PDA

View Full Version : Need your love so bad

Mac Fan
01-18-2003, 01:15 PM
Is it just me, or on the Best Of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, the end sounds different?

chiliD
01-19-2003, 03:59 AM
There was more than one version of "Need Your Love So Bad" released...the UK single was a different take than the US single

(see "The Complete Blue Horizons Sessions" booklet)

Mario
01-19-2003, 10:34 AM
As usual, Chilid is right.

There also is a "Usa Version" on which Peter re-recorded both vocals and guitar parts......

A nice track indeed!

Mario.

Blue Horizon
01-20-2003, 04:06 PM
Mario

Yes there were different versions issued here in the UK and USA, but I seem to recall two different versions being released here in the UK at the time.

The original single version and the album version ( which might be the USA version ??) which appeared on 'The Pious Bird Of Good Omen'. Will need to check this out.

Regards

Blue Horizon.

chiliD
01-20-2003, 07:19 PM
The Blue Horizon Box set book insinuates the version on Pious Bird... is the same as the single.

Without permission from the author, I hereby quote:

With overdubs complete it was general consensus of opinion that we had a potential hit on our hands; but at six minutes, it would either require an edit or a fade. We plumped for the latter, offering up the idea of putting the remainder of the song out as the flip side. That plan was dropped in favour of including an alternate take of "Stop Messin' Round" but now for the first time ever, you get to hear the full version. At the request of Seymour Stein in New York, a further session was arranged in October of that year to enable Peter to overdub new guitar and vocal parts for a US single release. The results were shelved and have never been heard until now.

So, apparently, the "US version" isn't the "alternate version" we think it is...or is it?? THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE (cue X-Files theme)

wetcamelfood
01-20-2003, 08:20 PM
Until the FM CBHS box came out anyways (at which time I sold them), I had the original US Epic single and I think a German BH single (which both had the "take 5" version (as I'll refer to it as per the CBHS box set up of all of different takes...) of "Stop messin' 'round" and I STILL DO have the PBOGO album on CD (Japan import from Sony circa early 90's) and all of these NYLSB's sound identical to me, they are all the "fade out after three minute" version (I'll refer to it as per the CBHS box once again, I'm sure you know which version I mean anyways, the first three minutes of track one from the "revamped" PBOGO disc in the CBHS box, y'know? THAT one....) if any of this is of any help to clear up this matter. :)

I did notice that the copies of the original documentations in the CBHS box show that it says "do not use" next to what is billed as the "USA version" of NYLSB and I'm sure it says somewhere within those notes that the release of the "USA version" of NYLSB on the CBHS box is the first time that version of the track has been released since it said "do not use" on the documentation at the time and as it was the "usual" version that was on the US Epic original NYLSB single I had, I would tend to agree with this (but who am I to say). Just an observation, hope it's of some help/use. :)

John

Mac Fan
01-22-2003, 11:44 AM
Thanks for all of your help, guys.;)

chiliD
01-29-2003, 01:08 PM
I'm thinking that maybe...just mayyyyyyybeeeee..."Need Your Love So Bad" MIGHT be one of the 4 tracks on the new PGSG album "bonus disc". That would be great! I saw them play it their last tour; Nigel & Peter trade off vocals (Nigel sang the verses, Peter came in on the "Why don't you give it up..." bridge), which was VERY powerful.