The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Present Band (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Stevie's Collaborations with Mike Campbell - Ranked (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57988)

sodascouts 06-23-2018 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye (Post 1231599)
9. Kick It (has this been included yet, it should)

No, we missed "Kick It."

Yikes, that one is pretty bad, too. This list keeps getting more and more inglorious.

I'll edit my initial post.

mitzo 06-24-2018 08:04 AM

I've said it a million times, Stevie never should have started hanging around the Heartbreakers, her music went ugly. starting with her first album solo.

The collaborations with Campbell are prime examples of the negative side of her Heartbreakers fixation.

Dragon 06-24-2018 08:48 AM

Collaborations with the Heartbreakers helped Stevie Nicks, Don Henley, and the Eagles.

sodascouts 06-24-2018 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon (Post 1231626)
Collaborations with the Heartbreakers helped Stevie Nicks, Don Henley, and the Eagles.

Campbell's and Tench's collaborations with Henley and, by extension, the Eagles have been brilliant but I think we see the truth of mitzo's statement - at least in regard to Campbell - in this thread when it comes to Stevie. Just because he clicks with one artist does not mean he clicks with another.

If we extend that to Petty, though, I am less inclined to agree. I enjoy "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around," "Insider," "Needles and Pins," and "The Apartment Song." They sounded good together. ("I Will Run to You" - eh.)

And "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" did kick off her career.

But then I swing back to mitzo's opinion when Stevie goes beyond singing with Petty to being so obsessed that she wants to do several of his songs. I do not enjoy all the Petty covers. "Free Fallin'", "I Need to Know," and the ones she throws in live like "So You Want to Be a Rock'n'Roll Star"* and "You Wreck Me"... it's too much. You can't BE Tom Petty, Stevie.

*I realize "So You Want to Be a Rock'n'Roll Star" was not original to Petty but Stevie covered it due to the fact that his live version was so popular, included on his Pack Up the Plantation album.

SteveMacD 06-24-2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts (Post 1231580)
One contributor's part is good + one contributor's part is bad = collaboration fail.

I agree, but I think Stevie really hasn’t had any great songs since TWH, regardless if it was something she wrote on her own or with a collaborator. I don’t think it really matters who she would have collaborated with, it would still be sketchy. She seems to have lost her ability to write good lyrics as well as her sense of melody.

dreamsunwind 06-24-2018 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1231625)
I've said it a million times, Stevie never should have started hanging around the Heartbreakers, her music went ugly. starting with her first album solo.

The collaborations with Campbell are prime examples of the negative side of her Heartbreakers fixation.

I like Insider and I Will Run to You a lot (SDMHA is too overplayed for me at this point) but I do see your point. I think her obsession with Tom's type of music and her desire to sound like him took away a lot of what made her special. I think most of Bella Donna was still well produced by Jimmy to sound unique to her but the rest of her albums not as much and it grew even moreso later on. But nothing captured the magic that she had on the FM white album through Gypsy on Mirage in my opinion. And I think that wasn't helped by the fact that after Bella Donna she saved all her 'best' songs in her eyes for her solo career.

DownOnRodeo 06-25-2018 12:05 AM

I Can't Wait

Featuring all your least favorite hits.

https://ibb.co/k3OpS8

sodascouts 06-25-2018 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1231655)
Featuring all your least favorite hits.

LOL! "I don't care... not my thing!" Stevie Nicks' other version of the coat. ;)

gldstwmn 06-25-2018 10:50 PM

I like Freedom, Blue Denim, Ghosts and My Heart (demo version). Is this really the complete list of Stevie/Mike songs? I thought there were more.
Edited to add: It looks like there's also Fire Burning and Greta.

sodascouts 06-25-2018 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gldstwmn (Post 1231716)
I like Freedom, Blue Denim, Ghosts and My Heart (demo version). Is this really the complete list of Stevie/Mike songs? I thought there were more.
Edited to add: It looks like there's also Fire Burning and Greta.

Thank you. I'm really embarrassed for starting this topic and putting up a list that was so incomplete, and I appreciate the help in putting that right. Once again, I'll go and edit that initial post.

Fire Burning? Horrible.

Greta? Not bad. Not great.

gldstwmn 06-25-2018 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts (Post 1231717)
Thank you. I'm really embarrassed for starting this topic and putting up a list that was so incomplete, and I appreciate the help in putting that right. Once again, I'll go and edit that initial post.

Fire Burning? Horrible.

Greta? Not bad. Not great.

I like Fire Burning. :shrug:

pryderi 06-26-2018 06:51 AM

Fire Burning / Imperial Hotel Top 10 Solo Stevie songs for sure. Ear candy perfection. Love how Stevie's real fire experience blossomed into this upbeat melodic creation. Imperial Hotel - Same glass table ..... killer song.

editme2 06-26-2018 01:21 PM

Until seeing this list, I never realized how much I dislike her collaborations with Mike Campbell..... "Imperial Hotel," "Fire Burning" and "Blue Denim" are pretty decent.... But all the rest are either meh or unlistenable in my humble opinion. Let's hope they both step up their game if they're going to collaborate on new Mac material.

golden braid 06-26-2018 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodascouts (Post 1231629)
But then I swing back to mitzo's opinion when Stevie goes beyond singing with Petty to being so obsessed that she wants to do several of his songs. I do not enjoy all the Petty covers. "Free Fallin'", "I Need to Know," and the ones she throws in live like "So You Want to Be a Rock'n'Roll Star"* and "You Wreck Me"... it's too much. You can't BE Tom Petty, Stevie.

*I realize "So You Want to Be a Rock'n'Roll Star" was not original to Petty but Stevie covered it due to the fact that his live version was so popular, included on his Pack Up the Plantation album.

When did Stevie sing "So You Want to Be a Rock'n'Roll Star?"

sodascouts 06-27-2018 12:11 AM

It looks like I'm also in the minority regarding my low opinion of "Fire Burning."

On the other side of that... I'm surprised there isn't more love for the high octane "Whole Lotta Trouble"! Stevie rocks it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by golden braid (Post 1231740)
When did Stevie sing "So You Want to Be a Rock'n'Roll Star?"

During the Two Voices tour. It was part of the encore with Henley.