PDA

View Full Version : OSOTM

wondergirl9847
06-29-2002, 08:44 PM
I JUST bought OSOTM today (along with John Mayer's Room for Squares) and I am digging it alot! :D:D I love the sound, it's probably now my 2nd favorite solo album, after Bella Donna! :thumbsup: I LOVE Rooms on Fire, Long Way to Go and Ooh My Love the most. Of course, it is from 1989, the 80's RULE! :nod::nod: She's right, it's a magical sounding album!

estranged4life
06-29-2002, 10:23 PM
bought it?..Tsk, Tsk, Tsk...Just kiddin ya...lol...Brian

PS-Its in a tie for my fave Stevie album with "Bella Donna" & "TISL"...

wondergirl9847
06-29-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by estranged4life
bought it?..Tsk, Tsk, Tsk...Just kiddin ya...lol...Brian

PS-Its in a tie for my fave Stevie album with "Bella Donna" & "TISL"...

LOL Well, I am one of the resident LINDSEY fans, so I don't rush right out for the Stevie solos right away. I bought RAL first knowing for sure that I would LOVE it because it's so 80's (LOVE THE 80's!!), but I rarely listen to it! :laugh: I rarely listen to Wild Heart either, I listen to Bella Donna and TISL the most, they are my two faves, well, were, until I got this OSOTM, now, TISL takes 3rd place. I STILL don't have SA, which I've heard iffy things about, but being an FM/SN fan, I WILL eventually get it, I'm sure. I GOTTA have like...EVERYTHING! LOL :nod:

Sorcerer386
06-29-2002, 10:43 PM
Makes you kind of wonder why the album only spawned one top 20 hit, eh? I mean, imho Two Kinds of Love was not the best selection for a single, but Whole Lotta Trouble was a good choice. I have no idea why the song didn't even chart...although I never remember it being played, my mom says they played it a lot. I just think maybe this album for the average listener was *too* mystical and magical. I remember reading a review that said to buy it only if you liked Bella Donna, Wild Heart, and Rock a Little. It is, to me, like Tusk though...Stevie defined herself as a solo artist, so she went in and did something different -- made an album more about her and less about hits like Lindsey did with Tusk. I mean, it's a good album, just maybe it was a little too much for the average listener. The album itself even charted higher than Rock a Little. It's great that you bought it; it was my favorite Stevie album until TISL came along. :wavey:

estranged4life
06-29-2002, 10:45 PM
isn't as bad as everyone seems to think...But that's alright, I just bought OSOTM last spring after always passing it up, Ya gotta remember that I'm still a somewhat "metal-head" in music and I get around to different types of music outta boredom...And I also LOVE the 80's...lol...Some much so that I'm thinking of goint to see Poison/Cinderella/Faster Pussycat at the Zoo Amphitheatre in August
...lol...Brian

wondergirl9847
06-29-2002, 11:01 PM
Poison! How many times have I see their BTM on VH1!? LOL "It was not only the house of whores, it was the house or horrors" LMAO! I love the song, "Every Rose Has Its Thorn"! :thumbsup: I love the 80's because it was a VERY eclectic decade, new wave, pop, heavy metal, country was prominent and there are so many different kinds of rock..soft rock, pop rock, arena rock, hard rock...etc. :laugh: I just heard Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It" and cranked that sucker up! Also, Kim Wilde's "Keep Me Hangin On", THAT is also a crank it up song!! :thumbsup:

Anywho, back to the OSOTM, yep, Sorcerer, she def took a unique direction with this album, and I agree with the whole Tusk comparison, it's very strong lyrically and musically and just a very strong album, I'm loving it!! :nod::thumbsup:

ChickenShack
06-30-2002, 01:32 AM
I think OSOTM blows. She's singing half-dead on it! I mean I listen to it every so often but Street Angel is much better to me.

