The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   what do you think of 'you and i' ? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=9282)

Les 04-07-2003 12:05 PM

Re: I LOOOOOVE Part I

Quote:

Originally posted by ERigby818
Part II is a really awesome Lindsey-Christine collaboration. I heard an early demo of it where it's just her...and it doesn't say "You and I" in it anywhere. I guess that's Lindsey's addition. But it's cool...she's softly singing, "keep your heart open and your eyes shut tight."

It's always sort of interested me how "You and I, Part II" ended up with a Lindsey lead vocal, while Chris is on a demo as the lead, and "Mystified" ended up with a Christine lead vocal, while Lindsey is on a demo as the lead.

chiliD 04-07-2003 12:22 PM

Re: Re: I LOOOOOVE Part I

Quote:

Originally posted by Les
...and "Mystified" ended up with a Christine lead vocal, while Lindsey is on a demo as the lead.
Have an mp3 of that you'd be willing to share? ;)

I liked "You & I, Part 1" immediately, but it took a LONNNG time for Part 2 to grow on me. (mainly, it was the realization that Part 2 & "Soul Drifter" sound very similiar...and me LIKING "Soul Drifter" and not "You & I, Part 2")

Part 2, to me, has an almost "Christmas-y" feel to it; as though it should have Christmas related lyrics. :nod:

ricohv 04-07-2003 01:14 PM

Hey Chilli- I agree-I always thought Pt. II should be have Christmas lyrics or that it should have been a cartoons theme song. It just is a little too animated or kid like for my taste but I love Pt. 1, and see nothing in common of the two songs except the repitition of the "You & I"-which I guess is enough to give the songs a pt.I and pt.II.
*Ricoh*

tommer 04-07-2003 01:18 PM

i find both these tracks to be boring, pointless, and insignificant.
as for pt. 1- it's a classic B side, they didn't even include it on The Chain, no wonder why.
pt. 2 could have been less annoying if it was a B side as well or something like that, the problem is, that it's closing TITN.
i wondered many times just how could they come up with such an uninspired and lame finale' for such a triumphant musical effort. :distress:

Villavic 04-07-2003 02:03 PM

Part I.. MP3??

I liked PArt I a lot, but never found it on any CD. Is it included in any album? (available) CD single? Is it available to download? If you know tell me the site please

BlueGrass 04-07-2003 02:04 PM

Re: Re: I LOOOOOVE Part I

Quote:

Originally posted by Les
It's always sort of interested me how "You and I, Part II" ended up with a Lindsey lead vocal, while Chris is on a demo as the lead, and "Mystified" ended up with a Christine lead vocal, while Lindsey is on a demo as the lead.
How do you know that?

Les 04-07-2003 02:21 PM

Because I've heard them. :)

I'm pretty sure I've got the Mystified with Lindsey at home...can't remember if I've still got the You and I with Chris. I'll have to check. I can send it to you (and you too Chili) if you'd like when I get home from work.

Johnny Stew 04-07-2003 02:52 PM

I think they made the right decision in switching the lead vocalists on those two songs.
Lindsey sounds somewhat flat and seems to struggle to sing those high notes on the demo for "Mystified," and I think Christine's vocals were a little too airy on the "You And I, part 2" demo, which is already a fairly "bubblegum-pop" type track. Lindsey's voice on the album version gives it a bit more of an edge.

Of the two parts of "You And I"... I prefer Part 1, and wish they had been able to find a place for it on the album (though certainly not as a substitute for "When I See You Again!). :eek:
There may not be a lot going on lyrically, but it's just such a pretty song, and so moody. A very effective number, overall.

And even though I've previously expressed the opinion that Part 2 is light enough to defy gravity, I do still like the song quite a bit. They may have treaded a bit too far into Debbie Gibson territory, but it's certainly not without appeal.
My favorite lyric... "keep your heart open, and your eyes shut tight... what will be, will be."

stefan 04-07-2003 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Les
Because I've heard them. :)

I'm pretty sure I've got the Mystified with Lindsey at home...can't remember if I've still got the You and I with Chris. I'll have to check. I can send it to you (and you too Chili) if you'd like when I get home from work.

Hi Les, I too didn't know these songs exist in these versions. Would be glad, if you could send me the mp3 also! Thanks a lot, Stefan
my mail address:
stefan.jax@ruhr-uni-bochum.de

misterbug 04-07-2003 06:08 PM

if anybody would care to send me the lindsey mystified or the christine part I, i'd be grateful.

i can send anyone the mp3 of part I in return.

lemieuxp@bc.edu

rhianntp 04-07-2003 06:11 PM

wow I just heard part 1... very cool... so creative lindsey is in the studio ... this song is just about a feeling... very simple song... but can almost feel the passion in his vocals :)

BlueGrass 04-07-2003 06:11 PM

Yes you can reach me as Murrow86 or @ XxIncognito2K@aol.com

Thanks a lot

macmar71 04-07-2003 07:19 PM

A review of the Tango album here in a CT paper stated that You And I Part Two had the instrumental melody of March of The Wooden Soldiers which I always thought was an interesting comparison.

BlueGrass 04-09-2003 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by macmar71
A review of the Tango album here in a CT paper stated that You And I Part Two had the instrumental melody of March of The Wooden Soldiers which I always thought was an interesting comparison.
Huh, what is that?

CarneVaca 04-09-2003 02:37 PM

You and I, Part I is as comfortable as summer afternoon nap in the hammock. The swirly, dreamy soundscapes transport you to a restful place. It's a bubble bath. A dory bobbing in a summer breeze. A cup of lemon tea in late fall.

Peace