PDA

View Full Version : Warren Zevon

jeffles
03-21-2002, 09:25 AM
Don't know how many of you guys are familiar with LB's work with Classic rock veteran Warren Zevon. Lindsey played guitar on a few songs and sang background on Zevon's brilliant self-titled debut album from 1976. Especially noteworthy is LB's great b-vocals on the hilarious song, "poor poor pitiful me". LB would later perform on his 1982 album, The Envoy, as well. Definetely worth checking out.

celestenadia
03-21-2002, 02:46 PM
I MET Warren Zevon a couple of years ago at the front desk of the St.Petersberg Hilton!
He was checking in while I was checking out. He announced his real name (surprising...no
pseudonym...) to the clerk and the clerk was like "Warren what?". And then I piped in
"Zevon! Z E V O N!" To which Warren immediately started chuckling.... Since he had his pen
out, I asked him for his autograph. He was very nice and gracious. Cool.

chiliD
03-21-2002, 04:43 PM
Not to be picky, but the album with "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" (and "Mohammad's Radio" that Stevie & Lindsey both appear on), was Warren's SECOND album...he'd released an album titled "Zevon" about two years prior to that one.

jeffles
03-22-2002, 09:11 AM
chiliD- The album featuring both Poor Poor pitiful Me and Mohammed's Radio, among other classics, was Warren's major label debut from 1976. His more popular album, Exitable Boy, which features Werewolves of London, the title track and Lawyers, Guns & Money came out in 1978. If you want to be real technical, he actually releases a small label, out of print album called Wanted Dead or Alive back in 1969.

jeffles
03-22-2002, 09:55 AM
Just as a sidenote, that 1976 self titled album is considered one of the defining records of the 70's California rock scene, right up there with Hotel California, Rumours, Sweet Baby James and Tapestry.

sodascouts
03-22-2002, 10:31 PM
I think Warren Zevon is great! "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" is one of my favorites. There's another song Lindsey's on that I adore called "The Overdraft". It's on "The Envoy." My favorite part: "If I do say so, I can't let go, and I DON'T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!!!!!!" (You can hear Lindsey hollerin' in the background too! lol)

I also like "Reconsider Me", which is on Stevie's boxset. Apparently Lindsey, Stevie and Warren hung out back in the Buckingham Nicks days. Cool, huh?

wondergirl9847
03-23-2002, 10:52 AM
Ater I read this thread, I went to AG to download the song The Overdraft, and I love hearing Lindsey in the background SCREAMING! That is greatness!! :blob1::blob2: Thanks you guys for letting us know about these songs, I am enjoying hearing this never-before-heard-by-me-stuff!! :lol: I also downloaded Walls with Tom Petty, but *ducking* I have never liked Tom's voice, :shrug: I'm sorry, you guys, it's not my thing, but Lindsey MAKES THE SONG GREAT!!!!! :nod::nod: He can make any song, GREATNESS, like Jessica said!! :thumbsup:

Skylark
03-23-2002, 09:06 PM
:wavey: Hi! You Fortunate Fans of Lindsey!!!
Would it be possible for one of you to please send me
that funny hollerin' song on Real Player or Real Juke Box?:D
Lindsey tickles me when he does that weird-O stuff! ;)
I just cannot get enough of Lindsey being naughty!:eek:Sky!

wondergirl9847
03-23-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by SoulDrifter1949

Hey Christy! :wavey: :nod: :nod: Lindsey's screaming backgroud vocals on The Overdraft are, as you say :), GREATNESS!!! hehe

I'm not exacty a fan of Tom either....he is ok, but his voice doesn't really...appeal to me that much either. But still, he is cool, and Lindsey being on Walls IS what makes it awesome to me!!! :nod:

:wavey:

