The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Present Band (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   New Neil Finn Album "Lightsleeper" (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58059)

Sugar Mouse 09-09-2018 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1236235)
Those songs aren't doing much for me. I also played his 1998 album and there was no connection. If he has anything gutsier or experimental, can you point me in that direction? Also, I'd probably enjoy anything with a really delish hook, like Don't Dream It's Over. As for sound painting and experimenting, anything Kate Bush-y, like Leave It Open?

Neil's best work (in my opinion) are the following four albums:

1. Together Alone (some experimental rock)
2. Woodface (incredible songs)
3. 7 Worlds Collide Live at The St. James (one of the best live albums ever)
4. Everyone Is Here (perfect harmony rich pop rock with his brother Tim)

The most experimental albums of Neil's career are Dizzy Heights and the Pajama Club album. The Split Enz stuff was also experimental and edgy.

David 09-09-2018 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1236238)
This one always reminded me of Christine, something like “Remember Me.”

(Something So Strong)

Jeezo, Steve, I already know that song! I wasn't one of those people who didn't know who Neil Finn is when he joined Fleetwood. I knew the Crowded House hits in the eighties! I even liked them!

Angel75 09-10-2018 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1236238)
This one always reminded me of Christine, something like “Remember Me.”

I can't stand Something so Strong, it's a cheesy, dull radio song that Neil also dislikes greatly now and chooses not to play live, don't blame him :distress:

Sugar Mouse 09-10-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel75 (Post 1236262)
I can't stand Something so Strong, it's a cheesy, dull radio song that Neil also dislikes greatly now and chooses not to play live, don't blame him :distress:

Neil has never said that he dislikes "Something So Strong" and, in fact, Crowded House played the song during their most recent concert (November 27, 2016 at The Sydney Opera House).

Angel75 09-10-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse (Post 1236267)
Neil has never said that he dislikes "Something So Strong" and, in fact, Crowded House played the song during their most recent concert (November 27, 2016 at The Sydney Opera House).

I know for certain that I have read this, I have a good memory for this kind of thing and I am offended your alluding that I would make this up.

I do know he played it at their final concert, because he probably felt obliged to.

FuzzyPlum 09-10-2018 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse (Post 1236267)

Maybe you aren't Suger Mick afterall...but perhaps Sugar Neil.
No offence- just a light-hearted dig :D

But who knows ;)

Sugar Mouse 09-10-2018 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel75 (Post 1236281)
I know for certain that I have read this, I have a good memory for this kind of thing and I am offended your alluding that I would make this up.

I do know he played it at their final concert, because he probably felt obliged to.

I'd be fine if proven wrong but I would be shocked if Neil ever said that he didn't like "Something So Strong". Neil has often talked very positively about how Mitchell Froom helped craft the arrangement.

Angel75 09-11-2018 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse (Post 1236309)
I'd be fine if proven wrong but I would be shocked if Neil ever said that he didn't like "Something So Strong". Neil has often talked very positively about how Mitchell Froom helped craft the arrangement.

Then why say with certainty that I am wrong? Unless you personally know Neil (of which you should be honest about that now) or have asked him this question directly then surely you are in no more of a position to say this is true or not because as far as I can tell our knowledge of his career is much the same and it's highly possible I've read an interview or quote that you have not.

Angel75 09-11-2018 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1236283)
Maybe you aren't Suger Mick afterall...but perhaps Sugar Neil.

But who knows ;)

Trust me, Neil's a humble guy and wouldn't be so desperate to self promote or be hopelessly narcissistic so we can be sure that SM isn't him.

But there has to be some weird connection especially as he continued to preach for weeks the company line that LB was fired only because he wanted a one year tour delay despite Mick changing his story and KB confirming that the 'delay' was lies......