PDA

View Full Version : Enough leftovers for a solo album?

chiliD
02-03-2003, 02:52 PM
Against my better judgement AND my clairvoyant visions of the recent past, there's nearly enough material leftover for Lindsey to actually release a solo album after all this Fleetwood Mac hoo-ha.

Gift Of Screws
My Little Demon
Try For The Sun
Twist Of Fate
Down On Rodeo
Gotta Get Away
She Smiled Sweetly
Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind
The Singer Not The Song
Shuffle Riff
Wear You Down
Blue Turns To Grey

12 songs...nothing to sneeze at! :laugh:

Ooops! And, thanks to Carne's reminder:

Given Thing

ACK!!! And, I totally forgot the song that initiated my thought process to even START this thread:

Deep Dense

So there's now 14 songs!!!

Mac Fan
02-03-2003, 03:09 PM
Yeah, 12 should be enough.

stefan
02-03-2003, 03:11 PM
Yeah and it could be finished and released for sure in March 2009. :laugh:

CarneVaca
02-03-2003, 03:14 PM
Don't forget Given Thing, which is a great little number. And there's gotta be another handful of songs he's been working on.

BlueGrass
02-03-2003, 04:35 PM
Yeah, vut we got em. By the time Linds will get around to release an album I will want all new stuff. Not music I've been listening to for 10 years.

sodascouts
02-03-2003, 05:07 PM
I would be THRILLED if these made an album sometime, even if it's just some promotional thing like SGCYM wound up on.

Try For The Sun
Down On Rodeo
The Singer Not The Song
Shuffle Riff
Wear You Down
Deep Dense

I mean, DD was my favorite... I'm trying to remain positive, however. Gotta pretend like I never heard that rockin' song.

P.S. BlueGrass, are you gonna change your sig now that you know that "heal the wounds if I can get you to dance" was actually written by Stevie? Or is it now unworthy to be in the sig at all? ;)

seteca
02-03-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by chiliD
Against my better judgement AND my clairvoyant visions of the recent past, there's nearly enough material leftover for Lindsey to actually release a solo album after all this Fleetwood Mac hoo-ha.

Haha...I crossed over to the LB forum to start this very topic and I see you beat me to it!

Yes, absolutely, I think that there is plenty of good music there for another album. Lindsey would yet again have to make the decision of whether to use the Fleetwood Mac machine to release it, or whether to be brave and go solo!

Up until this morning before I checked The Ledge I was certain that this would be the last album we ever see from Fleetwood Mac, and would probably be the last set of songs officially released in album-form from Lindsey Buckingham.

Now I see that there are 14 very, very (potentially) good songs left, and I have hope they will one day be part of another album.

Wasn't there something said a while ago about the Rolling Stones actually contributing to the album?? How annoying would it be if the songs they contributed to were finished and were to never see the light of day!!

How amazing would it be if this happened:

FM Album release-->tour part 1-->2nd FM( or maybe LB) album release-->tour part 2 (with songs from the second album release being worked into the setlist!)

I know you were saying this (or something like this) as a hopeful idea for a while now ChiliD, but suddenly it seems that it could be a real possibility!:nod:

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

BlueGrass
02-03-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by sodascouts

P.S. BlueGrass, are you gonna change your sig now that you know that "heal the wounds if I can get you to dance" was actually written by Stevie? Or is it now unworthy to be in the sig at all? ;)

Yeah, but if you watch the doc they got Lindsey singing those lines.

jwys_soapbox
02-03-2003, 09:27 PM
Let's not forget Big Yellow Taxi--that's 15.

I was thinking the same thing a while back when it was confirmed a single CD. If Lindsey were smart he'd release it AT MOST a year after the tour. Give or take a couple of months, that's what Stevie doing with her FM stuff after her last album.

Another idea is for FM to release another CD. U2 released Achtung Baby and almost exactly a year later they got out Zooropa--those CDs are so similar that you could call them a set.

John

CarneVaca
02-05-2003, 09:39 AM
ACK!!! And, I totally forgot the song that initiated my thought process to even START this thread:

Deep Dense

So there's now 14 songs!!! [/QUOTE]

ACK!!! indeed. I can't believe that song is cut. Great guitar work, wonderful percussion at the end. This would have been a great album closer.

