stevie should be in the HOF, but I believe Irving helps to get one in. And in Stevie's case, you know I feel Tina, Diana, Gloria, Chaka, Carole, Cher, and Pat Benatar should've been inducted before Stevie for their musical contributions.
Stevie I believe should be inducted for her stage personality and performances.

Macfan4life 01-08-2022 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1271812)
which ones do you mean?

the one where Lindsey spontaneously kisses her on the head??:eek:

"he fell for her again
she watched it happen"

This is a 4 part series. I am only posting part 1. Its just fun to watch from today. Interesting how Chris said in 1997 that she still had a solo album to do that was under contract. My favorite part is when they talk about the Clinton inauguration and the interviewer asks the McVies if they would ever do something like that for Tony Blair. Their facial expressions are so funny and did not even take it as a joke. They were adamant they would never do anything for the Labor party.
Btw, some misinterpreted my earlier comments. Lindsey never did a solo career for money. My point was the money they were offered was too much for Lindsey not to go back at this point in his life....starting a family and not having to just live off past projects. Another fascinating segment that I never knew comes in segment #2 where Lindsey states he and Stevie were at the studio when Mick came to check out the studio and listen to the Buckingham/Nicks music to test the studio. They saw this giant tall guy jamming to their music with headphones on.
The Dance was a huge reset for the band. The Palm Beach Post had an article in 1997 how the band had reserved 3 floors of the Breakers Hotel on Palm Beach for their West Palm Beach stop. The year prior, Mick, John, and Fleetwood Mac stayed at the Comfort Inn in a shady part of town. How things changed in one year. The Dance's limelight brought back Stevie's solo career and getting her confidence to go back on stage after Street Angel. The Dance also got all the old Fleetwood Mac albums selling again. Rumours came back on the charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yo_8NRQ9VQ

Ulpian 01-08-2022 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1271821)
This is a 4 part series. I am only posting part 1. Its just fun to watch from today. Interesting how Chris said in 1997 that she still had a solo album to do that was under contract. My favorite part is when they talk about the Clinton inauguration and the interviewer asks the McVies if they would ever do something like that for Tony Blair. Their facial expressions are so funny and did not even take it as a joke. They were adamant they would never do anything for the Labor party.

I find the Labour bit hilarious. To be fair, the last time either McVie had been tax resident in the U.K. at that stage, Labour would have taxed them to the eyeballs. Blair ended up ushering in a period of relative prosperity, even for those at the upper end of the earnings spectrum.

bwboy 01-08-2022 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1271821)
The Dance was a huge reset for the band. The Palm Beach Post had an article in 1997 how the band had reserved 3 floors of the Breakers Hotel on Palm Beach for their West Palm Beach stop. The year prior, Mick, John, and Fleetwood Mac stayed at the Comfort Inn in a shady part of town. How things changed in one year. The Dance's limelight brought back Stevie's solo career and getting her confidence to go back on stage after Street Angel. The Dance also got all the old Fleetwood Mac albums selling again. Rumours came back on the charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yo_8NRQ9VQ

I agree 100%. The name brand Fleetwood Mac had lost so much of it’s value then. I wouldn’t say being a FM fan at that time was embarrassing, but it felt like it had whimpered to a horrible end, and then the Dance came along and they were being played all the time on MTV, VH1, and radio, and everyone was raving about them. It was great to see them back in their glory, and so respected by the music industry, critics, and fans again. I can only imagine how John and Mick must have felt, to go from the Time tour to the Dance tour!

Macfan4life 01-08-2022 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulpian (Post 1271822)
I find the Labour bit hilarious. To be fair, the last time either McVie had been tax resident in the U.K. at that stage, Labour would have taxed them to the eyeballs. Blair ended up ushering in a period of relative prosperity, even for those at the upper end of the earnings spectrum.

It was almost like he asked them if they would ever perform at a Satanic church or something :lol:

Chris stated in 1995 that she would have never voted for Bill Clinton yet she was honored he picked their song.

michelej1 01-08-2022 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1271818)
I think you’re exactly right about Lindsey not using the Dance to resurrect his solo career. It doesn’t seem like he’s ever been so focused on being popular. Money, definitely, but also I know he’s spoken about the importance of FM’s legacy in the past, and that may have been a big factor in his decision, too. If I recall, FM had been nominated for the RRHOF twice before, but it wasn’t until the Dance came out that they made it in. That was not a coincidence. I think up until the Dance aired on MTV, it could have gone either way- the special could have been not well received and been their last gig, or it could have been well received and led to a resurgence. Fortunately, it was the latter.

