PDA

View Full Version : Underrated guitarist: Lindsey mention

wondergirl9847
01-25-2003, 04:34 PM
20. Lindsey Buckingham

Say what you want, but Lindsey was getting it on with Stevie Nicks before she turned into Ann Wilson. Buckingham and Nicks had their own music collaboration as well prior to the two joining Fleetwood Mac in 1974, but it was their contributions with Mick and company that left an indelible mark on pop music history. While Mac is largely thought of as a pop group for their easily listenable songs, it is Buckingham who added a slightly dark and tragic twist. From the outstanding fingerpicking displayed on the intro to "The Chain" and "Landslide" to the manic soloing of "Go Your Own Way," Buckingham solidified himself as a strong guitarist. Playing a strangely shaped electric axe and employing a unique, pick-less strumming technique, his playing and arrangements sometimes got lost in the foray of emotional chaos and borderline incestuous relationships that was Fleetwood Mac. In fact, I never paid Lindsey Buckingham much attention as a guitar player until I saw a broadcast of their reunion tour, "The Dance" on TV. It was then that I was able to experience the diversity and talent that Buckingham stamps on virtuously every song (with the exception of the usual God-awful Christine McVie keyboard crap.) The best guitarist in the world? Hardly. But an excellent player who gets lost in the aura of a band name? You bet. Underrated? Absolutely.

Essential listening: THE DANCE by Fleetwood Mac

The rest of the list is found here:

http://www.thumpcity.com/Hender/UnderratedGuitarists.htm

I might add that saying ANYONE is the BEST at ANYTHING in the world is opinion...LOL ;)

"Incenstuous relationships" <--- LMAO! EW!!!

Janet
01-25-2003, 06:55 PM
At least he's in good company:) Thanks for that!

chiliD
01-26-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
(with the exception of the usual God-awful Christine McVie keyboard crap.)

And nobody's taken exception to THAT remark....yet?

Ok, I will.

:mad:

Cristian
01-26-2003, 02:21 PM
I was waiting by someone else to do that, because I had to control myself. I've seen too much s*** written about Christine lately so I'm very mad and don't like to shout it out loud always. As George Harrison said, "silence often says much more than trying to say what's been said before".

I cannot take these stupid remarks about Chris seriously. Argh.

Song of the moment - You Make Loving Fun

wondergirl9847
01-26-2003, 03:46 PM
I wasn't happy when I read that either but that's his opinion, even tho he's WRONG! :nod::laugh:

He's apparently not a keyboard kind of guy...fine...but yeah, he didn't have to make that remark. :distress:

ERigby818
01-26-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
I wasn't happy when I read that either but that's his opinion, even tho he's WRONG! :nod::laugh:

Well, what can you say about a guy who "never payed Lindsey Buckingham much attention as a guitar player" till 1997?!
:rolleyes:
Someone who doesn't pay much attention, that's what. :nod:
-Sonia

MikeD
01-27-2003, 04:04 PM
Well, and I make this disclaimer now: I don't agree with his assesment of Chris' playing. With that said, when you look at her style compared to Elton John, Stevie Wonder, and some of those other keyboard players that have made it, no there not the best parts. On the other hand, sometimes you can say more by saying less than you can with a thousand words. In this light, I am currently putting out a contract on the authors head.

Oh, and I apologize for my absence as of late...lot of stuff going on...

HI again, Christy

David
01-27-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by MikeD
Well, and I make this disclaimer now: I don't agree with his assesment of Chris' playing. With that said, when you look at her style compared to Elton John, Stevie Wonder, and some of those other keyboard players that have made it, no there not the best parts. On the other hand, sometimes you can say more by saying less than you can with a thousand words.I agree with you with one major difference: I would say that it's in the realm of style that Christine excels. Style is what describes Christine's ability to use what she has technically in order to stamp her personality on an appropriate keyboard lick or pattern for a song. So as far as her style goes, I'd say she's the equal of just about anyone else in rock, & the superior of many a keyboardist. Think of Stevie Nicks having the style, & someone like Celine Dion having the voice box. In terms of sheer technical ability, Celine's got it all over Stevie. But who the hell wants to listen to Celine? Style is so much more interesting than cold, clinical physical perfection when it comes to singers or instrumentalists. It's what makes Lindsey a more interesting guitarist to most of us than Steve Vai is.

Christine doesn't measure up to the great pianists in the music business (like Elton or Stevie Wonder) in the more mundane, more measurable realm of technique --- what they used to call "chops." Chris has always admitted to not being an extraordinary piano player: she can't play flashy arpeggios or other difficult passages like Keith Emerson. But who wants to listen to flashy arpeggios or fiendishly complex runs on "You Make Loving Fun"? What Christine does is so perfect for Fleetwood Mac & for her & for the song. See the difference? That's style.

Skylark
01-27-2003, 11:01 PM
Hi David!
Enjoyed your fine comments about Chris's playing! You being a keyboard man can hear the nuances better than I but...on a disk from a 1977 concert a fanatic sent me...she just Jams on piano and she is doing the" fancy runs"!!!;)She IS a trained pianist isn't she?
I LOVE it as you watch her having fun with apparent joy and Lindsey's admiration on an old
video of a 1975 concert when B/N had just arrived!
John is so nice helping Lindsey and Stevie is shyly looking to Mick as she twirls and sings! They are just terrific in their insecurity!!!Sky:)

seteca
01-30-2003, 09:13 AM
I came across this list a long time I go, and the one thing that stuck in my head from everything the guy had written in LB's section was that stupid and uncalled for comment about Christine. The guy obviously doesn't know his head from his ass.

Other than that, yea, of course Lindsey is underrated, and it's nice to see him being recognised.

I am curious though....WHY is Brian May in this list....??!? He's in pretty much every "Best guitarists" list I've ever read in my life, (and deservedly so) and he usually makes it into the top 10. Even on THIS list, he's in at no.6!!! lol!!!:laugh: I would hardly call him "underrated"..!!!

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

estranged4life
01-30-2003, 02:47 PM
I agree with that are on this STUPID list:

14. Alex Lifeson-Rush/Victor
11. Rik Emmett-Triumph/Solo
2. Ty Tabor-King's X/Solo
1. Michael Hedges