ACK!!!

chiliD
02-05-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by jwys_soapbox
Another idea is for FM to release another CD. U2 released Achtung Baby and almost exactly a year later they got out Zooropa--those CDs are so similar that you could call them a set.

With Achtung Baby getting the GOOD songs, Zooropa getting the leftover crap. :nod: (Sorry, I HATED Zooropa, but LOVED Achtung Baby )

hayley
02-05-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by chiliD
With Achtung Baby getting the GOOD songs, Zooropa getting the leftover crap. :nod: (Sorry, I HATED Zooropa, but LOVED Achtung Baby )

Zooropa is great!! Not as accessible as Achtung, but still great. Achtung is by far my favorite U2 record, but Zooropa is a close second- such great songs- Lemon, Dirty Day, Numb, Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car, The Wanderer, and Stay.

ESPECIALLY Stay! Stay is my favorite U2 song of all time. I think it's their best ballad- so underrated and forgotten, but excellent. And Lemon- especially live, the way it was done in the ZooTV live broadcast- so great.

If FM put out a quickie second album that was close, quality wise, in any way to Zooropa, I'd be a happy girl ;)

Skylark
02-05-2003, 08:47 PM
:wavey: Thanks Chilli D;)...You make my heart very very HAPPY :laugh:
as you "know" things!!! Can...Say Goodbye be 15 or 16?;)
This is such FUN! Lindsey EXCITEMENT at LAST!!! haha!Sky:)

Sugar
02-05-2003, 08:50 PM
"Lemon" is a freakin' fabulous tune! :thumbsup:

shackin'up
02-06-2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Skylark
:wavey: Thanks Chilli D;)...You make my heart very very HAPPY :laugh:
as you "know" things!!! Can...Say Goodbye be 15 or 16?;)
This is such FUN! Lindsey EXCITEMENT at LAST!!! haha!Sky:)

I thought Say goodbye is planned for say you will

say what?
I'd say say Rock and scream! and don't say anything! ( how am i gonna grow on this title. I,ve always hated say you will by foreigner. can't get it out of my head. AAAARRRGGGGGHHH.)

chiliD
02-06-2003, 11:27 AM
Can...Say Goodbye be 15 or 16?;)

Sky,

"Say Goodbye" is slated to be on the new Fleetwood Mac album.

John
02-06-2003, 11:54 AM
chiliD, is there a definitive tracklist out now for the album? I only know of 3 or 4 songs so far that will be on the album for sure, do you know where I can go to see the complete list of songs? Thanks! :)

chiliD
02-06-2003, 01:33 PM
According to the post on the Rumours Ledge titled "Complete Track List" (In alphabetical order):

Bleed to Love Her
Come
Destiny Rules
Everybody Finds Out
Goodbye Baby
Illume
Miranda
Murrow Turning Over In His Grave
Peacekeeper
Red Rover
Running Through The Garden
Say Goodbye
Say You Will
Silver Girl
Smile At You
Steal Your Heart Away
Thrown Down
What's the World Coming To

John
02-06-2003, 04:18 PM
Thanks chiliD, much appreciated! Looks like some of the best GOS songs made it on there, although it does make one wonder how many outstanding "leftovers" there are in the vaults. Any idea how many songs were actually recorded for the album (especially since it was talked of being a double Cd at one time)? Aside from that, I can't wait for the tour to start!

Johnny Stew
02-06-2003, 05:18 PM
John,

It's been stated by trustworthy sources, that the band submitted 23 finished songs to Warner/Reprise, when recording was completed on the album.

So apparently there are five "leftovers"... and we're all hoping they surface in some capicity, within the next few months.

Johnny Stew

seteca
02-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
John,

It's been stated by trustworthy sources, that the band submitted 23 finished songs to Warner/Reprise, when recording was completed on the album.

So apparently there are five "leftovers"... and we're all hoping they surface in some capicity, within the next few months.

Yea, and I reckon that probably at least 10 more were not even submitted, but nevertheless fully completed in the studio (i.e. both LB and SN songs). I really hope that these "leftovers" surface either as B sides, or on future LB or SN solo albums......or.....perhaps.....the next Fleetwood Mac album.;)

Skylark
02-06-2003, 09:26 PM
Thanks for setting me straight!
I thought you forgot it!:eek: It is a
nice nostalgic song regretting his
youthful decisions!!! A Love Song!

