The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Live at Bass Hall - March 11, 2008 DVD Release (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=35098)

LINDSEY#1FAN 03-27-2008 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gretchen (Post 748570)
They should have filmed the thing in Chicago!!!!!!

I am with you 100% on that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nod:

DavidMn 03-27-2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LINDSEY#1FAN (Post 748574)
I am with you 100% on that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nod:

Which one. Park West or HOB?

Peestie 03-27-2008 05:42 PM

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:3zftxzwjldde

Quote:

Review by Thom Jurek

This double-disc package by Lindsey Buckingham, guitarist, songwriter, producer, and principal musical architect of Fleetwood Mac's multi-platinum-selling sound, contains a live DVD of concert performances with a bonus documentary, plus a CD that includes all but one of the performances on the DVD. The material ranges from tunes on his last solo album, the brilliant Under the Skin, as well as Fleetwood Mac nuggets, and a choice track or two from his other solo offerings. His band features second guitarist Neale Heywood, drummer Takuya "Taku" Hirano, and bassist/keyboardist Brett Tuggle. Lindsay Vannoy plays additional keyboards on some cuts. Things begin quietly enough with "Not to Late," the opener from Under the Skin, followed by "Trouble" from 1981's Law and Order. These are stark and deeply emotive performances. They are not accompanied, but Buckingham's custom designed electro-acoustic guitar is front and center with that stunning voice of his. "Never Going Back Again," from the Mac's Rumours follows this and it too is played solo. This is a deeply personal and moving performance of this song. Things remain in familiar territory with a full band performance of "Second Hand News," but it needs to be stated that without those trademark Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie backing vocals, it's a bit stark and half-baked. When Buckingham goes back to playing his solo material, the passion returns in spades. "Cast Away Dreams" drifts in to the heart of the listener and hangs there, revealing the brokenness in its lyric. This follows in the sprightly, rhythmic "It Was You." The way the back and forth vocals work, staggered slightly and tightly arranged, is as sophisticated as pop/rock gets. Mac fans get fine readings of "Big Love," and "Go Your Own Way," (and on the DVD they get "Tusk" as well). But what Buckingham is trying to show on this excellent set is that he's an artisan in his own right and always has been. His solo written material is as fine as anything he wrote for the band. In fact, one becomes aware of just how deep and wide his talents as a writer, performer, and arranger go on his own. If anything, Live at the Bass Performance Hall is a stellar introduction to a man who has been in our midst for more than three decades, and has been all but ignored as an artist in his own right. This excellent set will hopefully go some way toward righting that wrong.
4 Stars

tdfwiner 03-27-2008 06:53 PM

looks like it's doing pretty well in sales, #1 in live albums and #29 in pop on amazon. also, if anyone hasn't gotten it yet, Borders has it on sale for $19.99.

DavidMn 03-27-2008 06:58 PM

Circuit City is selling it for $16.99. I dont know how long that special lasts though. If you print out the Circuit City ad and bring it to Best Buy, they'll match it. Thats what I did.:) Oh and the 16.99 price is for both the DVD and CD!

MacMan 03-27-2008 07:01 PM

Picked up mine today... watched the doc. Very good! Like Michelle, I love the fact that the videos were included here...

For those that have seen it already - when he's talking on the phone with presumably his manager about signing to a label and shopping the album around and all the rejections he seemed to be getting, I'm assuming this was ahead of and for the release for Under The Skin - before he ended up settling with Reprise right?

tdfwiner 03-27-2008 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 (Post 748492)
Lindsey could have gone onstage and shot someone in the face, he could have set his guitar and the entire Bass Hall on fire...that audience wouldn't have budged. They were THAT dead. I'm NOT kidding. It wasn't on the DVD, but before GYOW, Lindsey was looking up into the balcony and saying "Get up!" and I remember turning around the throwing my hands up and going "GET UP!" too.

It was sad really. I HATE seeing concerts in North Texas...they suck. Lindsey was amazing that night...the audience was horrid. :distress: When you have a big vortex of suck, it's hard to get in the mood.