David
06-30-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by ChickenShack
I think OSOTM blows. She's singing half-dead on it! I mean I listen to it every so often but Street Angel is much better to me.
I'm pretty much of the same mind. I prefer "Street Angel" to "Mirror." I think my main problem with "Mirror" is the mix on most of the songs; there's practically no low end in the kick drum on any of these tunes, & Stevie's voice is mixed so tonelessly. It's got no oomph. I would cite Roxy Music's "Avalon" & Thomas Dolby's "Astronauts & Heretics" as examples of very synthy songs (like a lot of "Mirror") that are mixed beautifully & clearly.

Hawkeye
06-30-2002, 02:15 PM
i'm with David and CS. I mean there isn't an album of her's I don't like. "Rooms on Fire", Long Way To Go", and "Doing the Best I can" are the only standouts." There is ALOT of crap on Mirror. Cry Wolf(MY least favorite stevie song), I still miss someone, Two kinds of love(YUCK), Alice, Ghosts. I'll take Street Angel over Mirror any day.

ChickenShack
06-30-2002, 10:05 PM
Sorry--I should have been less harsh and said "sucks" instead of "blows." :lol:

Sorcerer386
06-30-2002, 11:42 PM
There is ALOT of crap on Mirror. Cry Wolf(MY least favorite stevie song), I still miss someone, Two kinds of love(YUCK), Alice, Ghosts.

pfft!!! :nod: j/k. I agree with I Still Miss Someone, the music at the beginning sounds like clown music. And Two Kinds of Love just doesn't cut it. I agree half way on Alice because the studio take is overdone, but I LOVE the live versions of the song, so therefore I have to say I love the song. As for Cry Wolf and especially Ghosts, you shall be stifled in your mockery! J/k again, but what's wrong with them?

I also agree only in part about Stevie singing half dead. For some reason around this time, to me, Stevie's voice had a lot of power behind it. I think it was because it had lowered, so the notes that used to come easier to her became a lot harder, so she had to put more power behind them. But then, sometimes she does sound a little tired, for example again, in Alice. I can't really think of anywhere else she sounds tired...maybe somewhat in Doing the Best that I Can. But I'm surprised (for some reason) to hear that some fans don't like OSOTM. It's just so...I don't know, Stevie-ish. Mystical, dark, and elusive. Then again, as I've said before, it can be a terrible song and I will like it if I like what the song is about, or even if I like certain lyrics or whatever. OSOTM up for discussion if anyone else wants to chime in! :wavey:

DrummerDeanna
07-01-2002, 02:55 AM
You know, I never really did get into OSOTM...I like it, but it's not one of my faves...I actually have listened to Street Angel more I think...actually...they're probably about equal...I skip several songs on both of those albums...but would never say that I didn't like the entire album...and someday I may even listen to all the songs I skip all the time...since I really just skip them out of habit now...I may end up liking them...but IMO Street Angel is not that bad....it just takes some getting used to hehe.

Ghosty
07-01-2002, 10:45 AM
about OSOTM - "I just think maybe this album for the average listener was *too* mystical and magical."

I actually heard Stevie say that she thought the album was less mystical like her past albums and more real. I think so too (although I see where you are coming from, because everything Stevie touches ends up magical sounding, I think too). I was, let's see, 18 when it came out. I liked it, and I ate up everything new of SN and FM. But it was not my favorite. The older I get, the more I like it. I used to not like Cry Wolf at all. I thought it was very boring for a Stevie song (although she didn't write it, did she?). But now I really love it. To me, it just seemed like the more experience and wisdom in life I got, the more I like that album. I always loved Long Way To Go, Ooh My Love (maybe my favorite on that album), Fire Burning, Doing the Best I Can, and Juliet. But I felt they could have been done better. I chalk it up to not liking Rupert Hine as a producer that much. Also, I was bummed that Mirror Mirror was not on it. With the whole Other Side Of The Mirror and Alice theme going. I was bummed that her "tradition" of having the title if the album also being the title of the first song on the album.

Oh well.

