PDA

View Full Version : Rhiannon at the House of Blues

sodascouts
05-16-2002, 11:17 PM
I downloaded from AudioGalaxy a file labelled "Rhiannon" from the House of Blues. It's a great version that lasts over 10 minutes. What I'm trying to figure out is what the year is. It's not from her 1999 performance there - so does anybody know other years she performed there?

The reason its so puzzling to me is that it starts out with the slow beginning she does now, but she actually does the old-fashioned peppy ending, too - and when was the last time she did that?

So, if anybody can give me a guess about the year, I'd appreciate it.

AliP
05-16-2002, 11:22 PM
I know she did one in 1994 but I don't know if that's it.

David
05-17-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by sodascouts
I downloaded from AudioGalaxy a file labelled "Rhiannon" from the House of Blues. It's a great version that lasts over 10 minutes. What I'm trying to figure out is what the year is.

1994 "Street Angel" tour

Great tour, by the way, if you get the chance to hear anything more from it (although this particular radio show had a lot of studio overdub work on it with the lead vocals).

ricohv
05-17-2002, 11:51 AM
I recently got a recording of this show and just can't beleive how great it is. I never would've guessed since it is from the Street Angel tour. I think it has about the best Rhiannon, Stand Back and Talk to Me live versions that I've heard. She seems to branch out a little more vocally than she usually does. Also does some nice little acapella (almost) harmonizing things with the girls...and does a solo version of The Chain! I know she wants to write off all the years on klonopin but this show is better musically and vocally than any of the shows I've seen or heard from TISL!

David
05-17-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by ricohv
I recently got a recording of this show and just can't beleive how great it is. I never would've guessed since it is from the Street Angel tour. I think it has about the best Rhiannon, Stand Back and Talk to Me live versions that I've heard. She seems to branch out a little more vocally than she usually does. Also does some nice little acapella (almost) harmonizing things with the girls...and does a solo version of The Chain! I know she wants to write off all the years on klonopin but this show is better musically and vocally than any of the shows I've seen or heard from TISL!
I thought "Street Angel" was the best Stevie Nicks solo tour in ... well, decades. I think she was off the antianxiety drug by then, & was pretty clear-eyed & was certainly able to sing on key & strongly. In fact, I had been ignoring my collecting for many years until I went to the 1994 shows; it was really hearing that powerful voice once again, clear & on key, that drew me back into collecting & made me excited again about her career, which I had pretty much written off before that point. I'm really sorry she got so bummed over her weight that year because the tour was so good & had so many high points that it should have continued as planned & even gone overseas. Actually, the only night she didn't quite deliver was the House of Blues show at the end of the tour, owing to an attack of asthma. Jim Ladd broadcast that show live via KLSX to his local market in Los Angeles & you could hear her strain a bit vocally because of the asthma. So apparently she fixed it up for the syndicated broadcast on Westwood One.

She sang a lot of top-notch shows on the tour, but my favorites are Sacramento, Holmdel NJ & Las Vegas NV. Besides Stevie's great singing, the band was pretty damn good, too, with Rick Vito on lead (who put some blues muscle into his solos) & Russ Kunkel back on drums. Great tour ... I miss it.

sodascouts
05-17-2002, 03:18 PM
Thanks for answering my question. I just assumed, from what Stevie has said, that the Street Angel tour sucked. Now I want to hear the whole thing in toto. I'll look around for it on AudioGalaxy, although honestly I doubt they have it.

I SO wish Stevie would do Rhiannon like that now. It didn't seem to strain her voice then, and that was post-cocaine-nose! Ah, well.

Christopher
05-17-2002, 03:23 PM
I agree.....I saw Stevie on the Street Angel tour 3 times, once in Denver and twice in L. A......and despite the her lackluster CD sales of that year, the shows were pretty packed....and her vocals were among her strongest and best. By and away better than now!!! or during the Tango, OSOTM and Behind the mask period. It seemed she had some weight behind that voice and I thoroughly enjoyed her volumptious delivery.
Too bad all the critic's could focus on was her weight.

The only thing I could have done without, was that big-ole crimped hair everywhere she turned up.

For proof of her vocal strength, just check out her Letterman performance in June of 94' of Blue denim. In my opinion she delivered one of her best TV performnace vocally ever....she really Kicked it!

estranged4life
05-17-2002, 05:16 PM
that version of Rhiannon rocks!!!...'Nuff said...Brian

Sorcerer386
05-17-2002, 05:34 PM
I've said for a long time that I loved a lot of the Street Angel performances I've seen and heard, and I think a lot of it had to do with her weight. I think that she felt that she had to prove herself when she was that heavy, so she just went all out on the vocals. I'm not saying she DID have to prove herself, just maybe that because of critics and the poor album sales, she might have felt like, Well, I've got to show these people I'm still great. That Rhiannon I think is so greatly delivered at the end, Stand Back is awesome when she keeps doing the higher "Well you could be standing in a line!!!" part. And from what my dad tells me, he was in the third pit row at the Pittsburgh SA show, and people were so wound up that they were throwing chairs at each other...my mom always laughs and says she had to run away because she was scared of getting squashed. :wavey: