The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   So who owns the rights to the Buckingham Nicks album? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59193)

lbfan 03-17-2021 05:12 PM

Publishing Rights

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wdm6789 (Post 1265450)
Didn’t Stevie and Lindsey sell their publishing rights or something? Who owns Buckingham Nicks now? Will that album ever get released like on Spotify and iTunes?

If both Stevie and Lindsey sold the majority interest of their past catalogs, wouldn’t the decision to re-release BN rest solely with those two companies?

HomerMcvie 03-17-2021 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbfan (Post 1265488)
If both Stevie and Lindsey sold the majority interest of their past catalogs, wouldn’t the decision to re-release BN rest solely with those two companies?

You would certainly think so. I guess it's up to them if the cost is worth the risk if it only sells a few thousand copies. It wouldn't be that different than releasing Time or BTM.

I'm sure they didn't buy the catalogs because they're super fans! It's an investment. Investors don't like bad business moves...

jmn3 03-17-2021 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthonyMI (Post 1265481)
The time to release that album was 1997 at the height of the Fleetwood Mac craze boom. CD sales were still stable, Napster had not been invented yet, and there was no streaming other than RealPlayer (yuck!)

I suppose Rhino could release it as a physical copy or maybe they can give it “the works” and make a Vinyl box set with a CD of all the demos and CoffeePlant recordings. It wont sell a lot though. Its best bet is streaming on Apple and Spotify and maybe generating SOME income.

I’ve said for years that it should’ve been re-released in 1998. Once Chris left and sort of derailed any thought of continuing The Dance tour they should’ve “celebrated” the BN 25th anniversary and rereleased it. And ideally done some shows as Buckingham Nicks (with Mick and John). The momentum was then and really only then. It was ideal timing and would’ve allowed them to continue off the 1997 momentum despite Chris’s retirement. Since then I’d say any major interest in it would be pretty limited.

jbrownsjr 03-17-2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1265483)
Remaster and release the outtakes from the photo session.

They could possibly find a niche and really promote this. If there was a tour behind it, it would really sell with the deluxe version.

BTW, you've seen the outtakes of the naked photos, no?

UnwindedDreams 03-17-2021 08:16 PM

I think the cover should be reshot and with a new partner "Nicks Finn"!

I don't see it getting rereleased. Anyone can get it. It's harder to get a copy of Time than BN!

UnwindedDreams 03-17-2021 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1265491)
If there was a tour behind it, it would really sell with the deluxe version.

Remember when Stevie told RollingStone she wanted to tour Buckingham Nicks during the 2013 FM tour break from July - September:laugh:

HomerMcvie 03-17-2021 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams (Post 1265492)
I think the cover should be reshot and with a new partner "Nicks Finn"!

I don't see it getting rereleased. Anyone can get it. It's harder to get a copy of Time than BN!

NOOOOO!!!!! That's too many wrinkles for any camera. Can you imagine those saggy bodies on the cover? Even though $tevie, of course, hasn't had any work done...:D

I don't think it'll happen, either.

I regularly see BTM, SYW, and even Time in my used media store. Those three are usually $1.95. Even the Bob Welch years are $9.00. What does that say???

michelej1 03-17-2021 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1265491)
They could possibly find a niche and really promote this. If there was a tour behind it, it would really sell with the deluxe version.

BTW, you've seen the outtakes of the naked photos, no?

Have I? I don’t even remember. What about that blouse that she spent a week’s salary on. It is funny that she thought the blouse would be do beautiful that no one would ask her to take it off. As if men think that way! No offense to you, men, but ...

SteveMacD 03-17-2021 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthonyMI (Post 1265481)
The time to release that album was 1997 at the height of the Fleetwood Mac craze boom. CD sales were still stable, Napster had not been invented yet, and there was no streaming other than RealPlayer (yuck!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmn3 (Post 1265490)
I’ve said for years that it should’ve been re-released in 1998. Once Chris left and sort of derailed any thought of continuing The Dance tour they should’ve “celebrated” the BN 25th anniversary and rereleased it. And ideally done some shows as Buckingham Nicks (with Mick and John). The momentum was then and really only then. It was ideal timing and would’ve allowed them to continue off the 1997 momentum despite Chris’s retirement. Since then I’d say any major interest in it would be pretty limited.

My thought was it should have been reissued in 1996. Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey, and Stevie were all mostly inactive at that point, at least publicly, but there was a buzz for a reunion. Reissuing the album with some demos, outtakes, and “Twisted,” would have generated even more buzz.

HomerMcvie 03-18-2021 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1265499)
My thought was it should have been reissued in 1996. Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey, and Stevie were all mostly inactive at that point, at least publicly, but there was a buzz for a reunion. Reissuing the album with some demos, outtakes, and “Twisted,” would have generated even more buzz.

But they were pretty much dead at that point. Post Dance would have been their best opportunity for marketing. Not that they know ANYTHING about marketing.

Macfan4life 03-18-2021 01:52 AM

I think it will be re-released for its 50th anniversary in just a few years which also will be the swan song for Fleetwood Mac. Very short goodbye tour with very high prices. Even Mick's meet and greet will go up in price and give you fewer stickers.

HomerMcvie 03-18-2021 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1265501)
I think it will be re-released for its 50th anniversary in just a few years which also will be the swan song for Fleetwood Mac. Very short goodbye tour with very high prices. Even Mick's meet and greet will go up in price and give you fewer stickers.

I hope they all live long enough for a swan song(which WAS BuckVie). I'm not much on betting these days. Especially at their ages.

Meet Mick? I'd pay $5 if I could kick him in the cashew nuts. The dumbest man in R&R history.

sue 03-18-2021 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1265502)
I hope they all live long enough for a swan song(which WAS BuckVie). I'm not much on betting these days. Especially at their ages.

Meet Mick? I'd pay $5 if I could kick him in the cashew nuts. The dumbest man in R&R history.

Stevie is practising twirls in her power chair as we speak...

jbrownsjr 03-18-2021 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sue (Post 1265505)
Stevie is practising twirls in her power chair as we speak...

Haha!! Good one. I'd love it if Sharon wheeled her around in a wheel chair for the GDW crack dance.

aleuzzi 03-18-2021 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1265474)

It’s not even really all that good. I guess it’s most impressive for its acoustic guitar work. It’s nice, pleasant chug-a-lug hippie music. But it has this absolutely weird incantatory power over people when they talk about it — the same people who probably haven’t listened to any Buckingham or Nicks solo albums since 1981. Lindsey is wrong when he says that the music on Rumours doesn’t warrant all the hoopla. He should be talking about Buckingham Nicks!

I feel this way, too. This classic album isn’t a classic. There is an intriguing blend of electric and acoustic guitars, and vibrant if not yet wholly matured vocals. But the album doesn’t really cohere. Most of the songs are underwhelming and supported by an undistinguished rhythm section. Only “Frozen Love” merits the hype. It’s also the only song that feels truly collaborative.