PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice re: compiling FM's albums onto CD-R

Johnny Stew
01-08-2003, 04:31 PM
Recently I decided that I'd like to compile all of Fleetwood Mac's studio albums onto just one or two CD-Rs, by burning them as files.
The DVD-Player I got for Christmas plays mp3s, so I thought it'd be nice to be able to just pop in one disc and skip back and forth between any album or song from Fleetwood Mac's history.

I figured, in order to cut down on the used space on my hard-drive, I'd rip one album into its own folder, then burn it onto disc, delete it, and move to the next album.
Plus, doing it this way, I can take as long as I want to complete the project.
Unfortunately though, I've sort of hit a snag.

On the outset, I was just going to burn each album, as is... but then I started to think about the fact that a lot of the Peter Green era music was released in terribly erratic fashion, and also that some key tracks (like "Man Of The World") would be missing, if I only compiled the main studio albums.

There's 'The Original Fleetwood Mac,' for example... while not a studio album proper, I'd like to include those tracks too. But those tunes were recorded at various times, and the album was released *after* the music that would follow chronologically on 'Then Play On.'
And then what to do about the various A-sides, and B-sides (like "Someone's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight"), which never appeared on any of the major albums?

Then I thought perhaps... using my various Mac books as a reference... I could compile the tracks by recording date.
Each year having its own folder.
Which could work, but I think I'd still like to single out some of the albums (for example, I wouldn't necessarily want to mix the Chess studios recordings with the tracks on 'Then Play On').

Or should I just stick to doing one album per folder... then create a "leftovers" folder, for any remaining non-LP Green-era tracks, and then another "leftovers" folder for any non-LP Nicks-era tracks?

Somehow I get the feeling that I am totally over-complicating this! *lol*
Which is why I'm hoping for some advice. :-)

thanks!
Johnny Stew

chiliD
01-08-2003, 04:59 PM
Just my humble suggestions:

The stuff from "The Original Fleetwood Mac" album were recorded around, or even at the same time, as "Dog & Dustbin"...so they could for simplification's sake be "One album". "Mr. Wonderful" and the subsequent singles (BMW, Albatross, Jigsaw Puzzle Blues, Need Your Love So Bad, etc) that were taken to make up "Pious Bird of Good Omen" (and in the US "English Rose") could all be done together...plus Danny's "One Sunny Day", "Something Inside Of Me" & "Without You".

"Man Of The World", "Someone's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight", "World In Harmony" & "Green Manalishi" (and the Jeremy Spencer's 1st solo album tracks and other outtakes from the Vaudeville Years & Show Biz Blues collections) can go on "Then Play On".

"Dragonfly" & "Purple Dancer" could be placed on "Kiln House".

"Trinity" & "Lay It All Down" from "The Chain" box could be included on a "Future Games"/"Bare Trees" set.

The Chess sessions kind of stand on their own.

wetcamelfood
01-08-2003, 05:46 PM
Not sure what you'd want to do with tracks such as "I'm coming home to stay" and so forth that are on the "Complete Blue Horizons sessiosn" box set (and not elsewhere) too if you'd wanna stick that and "You're so evil" (even though it's essentially the same deal as "Hellhound on my trail" with different lyrics, I'd still consider that a seperate track) on the "Dog & dustbin" deal too or what and so on like they have done at the end of their respective albums in that box and how 'bout the live stuff :Live at the BBC", "Shrine '69", the Boston Tea Party stuff etc. etc.

It just seems like you'd have to think about where you'd wanna stick everything before you physically do it. :)

John

Doctor Brown
01-09-2003, 04:40 PM
Just to clairify~

The proper title of the Jeremy Spencer track is: "SomeBODY'S 'Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight"

Doc:)

chiliD
01-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Wrong.

The LYRIC is "SomeBODY's.."

the TITLE is "SomeONE's..."