But I LOVE Street Angel! Kick It, Greta, Blue Denim, Maybe Love, Destiny, Rose Garden - I love it! Go buy it! I mean, by now it must be in the bargain bins or a cheap price. It is so worth that! I bought it full price the day it came out. I love it!

rhiannon1119
07-01-2002, 12:09 PM
I really like OSOTM, although there are some songs that I still like to skip on it. I love the first half of it. Anything after Whole Lotta Trouble I just can't seem to get into. I actually really like Street Angel just a teeny bit better. I also skip fewer songs on it.

:) Michelle

Bella Figura
07-01-2002, 12:09 PM
I am a big fan of both OTOSM and Street Angel...I actually rank OTOSM higher than Bella Donna on my favs list, but the one thing that bothers me about both albums is the production quality. On OTOSM the record's sound seems toooo quiet/low, it's probably because it was recorded in that big mansion rather than in a studio...and on Street Angel, there's too much post production with too many layers of musical instruments on several of the songs making the vocals sound muffled and strained... :wavey:

estranged4life
07-01-2002, 12:29 PM
the production on OSOTM sounds like the production Rupert Hine's used for Rush's 1989 release "Presto". Both these albums have the sound that's typical of a Hine's production...Kinda ironic though that both were released in 1989 and on Atlantic labels...Brian

Sorcerer386
07-01-2002, 03:48 PM
Well, the reason I say the album is so much more magical and mystical is because, first of all with all the different synthesizer sounds it just sounds like magic, and second of all because it's got a lot of fairy-tailish things in it. Ooh My Love with the castles, Ghosts, Cry Wolf, Alice, and Juliet, the last three being stories outside of the songs. With the realization (thanks to Johnny Stew) of Have No Heart, I really think that song would have been good on OSOTM, even though it obviously was written much later. But, it's just my opinion of how magical it is, and actually, that's what first attracted me to the album. It's just, to me, so different than anything else. As for Street Angel, the only problem I've ever seen with it is it's time of release. Music turned so terribly angst-like and grungy that by 1994, no one really wanted to hear about her type of songs. The majority of music fans seemed to just want to hear muffled guitar rock and artists singing about how terrible life is. I'm so sick of the "muffled guitar" sound that people like Creed, Puddle of Mudd, and Nickelback have. My mom gets confused because, and it's true imo, most of it sounds the same. Stevie might say OSOTM is more real, but I don't see how she can say it goes back to her roots, because it's definitely different than her style of the 70's and early 80's, musically anyway. And again, that's what I like about it...it's just so different to me. And imo, the songs are much more poetic and visual, and much more story-like. A lot of her songs are hard to get, but I get most of the songs on here with the exception of one in particular...Whole Lotta Trouble. I just wish I knew what that song was about. :wavey:

Ghosty
07-02-2002, 11:25 AM
I think that is also part of what Stevie said about OSOTM. In it being more "real" - and that it is more clearly understood and written. People do seem to "get" the songs on it more than some of her previous ones. And also she mentioned she basically "hid" less and was very honest and open in those songs. I think you hear more pain and stress of her life in that album too. She mentioned something to the effect of it being very honest. Which I think is another reason people love it. So yes, all her stuff to me seems magical. It really does. And with song titles like Ghosts and Alice and Juliet - it is a bit fantasy sounding. But all those songs then get into really deep and closely personal stuff with her. I think that is what that interview I saw was basically saying. And it seems that way to me too. No, it's not back to her roots. I never heard anything about that. It was quite different, or so it seemed to me.

Again, I think I just was not crazy about the producer.

sara1998
07-03-2002, 02:27 AM
It was about 6 years ago that I sat and really listen to OSTOM, and I was in love. I'm not going to argue about it, you like what you like, and it's your own opinion. But it's just got this cool sound to it; the album just seems to flow, and it's easy for me to get caught up in it. I can't drive and listen to it, because I want to listen with my eyes closed and feel every note.... (please don't think I'm strange, LOL!!) It is one of my Stevie solo faves.