If he'd recorded the DVD in another city where the audience was amazing....it would have been 100 times better. The crowd makes a difference.

I mentioned it before, they should have filmed one of the concerts with general admission standing in front of the stage instead of seating. I went to the concert in Falls Church (I think it was the third show on the tour) and it was open in front of the stage and everyone was packed right up to the stage like at a normal rock show and it was awesome, people moving around, getting into the music, etc. Went to the show a couple of months later in Baltimore and they had reserved seating in front of the stage and the audience was dead, sitting there snacking silently on chicken fingers and stuff like they were at a movie or something. The performance was great but it was definitely one of the lamest shows I've ever been to. If the artist can stand, so can the audience.

michelej1 03-27-2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacMan (Post 748595)
For those that have seen it already - when he's talking on the phone with presumably his manager about signing to a label and shopping the album around and all the rejections he seemed to be getting, I'm assuming this was ahead of and for the release for Under The Skin - before he ended up settling with Reprise right?

Yes, I think so. Although when he said he was a free agent, it sounded eerily like that last interview from this week, where he said he was a free agent too.

Michele

MacMan 03-27-2008 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 748599)
Yes, I think so. Although when he said he was a free agent, it sounded eerily like that last interview from this week, where he said he was a free agent too.

Michele

That' what confused me - remember what he JUST said about being free... It appears even after he settled with Reprise, the deal never ended up getting any sweeter, since in that first phone call it sounded like Reprise was willing to sign him, but they weren't going to do anything for him - and again I'm assuming that's promotional wise... Cause if that's what he/they were talking about, they sure stuck to the deal by not really doing anything for him, promotional wise (in a big way).

DavidMn 03-27-2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdfwiner (Post 748598)
Baltimore

I was trying to forget that show.....:laugh: It was very interesting having been at the Asheville show the night before, after that show I remember telling my friend who also went with me to Baltimore the next night that after a kickass show like that there would be a letdown. BOY WAS I RIGHT! The crowd certainly didnt help either. When Lindsey went down for the GYOW fan/guitar playing thing, NO ONE STOOD UP to play it except Pattie. Thank god there was at least one fan down there who gave a ****!

LiamMcConville 03-27-2008 10:05 PM

Being advertised on MySpace:

Photobucket

mylittledemon 03-28-2008 12:18 AM

I'm still sorely disappointed that Turn It On wasnt on the DVD...and moreso that he's not doing "Street of Dreams" or some other fantastic solo track thats been buried in the backlog of material.

Nico 03-28-2008 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittledemon (Post 748652)
I'm still sorely disappointed that Turn It On wasnt on the DVD...and moreso that he's not doing "Street of Dreams" or some other fantastic solo track thats been buried in the backlog of material.

Perhaps this is what we should be "flooding" his Q & A emails with. If Lindsey does tour again, I think he should know how much his songs on "Cradle" mean to all of us and how wonderful it would be to hear more of them live. Not only that, more L & O obscure stuff, like Bwana or Mary Lee Jones. And I'm not kidding when I say that I'd absolutely die to hear "Go Insane" stuff played somewhat the way it does on record. I am smitten with the acoustic versions of this and that, love them, but I'm crazy for the way songs like I Want You, I Must Go, and Slow Dancing sound the way they are- and it would be incredible to see him play those as well.

I know I've drifted somewhat away from your original point, but now that there is a possibility of a new album/new tour I'd like to throw my wishes out there in hopes.

LINDSEY#1FAN 03-28-2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMn (Post 748576)

I would have to say Park West !!!! :nod:

gretchen 03-28-2008 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMn (Post 748576)

PARK WEST!!!!!!
But I would have loved to have been at that Asheville show, I'm guessing it was magical...and the Philly show, christ that boot is so amazing...that should have been filmed too, it's also got that funny undie exchange thing between Linds, Brett & Neale...hahaha.