PDA

View Full Version : Street Angel - Original UK producer?

nodmod
04-14-2002, 06:04 PM
Whilst we are on the subject of Street Angel.

I have just listened to an interview Stevie gave to Mary Turner in 1994, where she discusses how upset she was with the Street Angel project and in particular the british producer (who I have no idea who he is).

She went on to say that she tweaked some of the songs before release but was still not 100% happy with the album.

Now who is this British producer who gave Stevie such a hard time???

Whoever he is, he needs a good slapping with a very large wet fish!!!!.

Can any ledgies advise on who this jerk is?

estranged4life
04-14-2002, 09:10 PM
but I thought it was Glyn Johns who was supposed to have produced "Street Angel" but there was apparently some kind of falling out between himself and Stevie...Like I said, I could be wrong on this...Brian

Sorcerer386
04-14-2002, 10:39 PM
Isn't it Thom Panunzio? I remember her saying "the producer" flew back to Europe, and she snuck in to the studio and tried to fix the album. The only two producers listed are Stevie and Panunzio...

estranged4life
04-14-2002, 10:44 PM
Thom Panunzio, But I know that Glyn Johns is British & I think Thom Panunzio is an American...I remember reading something that Stevie said about in negative regards about Glyn Johns were I take it that he was indeed the person who was to have produced "Street Angel", But I cannot remember where I read that at...Brian

bwboy
10-29-2016, 12:44 PM
Feel free to correct me, but I'm pretty sure Glyn Johns was the British producer, and was the one whom Stevie was referring to. She apparently hated working with him and the feeling was likely mutual. He may have requested his name be removed, especially since Stevie and Thom Panuzio made some changes to some of the songs. I have a Japanese version of Street Angel, which has two extra songs that were produced by Johns- God's Garden and Inspiration, and they are depressing and pretty bad, but interesting.

Johns is dead now, but a recent biography about him briefly mentioned his work with Stevie. I remember there were a number of delays before Street Angel was finally released, and the first single kept changing from Blue Denim to Unconditional Love to Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind.

Macfan4life
10-29-2016, 01:51 PM
Stevie was not in the best state during this time. She was having her first album flop and actually cancelled lots of tour dates because of the critics talking about her weight and how bad the record was doing. If I remember correctly part of the record or at least half was recorded prior to Stevie's intense rehab. You could imagine how difficult that situation would be.
I always thought Stevie was unusually harsh during this time to go as far to tell people to not buy her album (on the Mary Turner interview).
I think Street Angel is an amazing album. I love about 70% of it. I think because it was not successful made Stevie blame others. I think her state of mind was bad too. Street Angel is guitar based like Bella Donna was. Lots of great songs and a few duds here and there. IMHO you should never judge a record on sale numbers. If you did then Lindsey Buckingham made the worst solo albums in history. Street Angel also holds up. Stevie wanted to rework some of the songs vocally but I think her vocals are fine. I just think it was another reason to blame for its lack of success.
For the record, Glyn Johns has worked with the Rolling Stones, The Who, The Beatles, Eric Clapton, Linda Ronstadt, Bob Dylan, The Clash, and Crosby Stills and Nash to only name a few. His great work speaks for itself. I don't think he could have "ruined" anything Stevie did. I just thought it was out of character for Stevie to write about runaways instead of her traumatic love spells.

On Ice
10-29-2016, 03:18 PM
Although it has some missteps, Street Angel is hardly her worst work, and certainly not her best, but during this period, vocally she was on fire and had she been more inspired, we'd be looking at this period which much fondness. It's the last time her voice was crystal clear and not a hint of nasality in a bigly way. The work she did with Rick Vito, Desiree, Intuition and witness the great take on Mirror Mirror. Blue Denim, Greta, Listen to the Rain and Kick It are great songs. Docklands, Jane and Unconditional Love, not so much. Although all of the material is an early 90's vibe to it, it's not that bad. Not to say it couldn't have been better and she certainly had some better material in the vault to choose from. Glad she didn't choose to release the island version of If You Were My Love, it's not good.

Some of the live recordings around the period are also, just amazing.

TheWildHeart67
10-29-2016, 03:18 PM
I think Street Angel was the weakest album in her solo career. I didn't like it when it came out, and I don't like it now. The production was overdone the background vocals by the backup singers were overdone. It just was not a very good album. And I don't blame her for not liking it. I don't like it either

Jondalar
10-29-2016, 03:24 PM
I think Street Angel was the weakest album in her solo career. I didn't like it when it came out, and I don't like it now. The production was overdone the background vocals by the backup singers were overdone. It just was not a very good album. And I don't blame her for not liking it. I don't like it either

The songs were weak. You can't blame production for everything.

KarmaContestant
10-29-2016, 04:01 PM
I have to disagree on the production of Street Angel being overdone - that's The Other Side of the Mirror. Street Angel is vastly stripped down in comparison, and I see it as a return to her country-rock roots in many ways.

I didn't love Street Angel when it came out, but I love it now. However, I do totally understand the dismay with which many fans regard it.

