The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tango In The Night - Which Songs Include Stevie? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58317)

BLY 11-12-2018 07:55 PM

Prior to the release of Tango Stevie “threatened” that she couldn’t/wouldn’t do press on the album if she couldn’t “hear her on the album”. These are the tracks I believe she is on in addition to her songs ( some deeper in the mix like Lindsey has done with her vocals on the prior albums)

Everywhere
Mystified
Family Man
Little Lies

cbBen 11-12-2018 10:06 PM

So it seems, at least so far, the only songs where we can identify Stevie's presence beyond the almost (or totally) imperceptible are her own three songs, "Little Lies," and "Family Man."

I must say, Lindsey would have been wrong to leave her off "Little Lies." She improves it.

David 11-12-2018 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbBen (Post 1243713)
Is it Lindsey and not Christine on keyboards on Tango In The Night?

It's a question that probably needs to be qualified by statements he made to Jim Ladd and others in the Eighties. "Often what sounds like a keyboard part is actually me playing a plectrum-style instrument and modifying it somehow on the mixing board."

It isn't necessarily that Lindsey is playing Christine's piano and electric piano on their Eighties albums. It's that he's playing at least some of them on a guitar, a dobro, a mandolin, a ukulele or probably even a stand-up bass, and then running the tape through a modified amplifier or a loop or turning weird knobs on the board or feeding everything through a sampler or whatever he did as part of his "painting."

It's very difficult for me to tell, but take a track like Straight Back. I think there are two actual keyboard tracks: a B3 and a Yamaha CP30. The rest of that wash of sound that seems initially very keyboardy is probably done with guitars.

ricohv 11-13-2018 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Run (Post 1243730)
I am willing to say with extreme confidence that Stevie is not playing any of the synth parts on Everywhere. She was barely there to record a coherent vocal in 1987 let alone lay down synth parts on a song she did not write.

If you look at the personnel credits on Wiki for Tango in the Night, Say You Will, EP and Buckingham McVie they are increasingly Buckingham studio craft pieces that went beyond producing and arranging to actually playing and programming lots of the parts himself. This may have been a point of consternation for the band during the production of these albums, but maybe not? Although I believe he is the principal architect of the band's gorgeous ersatz symphonic sound, sometimes the architect has to know that the mason lays better brick than he himself would.

This is a great article on Tango and the building of that album.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...eluxe-edition/

In Tango's case I think the physical and mental condition of the other band members forced his hand with many of these choices.

John Run-THANK YOU-that Pitchfork review is brilliant! I just spent a lot of time reading that PLUS all their other FM reviews that are linked at the bottom. Very worthwhile reads & I would highly recommend them to everyone here!
Ricoh

Macfan4life 11-13-2018 05:04 AM

The funny thing is when Everywhere came out, I thought I naturally heard Stevie. I never thought much about it until Lindsey's comments. Then I listen to the song and don't hear her. Was I tricked? Did I assume? Who knows.

petep9000 11-13-2018 11:27 AM

I will go to my grave with two strongly held beliefs about Stevie's work on the "Tango" album:

1. Stevie Nicks sings the weird "amwhatIamwhatIam..." part on "Family Man"

2. Stevie Nicks is NOT in the background vocal mix for "Everywhere" despite what Mick Fleetwood's ghostwritten book says.

bombaysaffires 11-13-2018 12:27 PM

Stevie is NOT on Family Man

HomerMcvie 11-13-2018 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1243762)

I'd swear that's her on the weird "amwhatIam" part. That is all.

bombaysaffires 11-13-2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1243764)
I'd swear that's her on the weird "amwhatIam" part. That is all.

you'd be wrong.

vivfox 11-13-2018 01:57 PM

Quote:

Not on the album version but she's def. on the 12 inch remix version.

gldstwmn 11-13-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Correct. It's Lindsey using a VSO. He has an uncanny ability to make his voice sound just like hers.

HomerMcvie 11-13-2018 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1243768)
you'd be wrong.

It wouldn't be the first time.

Oh wait, yes, it would.;)

jbrownsjr 11-13-2018 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1243772)
It wouldn't be the first time.

Oh wait, yes, it would.;)

It doesn't smell like goat breath during Family Man. :lol:

petep9000 11-13-2018 03:51 PM

Not on the album version of "Family Man" yet IS on the 12" version, and sounds the same? Why would they go through the trouble.

I believe Stevie Nicks IS on the album track. Everyone can believe what they like, nobody knows for sure until we see Lindsey or Stevie actually put that on paper.

Macfan4life 11-13-2018 05:22 PM

OMG You guys are freaking me out. I always assumed it was Stevie on Family Man too. Now that I listen, I would vote no. Its subtle but when the part in question begins, you can clearly hear its Lindsey and changing his voice. But the voice transitions into a Stevie sounding sound/voice. This is why its confuses people. I also think he did this on purpose to make it sound like Stevie thus his interview on his tricks or layering, whatever you want to call it. If it was Stevie, the part would be very dramatic and obvious from the very beginning IMHO. After all these years I think I may have been wrong. Gosh, this would have been the PERFECT question to ask Lindsey at the meet and greet. Can someone ask this.

Edit: The Wikipedia page for Family Man does not credit Stevie for any contributions. Lindsey is the credit for all backing vocals.

Personnel
Mick Fleetwood – drums, percussion
John McVie – bass guitar
Christine McVie – keyboards
Lindsey Buckingham – guitars, Fairlight CMI, drum and percussion programming, lead and backing vocals