PDA

View Full Version : Different sounds

nightbird28
01-22-2003, 10:23 PM
Hi, this is my first time posting in this particular part of the ledge. I've found out during a recent visit with a friend, to which I put in a pre-lindsey/stevie mac cd and he was clueless to who it was. :D

I noticed for the really the first time how much different sounding the mac used to be. I'm honestly think the band should have had a name change somewhere down the line since the sounds are so different. There are though some common threads throughout the changes in the mac, but still. What do you think?

Also, does anyone know if the new peter green and splinter group cd is going to be sound like. I"ve found myself getting more and more into liking peter's stlye over lindsey's a bit and wanted to know what solo cd do i need to get.:confused:

wetcamelfood
01-23-2003, 09:56 AM
It probably is due to that "common thread" though all the music as to why it's cool to retain the FM name throughout etc. JMHO. :)

I guess it depends on what you're listening to. If you're listening to, say, the Blue Horizon stuff, then yeah, sure it's dif to the "Rumours" stuff but once they started with Reprise in '69 and even more so the closer they got to '75, I'd say the stuff got more similar sounding as it went along for the most part though BT & MTM are the closest I'd say overall though it'd be better to have a comp of all the stuff from pre '75 that sounds the cloest to the BN days but that's JMHO (again) though. :) Maybe ChiliD can whip up a good list for us here on this topic?! :)

I'd imagine the new PGSG album "Reaching the cold 100" will be similar to "Time traders/Destiny road" sounding but we'll see I guess. Those would be the two PGSG albums I'd recommend (to start with) anyways. :) For PG's older solo stuff, if you like free form, you'll LOVE "The end of the game" but aside from that, you'd be best to start with "In the skies" & "White sky".

Hope that's of some help. :)

John

nightbird28
01-23-2003, 11:42 AM
Thanks!!!

chiliD
01-23-2003, 12:09 PM
Somebody say "Peter Green"??? (that's like the Bat-signal for me!! :laugh: )

For someone who has just gotten into Fleetwood Mac, yes, I can understand how the various incarnations sound dissimilar. Especially if you listen to "Mr. Wonderful" and then "Tusk" back-to-back. However, you also have to understand that they didn't make those changes overnight...they were all gradual changes...they kind of faded from one to another, rather than abruptly changed. Why change the name? The two guys who the band is named after have been there (for the most part) all along. :nod:

Like John alluded to, the only real stretch in "sound" is from the blues years to the pop sound. "Kiln House", their first album without Peter Green, for the most part, really isn't that far away from the Rumours sound...the subsequent album "Future Games", despite another personnel change, again is even CLOSER to the "Rumours' sound, etc, etc. Christine's tunes have been extremely consistent since she joined..."Show Me A Smile" isn't a far stretch from "Songbird"; "Dissatisfied" (from Penguin) isn't that far off in sound from "Don't Stop", etc.

That's the fun of being a long-time Fleetwood Mac fan...I can listen to nothing but Fleetwood Mac, and it sounds like I'm listening to 5 or 6 different, but in some ways, similar sounding, bands! ;)

Again, I agree with John, "Time Traders" or "Destiny Road" would be good starting places for Splinter Group material...even "Soho Session" is a good live album...they play both new & old material on that one. But, really the best is to start at the beginning with the first PGSG album; and get them in chronological order...that way your ears grow with Peter as he makes his comeback. His style, though still blues based, is significantly more reserved than how he was playing when he left Fleetwood Mac.

I'm really looking forward to "The Cold 100" album...the growth of the band as a whole, and Peter himself, between "DR" & "TT" was something to behold. From what I've read, Peter's playing even BETTER now, he's been even blowing away his own band members!

For his older post-FMac material, I'd recommend either "In The Skies" or "Little Dreamer" first...they are the most "accessible" sounding of that era. There are SO many compilations and reissues of that 1977-1981 era it'll make your head spin...but one of the better compilations is called "Green & Guitar"...a good sampler from the era...but I still recommend getting the full albums, since some of the better material, for some reason, doesn't seem to show up on most of the compilation albums.