I submit the Penguin Discography entry for the "Vaudeville Years" collection as "evidence" (I'd check the CD set itself, but I don't happen to have it with me today) :

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/albums/vaudeville.htm

Doctor Brown
01-10-2003, 05:38 PM
Wrong!

Not according to the original album that I have sitting in front of me. That I bought in 1971.

British Archives Series- Blues For Collectors
Vol.4 RCA LSP-4549 (e) from 1971

"Somebody's" got transposed to "someone's" by someone rushing through the re-releases of "White Boy Blues" much later and then onto "The Vaudeville Years".

That wouldn't be the first time something like this happened. Look at the song "I Believe My Time Ain't Long" on The Chain Box Set. That is actually "Dust My Broom" from Mr. Wonderful, not the original single that the name implies.

The only thing that could convince me differently would be to see an original copy of the single. Then the reverse would be true.
But I don't believe that to be the case.

Doc

David
01-10-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Brown
Not according to the original album that I have sitting in front of me. That I bought in 1971.I'm going to let you two early Mac experts hash this one out. (By the way, you two should get to know each other if you don't already because of your knowledge & appreciation of the Green FM years.)

I just wanted to say that I'm happy to be reading your thoughts on this forum, Doctor Brown. I catch your stuff over on the Fleetwood Chat Room board, & I find your posts over there to be my favorite in general because they're informative & civilized. You give off a good vibe.

chiliD
01-10-2003, 07:41 PM
Not according to the original album that I have sitting in front of me. That I bought in 1971.

British Archives Series- Blues For Collectors
Vol.4 RCA LSP-4549 (e) from 1971

Damn you for making me dig through cobwebs, ants & spiders to dig out my copy of the same album, that I bought around the same time!!! :)

I concede defeat. You're absolutely correct! :wavey:

That'll teach me to be so cocky! :laugh:

Hmmmm...calling "wetcamelfood", come in "wetcamelfood"!! Hey, John, do YOU have a copy of that "Man Of The World" 45?

Doctor Brown
01-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Thank You David! I won't be posting much though, only if I have something to contribute.

Of course I know ChilliD. I have admired his knowledge from a distance for quite a few years.

You know ChilliD, I have seen that song title in print for many years, and being a fan since the beginning I of course would take notice any time I saw it.

It has only been the last five years or so that I ever heard it referred to as "Someone's". I really believe that Bob Brunning is the one who made the error. The title appears that way in his book and he also had a part in the production of "The Vaudeville Years".

He probably tried to put the thing together from memory instead of actually taking it out and listening to it or even reading the actual title.

Doc

wetcamelfood
01-11-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by chiliD
Hmmmm...calling "wetcamelfood", come in "wetcamelfood"!! Hey, John, do YOU have a copy of that "Man Of The World" 45?

I read you ChiliD, nope unfortunately, I don't have the original MOTW single, I think we'll have to give in to THIS bloke Doctor Brown on this one, it does seem like a reasonable explanation as to what must have happened on this matter.

Dr. Brown, we hearby present you with this PHD Docterate (certificate, degree, thingy...) in the subject of "Fleetwood Mac history". Congratulations! :)

Better go for now, 10 - 4, over and out... :)

John

Doctor Brown
01-11-2003, 11:55 PM
thingy.......is this board censored:laugh:

Johnny Stew
01-12-2003, 01:55 AM
A 1987 CD I own, manufactured by Castle Communications, and titled, 'Fleetwood Mac - The Collection,' lists the title as "SomeONE'S Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight."
Rikky Rooksby's 1998 book, 'The Complete Guide To The Music Of Fleetwood Mac,' also lists it as such.

However, both Mick Fleetwood's 1992 book, 'My Twenty-Five Years In Fleetwood Mac,' and Peter Lewry's 1998 book, 'Fleetwood Mac - The Complete Recording Sessions, 1967-1997,' list the track as "SomeBODY'S Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight."

