PDA

View Full Version : Fave Danny songs...

wondergirl9847
02-25-2003, 06:25 PM
Hey folks!! Many of ya'll know, I love me some Danny!! :nod: Why not give a listing of your fave DK songs. I won't say top 10 or whatever, because everyone always feels restricted that way. LOL Just put ALL the ones you could listen to for eternity and never get sick of! Although, I'm restricting myself to 10 songs. :laugh: Comment on them too if ya wanna! I love them ALL so much, it's hard to pick my ultimate faves...but those first three in all caps...are my ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE FAVES!!!

1. BARE TREES (OMG, this song is too great, I HAVE to go get my CD and listen to it RIGHT NOW!! You can so easily groove to this song, it's SO much FUN to listen to!! The riff towards the end and beginning too...SO COOL!!!!!!!!!!! Simple lyrics, AWESOME music!!)

2. WOMAN OF A 1000 YEARS (Oh, the melody of this one KILLS me!! His voice is beautiful on the song...and I love the lyrics even tho I don't have a clue what the song means!! LOL Anyone care to enlighten this idiot? Soothing song.....)

3. COMING YOUR WAY (This song frickin ROCKS!!! It's a FUN song and I love the melody of the guitar on it!! It's very Hawaiian sounding!!)

4. Child of Mine (This song reminds me of another, but I cannot for the life of me think of which one!! LOL This one ROCKS and it's a great opener for Bare Trees!! The guitar is GREATNESS!!!)

5. Dust (Wow, how heartbreakingly meloncholy is THIS song? LOL I love it tho and it's just beautiful!)

6. Like Crying (I love the part where DK and PG harmonize at the VERY beginning..."She's got so much blues, her best friend can't help her-er-er..." LOL LOVE THAT PART!! Very countrified guitar playing...)

7. Sands of Time (What an EPIC!!! Love the guitar on this one!!)

8. Dragonfly (seteca..*wink* LOL) What a trippy song!! That opening riff...wierd!!!

9. One Sunny Day (This is a rocker, for sure!! Great guitar melody on this!!)

10. Although the Sun is Shining (Very pretty song, pretty melody.)

I didn't include instrumentals on this...for no good reason than I just didn't want to. :shrug::laugh:

macfan 57
02-26-2003, 07:56 AM
1)Dust(easily my favorite, I love this song)
2)Station Man
3)Like Crying
4)Sometimes
5)Coming Your Way
6)Child Of Mine
7)Sands Of Time

I have to mention Sunny Side Of Heaven too, even though it's an instrumental.:) I also just love Danny's singing voice. I think he had the best singing voice of any male member of Fleetwood Mac.

chiliD
02-26-2003, 10:04 AM
I like 'em ALL...well...except "When You Say". But, the ones that first hit me when I think about Danny are:

1) Sunny Side Of Heaven
2) One Sunny Day
3) Coming Your Way
4) Without You
5) Woman Of 1000 Years
6) Station Man
7) Tell Me All The Things You Do
8 ) Like It This Way
9) Jigsaw Puzzle Blues
10) Sands Of Time

"Bonus":

Child Of Mine
Something Inside Of Me
Dust
My Dream
World In Harmony (THE great PG/DK collaboration)
When I See My Baby

becca
02-26-2003, 01:57 PM
I am really enjoying Silver Streams, Hot Summer Day, Love Can Always Bring You Happiness, Lovely Days, even When You Say, and am letting the other two solo albums grow on me. Most of it is really peaceful and understated yet still musically complex.

I'm sure Dust is an old poem he adapted and set to music. Quite grim subject, so I feel a bit uneasy playing it if someone else is listening. I wish Danny could get better whether he writes or records again or not because I really appreciate the positive vibes from his old stuff.

I guess my overall favorite is going to be My Dream. I haven't come across Like It this Way before.

chiliD
02-26-2003, 02:23 PM
Different versions of "Like It This Way" are on the Blues Jam At Chess and the Live At The Boston Tea Party (aka "Boston Box". Great guitar interplay between Greeny & Kirwan.

wetcamelfood
02-26-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by becca
I'm sure Dust is an old poem he adapted and set to music.

You're right, according to Samuel Graham's "The authorized history of FM" book, he refers to "Dust" using the "opening stanzas of Rupert Brooke's poem" (though he doesn't say what the poem is called, I assume "Dust" but not sure, any RB fans here?! :) )

As long as I'm here, yeah I agree, DK's solo stuff needs a few listens (for many people) but it'll definitely work on you the more you get to know the tunes. :)

As for his FM stuff, I like 'em all too but just to list some here, I'll say one that hit me right away when I heard it and another one from the same album that grew on me and I really enjoy just as much now:

ER: "One sunny day" (right away), "Without you" (grower)
TPO: "Coming your way" (right away), "My dream" (grower)
KH: "Station man" (right away), "Earl Grey" (grower)
FG: "Woman of 1000 years" (right away), "Sands of time" (grower)
BT: "Bare trees" (right away), "Dust" (grower)

It's amazing how high the musical standard Danny had throughout and this doesn't even touch on the "unofficial but legal" stuff, odds and ends, B-sides etc. which was (and are) just as good AND the standard STAYED high through the transformation of FM from a trad blues band through to their pop/rock (or whatver you want t call it) phase! GREAT stuff! I hope Danny conquers his demons someday too. :)

John

Cristian
03-01-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
You're right, according to Samuel Graham's "The authorized history of FM" book, he refers to "Dust" using the "opening stanzas of Rupert Brooke's poem"I still think it's a fantastic song... Danny does a very moving lead vocal and the main subject is quite beautiful, plus he plays a beautiful guitar. It could be my favorite Danny/FM song if it wasn't for "Woman Of A 1000 Years" (mystical & sweet) and "Sunny Side Of Heaven" (soft & tender)... then I'd have to mention "Jigsaw Puzzle Blues", "Bare Trees" and "Station Man". :)

Song of the moment - Peacekeeper

wetcamelfood
03-01-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Cristian
I still think it's a fantastic song... Danny does a very moving lead vocal and the main subject is quite beautiful, plus he plays a beautiful guitar. It could be my favorite Danny/FM song if it wasn't for "Woman Of A 1000 Years" (mystical & sweet) and "Sunny Side Of Heaven" (soft & tender)... then I'd have to mention "Jigsaw Puzzle Blues", "Bare Trees" and "Station Man". :)[/i]

I agree. :)

John