I'd recommend holding off from getting "End Of The Game" until the end, it is a VERY "acquired taste" compared to his later solo works. IF you like the "Searching for..." and "Fighting for..." Madges on "Then Play On" and the extended jams of the live "Boston Tea Party" shows, then you may enjoy it sooner rather than later.

In summary, :laugh: , here's two suggestion lists as to the order to get Peter Green's post-Mac stuff, one for his 1977-1981 material, one for the PGSG stuff...actually, both lists are in chronological order:

1977-1981:
In The Skies
Little Dreamer
Whatcha Gonna Do
White Sky

PGSG:
First PGSG album (what I affectionately refer to as "the Blue Album" :laugh: )
Me & The Devil Blues (a reissue of both "Robert Johnson Songbook" & "Hot Foot Powder" together...which, logically, is the way to go)
Soho Session
Destiny Road
Time Traders
Blues Don't Change (at this point, is only available from the PGSG website)
Reaching The Cold 100

If you really get the "completist" bug, then, go back & get:
End Of The Game (another reason I'd put this one off is that I've read where there's talk of reissuing it as a 2 disc set with an entire second disc of "outtakes", which one person who heard the stuff said that there is stuff that DIDN'T make the original album that was actually MUCH better than most of the material that DID!!)
Blue Guitar (only place you can get the single version of "Apostle" on CD)
Legend (has songs that weren't released on other 1977-81 era albums)
Kolors
Katmandu

Happy listening!!

:wavey:

wetcamelfood
01-23-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by chiliD
IF you like the "Searching for..." and "Fighting for..." Madges on "Then Play On" and the extended jams of the live "Boston Tea Party" shows, then you may enjoy it sooner rather than later.

You worded that better than me but, yeah that's what I meant anyways. :)

John

wetcamelfood
01-23-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by chiliD
End Of The Game (another reason I'd put this one off is that I've read where there's talk of reissuing it as a 2 disc set with an entire second disc of "outtakes", which one person who heard the stuff said that there is stuff that DIDN'T make the original album that was actually MUCH better than most of the material that DID

WHOA! I heard the legend of the "cutting room floor" stuff frm the EOTG sessions being "better than what ended up on the album", but what's this about it (might) be re-released as a deluxe 2 CD set? I hadn't heard anything of this. Do tell! :)

John

nightbird28
01-23-2003, 09:05 PM
I picked up "green and guitar". I love it my favorites so far are the instrumentals like "apostle" and "slabo day" and for favorite songs with vocals, "White sky" just plain out rocks. "two time loser" is so addicting with those awful 80's back up singers and the rest of the songs are awesome.:)

I found though that with this compilation there are songs that sound like they came out of the rumours line up. Like "in the skies" just has a vibe that reminds me of something off like rumours or the white fleetwood mac album. Anyone else think so?:wavey:

Doctor Brown
01-26-2003, 11:25 AM
Good choice Nightbird!

That was an unfortunately overlooked period of Peter's playing, and like you say, it's awesome.

I've always wondered how Peter could have been playing so well at that time since his illness had already manefested itself, and then have had problems playing later!

I hope the new CD is not like the Mayallesque "Time Traders". Although I am looking forward to hearing the "new" version of "Black Magic Woman", there have been quite a few versions of the same songs on different albums.

If Peter is not going to write some new blues tunes, then I would like to see some covers of either different FM songs, or blues standards like were on "Blues Don't Change" which is my favorite of their CD's. I believe this is the type of music that the fans want to hear Peter play. I know I do.

Doc

chiliD
01-26-2003, 11:19 PM
"MAYALLESQUE"?!?!?!?! :eek:

Blasphemy!! HERESY!! :(

There's nothing "Mayallesque" about it...it's PURE UNADULTERATED SPLINTER GROUP!!:nod:

(I'll concede that, if anything, "Time Traders" sounds "CLAPTONESQUE", but that's about as far as I'll go. )