I guess, out of habit, I still refer to it as "Someone's," because that 1987 compilation was my first exposure to the song.
:shrug:

Johnny Stew

wetcamelfood
01-12-2003, 08:14 AM
Johnny Stew - Same deal with me, that's the CD I have for that song as well so I go under the same habit though I guess we'll never know unless we come across a copy of the Immedite single which is unlikely. I know there was a box set released in the UK a a few years ago compiling all of the singles released on Immediate so I wonder if maybe the booklet with that set had a photo of it or something more concrete (etc.)? Ah whatever, anyways, I tend(ed) to go by the Castle listing as well since that is the listing I "grew up with" so to speak. :)

Doc - ("thingy") well, nothing off color intended, just trying to add some humor to such stuffy presentation proceedings! :)

John

Doctor Brown
01-12-2003, 10:04 AM
I also was trying to be humorous and...Thank You John!

It makes sense that you would believe the information that you were first exposed to. You would naturally assume it to be correct.

But does it make sense that a song would be titled using a synonym of a word that is used repeatedly throughout the song, when that synonym is not use once.

And the fact that ChilliD and I both have documented proof that in 1971 the song was titled "SomBODY's".

I bought that album specificly because Jeremy was on it, and for that song. I have a pretty good eye for detail. And like I said the use of the word "SomeONE's" is a fairly new "controversay".

I would be interseted to know if there were any liner notes on that 1987 CD. Was Bob Brunning associated with it?

Now I want to look for contradictory statements written by Brunning regarding the song since he appearently did some overdubbing with Bob Hall for it's original release.

There is supposed to be a Fleetwood Mac convention in England this year and Brunning is supposed to be there. I'm going to ask Neil or Pip to look him up and ask him about it, with our discussion in mind.

Doc

wetcamelfood
01-12-2003, 10:54 AM
I'm not saying you and ChiliD were "wrong/incorrect" in your findings, I'm sure they ARE right and I did often wonder about it too as I knew JS said that in the lyrics over and over etc., I was just letting Johnny Stew know that he wasn't alone with how he felt etc. At least we now know that "The collection" CD is wrong and what the correct title must be.

It's great when we can get to the bottom of such things here at the ledge when what we often see in writing is so contradictory. :)

John

Doctor Brown
01-14-2003, 04:41 PM
I know that you weren't saying that we were wrong John. I get the drift behind what you say by now.

I was just listing some factors that might help get to the bottom of this. Of course they're slanted toward my belief, but that is all that I've known.

There may be some things that we don't know about. So that CD could be correct.

I've got a question in to Bob Brunning. I'll be interested to hear what he has to say about it. I'll post it when I hear back on it.

Thanks for the good conversation folks!

Doc

:cool:

Doctor Brown
01-17-2003, 11:40 AM
Got a reply back from Bob Brunning. He said that he was going from memory when he listed the title as "SomeONE'S, and said that he could have very well been incorrect. With that said, I have to believe that "SomeBODY'S as it was listed on the 1971 album is correct.

Doc

Blue Horizon
01-19-2003, 01:01 PM
Doc

You are right- someBODY'S is correct. I have just checked my original copy of the single 'Man of the World' on the B side.

Well done. You go to the top of the class!!!

Blue Horizon.

Doctor Brown
01-20-2003, 12:50 PM
Thanks Blue Horizon!

I know that all this is pretty trivial. But I had always wondered where SomeONE'S came from.

With Bob Brunning saying that he had gone only from memory when listing the title, That kind of sewed it up for me. Of course that was my theory from day one.

Thanks for taking the time to look it up!

I've been a Spencer fan from way back.

Doc

chiliD
01-20-2003, 01:09 PM
That's where I got screwed up...I just KNEW it was "Somebody's..." for all those years, but then when the Vaudeville Years set came out, it made me question my own memory...so, I figured "they must know better than I".

Between that, Mick's book, and Mick's OWN site full of inaccuracies, I guess I can't even trust the people INVOLVED for accurate info! :)