PDA

View Full Version : I'm really diggin' Trouble right now

Street_Dreamer
11-18-2002, 04:32 PM
This has ALWAYS been among my top 5 favorite Lindsey solo tunes but it seems like recently, I HAVE to listen to it more and more. I LOVE Lindsey's vocals and the acoustic guitar in this. It's such a simple song but it evokes such emotion :) it's great.

Matt

sulamith
11-18-2002, 05:07 PM
ohhh, I have lots of reasons I love Trouble!
The lyrics are very simple, but have a very deep meaning.
I really love the guitar part. Beautiful, clear simplicity.

The video sucks rocks on a cracker, but the song is sublime.

I wonder if Lindsey likes it? Since it so different than anything else on L&O, I can't help but wonder if he just rattled off a nice little commercial tune to satisfy the powers that be! LOL!!

If that's the case, I wish he'd give us a few more like this one.

It also sounds to me like it could have even been on an FM album and fit rather nicely.

wondergirl9847
11-18-2002, 07:28 PM
Trouble is an AWESOME song, and yes, it IS the "diamond in the rough" on L&O. I love the intro "ah, two, ah three, ah foah!" and that deep breath he takes on the SNL one!! :laugh: The guitar part is SUCH a pretty melody, it's very soothing. :)

Sulamith, I know the video is kinda bad, looking back on it now, but his facial expressions and THOSE EYES (!!!!!) are KILLER!! I love watching it for just his expression-full face!! Of course, his lip-synching SUCKS WEED! LMAO!

Skylark
11-18-2002, 07:52 PM
:wavey: Hi Dedicated Lindsey Fans!
I REALLY DIG ...TROUBLE!!!
I love it for the notes he chose...
for the emotion he shows and...
for the giddy silly fun lyrics ;) !!!
They are sexy yet boyish...he is
simple but exquisite...I Like IT!
Lindsey can say more with his
breathe than any artist I know!:)

The Video is clever if you think
about it as...an early 80's idea!
V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V

seteca
11-18-2002, 11:14 PM
It's without a doubt my favourite song off Law And Order. It was one of those songs that I loved from the first time I heard it, and I've loved it ever since. The acoustic guitar work on is great...it compliments the song really well just like the acoustic on "Family Man."

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Mac Fan
11-19-2002, 02:45 AM
I haven't heard Trouble yet(or any songs from Lindsey's solo albums)but when I did become a fan, for a while, I was really obsessed with Oh Dieane and then after that, it was GYOW.(EVen though it does make me cry)

macfan 57
11-19-2002, 06:58 AM
I also love "Trouble." It's also my favorite song on that album. I don't know why everybody hates that video. It's not bad when you consider that it came out just as videos were starting in the early 80's.

EnchantedStorms
11-19-2002, 08:40 AM
I love "Trouble"! Definitely my fav off of Law and Order. lol...I can remember my dad listening to it when I was a kid. I think he even had the 45. He freaked out when I told him it was Lindsey Buckingham....you know Dad, the one from Fleetwood Mac that I'm so obsessed with? lol. Sort of a bonding moment with dear ol' dad, hahaha! Anyhoo...the video is cheesy as hell, but it's great! I love it! His expressions...they crack me up.:laugh: I think it's all the lip pursing(sp?) that does it. Too funny.:nod:

~~Angela~~:wavey:

Les
11-19-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by sulamith
I wonder if Lindsey likes it? Since it so different than anything else on L&O, I can't help but wonder if he just rattled off a nice little commercial tune to satisfy the powers that be! LOL!!

He seems to like it in that very Lindsey-like way ;):

From Songwriters on Songwriting:

Q: "Trouble."

A: Yeah. That was the hit, the obligatory hit....That was just one of those things that we thought we should put on an album, otherwise it would have never seen the light of day at all. [laughs]

Q: You’re not crazy about that one?

A: No, I like it a lot. But it’s really poppy. It is very well crafted, as I recall.

