PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Fashion

nightbird28
06-24-2002, 03:48 AM
As a teenager I pay attention...well to the opposite sex. Quite a bit and lately I've been noticing that most girls around 15-18 some have a sorta Stevie look as far as clothing.

I also noticed this just poped into my head. That Alica Key's head thing she wears a lot looks like the thing stevie is wearing on her head on the cover of the Edge of 17 single cover.

Why is it that it seems every summer lately Stevie comes into style? She could capitalize a lot on her fashion, why hasn't she?

violetmemoriez
06-24-2002, 06:03 AM
I think she should, it would be brill to have stevie noticed for the fashion , i'm 19 and i love the steviesque stuff oyt! i'm going shopping tiday no doubt to get some kinda stevie acessory lol

Becka

sulamith
06-24-2002, 07:37 AM
Well, guys, let old Auntie Sharon show her age a little bit! LOL! It just seems so "Stevie" because she is one of the few people who never really stopped wearing all the 70's stuff. She was wearing all that flowy, gypsy stuff in the 80's when it was out of style, and remember people giving me a hard time about liking Stevie because "oh, she is so flower child, so out-dated"

Bell bottoms, and the whole hippie look were on their way out by 79. I was a sophmore in HS, and the "cigarette leg" jeans were in then. The hippie look was ragged, we wanted to be preppy.

In the early to mid 70's, everyone was wearing those little crochet skull caps, handkercheif sleeves, bell bottoms, platforms, and lots of beaded jewelry. Look at old TV shows like "All in the Family" Gloria wears the same suede boots as Stevie, lots of shawls and flowy dresses. That is just what was in style at the time, and now it is back in style. People who are wearing it now are just evoking the feeling of the 70's, not really copying Stevie.

Don't get me wrong, Stevie is a fashion icon because she stuck with the look long after it had abandoned for a sleeker, cleaner look in the 80's, and she caught hell for it.

I just don't want all you "younguns" who weren't around then to think Stevie invented that look or something. The look of the 70's was invented by the times, and she is so much a part of that whole way of thinking from then. She still thinks like a hippie chick, and I really love her for that.

I wish she would "go back to the gypsy that she was" as well, and stop with this boring wardrobe of late, but I think someone has given her some bad fashion advice. There are people who believe "If a trend comes around for a second time in your lifetime, you are too old to wear it. Stick with classics."

I think she should wear more modest versions of her old look, more colors and jewelry, etc..
After all, Cher is wearing all the stuff from the 70's and she is OLDER than Stevie!

BellaDonnaGypsy
06-24-2002, 07:58 AM
LOL! Auntie Sharon... :laugh: That's just so wrong, knowing what you're like. ;)

I kind of agree with what you wrote, but I kind of don't too. In the early days she was definitely more classic hippie chic... but the look became almost like a hippie-goth hybrid... she messed around with the whole image by adding little touches, like her top hat, and the all black stuff. Stevie was never just a fashion clone... she created something that was totally her, and I think that is why her whole look has stood the test of time.

Laura.

FiercestCalmSea
06-24-2002, 08:38 AM
I remember when i first started getting into Stevie and her music,i thought her clothes were amazing,and that she was the only one who dressed like that.Not the case,though...as i found when looking through some of my mom's old clothes...you know that outfit Stevie wore for CalJam in 78'? My mom has something almost exactly like that...and the dress from the Tusk video? Guess what...except for the sleeves being a tad bit different,it is the same...So i don't necessarily associate the current fashion trends with just Stevie,even though the long billowy-sleeved numbers make me think of stuff she has worn.
I agree with Sulamith on Stevie's current wardrobe though...I mean..WHO tells her to wear the same outfit all the time...good god..she is not fat,and there are so many different things she would look good in...

sulamith
06-24-2002, 08:57 AM
HAHA!

You guys are so funny!

Yes, Laura, I do have to agree that Stevie did put a few of her own twists on the classic hippie chick look, and I loved on her fan
club episode where she said she was heavily influenced by Jimi Hendrix!
Man, when you seen him perform, it looks like Stevie really liked the way "that fringe was flying" as she described it, because she sure likes to make hers fly around just like he did!

Also, she really did mess with her look too much by 89, probably, again due to bad advice and no longer following her own inner voice. I really hated to see her in those red satin corsets and gloves and with that HUGE hair, a la OSOTM era. That was due to the klonopin, I guess. That red satin glove with the ring on TOP of the glove.....well, all I can say is I hope whoever put that outfit together got fired! The real Stevie looked a little lost under all that poufy stuff. I can see why Lindsey made the comment that he didn't recognize her at all by that time ( :( ) how sad! He probably wondered where his Stevie had gone.

That's why, even after seeing it a hundred times, I still get shivers when he says on the FM BTM, with his eyes all sparkly and happy, "This was the girl I used to live with!" OMG, what did she do that put that look there? The imagination runs wild, ladies!

So, even though her look is boring now, maybe she is afraid of going too far in that direction again, so she stays low key. I don't agree with it, I'm just trying to understand it!

EnchantedStorms
06-26-2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by sulamith
That's why, even after seeing it a hundred times, I still get shivers when he says on the FM BTM, with his eyes all sparkly and happy, "This was the girl I used to live with!" OMG, what did she do that put that look there? The imagination runs wild, ladies!

Ooooh, he just makes my heart flutter when he says that!! LMAO!! Gotta love those Lindsey eyes...:nod: :D And what is it he says after that?? "It was no longer bittersweet...it was just sweet"....? or something like that...*sigh*...:D

And, lol...before I get totally off subject...I LOVE the way Stevie dressed for Tango...just her hair, her clothes, everything. Very pretty.

~~Angela~~:wavey: