The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Anyone interested in Madonna's new album? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=49555)

Dodfather 01-18-2012 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 1036277)
I have a feeling I won't care for Madonna's upcoming work, but I still am interested to see what she has to say. What I heard of Hard Candy was a sonic abortion. Like Al said, Madonna really has seemed to of lost her touch post Ray Of Light. Though I will admit, Confessions On A Dance Floor is my single biggest guilty pleasure. :o

Agreed. I just didn't like that album at all, especially since it has the same title as a fantastic Counting Crows album from several years earlier! :confused::laugh:

Louie - After listening to it on spotify 3 times in a row last night I just bought Bedtime Stories. :nod: I really love this stage of her career and it's kind of been forgotten about.

Travis 01-18-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodfather (Post 1036252)
This thread has got me listening to Bedtime Stories. Such a great album. I have to thank louie for getting me back into this album a while ago!

Ahhh yes, Bedtime Stories - for me, that was the last full Madonna album I really enjoyed. I was not a fan of the "enlightened" Madonna so, Ray of Light did nothing for me. There have been a few gems here and there but I absolutely loved the Erotica and Bedtime Stories era. I'm sure it has a lot to do with me coming out then as well.

PolishStevieFan 01-18-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarmaContestant (Post 1036352)
Nothing Fails is a great song, from a great album. Mother & Father is another great track! Many don't like that album, but, well, it's bound to happen (it's one of my favorite Madonna albums - probably top 3).

Good to see somebody who also likes "American Life". I agree, it's one of her best but it takes more time to get into it. It's not insant musical gratification in the vein of albums such as "True Blue" or "Madonna", you have to sort of...dig deeper. But that's what fans really like to do :)

My Top 5 Madonna's albums are:
1. Erotica
2. American Life
3. Bedtime Stories
4. Confessions on a Dancefloor
5.Like a Prayer

TrueFaith77 01-18-2012 12:53 PM

I hear she collaborates with the music find of 2011: Sound of Arrows. So I'm intrigued.

louielouie2000 01-18-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodfather (Post 1036357)
Agreed. I just didn't like that album at all, especially since it has the same title as a fantastic Counting Crows album from several years earlier! :confused::laugh:

Louie - After listening to it on spotify 3 times in a row last night I just bought Bedtime Stories. :nod: I really love this stage of her career and it's kind of been forgotten about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis (Post 1036362)
Ahhh yes, Bedtime Stories - for me, that was the last full Madonna album I really enjoyed. I was not a fan of the "enlightened" Madonna so, Ray of Light did nothing for me. There have been a few gems here and there but I absolutely loved the Erotica and Bedtime Stories era. I'm sure it has a lot to do with me coming out then as well.

Bedtime Stories is far and away my fav Madonna album (of the ones I've heard). The whole slow transition from R&B to mystical existentialism is just genius to me. I also think the album is also probably Madonna's most lyrically honest, too. I just love Bedtime Stories... it's one of my all time fav albums, period. :nod:

PolishStevieFan 01-19-2012 02:58 AM

"Bedtime Stories" is truly one of the greatest albums that she's released. I love that Urban/R&B edge to it. And apart from #1 single "Take a Bow" there's a lot to enjoy, especially Bjork-written title track (a kind of introduction to the future "Ray of Light" electronica world), anthemic "Survival" and funky "Don't Stop". But "Erotica" is even better. I'm not gay yet that album's dance settings and lyrics provide me a great musical experience. Besides, it was my first Madonna's album ever, so I guess my opinion may have something to do with so called sentimentality :) "Where Life Begins"-my all time favourite song from that album, even with its raunchy lyrics :)

Dodfather 01-19-2012 03:36 AM

[QUOTE=PolishStevieFan;1036544But "Erotica" is even better.[/QUOTE]

Erotica is a great album. Bad Girl is particular is such a fantastic song. I think it's underrated even by Madonna herself, since it's not on GHV2. The video is also one of her best.

PolishStevieFan 01-19-2012 08:19 AM

You are absolutely right! "Bad Girl" is such a great song, one of her best ballads ever and she didn't even put it on "Something to Remember" (Ballads album). Who needs two bland versions of "I Want You"? Not me, anyway...:) I can see that Madonna depreciate a lot of her ballads. For example her #1 song "This Used To Be My Playground" didn't find its way on any compilation album. "You'll See"-another gem, has been rarely or never performed during her world tours. But going back to "Bad Girl"...My girlfriend loves this song to pieces! And not only because of the title...:) The lyrics are quite depressing but it only makes me want to go back to this song again and again. And maybe this is the reason why I appreaciate "American Life" album so much...the lyrics are simple yet memorable... And a song "I'm So Stupid" sounds like a sequel to "Bad Girl" lyrical content, at least for me...I don't know but I feel there's a kind of connection between these two songs.

Dodfather 01-19-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolishStevieFan (Post 1036555)
You are absolutely right! "Bad Girl" is such a great song, one of her best ballads ever and she didn't even put it on "Something to Remember" (Ballads album). Who needs two bland versions of "I Want You"? Not me, anyway...:) I can see that Madonna depreciate a lot of her ballads. For example her #1 song "This Used To Be My Playground" didn't find its way on any compilation album. "

Something To Remember
is my favourite Madonna album and yes, if Bad Girl replaced one of the version of I Want You the whole thing would have been absolutely perfect. This Used To Be My Playground is on it.

KarmaContestant 01-19-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 1036433)
Bedtime Stories is far and away my fav Madonna album (of the ones I've heard). The whole slow transition from R&B to mystical existentialism is just genius to me. I also think the album is also probably Madonna's most lyrically honest, too. I just love Bedtime Stories... it's one of my all time fav albums, period. :nod:

I can see that, and agree somewhat - but I'd choose American Life as her most lyrically honest and personal album. Songs like Mother & Father, Easy Ride, Nobody Knows Me, Nothing Fails, I'm So Stupid - I don't know what was really going on in her personal world at the time but it was definitely a hard time for her.

On another note, I gave Erotica a spin last night. I've forgotten how much I love Waiting and Thief of Hearts. "You'll do it, you'll take it. You'll screw it, you'll fake it." :laugh: Take that Annette Bening.

kathy1 01-19-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarmaContestant (Post 1036352)
Nothing Fails is a great song, from a great album. Mother & Father is another great track! Many don't like that album, but, well, it's bound to happen (it's one of my favorite Madonna albums - probably top 3).

Artists grow - they can't always stay the same or they get stale. Sometimes our tastes grow in the same direction as well, and sometimes not. Many of my favorites from even 10 years ago no longer hold any interest for me, but Madonna always manages to keep me interested. Hopefully this remains true!

Hard Candy has some great moments - Voices, Devil Wouldn't Recognize You, Give It To Me, Beat Goes On, Miles Away - all are great songs easily as good as her best classic material.

i am a fan so i will probably get it.

PolishStevieFan 01-20-2012 02:33 PM

I'm just listening to Madonna's "Ray of Light" and must say that it's impeccable set of music. I know that for many people this type of Techno/Electronica/Pop hybrid is too much but truly this album has got only better with time. I think it needs more time and patience to appreaciate but finally it'll display its beauty for the casual listener.

Travis 02-24-2012 10:24 AM

Madonna "party" at Omega DC :)

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2...donnaflier.jpg

Spoinny 02-24-2012 11:36 AM

CONFESSSIONS ON A DANCE FLOOR!! IMHO her BEST album (right up there with Ray of Light) and (so far) her absolute BEST tour. Madonna knows how to entertain!

tilthefirefades 02-27-2012 01:54 PM

So what does everyone here think?