I’m curious which video you’re referring to from the BTM era. I believe Stevie wanted to work with him, I just don’t recall a video or interview where she said that. I know people have said she’s always wanted him out of the band, but the evidence doesn’t support that idea at all. By all accounts, she begged him not to leave in 1987; Billy Burnette said Stevie was the one who asked Lindsey to play at the inauguration (and for Billy to step back); and she’d complained for years that she would call him for advice about a song and he wouldn’t respond, at least until Twisted. That doesn’t sound like someone who wanted him out of the band.

Lindsey showed up at the end of two of the final BTM concerts. I believe it was during her introduction to Landslide on one of the nights that Lindsey was there that Stevie said she hoped that he would find it in his heart to work with her again.

michelej1 01-08-2022 11:14 PM

Oh, I just looked at my tape and what she actually said was that she hoped that someday “he’ll find it in his heart to spend some time with me and maybe make some music.”

But in 1990 that was not the only time she said she wanted to work with him. She told an interviewer that she called him on the phone and asked him to work on a couple of songs with her and he would not take the call. She said that in June. I always theorized that when Lindsey’s brother died in November, 1990 that the band probably reached out to him and that’s why they were on friendly enough terms for him to show up at the last BTM concerts later that year.

By the way, I read a Greg Buckingham interview and he was so modest and made it seem like winning a medal was just a fluke. Our guy is not that modest.:laugh:

vivfox 01-09-2022 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1271833)
Oh, I just looked at my tape and what she actually said was that she hoped that someday “he’ll find it in his heart to spend some time with me and maybe make some music.”

But in 1990 that was not the only time she said she wanted to work with him. She told an interviewer that she called him on the phone and asked him to work on a couple of songs with her and he would not take the call. She said that in June.

In other words, he gave her radio silence. My, how the tables have turned.

michelej1 01-09-2022 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1271839)
In other words, he gave her radio silence. My, how the tables have turned.

But I think that if she had suffered a heart attack, he would have taken the call. Actually, he would have made a call. And he did attend Mick’s wedding. Even then, he did not treat them, as he has been treated.

UnwindedDreams 01-09-2022 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1271840)
But I think that if she had suffered a heart attack, he would have taken the call. Actually, he would have made a call. And he did attend Mick’s wedding. Even then, he did not treat them, as he has been treated.

Do you think her note to him after the heart attack said "Love, Stevie"?

It sounds like it was a Get Well card from the band.

vivfox 01-09-2022 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1271840)

Yes, this is true. He walked away from the people he truly cared about because he could not stand to watch them depreciate their lives any longer with drug abuse. And with Stevie since admitting she was still addicted in 1994 it's no surprise he didn't want to take her call until he learned that she had truly gotten help for her issues.
My other comment was off base really and I'm sorry for saying that. I just don't like reading multiple comments from members continuing to pound on Stevie, whether they feel she deserves ultimate punishment for her sins or not.

michelej1 01-09-2022 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1271841)
Do you think her note to him after the heart attack said "Love, Stevie"?

It sounds like it was a Get Well card from the band.

You know she said that being an ex she said more in her card. Maybe she ended it with TTYL.

jbrownsjr 01-12-2022 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1271843)
You know she said that being an ex she said more in her card. Maybe she ended it with TTYL.

Or, Thrown Down with the tense changes still in there.

HomerMcvie 01-12-2022 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1271863)
Or, Thrown Down with the tense changes still in there.

Would you say that to Blob Dylan?

moon 01-15-2022 03:57 PM

Hi! Happy New Year for everyone!!:blob1:
A good deluxe version of The Dance would be really good, but I don't think it would include other songs like The Farmer's Daughter or Oh Daddy...I think it would have the "entire" concert (that released in 1997), both on CD and DVD/BlueRay, not with other songs, but maybe with a multicamera or something like that!
BTW, it's sad to know that probably the entire show, or a big part of it was recorded before and then performed...it's disappointing! But everytime I hear some of the songs, I remember good times learning to play them. My favs are The Chain, Everywhere, I'm So Afraid -one of the best guitar solos ever-, Gypsy, Over My Head, Tusk, Silver Springs and Sweet Girl.

On the other hand, maybe we deserve a good Mirage Tour concert, but I go with a good Tusk Tour one. Except for the documentary, I need a truly concert, a full one with those wonderful songs they performed between 1979 and 1980. Please! I still don't understand why the last deluxe edition didn't include it!!!:(

vivfox 01-16-2022 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moon (Post 1271970)
but I go with a good Tusk Tour one. Except for the documentary, I need a truly concert, a full one with those wonderful songs they performed between 1979 and 1980. Please! I still don't understand why the last deluxe edition didn't include it!!!:
(

This is total thread hijak but I have no use whatsoever for a Dance Deluxe. I never even bought the original. At that point I was already fed up with the same ole same ole from this band. But I am in full agreement on wanting some great Tusk Tour shows. Somebody out there has access to those tapes and I need to hear them. And I mean all of them on that entire tour. My whole FM existence begins and ends with the Live Rhiannon's and her best ones ever came on the latter half of the Tusk Tour, preferably in May & June of 1980. Of the three that I have from that time period, they are amongst my all time faves. Rotterdam, London and Chicago. I know there has got to be more. The one they released from Tuscon recorded in late August 1980 is right up there with these three I mentioned.

Macfan4life 01-16-2022 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1271985)
This is total thread hijak but I have no use whatsoever for a Dance Deluxe. I never even bought the original. At that point I was already fed up with the same ole same ole from this band. But I am in full agreement on wanting some great Tusk Tour shows. Somebody out there has access to those tapes and I need to hear them. And I mean all of them on that entire tour. My whole FM existence begins and ends with the Live Rhiannon's and her best ones ever came on the latter half of the Tusk Tour, preferably in May & June of 1980. Of the three that I have from that time period, they are amongst my all time faves. Rotterdam, London and Chicago. I know there has got to be more. The one they released from Tuscon recorded in late August 1980 is right up there with these three I mentioned.

I know how you feel. I did buy the Dance and camped out for tickets. But I felt odd not being more excited. I found their performance stale since I saw it on MTV so many times. It was the same exact show with the same words to the audience. The Dance was exciting because Lindsey was back. Stevie was back and they were performing live again. Silver Springs finally got the attention that it deserved. I swear I almost felt how Chris looked. A bit bored :eek:
I too would not really have interest in the Dance extended. I actually felt guilty leaving the Dance concert. I waited my entire life to see Lindsey and the band together live and I remember thinking the Farewell concert in 1990 was a better production. Strange.

jbrownsjr 01-16-2022 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1271987)
I know how you feel. I did buy the Dance and camped out for tickets. But I felt odd not being more excited. I found their performance stale since I saw it on MTV so many times. It was the same exact show with the same words to the audience. The Dance was exciting because Lindsey was back. Stevie was back and they were performing live again. Silver Springs finally got the attention that it deserved. I swear I almost felt how Chris looked. A bit bored :eek:
I too would not really have interest in the Dance extended. I actually felt guilty leaving the Dance concert. I waited my entire life to see Lindsey and the band together live and I remember thinking the Farewell concert in 1990 was a better production. Strange.

The BTM show in Cleveland blew the socks off The Dance Cleveland. Christine and Rick carried that show and it blew me away.

mylittledemon 01-20-2022 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1271769)
I don't like that version of The Chain.

:eek: ... it's my favorite version :lol:

I agree with you about Silver Springs and Songbird. Really love So Afraid, Everywhere and GYOW too.

jbrownsjr 01-20-2022 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 1272161)

I agree with you about Silver Springs and Songbird. Really love So Afraid, Everywhere and GYOW too.

My favorite is Mirage 1982 Forum. Love both nights, actually.

Ulpian 01-20-2022 03:44 PM

Quote:

I love that version of The Chain too, although the tour version differed slightly didn’t it? The latter I think had the backing singers doing the high “Stiiiiill head you saaaying” which Chris did on the original Rumours album track.

SteveMacD 01-20-2022 03:57 PM

Quote:

Without the soloing at the end, it felt completely neutered.

Same for “Rhiannon.”

mylittledemon 01-21-2022 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1272173)
My favorite is Mirage 1982 Forum. Love both nights, actually.

I love that version, too... Lindsey is a madman on it :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1272186)

Same for “Rhiannon.”

The ending of Rhiannon from The Dance has always been weird to me... still don't know why Lindsey didn't solo it out

Macfan4life 01-21-2022 05:07 AM

Quote:

Same for “Rhiannon.”

Exactly.
But all the songs as a whole were more studio sounding vs the typical arena rock sound.

michelej1 01-22-2022 05:48 PM

This might be wrong to say, but I liked Lindsey's duet with Little Big Town on The Chain a lot. I liked the LBT singers Karen and Kimberly on it.

