The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MIRAGE DELUXE Release date 7/29/16 and more... (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=56037)

lennonfan 10-07-2016 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1193259)
I FINALLY got my Mirage box set. I'm loving the alt tracks next is the 5.1 SS mix. I can only hope we see a Tango release with the same treatment soon. I'm loving this!!! These box sets are so much better then just releasing a remastered disc. Worth the wait!

oh yes! I agree with you! I can't stop playing the set...the surround mix is great and the regular stereo version never sounded better!

iamnotafraid 10-07-2016 09:45 PM

Quote:

I can only hope we see a Tango release with the same treatment soon.

As I mentioned in another thread. WBR has changed
the status of Tango just in the past week.

The same happened with Mirage just before the
deluxe issues were announced.

michelej1 10-08-2016 02:09 AM

Wired Magazine

https://www.wired.com/2016/10/what-w...-october-2016/

Fleetwood Mac’s Mirage brought the on-again, off-again band into the Reagan era, and now the classic 1982 album is getting a deluxe reissue that adds two discs of rare gold. A disc of demos covers early versions of every song on the album—a highlight is Christine McVie’s initial take of “Hold Me,” which had a traditional piano-rock chorus rather than the smooth, layered experimental totally ’80s vibe the final cut got. (I kinda like the piano-rock version better?) The third disc is a Mirage tour concert from the LA Forum that’s been circulating for years as a crappy bootleg. Nice to have it all cleaned up.—Chris Kohler

depp91 10-08-2016 06:23 AM

Just listened to the surround mix. It's great that many of the surround tracks run longer than on the original album :cool:

I think someone mentioned that the video version of Gypsy on disc 2 is cut short? That's it's not really the video version. But it runs 4:26 and that's how long the video is, isn't it? The version on The Chain box set was 5:21 I think, but that one was extended. The 5.1 mix runs 5:02, by the way.

Wdm6789 10-08-2016 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by depp91 (Post 1193313)
Just listened to the surround mix. It's great that many of the surround tracks run longer than on the original album :cool:

I think someone mentioned that the video version of Gypsy on disc 2 is cut short? That's it's not really the video version. But it runs 4:26 and that's how long the video is, isn't it? The version on The Chain box set was 5:21 I think, but that one was extended. The 5.1 mix runs 5:02, by the way.

Why isn't The Chain box set on iTunes?

jenniferuk 10-08-2016 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wdm6789 (Post 1193358)
Why isn't The Chain box set on iTunes?

I've no knowledge but my guess is that it is not available because (much of) the pre-rumours music isn't on iTunes. I know you've asked about this (iTunes & early music) before so why not buy the CDs and load them to your iTunes?
https://www.amazon.com/25-Years-Chai.../dp/B00822KWME

deribish 10-12-2016 08:12 AM

The 5.1 mixes of this album are astounding. If you have the box set -- but NOT a surround system, stick the 5.1 disc into you computer (I dont know if this will work on a PC -- but it does on a MAC.) Hit the "TITLE" button on the DVD controler and select either DTS or DOLBY SURROUND. This will unlock a compressed 5.1 mix that you can listen to on your stereo headphones. Some of it is wonky -- but some sound amazing. Try it out on Straight Back or Only over you for a competely different mix. I know not all of you can do that, so here's a quickie sample of the different instruments and mix http://derekbishop.net/straight51.mp3

jbrownsjr 10-12-2016 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deribish (Post 1193604)
The 5.1 mixes of this album are astounding. If you have the box set -- but NOT a surround system, stick the 5.1 disc into you computer (I dont know if this will work on a PC -- but it does on a MAC.) Hit the "TITLE" button on the DVD controler and select either DTS or DOLBY SURROUND. This will unlock a compressed 5.1 mix that you can listen to on your stereo headphones. Some of it is wonky -- but some sound amazing. Try it out on Straight Back or Only over you for a competely different mix. I know not all of you can do that, so here's a quickie sample of the different instruments and mix http://derekbishop.net/straight51.mp3

oh my!! post more!!

deribish 10-12-2016 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1193616)
oh my!! post more!!

i know!! it's amazing. thought i didnt think I could post too much since it's against Ledge policy to post commerically available tracks. But trust me... these sound AMAZING. (except for Book of Love and Gypsy that seem to have NO bottom/bass in the mix)

mylittledemon 10-12-2016 05:27 PM

Quote:

I FINALLY got my Mirage box set. I'm loving the alt tracks next is the 5.1 SS mix. I can only hope we see a Tango release with the same treatment soon. I'm loving this!!! These box sets are so much better then just releasing a remastered disc. Worth the wait!

I still haven't bought this set yet.... Feel like I'm missing out. :rolleyes: ;)

Nathan 10-12-2016 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deribish (Post 1193604)

Very cool, thanks! Works with some surround speakers hooked up to the Mac too.

iamnotafraid 10-12-2016 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 1193631)
I still haven't bought this set yet.... Feel like I'm missing out. :rolleyes: ;)

It's was $60 something dollars yesterday on Amazon
U.S. (not a third party).