Incidently...I feel that Peacekeeper's
about Lindsey's SON!We make all our
SONS the same...not sun!;) MHO!Sky:)

CarneVaca
02-07-2003, 11:35 AM
Incidently...I feel that Peacekeeper's
about Lindsey's SON!We make all our
SONS the same...not sun!;) MHO!Sky:)

Sky, are you sure about "sons?" I saw that on Mick's board originally and just assumed that it was a typo. Reason is that "exploding sons" is a particularly violent and unnecessary image. However, "exploding suns" is part of the lexicon. And as I have discussed in another thread, I believe this song is about war and peace, and that Lindsey was using the missile "Peacekeeper" as inspiration for the sardonic tone of the song. Of course, that is strictly an interpretation independent of any knowledge of what was going on in Lindsey's mind when he wrote the thing.

Maybe he will tell us one of these days.

Sugar
02-07-2003, 01:29 PM
Who has these lyrics posted these days? Can someone point me in the direction. Now you guys have me thinking...:cool:

CarneVaca
02-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Sugar, a couple of weeks ago I posted the lyrics in a thread called "Psst... Look what I stole" in the Rumours board.

Skylark
02-07-2003, 11:05 PM
CarneVaca!
We feel that Lindsey wrote this after he became
a Father and was surprised by his great LOVE for
his precious new SON! He wrote a straight forward
song about how ...All sons are made the same...if
the peacekeeper tells lies... they all die the same!
LOVE is the Sweet Surprise!{Good Song Title LB!}

Re: Oaklahoma City and tension in the world since
many sons and daughters died in the Trade Towers
bombing! Lindsey made a statement he was scared!

You can isolate the original song before he mucked
it up with that horrible killing stuff for a hard edge!!!

Oh dear...Sorry! Iam ranting and raving! We just Pray
our precious sons and daughters will not have to die!
Or any of you as tension grows in our tenuous world!

hayley
02-08-2003, 01:00 AM
The lyric is definitely "sons," not "suns"- it's rather brutal imagery, but "suns" doesn't fit- "we make all of our sons the same" does not work with "suns"- and the word "sons" is continued throughout the lyrics.

The song is about war, it's a bloody, evocative song to me. This song predates September 11th, of course, but I've always gotten the impression that Lindsey was impacted (although minorly, since he was rich-lol) by the Vietnam war, and I think this song in some way plays into that conflict. The "explodes" line has simply always struck me as his particular choice of words to describe the absolute wastefulness of the loss of human lives associated with war.

I think it's great to see him writing such great lyrics- although I'm not a fan of "Murrow" it's nice to see him writing so well, lyrically. The songs on OOTC were, to me, his first step in attempting to write actual "real" emotional lyrics, as opposed to the fairly general lyrics he wrote for so long, lyrics that were there to simply to serve the music of the song.

strandinthewind
02-09-2003, 01:26 PM
Hello - I have read these posts with interest for many years and, considering the new record and all, have jumped into the game.

I, too, wish LB would release another solo record and greatly look forward to him doing so. However, I also wish he would just release the completed songs and not take five years to do so. I mean, bless his heart, he has been working (constantly?) on some of these songs apparently for over ten years. Moreover, from the releases of GOS on the web, they all sounded finished to my untrained ear. But then again, the man's a genius and I am not. So, after saying my peace (keeper :D ) I will wait :[

seteca
02-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by hayley
The songs on OOTC were, to me, his first step in attempting to write actual "real" emotional lyrics, as opposed to the fairly general lyrics he wrote for so long, lyrics that were there to simply to serve the music of the song.

So you think the lyrics to "I'm So Afraid", "Go Your Own Way", "Save Me A Place" (I could name many more) were written to serve the music of the song?

bjk3047
02-09-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by seteca
So you think the lyrics to "I'm So Afraid", "Go Your Own Way", "Save Me A Place" (I could name many more) were written to serve the music of the song?

I'd say so for the first two. But I'd find it hard to believe he thought up a generic three chord acoustic pattern before the lyrics for Save Me A Place.
-Brian

ERigby818
02-10-2003, 11:19 AM
I've had two sets of songs in my mind from the GOS demos...the ones I wanted to har on the Mac album, and the ones I wanted him to save for the eventual solo masterpiece;). When I read the set list for SYW, I was mostly happy because some of the Lindsey songs I thought would sound good with the Mac sound/Stevie were picked (like Miranda, Steal Your Heart Away, Peacekeeper, Murrow) but also disappointed because others weren't (Twist Of Fate, The Singer Not The Song and of course Down On Rodeo... that omission I really don't understand:distress: ). But I also thought there are so many AMAZING songs left over, though I'd hate to call them leftovers even though they are, lol. I am looking forward to this solo album even more now, and yes, it WILL happen (like I said, unabashedly optimistic here)...I am looking forward it more now because I really feel like after trying out some of these songs with the Mac, Lindsey might take a different/renewed approach to some of them...Not that any of them should be changed, but since we've been listening to them for over a year now, it would be cool to hear some new versions of these songs we love. Plus, not that he cares about this, but if he does what he should have done after the Dance and released a solo album shortly after a successful mac album (the way Stevie did with Enchanted) it will get maximum attention/exposure and probably sell better than it would have if he released it back in 2000. Linds knows his true fans will buy his music at any time and doesn't do this for fame and $$$, as we know... But the record company might see SYW as a golden opportunity to launch GOS and light a fire under his butt if he's the one who's stopping them from putting it out. Or if it's been their fault all along, then they'll stop being @$$holes and release/promote it!
-Sonia

Les
02-10-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by hayley
The lyric is definitely "sons," not "suns"- it's rather brutal imagery, but "suns" doesn't fit- "we make all of our sons the same" does not work with "suns"- and the word "sons" is continued throughout the lyrics.

Yes, I was wondering the same. "Suns" works on other levels, but in that specific context, it does make sense that it is "sons." I think it is intended to be that graphic and shocking. It evokes "Fortunate Son" in that respect, for me, and does take me to a war scenario. Pre-9/11 there were still a number of conflicts to choose from, whether it's a look back to Vietnam or something more recent that dominated the news when he may have been writing it, like the fighting and ethnic cleansing in Bosnia.

Sugar
02-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Thanks for pointing me to the thread, Carne! :wavey:

My initial gut reaction is that "making all our sons the same" is a reference to soldiers in uniform. And while them "exploding just the same" certainly is a violent image, it's also a little cavalier, which I think may refer to the cavalier way it seems countries go to war...

Just this reporter's opinion...

CarneVaca
02-14-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Sugar
Thanks for pointing me to the thread, Carne! :wavey:

My initial gut reaction is that "making all our sons the same" is a reference to soldiers in uniform. And while them "exploding just the same" certainly is a violent image, it's also a little cavalier, which I think may refer to the cavalier way it seems countries go to war...

Just this reporter's opinion...

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my mind around that one. Call me Thomas, but is there an official version of the lyrics somewhere? I'm still going to hold out hope that is "suns." If it turns out to be "sons," why, I don't think I'll be able to listen to the song... Eh, just kidding.

Come to think of it, doesn't "Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind" have some pretty violent images too? Perhaps we should all start worrying about our boy Lindsey' stability?

bjk3047
02-14-2003, 03:41 PM
I hate when people read farther into things than it appears to me that they should, but I'm going to go ahead and say that I think the children mentioned in Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind are a metaphor. For what? I can't quite say. But it just seems a little too out in left-field to be taken literally to me. Eh, just what I think.
-Brian

seteca
02-15-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Call me Thomas, but is there an official version of the lyrics somewhere?

Hey Thomas, I don't think there are official versions of any of the lyrics yet.:D

Speaking of interpretations I must say I was totally shocked when LB said in his GP interview that "Say Goodbye" was about leaving Fleetwood Mac!:eek: I was soooo sure that it was about somebody in particular, with prime suspects being an ex-girlfriend e.g. SN, CA-H or CC.

Skylark
02-19-2003, 06:27 PM
:wavey: My woman's instinct with Lindsey's life story ;)
that we are aware of...make me conjure up a young
man's regret upon leaving the safety of his home
up north! He had left Miss Legs ...his pretty little
Highschool Sweetheart {prom picture!} knowing
who he was and what was expected of him!:cool:

He said Goodbye to all that comfort and security
and took off for LA with Stevie! But...if HE SAYS its
about the band...my over-active imagination failed
me again! Iam too dramatic at times!:eek: hahaha!Sky:)