Originally posted by Seteca
The acoustic guitar work on is great...it compliments the song really well just like the acoustic on "Family Man."

Exactly - that Spanish sound. It's lovely. Plus, I am a sucker for the lyrics.

sulamith
11-19-2002, 11:50 AM
HA! So my instincts were actually right about that?
I thought it may have been the "obligatory" tune put on so the album would "see the light of day".

Thanks for posting that, and I'm glad to know he likes it. Sometimes with artists like Lindsey, their most commercial work is often their least favorite.

Now as for Family Man, those lyrics have GOT to be joke!
Lindsey was making a funny, right?
Mother, F%&*er indeed!

Les
11-19-2002, 12:07 PM
Joke not! ;)

I guess a lot of people don't like Family Man, but I (believe it or not..hehe) like the lyrics. I think they're very sweet about how much he feels he's comforted by and defined by his family, rather than anything else - fame, money, etc... It may also have been an expression of some future dreams for himself that he didn't have at the time he wrote it.

I don't hear the "mother f*cker" thing.

mother...father...brother...

sulamith
11-19-2002, 12:20 PM
Well be glad you don't hear it, because I have TRIED not to hear it and.....

That's all I CAN hear anymore, so I have just had to let Family Man go it's own way, so to speak.
I just can't take it seriously.....now the Spanish guitar on it is really pretty.

I would love it if it were an instrumental! lol!!

BTW, is Spanish guitar a kind of guitar or just a style of playing?

sodascouts
11-19-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Les
Joke not! ;)

I guess a lot of people don't like Family Man, but I (believe it or not..hehe) like the lyrics. I think they're very sweet about how much he feels he's comforted by and defined by his family, rather than anything else - fame, money, etc... It may also have been an expression of some future dreams for himself that he didn't have at the time he wrote it.

The premise of "Family Man" is a nice one. I just think the way he communicated it lyrically was tiresomely repetitive, and the phrase "I am what I am, am what I am" for some reason recalls Popeye to me. Finally, I don't go for the whole "echo" bit.

It stuns me that they made so many extended remixes (like, three or four!!) of a song with so little meat to it, just repeating the same thing over and over and over and over....

But, to each his own!

Les
11-19-2002, 12:31 PM
I hate all of the remixes, to be perfectly honest. I rarely like remixes of FM songs especially. There are just some songs that really aren't meant to have them. But it seems like there were an inordinate number of extended remixes for all of the Tango singles.

sulamith
11-19-2002, 12:33 PM
one more thing.....
Angela, Wondergirl, and Sky, and all you guys defending the Trouble video, I concede part of my critcism of it. All the early vids are just hilarious, but it IS Lindsey, after all. Really though, the whole L&O look is my least, least favorite. He seemed to be having a bad hair year that whole time, from the clean-shaven, oily cover shot to the It Was I session, for me, it just wasn't Linds at his best. It wasn't lighting or lame video concepts. He just seems "off" and unlike himself a little. Just my opinion.

It's like Lindsey's L&O look equals Stevie SA era for each of them not looking their best.

CarneVaca
11-19-2002, 02:11 PM
[i]BTW, is Spanish guitar a kind of guitar or just a style of playing? [/B]

A Spanish or classical guitar has nylon strings. A folk guitar is bigger and has steel strings. These steel-string guitars are by far more popular with rock, country and folk artists. "Spanish guitar" also refers to a style of playing, which derives from Flamenco, which itself has some Arabic influence. Compare the drama and movement of a Flamenco dancer with a belly dancer. You might notice some similarities. The Middle Eastern and North African influence is also detectable in traditional Portuguese music, called Fado, and in some Italian folk, particularly from the Mediterranean islands.

sulamith
11-19-2002, 04:04 PM
Oh thanks, Carne, for that clarification.
You guys are just veritable founts of information!

Sugar
11-19-2002, 05:47 PM
I love this song too, especially the guitar solos. But I'm telling you he spits on his chin in the video and tries to slurp it up all sexy-like (Sulamith and I have spoken about this before) and that combined with all the posing makes this video hysterical to me!