At one time Amazon U.S. was selling the Rumours Deluxe
set for just over $40.

So far all I've done is "open" mine (Mirage).

michelej1 10-15-2016 10:16 PM

By Mark Lore, Chico News Review

This article was published on 10.13.16.

https://www.newsreview.com/chico/mir...t?oid=22464002

It was a strange time for Fleetwood Mac when it released Mirage in June 1982. The album came three years after the band’s excessive, coke-fueled double-LP Tusk. It was also the longest gap between albums for the band up to that time, a period filled with solo records from Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. The group entered the 1980s—after owning the decade prior—at a bit of a crossroads. To this day, Mirage stands in the shadow of Fleetwood Mac’s classic work. But the back-to-basics pop of “Love in Store,” “Gypsy” and “Book of Love” is as good as anything they’ve done. This reissue deluxe set—in particular the disc of demos minus the gloss and layered harmonies (“Empire State” is especially good)—will also remind listeners that, while Fleetwood Mac’s music has come in and out of vogue, the band’s influence on modern rock will always be enormous.

HomerMcvie 10-16-2016 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotafraid (Post 1193661)
It's was $60 something dollars yesterday on Amazon
U.S. (not a third party).

At one time Amazon U.S. was selling the Rumours Deluxe
set for just over $40.

So far all I've done is "open" mine (Mirage).

Holy crap, I'd been stalking this one on eBay, because it was $29 for a bit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLEETWOOD-MA...torefresh=true

$77 plus $6 shipping? FML.

iamnotafraid 10-16-2016 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1193859)
Holy crap, I'd been stalking this one on eBay, because it was $29 for a bit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLEETWOOD-MA...torefresh=true

$77 plus $6 shipping? FML.

Mine's still sitting a few feet away from me unplayed.

I do hope Mirage's vinyl sounds better than the one
that came with the Rumours deluxe set. It was bad!

sanders8323 10-19-2016 08:29 AM

Wow, that 5.1 mix of Straight Back is like a completely new song. Here's something I don't get though, are all of those extra vocals and instruments on the regular album cut and you just can't hear them? Or were they just mixed in especially for the surround mix?

deribish 10-19-2016 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanders8323 (Post 1194062)
Wow, that 5.1 mix of Straight Back is like a completely new song. Here's something I don't get though, are all of those extra vocals and instruments on the regular album cut and you just can't hear them? Or were they just mixed in especially for the surround mix?

I think it's a little of both. Based on what Ken & Lindsey said during the Rumours 5.1 interviews, it was pretty much about "how much sound you can fit into a 2 speaker (stereo) mix and still have the song not feel crowded." I think the 5.1 and all those extra chanels allow them to open up the mix and turn up vocals and intruments that were either burried deep in the stereo mix -- or just bring in takes and tracks that werent used becuase there just wasnt room in the mix for them.

iamnotafraid 10-19-2016 10:05 PM

The DVD 5.1 (I chose DTS) was astounding.

For those on the fence this is the disc that
makes it all worthwhile. Just as the Tusk
5.1 DVD.

lennonfan 10-23-2016 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deribish (Post 1194063)
I think it's a little of both. Based on what Ken & Lindsey said during the Rumours 5.1 interviews, it was pretty much about "how much sound you can fit into a 2 speaker (stereo) mix and still have the song not feel crowded." I think the 5.1 and all those extra chanels allow them to open up the mix and turn up vocals and intruments that were either burried deep in the stereo mix -- or just bring in takes and tracks that werent used becuase there just wasnt room in the mix for them.

absolutely!

Andrew Smith 10-25-2016 04:59 PM

I've just watched the "Live At The Forum" concert from 1982, which is featured on the Super Deluxe of Mirage (audio CD only).

Is it just me or did Stevie forget half the lyrics to Rhiannon?

I realise that she was probably off her face at the time. She was much better when she performed that track in 2015 in London, when I saw them live.

jbrownsjr 10-25-2016 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1194440)
I've just watched the "Live At The Forum" concert from 1982, which is featured on the Super Deluxe of Mirage (audio CD only).

Is it just me or did Stevie forget half the lyrics to Rhiannon?

I realise that she was probably off her face at the time. She was much better when she performed that track in 2015 in London, when I saw them live.

I think she forgot the lyrics the most. But to her credit, sometimes the lyrics she made up were very cool.

Andrew Smith 10-26-2016 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1194461)
I think she forgot the lyrics the most. But to her credit, sometimes the lyrics she made up were very cool.

Also, Lindsey sang some parts of Sisters Of The Moon which he didn't do on the studio version from Tusk.

I wondered if he took over on vocals because he knew that Stevie was having trouble remembering the lyrics. Obviously, I know the reasons as to why she seemed in such a state at that time.

bwboy 10-26-2016 06:07 PM

Stevie doesn't seem out of her mind on drugs on this video. At all. I personally feel she hammed it up in this performance, and her change of lyrics was the result.

lbfan 10-26-2016 06:16 PM

LB on Sisters of the Moon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1194691)
Also, Lindsey sang some parts of Sisters Of The Moon which he didn't do on the studio version from Tusk.

I wondered if he took over on vocals because he knew that Stevie was having trouble remembering the lyrics. Obviously, I know the reasons as to why she seemed in such a state at that time.

I believe he sang that same part previously on the Mirage tour. I seem to recall him singing that verse in a Bob Dylan voice (I think it was the Memphis show).

sanders8323 10-27-2016 11:31 AM

He actually sang that part in Sisters of the Moon, I think, on every Mirage tour performance.

Stevie's tendency to change the lyrics I don't believe was her forgetting the lyrics at all. She quite often would improvise lyrics or change them up depending on where she was in her life at the time or just based on her mood that day. Alot of times she would sing lyrics that were in the demo versions of the song but did not make it on the album, like in Sara and Sisters of the Moon.

jbrownsjr 10-27-2016 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanders8323 (Post 1194784)
He actually sang that part in Sisters of the Moon, I think, on every Mirage tour performance.

Stevie's tendency to change the lyrics I don't believe was her forgetting the lyrics at all. She quite often would improvise lyrics or change them up depending on where she was in her life at the time or just based on her mood that day. Alot of times she would sing lyrics that were in the demo versions of the song but did not make it on the album, like in Sara and Sisters of the Moon.

Oh she definitely forgets lyrics.

I knew him another way
I knew him another day
In some ways he'd forgotten me
In many ways he got to me
I turned away so he couldn't see
I turned away... it could never be
I never thought he could walk away
But I lost him again... yesterday

She had that written down on stage because she'd mess this up so much.
I do like what she makes up, sometimes. She's creative in her misses.

Andrew Smith 10-29-2016 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1194786)
Oh she definitely forgets lyrics.

I knew him another way
I knew him another day
In some ways he'd forgotten me
In many ways he got to me
I turned away so he couldn't see
I turned away... it could never be
I never thought he could walk away
But I lost him again... yesterday

She had that written down on stage because she'd mess this up so much.
I do like what she makes up, sometimes. She's creative in her misses.

I didn't notice it with Sisters Of The Moon, only on Rhiannon. I feel she could've done better at the time. Thankfully, when she did Rhiannon last year in London it was ten times better. No mistakes at all.

bombaysaffires 10-29-2016 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1194702)
Stevie doesn't seem out of her mind on drugs on this video. At all. I personally feel she hammed it up in this performance, and her change of lyrics was the result.

Really? One word comes to mind: coke. Especially on Sisters.

bwboy 10-30-2016 08:13 AM

I guess comparing the Mirage video to Stevie's Red Rocks video, the cocaine use is much more evident in Red Rocks. Her gibberish in Sisters sounds deliberate, for example. But note the way Stevie is totally lost during Red Rocks, specifically when she almost missed her cue to start singing Dreams- she was out of it! She doesn't come across lost or confused on Mirage.

jbrownsjr 10-30-2016 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1195163)
Really? One word comes to mind: coke. Especially on Sisters.

And even if she's coked out.. She performs with a special intensity..

HomerMcvie 10-30-2016 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1195251)
And even if she's coked out.. She performs with a special intensity..

It's too bad she lost her connections.

BombaySapphire3 10-30-2016 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1195206)
I guess comparing the Mirage video to Stevie's Red Rocks video, the cocaine use is much more evident in Red Rocks. Her gibberish in Sisters sounds deliberate, for example. But note the way Stevie is totally lost during Red Rocks, specifically when she almost missed her cue to start singing Dreams- she was out of it! She doesn't come across lost or confused on Mirage.

The "gibberish " in the Mirage video in SOTM was her version of "speaking in tongues'

Nathan 10-30-2016 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1195269)
It's too bad she lost her connections.

I bet she could still drum something up.

jbrownsjr 10-30-2016 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 (Post 1195271)
The "gibberish " in the Mirage video in SOTM was her version of "speaking in tongues'

I loved when she does that. So good!

HomerMcvie 10-31-2016 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1195273)
I loved when she does that. So good!

The height of her game. Of all their games, actually. We've been sliding downhill since 1982! FOL...

jbrownsjr 11-01-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1195280)
The height of her game. Of all their games, actually. We've been sliding downhill since 1982! FOL...

I think Stevie did the first fall. The rest sort of hung in there. Quality vs Sales.. this is..

jbrownsjr 11-01-2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1195280)

I think Stevie did the first fall. The rest sort of hung in there. Quality vs Sales.. that is..

HomerMcvie 11-01-2016 09:17 PM

I heard you the first time.

jbrownsjr 11-01-2016 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1195460)
I heard you the first time.

haha.. I didn't even know what you were talking about.. 'til I looked.

HomerMcvie 11-01-2016 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1195472)
haha.. I didn't even know what you were talking about.. 'til I looked.

I'll be here all week. Try the veal...