Maria

sisterofthemoon
07-16-2002, 08:29 PM
OSOTM is probably my favorite Stevie album. Ooh My Love is so beautiful. The whole album is so gorgeous.

blinker12
07-17-2002, 09:02 AM
Interesting discussion!
I've always really liked "Mirror." I started getting into Mac in 1990, around the time of "Behind the Mask," and "Mirror" was the first Stevie solo album I heard. I think the songwriting is very strong: "Rooms On Fire," "Ooh My Love" and "Ghosts" rank among her best songs, in my opinion. A lot of Stevie's songs are more about having a groove than a strong melody, but those three are exceptions. Other people could cover them, and they'd still be great songs.
Sometimes, the production overwhelms the tunes. "Two Kinds of Love" is an example. I like the melody, but the sax and tinkling synths drench it in too much sonic syrup. And let's not even talk about "I Still Miss Someone."
Another complaint: I really dislike "Whole Lotta Trouble." I know Stevie really digs it, but I just find it kind of ugly.
But apart from those three tracks, I truly enjoy everything on OSOTM. I rank it right after Bella Donna and TISL.

itsmeangie
07-17-2002, 10:52 AM
it never really rocked my world.
i enjoy the album lyrically and each song has something to offer, but for me it lacked something i can't put my finger on. it probably has something to do with rupert hine. like someone stated earlier, i think the album would've fared better in the hands of a different producer.

*angie

The Tower
07-17-2002, 12:11 PM
Mirror has many facets. You can't really absorb it all as ONE package.

First, the production. A complete departure from her previous three solo albums. Bella Donna and Wild Heart were completely controlled by Jimmy Iovine and Shelly Yakus. Rock A Little was a patchwork of producers and the bottoming out of Stevie's cocaine thang. After all that, Rupine Hine came in and put his stamp on EVERYTHING. Co-writing songs, producing and arranging the entire album.

Second, the "demo" songs. "Cry Wolf"and "I Still Miss Someone" are pretty weak. With Rupert Hine in control, no one but Stevie knows whether or not she actually wanted these songs on the album. People tend to think that artists have a lot of control with regard to the sound of their album and the songs that are on it- but in reality, most artists don't have that kind of control.

Third, the songwriting. I think Mirror has the most honest, straight-forward songwriting of Stevie's career. The purest songs- i.e. the songs written solely by Stevie ("Juliet" "Doing the Best That I Can"), tend to have the most impact. "Ghosts" has got to be the most honest song she ever wrote. It's a direct reflection of her life and a look back on her past.

Fourth, the singing. This album was definitely the beginning of a new phase for her voice, but she still kicks ass. Just listen to "Juliet" and "Whole Lotta Trouble". Not forgetting Stevie's background vocals on "Long Way to Go" ("Can I be of any help to YOU!!!" ). Blistering!

If you separate the production from Stevie, you'll realize how good this material really is. I have the songbook at home on my piano and play a lot of these songs frequently. "Ooh My Love" is a triumph! The basic chords and melody give me goosebumps everytime- just on the piano.

On the other hand- the majority of Street Angel is pretty weak. "Docklands" "Unconditional Love", and "Greta" are really awful. The only highlights are "Blue Denim", "Love Is Like a River", "Rose Garden" and "Jane".

violetmemoriez
07-17-2002, 02:47 PM
one of my fave albums is rock a little, it's ace!!! I really love OSOTM, but songs like maybe love from SA I can't believe she wrote, I only like the actual song street angel and a couple of others from that album!

Becka

jwd
07-17-2002, 04:14 PM
Just to borrow from angie's line...."it never really rocked my world".....nor did it mine. For me it was more of an escape album. Something you could put on and just forget about everything that was going on. A group of songs that would take you to "the other side of the mirror". I've always had a strong affection for this album...the magic one, yes indeed. I do agree however that the production was lacking and could have been done a lot better if Stevie had more "control" at the time. I definitely would rank "Mirror" over SA(an incoherent mess.....if I do say so myself)!

Joe

Gypsy-Rhiannon
07-17-2002, 04:14 PM
but songs like maybe love from SA I can't believe she wrote

Do you mean Maybe Love WIll Change Your Mind??? Stevie didn;t write it....it was written by Rick Nowels and Sandy Stewart

Pip

Gypsy-Rhiannon
07-17-2002, 04:19 PM
OSOTM is probably my favorite Stevie album. Ooh My Love is so beautiful. The whole album is so gorgeous.

I totally agree....I love this album (though I do find Blues Eyes a tad irritating...hehehe)

Pip

violetmemoriez
07-17-2002, 05:06 PM
Do you mean Maybe Love WIll Change Your Mind??? Stevie didn;t write it....it was written by Rick Nowels and Sandy Stewart

ooh phew! lol

Becka

Ghosty
07-18-2002, 08:22 AM
I think OSOTM would have been better with a different producer. I love the demo for Whole Lotta Trouble that has a very raw sound to it. You can barely hear any horns, if at all. You hear a lot of strong, blues kind of bass and guitar. I really love it. But how it came out on OSOTM - eh, it's so-so. Where as I LOVE the demo. Same with Juliet. I like the demo better. I heard Stevie say that she had a whole bunch of demos and she handed them all over and let Rupert pick which ones to put on the album because she just couldn't decide (like, she loved all the songs so much, she didn't have the heart to drop any).

But I love Street Angel. I like the song Maybe Love, even though she didn't write it. I really like the music and guitar in it. I read a review that called it something like 'babbling brook" guitars (it was said as a compliment) and I liked how they described it. I LOVE Greta, and Kick It! And Blue Denim. I amnot so crazy about the song Street Angel. I think there could have been a few songs dropped, and a few others added (like, She Still Loves Him and Tied Up In Promises) that would have made it great. Somewhere in one of these posts I "put together" what my ultimate idea for Street Angel would have been. It was fun! I think I might make my own tape of songs and create my own little "should'a been" Street Angel cd! :)

sisterofthemoon
07-18-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon

I totally agree....I love this album (though I do find Blues Eyes a tad irritating...hehehe)

Pip

I'm glad you agree...you're right though. i can't even listen to Blue eyes. It's just so.....not Stevie.

Sorcerer386
07-18-2002, 05:31 PM
You know, I could listen to Maybe Love over and over and over and still not be sick of it, and I don't know why. Even at one point I got a little tired of listening to Ooh My Love which is one of my very favorites, but Maybe Love just never gets old for me. However, I think I like the remix a little more, especially with the guitar part in the, I guess it's the bridge, but the part that starts "You want me to be there..." And I like the background singers at the end of the song: "Maybe love (A look, a touch), Maybe love (A kiss, for luck)." The only thing with this song is it is a little, I don't know, abstract I guess, even more so than Edge of 17. But I just can't get enough of Maybe Love.

highpriestess53
07-20-2002, 05:27 PM
OSOTM..... I remember when I first got this album I had been through a god awful time with a mad bad boyfriend had to move back into my parents house who were not terribly welcoming.....and I worked at a super market as a Green Grocer......to which I had to cycle the better part of 15 miles each day ....Stevie's OSOTM accompanied me everyday on my personal cassette player as they were way back in 89'...it got me through a lot of s**t .....things then picked up and I moved to Spain to work as a Nanny....naturally Stevie came with me....well her albums did...LOL!!

I agree that this album has a 'magical' quality about it and in all the years that I have possessed this album I have never grown tired of it.....:wavey: :wavey:

FiercestCalmSea
07-20-2002, 08:54 PM
I moved to Spain to work as a Nanny....

Ahh you worked as a nanny Louise?? That is so cool..that is what i do right now...i love it :)

highpriestess53
07-21-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by FiercestCalmSea

Ahh you worked as a nanny Louise?? That is so cool..that is what i do right now...i love it :)

Yes I did for nearly two years......it was a GREAT time especially when we went out on the Motorcruiser, speed boat or skiing trips, the uniform was a bikini and my job to keep the kids occupied and happy at the beach or in the pool......but what is sad is that the parents of the kids that I looked after didn't go out to work......I was there for their convenience so that they could take off whenever they wanted. Having had kids myself kids.....those parents really missed out on sooooooo much. :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Gypsy-Rhiannon
07-22-2002, 01:14 AM
I worked as a Nanny too!!

Pip