C'mon, am I the only one who sees the spit???:eek:

seteca
11-19-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by CarneVaca

A Spanish or classical guitar has nylon strings. A folk guitar is bigger and has steel strings. These steel-string guitars are by far more popular with rock, country and folk artists. "Spanish guitar" also refers to a style of playing, which derives from Flamenco, which itself has some Arabic influence. Compare the drama and movement of a Flamenco dancer with a belly dancer. You might notice some similarities. The Middle Eastern and North African influence is also detectable in traditional Portuguese music, called Fado, and in some Italian folk, particularly from the Mediterranean islands.

Speaking of which, I've been playing a lot of Paco De Lucia recently (or rather, I'm giving it my best shot!), I do believe that he is one of the greatest guitarists of all time. I very stupidly missed his performance in London last year, but I hope he plays again soon...I won't miss him again.

When you listen to him play, it kinda puts the abilities of some of these famous electric guitarists into perspective....his tone and fluidity are out of this world...

sulamith
11-19-2002, 06:40 PM
Hey sugar, I really tried seeing it, but my copy is sooooooo grainy. I believe you, but I really can't tell.
I used to catch this vid pretty regular on VH1 classic, but wouldn't cha know.....now that I am looking for it, it has gone MIA!

seteca - this Paco de Lucia....are you saying his playing puts electric rock guys to shame? Or are you saying it makes you understand their abilites, or what?
I kinda miss the point there, so Lucy, you got some 'xplainin' to do! lol!!

seteca
11-19-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by sulamith
.....seteca - this Paco de Lucia....are you saying his playing puts electric rock guys to shame? Or are you saying it makes you understand their abilites, or what?
I kinda miss the point there, so Lucy, you got some 'xplainin' to do! lol!!.....

"this Paco de Lucia"....hahaha!!:laugh:

Sorry, it's just that he's arguably the best guitarist in the world so it's funny reading that..!:D

What I meant was...in terms of technical ability, fluidity and definition across the fretboard (I like to group these two into "confidence"), his playing is (IMHO and the HO's of a few hundred million other people) unmatched by any of the famous primarily-electric guitarists.

If you can, have a listen to his version of Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez...it is quite incredible.

The man who has been selling and taking care of my classical guitars since 1987 is one of his best friends and ex-co-performers....so I might be slightly biased anyway...;)

p.s. who on earth is "Lucy"...??!?....:confused:.......lol!

sulamith
11-19-2002, 07:17 PM
OK, sorry I am such a novice, (and it shows, haha!!) but I am really getting an education!
I really am going to check out the music of the people you guys talk about. I wrote it down. I need to broaden my horizions.

The Lucy reference is just something me and my friends say that takes off on the old "I Love Lucy" show, where Ricky would say, "Luuuuucy, you got some 'xplainin' (explaining) to do!" in his heavy Cuban accent. We always say it when we want more info. Sorry if it was confusing!
Anybody else do that?

David
11-19-2002, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by seteca
Speaking of which, I've been playing a lot of Paco De Lucia recently ... his tone and fluidity are out of this world.I've been building my collection of Christopher Parkening recordings lately. Right now I'm mesmerized by his tribute to Segovia album. Parkening learned a great deal about tone & phrasing & attack from Segovia, his teacher, in playing the Spanish classics; but Parkening's own musicality & taste are evident, too, in his adaptations of Bach.

One of the greatest nights of music I ever saw was Carlos Montoya at the Ambassador Auditorium in Pasadena more than twenty years ago.

seteca
11-22-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by David
....One of the greatest nights of music I ever saw was Carlos Montoya at the Ambassador Auditorium in Pasadena more than twenty years ago...

I have no doubt that it was indeed.:nod: Unfortunately he was around "before my time" so I never even had the opportunity to see him live, but I know a couple of people who saw him live (in the early 60's) and they say that they have never seen anything like it since - they think that he was even more skilled than Paco. All I have is recordings of the two, and to be honest, they both completely amaze me.