:) HEHE Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't care for Tom's voice. Yeah, that song Walls is a keeper since Lindsey is a part of it! :nod: I wanna hear every song with Lindsey on background or guitar! :D ;)

jeffles
03-27-2002, 10:38 AM
Tom Petty's voice isn't one of the strongest rock voices, but he makes up for it with his excellent songwriting. Wall is a great song w/ or w/o LB on it, though, you can't deny how strong the backing vocals are on it.
Wondergirl, try downloading "poor poor pitiful me" or "Mohammed's Radio", LB sings on both, and SN sings on the latter as well. Both songs are great.
If anyone wants to hear LB on some other songs, you might want to pick up Walter Egan's first two records, which LB and SN sang on nearly every song. As well, LB was prominantely featured on a few John Stewart records in the early 80's. There is one particular great song called American Way, which was just released on CD and can be downloaded on Kazaa.

Mari
03-28-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by chiliD
Not to be picky, but the album with "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" (and "Mohammad's Radio" that Stevie & Lindsey both appear on), was Warren's SECOND album...he'd released an album titled "Zevon" about two years prior to that one.

not to be picky :D but those would be nrs 2 & 3, as I have something called Wanted Dead Or Alive on cd, originally from .. 1970? just guessing because the cd's from 1996. features ao She Quit me (from Midnight Cowboy soundtrack)

or is this a bootleg?

chiliD
03-28-2002, 01:10 PM
The one I referred to as being titled "Zevon" was actually the "Wanted Dead Or Alive" album that jeffles mentioned earlier. Warren wasn't using his first name back then, the album's artist credit is "Zevon", that's where I erred in my recollection. :)

Mari
03-28-2002, 04:01 PM
ah! indeed. should've known better than try to correct you, LOL ;)

Hey, the song Iko-Iko on that one, my mother said once she knew that song, do you know, has it been a hit by Zevon, or is it a coverversion?

chiliD
03-28-2002, 04:32 PM
The big hit of "Iko Iko" was done by the Dixie Cups in the late 50's/early 60's...there've been MANY cover versions of it since then (and I'm pretty sure that The Dixie Cups' version was a cover as well). The Neville Bros, Buckwheat Zydeco, Irma Thomas, Cyndi Lauper, Ringo Starr's All-Starr Band, Dr. John, Harry Nilssson, and many more that I can't name, have all covered "Iko Iko".

jeffles
03-28-2002, 04:52 PM
Grateful Dead also did a great version of Iko Iko.
Zevon's version is pretty decent....

AliP
04-03-2002, 03:40 PM
I'm trying to find "Poor, Poor, Pitiful, Me" and "The Overdraft" on audio galaxy and can't find either one. If anybody has these could you please send them to me? My email is gldustwm@mindspring.com or send them to me on audiogalaxy my user name is gldustwm.

Thanks so much!

nodmod
04-20-2002, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by AliP
I'm trying to find "Poor, Poor, Pitiful, Me" and "The Overdraft" on audio galaxy and can't find either one. If anybody has these could you please send them to me? My email is gldustwm@mindspring.com or send them to me on audiogalaxy my user name is gldustwm.

Thanks so much!

I have posted this awesome song on my Audio and Video page at www.fleetwoodmac-uk
Check it out, the Lindsey screaming and guitar are awesome.

Please let me know me know what you think via the guestbook or message board on the site.

jeffles
04-22-2002, 03:10 PM
Alip, "the overdraft" may be a little harder to find than "poor poor pitiful me" since the overdraft was on the out-of-print Envoy record. Poor poor pitiful me was on the self titled, readily available "Warren Zevon" album, which everyone should listen to in its entirety.

Skylark
04-29-2002, 08:18 PM
:wavey: Hi Mari!!! :wavey:
How are you over there? I miss e-mailing
ya'...we had some fun F Mac times!!! ;) :D
Yahhh...we should know better than to
correct Mr. Music Man...he's a keeper! Sky:)

Mari
04-30-2002, 04:54 AM
hi there! check your pm's, like I don't do often enough, just found out.. ;)