StreetAngel86
10-29-2016, 04:48 PM
Feel free to correct me, but I'm pretty sure Glyn Johns was the British producer, and was the one whom Stevie was referring to. She apparently hated working with him and the feeling was likely mutual. He may have requested his name be removed, especially since Stevie and Thom Panuzio made some changes to some of the songs. I have a Japanese version of Street Angel, which has two extra songs that were produced by Johns- God's Garden and Inspiration, and they are depressing and pretty bad, but interesting.

God's Garden and Inspiration are two of the BEST things about SA omg
you wound with your words
:lol:

Jane and Unconditional Love are absolutely the weakest songs on there.
Swap them for GG and Inspiration.
I dislike JLAW too ... but that's just me.
Greta needed to be the rocky RAL version ... Jane needed to be the outtake

I love Docklands but i know I'm in the minority :D

I'd die to hear Kick It live

olive
10-29-2016, 04:57 PM
street angel represent a period of time and the state she was in i don't hate it , i don't listen to it as a record but songs play randomly on my ipod and they are all better than welcome to the room sara , when i see you again and Cecelia

bwboy
10-29-2016, 05:59 PM
God's Garden and Inspiration are two of the BEST things about SA omg
you wound with your words
:lol:

Jane and Unconditional Love are absolutely the weakest songs on there.
Swap them for GG and Inspiration.
I dislike JLAW too ... but that's just me.
Greta needed to be the rocky RAL version ... Jane needed to be the outtake

I love Docklands but i know I'm in the minority :D

I'd die to hear Kick It live

Sorry, StreetAngel. I know this sounds weird, but I think those two songs are so bad, they're kind of good! But being the last 2 songs on the CD, they made for a real downer of a close, if that makes sense. Maybe if they had been spaced out on the CD would have helped.

And just like you're in the minority about liking Docklands, I'm in the minority about liking Unconditional Love. I love that song, but I can see why others don't care for it.

Jondalar
10-29-2016, 06:42 PM
Sorry, StreetAngel. I know this sounds weird, but I think those two songs are so bad, they're kind of good! But being the last 2 songs on the CD, they made for a real downer of a close, if that makes sense. Maybe if they had been spaced out on the CD would have helped.

And just like you're in the minority about liking Docklands, I'm in the minority about liking Unconditional Love. I love that song, but I can see why others don't care for it.

Docklands was a well written song she hacked with a horrible vocal. Her vocal is almost unlistenable on it. Inspiration was the best song on that album and it wasn't on the album.

AnthonyMI
10-29-2016, 07:29 PM
Didn't Johns produce Thousand Days and the SA version of Mirror Mirror? Those along with Inspiration i think blow everything else from the actually release of SA OUT OF THE WATER vocally and lyrically.

snroxman
10-29-2016, 08:08 PM
Street Angel is actually one of my favorite albums. It has some great moments and weak moments, and showed us a side of the artist we might not have otherwise gotten to see. The vocals on this tour, and the few shows in 1996, were phenomenal!

MovieStarView
10-29-2016, 08:57 PM
It is wild to see so many loves versus hates when it comes to this cd and its tunes. Street angel is my second most beloved nicks cd. I'm weird. I know this.
Straight up it's half pop rock and straight up it's half pop ballads. It's not a typical nicks cd because there isn't any fleetwood fairy dust inside it like gypsy and straight back.. Nor is it outlined in dark atmosphere or culty like sorcerer, gold dust woman and songs like that. It's an atypical nicks album and i think that's why it gets so much hate.
I can't live without love is like a river, docklands, greta, street angel and maybe love.
I don't even think unconditional love and jane are all that bad either.
I can't stand inspiration and god's garden. they're god awful abysmal and an irony is that neither songs inspire me or want to walk through god's garden. Ha ha ha.
We had the cassette tape when i was little and saw her on that tour. It was my first exposure and maybe that's why it's so dear to me.
My dislikes would be the cover and inner sleeve art, even the back. I've seen other photography sessions from this time period that would have better suited this amalgamation of songs. Yes?
I don't think there is a point to me writing a post response here. Ha ha ha. But street angel is the best and i wanted to defend it for my heart. It is my heart and like the other side of the mirror and wild heart will always be one of my favorite cd's. :)

StreetAngel86
10-30-2016, 03:31 AM

oooh see ... i never listen to cds in order
they're always on random
or i listen to my mps3 randomly.
maybe if they were in the middle of the cd it would be ok
i think there was an alt track listing for the original version of the CD
and God's Garden was last
i think that song's a bit too heavy to end the album on :shocked:
but it's still better than jane ... :rolleyes: :xoxo:

i love that there's so much love/hate for this album
it's my 2nd fave based on how many songs i skip relative to other albums
there's still stuff on it i dont like
but i think it's an important to look beyond that and the song choices and go back to the moment it was being created

not liking it or not even listening to it because Stevie wants nothing to do with it/that era is unacceptable.
sure, most see it as her weakest album but there's crap and awesome on all of her albums
ALL of her SA songs are infinitely better than the crap that is CTF :D and i will stick by that forever :D

Fannymac
10-31-2016, 03:30 PM
It was definitely Glyn Johns....I still have the release sheet from WEA with the original track listing, and he's definitely listed as the producer.