The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rolling Stone streaming "Feel About You" (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57121)

AlexD 05-01-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 (Post 1208713)
Yes, that was that album's failing. Along with the fact that it doesn't follow my preferred tracklist.

For my taste, the album is way overproduced. The live versions of the SWS songs we heard from Saban Theatre are a lot more exciting.

dontlookdown 05-01-2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer (Post 1208705)
Ugh, it's too much like Love In Store for me. I have never gotten the appreciation for that song. To me, it's far from Christine's capabilities, as is Feel About You.

Here's hoping they released the commercial garbage first and the rest of the album is better. :)

I've always thought it's one of Christine's best recorded songs. Not because of the lyrics, but because of the melody, the chord progression, the production and the harmonies. It works for the same reason the best songs on Pet Sounds and Revolver work. Try it loud with good headphones -- not earbuds.

jbrownsjr 05-01-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontlookdown (Post 1208720)
I've always thought it's one of Christine's best recorded songs. Not because of the lyrics, but because of the melody, the chord progression, the production and the harmonies. It works for the same reason the best songs on Pet Sounds and Revolver work. Try it loud with good headphones -- not earbuds.

I have a really nice system in my car.. and it thumps! Believe it or not.. and the steel drums really sound real.

TrueFaith77 05-01-2017 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexD (Post 1208714)
For my taste, the album is way overproduced. The live versions of the SWS songs we heard from Saban Theatre are a lot more exciting.

Overproduced or poorly produced?

AlexD 05-01-2017 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 (Post 1208725)
Overproduced or poorly produced?

Maybe both?

jbrownsjr 05-01-2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexD (Post 1208729)
Maybe both?

I can't get into that album. Much like IYD.. Doesn't flow right.

AlexD 05-01-2017 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1208730)
I can't get into that album. Much like IYD.. Doesn't flow right.

Same. I really try to, but just can't. I like the new material a lot though. I feel like I get what they're going for this time haha

jbrownsjr 05-01-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexD (Post 1208731)
Same. I really try to, but just can't. I like the new material a lot though. I feel like I get what they're going for this time haha

I better hear some solos...

TrueFaith77 05-01-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexD (Post 1208731)

I rarely re-structure albums as a matter of principle, but this is how I just have to play SWS (removing SWS (acoustic), One Take, She Smiled Sweetly, adding SWS (electric) and SATC (bonus))). The first half is up-tempo bangers; second half is sublime melodiousness. In this form, it rivals all of his solo albums for me, instead of ranking a dead last.

1."Seeds We Sow" (electric) - Amazon MP3 download - 3:57
2."Sleeping Around the Corner" - iTunes download - 3:33
3."In Our Own Time" - 4:20
4."Illumination" - 2:19
5."That's the Way That Love Goes" - 3:56
6."Stars Are Crazy" (Lindsey Buckingham, Lisa Dewey) - 4:50
7."When She Comes Down" - 4:48
8."Rock Away Blind" - 3:57
9."Gone Too Far" - 3:24
10."End of Time" - 3:57

secondhandchain 05-01-2017 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1208732)
I better hear some solos...

When's the last time you heard a guitar solo in a pop song? I think his others will have plenty.

jbrownsjr 05-01-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondhandchain (Post 1208736)
When's the last time you heard a guitar solo in a pop song? I think his others will have plenty.

1987!!! lol

lilyfee 05-01-2017 06:43 PM

I'm not into the bubbly pop vibe. I think Christine sounds great but the song is seriously reminiscent of an advertising jingle. As with In My World, a catchy chorus could not save the uninspired lyrics. This is a song I'd believe Christine wrote about her dog. :shrug: Like In My World, it is growing on me, however I think that is more indicative of my loyalty to these individuals than the quality of the song.

WatchChain 05-01-2017 08:00 PM

.......Meh......

wheart 05-01-2017 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyfee (Post 1208746)
I'm not into the bubbly pop vibe. I think Christine sounds great but the song is seriously reminiscent of an advertising jingle. As with In My World, a catchy chorus could not save the uninspired lyrics. This is a song I'd believe Christine wrote about her dog. :shrug: Like In My World, it is growing on me, however I think that is more indicative of my loyalty to these individuals than the quality of the song.

Feist's song "1,2,3,4" was in fact an advertising jingle and went on to become a moderate hit. Sounding like an advertising jingle isn't necessarily a bad thing, nor are dumb lyrics. Listen to the majority of the garbage in the top 40. Bad lyrics = big hits.

I do hope this song gets some traction. It deserves it. I have to wonder how it would fare if it were recorded by a younger and more popular artist like Ed Sheeran. The production reminds me a little of Shape of You, although I cannot stand that song.

brad975 05-02-2017 12:27 PM

They had tried to convince Stevie to do this album since 2014. She was surely played some of the tracks during their lengthy tour, and she was surely willing to listen to determine whether or not to proceed with the project.

We'll have to see whether she made the right call on not participating. As the first FM collection with the full classic lineup since 1987, an album with Stevie arguably would have had to live up to higher standards than SYW.

And what I've heard so far doesn't lead me to believe this album would be even as good as that. And given that Stevie doesn't sound so great either these days (or write that well), I'm not sure a few songs from her would have helped it much.

The 10-track length suggests they were saving space for Stevie. Or maybe they held some songs back in the hopes that Stevie might participate in a future album in the next year or two

Say you will, Stevie? Or skip it and make 24K-2.