The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What Kind of Singer Are You? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=17182)

GateandGarden 12-07-2004 09:58 AM

I LOVE to sing. The last time I did it for lots of people was high school when I was in All-Parish Choir. (I didn't get to do All-State like Curtis :p ). I'm very fond of my singing voice, and I always get complimented on it when I use it, except for when I use it around people who are really close to me, 'cause they're really sick of it at this point. I used to really dislike my voice because it's really folk/opera-sounding, and when I was in high school, I wanted to sing like Christina Aguilera. I really wanted to ditch the operettic qualities and sing like the big pop singers. Earlier on in high school, I was hell bent on sounding just like my Britney Spears CDs (I was officially insane!), but I made "Baby One More Time" sound like a selection from The Phantom of the Opera. Thankfully, I got through that phase without hurting myself.

We had a karaoke thing at my university last year, and I had a blast. The DJ had "Say You Love Me" and "You Make Lovin' Fun." I performed both of them, and I don't think even one of my peers had ever heard either one of them.

Hillary

estranged4life 12-07-2004 12:30 PM

I am the kind...

of person who is always singin' as they commute to work/shop/etc. It's a form of relaxation for me to sing along to whatever cd I am playing (Loudly) at that moment.

My 2 favorite singers that I sing along to while driving are Freddie Mercury & Andi Deris (Helloween)...I would try to sing along to King Diamond's falsetto wail but I would probably explode the veins in my neck trying to hit those damn high notes :shrug:

Brian j.

seeker007nmss 12-07-2004 12:42 PM

Due to a constitutional Amendment, I am no longer aloud to sing in any of the 50 states. The UN is also looking into adding it to the Geneva Convention. I think that sums up on how I sing. Thank You.

sparky 12-07-2004 01:06 PM

I love to sing, though I am not nearly the singer I would like to be. Tragically a baritone, who can't sing high tenor to save my life. It just doesn't happen. I do okay. I took lessons for a long time, did the whole musical thing in high school and college, and did a few operas while in college. Only a chorus member, but it was fun.
My voice has gotten deeper with age, and that has been fun to play with. Thankfully, the high end isn't shredded, though I can't falsetto anymore. Never really could with any power. It always sounded silly anyway. I have enough range to sing comfortably in two solid octaves, so that is better than a stick in the eye. The good thing about Stevie now is that I can sing almost all of her parts in her new recordings. Except for a few notes in "Smile at You" that is. :laugh:

I love singing Bon Jovi songs karaoke. I do a mean "Wanted Dead Or Alive". But the chorus in "Livin' On A Prayer" leaves me in the dirt. Have to go low. :distress:

My favorite singers to sing along with are Ann Wilson and Trisha Yearwood, becase they are so all over the place, range wise. It is a hoot to sing their stuff in different octaves and play with the harmonies. Singing a bass range harmony off Ann's soprano is tons of fun.

dissention 12-07-2004 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amber
uh, me, too. :laugh: Naw, i like my singing voice, and i've taken singing lessons for a few years, and, of course, choir. Of course my belt is better than my "good" singing voice, and i use it loudly and often. But still, i'm a better mimic then a good ear, ie, I can't always bust out a harmony on the first try, but i can definitely learn anything, and eventually manage to come up with some kind of harmony. My favorite songs to sing are stevie, I like her improv yowling the best. But my favorite hard song to sing is probably...Crazy. But, basically, i sing all the time, constantly, and wish i was much better... :laugh: I'm still heartbroken from the time I tried out for Cabaret, and my singing teacher, who hated me, told the director she didn't think my voice could handle it. :distress: My big stage voice is way better than my other voice...I still hate that lady... :lol:

The only song I've tried to sing and had a bitch of a time doing so is "Lush Life." Hardest. Song. Ever. I was drained by the time it ended and sucked badly. :laugh:

I, and very stupidly, applied to Juilliard when I was 20 because I thought I had had taken enough classes and been in enough productions to at least be considered. Obviously not. :laugh: I still have the rejection letter, telling me I needed a bit more experience. I was happy, though, because there was no way I could have ever afforded it or even finished the audition. I would have had a stroke during it. :laugh:

ryan8472 12-07-2004 02:50 PM

Aww, no one likes their singing voice except Diss. Then again, when does anyone ever try really hard at kareoke? :p Aside from the Cars last night, I *attempted* to sing Call Me by Blondie :laugh: . And, even though I was quite off key, I still got a good laugh from everyone :nod: :laugh: . That's what counts, right? :rolleyes:

amber 12-07-2004 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dissention
The only song I've tried to sing and had a bitch of a time doing so is "Lush Life." Hardest. Song. Ever. I was drained by the time it ended and sucked badly. :laugh:

I, and very stupidly, applied to Juilliard when I was 20 because I thought I had had taken enough classes and been in enough productions to at least be considered. Obviously not. :laugh: I still have the rejection letter, telling me I needed a bit more experience. I was happy, though, because there was no way I could have ever afforded it or even finished the audition. I would have had a stroke during it. :laugh:

aww... :) I don't know the song lush life, but i'm curious as to what could be the hardest song evah! It's good that you applied to Julliard, I think. Better than if you didn't try. :thumbsup: I think i was better at acting then singing, but you can't just go around acting every day. Which reminds me, I hated being around theatre people. They always wanted attention, and were always acting! It was gross. I'm like, "do you have to be another character, or burst into song, just when we're talking? Can you have a normal conversation as yourself?" :rolleyes: Uh, apropos of nothing...

estranged4life 12-07-2004 03:01 PM

Uh...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan8472
Aww, no one likes their singing voice except Diss.