Of course, I don't favor it over classic FM versions, but I did enjoy it.

BLY 01-22-2022 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1272266)
This might be wrong to say, but I liked Lindsey's duet with Little Big Town on The Chain a lot. I liked the LBT singers Karen and Kimberly on it.

Of course, I don't favor it over classic FM versions, but I did enjoy it.

I loved the LBT version with Lindsey on The Chain. LBT has been my new Favorite “vocal band” for years. Every album is amazing and many songs are Fleetwood Macish.

jbrownsjr 01-24-2022 10:23 AM

Quote:

Same for “Rhiannon.”

Neutered is the exact word that makes sense to me.

Macfan4life 01-24-2022 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1272292)
Neutered is the exact word that makes sense to me.

Sisters was also way neutered on the On With The Show tour too

HomerMcvie 01-24-2022 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1272293)
Sisters was also way neutered on the On With The Show tour too

I was singing the high notes for her, since she no longer tries.

vivfox 01-24-2022 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1272298)

:laugh::laugh: I wish Sharon and Marilyn would sing full backup for Christine as well as SN on the next FM tour.

Macfan4life 01-24-2022 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1272298)

I was not referring to your American Idol Stevie Nicks. I was referring to the musical arrangement. Sisters live is a knock your block off kind of song. Yet it came and went with a whisper. I know Lindsey's wild guitar playing offends you but I really liked hearing/watching him jam to the end of Sisters. But we did not get this last time :(

UnwindedDreams 01-24-2022 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1272302)
I was not referring to your American Idol Stevie Nicks. I was referring to the musical arrangement. Sisters live is a knock your block off kind of song. Yet it came and went with a whisper. I know Lindsey's wild guitar playing offends you but I really liked hearing/watching him jam to the end of Sisters. But we did not get this last time :(

Did you think it was bad in 2013? I thought it was good. Stevie was into it since she hadn't done it for 30 years

I don't know why they did it for another 2 years for OWTS

elle 01-24-2022 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1272304)
Did you think it was bad in 2013? I thought it was good. Stevie was into it since she hadn't done it for 30 years

I don't know why they did it for another 2 years for OWTS

i'm with Macfan4life. it was horrible. Stevie neutered him not allowing to overshadow her with the awesome guitar soloing he'd do on Sisters. not just that it didn't rise to previous live levls but it didn't rise even to the recorded levels. screaming guitar on Sisters is awesome, and i so was looking forward to it.

jbrownsjr 01-24-2022 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1272305)
i'm with Macfan4life. it was horrible. Stevie neutered him not allowing to overshadow her with the awesome guitar soloing he'd do on Sisters. not just that it didn't rise to previous live levls but it didn't rise even to the recorded levels. screaming guitar on Sisters is awesome, and i so was looking forward to it.

Agree 100%. It's the band's intensity along with her (back then) vocal range that made this song come alive. The guitar solo was a beautiful long exclamation point for this song. Album version too!!

HomerMcvie 01-24-2022 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1272302)

Oh please, get off your soapbox with Lindsey's guitar playing and me. Just because I don't like Come. I hear that that's an acquired taste.

I only want to know who neutered it. Her or him.

jbrownsjr 01-24-2022 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1272308)
Oh please, get off your soapbox with Lindsey's guitar playing and me. Just because I don't like Come. I hear that that's an acquired taste.

Macfan is obsessed with your likes and dislikes!! :laugh:

HomerMcvie 01-24-2022 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1272309)
Macfan is obsessed with your likes and dislikes!! :laugh:

Me thinks it's mutual. :lol:

We CLEARLY like grinding each other's gears.

UnwindedDreams 01-24-2022 08:32 PM

Quote:

This post gets the walls flaming:laugh:

elle 01-24-2022 09:40 PM

Quote:

her.

look up i think it was Gold Dust Woman from Paris 2013. one of her songs. he's soloing all over the place. it's amazing. and then look at the comments. Stevie cult spitting all over him that why is he overshadowing her on her song.

no wonder that he talks in interviews now how she hated him overshadowing her on stage with FM. in the past he was appeasing her for peace in the band. and look where that got him.

HomerMcvie 01-24-2022 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1272313)
This post gets the walls flaming:laugh:

Her walls have been flaming for decades. An ocean of Preparation H couldn't extinguish her battle worn flaming walls.