I like my singing voice, More metal than Pop/AC/etc.

Brian j.

dissention 12-07-2004 03:04 PM

Quote:

aww... :) I don't know the song lush life, but i'm curious as to what could be the hardest song evah! It's good that you applied to Julliard, I think. Better than if you didn't try. :thumbsup: I think i was better at acting then singing, but you can't just go around acting every day. Which reminds me, I hated being around theatre people. They always wanted attention, and were always acting! It was gross. I'm like, "do you have to be another character, or burst into song, just when we're talking? Can you have a normal conversation as yourself?" :rolleyes: Uh, apropos of nothing...

Queen Latifah does a fantastic version of Lush Life on the Living Out Loud soundtrack, as does Natalie Cole on "Unforgettable." :nod: It's strenuous to sing. My stomach hurt after I did it. :laugh: I'm a very theatrical person, anyways.

I applied for the acting program, not the music one. It just so happened that I had done musicals and taken voice lessons (it was my grandmother's friend who gave them to me, but she died when I was 16 and that was it). I did a lot of community theater, too, along with the college productions. That's why I was hoping that I could possibly get a role during the Williamstown Festival. But, alas, I didn't.

It depresses me to talk about, though, because while I love my job for many reasons, it's not what I want to do. Given the opportunity to study acting or find ways to incororate ugly duvet covers, I'm going to go with acting. I'm still bitter over all of it. :laugh:

And I want mass love, anyways. :p

strandinthewind 12-07-2004 03:09 PM

Quote:

Queen Latifah does a fantastic version of Lush Life on the Living Out Loud soundtrack, as does Natalie Cole on "Unforgettable." :nod: It's strenuous to sing. My stomach hurt after I did it. :laugh: I'm a very theatrical person, anyways.

I applied for the acting program, not the music one. It just so happened that I had done musicals and taken voice lessons (it was my grandmother's friend who gave them to me, but she died when I was 16 and that was it). I did a lot of community theater, too, along with the college productions. That's why I was hoping that I could possibly get a role during the Williamstown Festival. But, alas, I didn't.

It depresses me to talk about, though, because while I love my job for many reasons, it's not what I want to do. Given the opportunity to study acting or find ways to incororate ugly duvet covers, I'm going to go with acting. I'm still bitter over all of it. :laugh:

I know - I could have acted and sang my way across every stage in this and ither countries for my entire life and that would have been fine with me :cool: But, it did not happen that way AND selling it to a jury of 10 or so when you are hoarse is ALOT easier than selling it to a crowded house :laugh: So, I am what IIIIII AAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMM :laugh:

dissention 12-07-2004 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I know - I could have acted and sang my way across every stage in this and ither countries for my entire life and that would have been fine with me :cool: But, it did not happen that way AND selling it to a jury of 10 or so when you are hoarse is ALOT easier than selling it to a crowded house :laugh: So, I am what IIIIII AAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMM :laugh:

:nod:

But when I get depressed over it all, I just remind myself that I'm still a spring chicken and I could always pursue it at anytime. :laugh: Anything is possible, they say.

amber 12-07-2004 03:14 PM

Quote:

:laugh: :laugh:
Me, too. I wanted to be a film actress from age 12-21 :) But i'm over it. But when i was little, and picked things i would be, it went like this:
2-8yrs. - famous gymnast
8-10 - famous basketball player ( :shrug: )
11-12 - (?)
12-21 - famous actress..
Do you have Mars in Leo?

amber 12-07-2004 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strandinthewind

You remind me of a theater-ey type. :)

DrummerDeanna 12-07-2004 03:15 PM

Quote:

Which reminds me, I hated being around theatre people. They always wanted attention, and were always acting! It was gross. I'm like, "do you have to be another character, or burst into song, just when we're talking? Can you have a normal conversation as yourself?" :rolleyes: Uh, apropos of nothing...

hahaha- YES!! I Totally know what you're talking about - I was in theater briefly - but was SO annoyed by the hardcore folks...I couldn't take it...

BUT I also have the same beef with chorus kids - I remember in high school we had to go on a duel band/chorus trip - those bastards sang the ENTIRE time....sang sang sang...all the time...finally people were yelling at them, "YES! We know you can sing - now shut UP!!!" hahha...

but...I think in high school I was super obnoxious in my own way...:nod:

It seems the theater folk from my old college never outgrew the constant acting thing...my best friend is a theater major - even he gets ticked at people like that....

dissention 12-07-2004 03:17 PM

Quote:

:laugh: :laugh:
Me, too. I wanted to be a film actress from age 12-21 :) But i'm over it. But when i was little, and picked things i would be, it went like this:
2-8yrs. - famous gymnast
8-10 - famous basketball player ( :shrug: )
11-12 - (?)
12-21 - famous actress..
Do you have Mars in Leo?

I always wanted to be a star, ever since I was a tyke, and I doubt I'll ever get over it. :laugh: