PDA

View Full Version : Mike talks Future of Heartbreakers

jbrownsjr
09-19-2018, 02:15 PM
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-petty-724996/

gldstwmn
09-19-2018, 02:46 PM
https://www.arlingtontours.com/general-information

I see what you did there but don't you think using Arlington is just a tiny bit disrespectful to those who are actually buried there? Not just anyone can be buried at Arlington.

jeets2000
09-19-2018, 02:56 PM
I'm going to take a leap and assume the wrong link inadvertently got pasted here...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/mike-campbell-heartbreakers-tom-petty-724996/

Mike Campbell on the Heartbreakers: ‘We’ll Play Again Someday’
Guitarist considering Wildflowers tribute show with guest singers, but don’t expect an arena tour anytime soon
By ANDY GREENE

In the immediate aftermath of Tom Petty’s sudden death last October, guitarist Mike Campbell believed that the Heartbreakers would never perform together again. “I just couldn’t think about doing that,” he tells Rolling Stone. “I thought it would just be too sad since we’d be missing our other brother.” But now that nearly a year has passed, he’s had a change of heart. “Of course we’ll play again someday,” he says. “We love each other too much not to do that.”

How exactly it’ll happen remains a question. Campbell will spend much of the next year, at the very least, on tour with Fleetwood Mac. During downtime, he’ll play gigs with his longtime side project the Dirty Knobs. But once his schedule opens up, he’s open to the idea of getting back with the Heartbreakers in some capacity, possibly after the long-awaited Wildflowers box set finally comes out. “It would be a great tribute to Tom to just do that album,” says Campbell. “We’d probably have four or five different guest singers with us. We don’t know who they might be though or when this might happen.”

One thing that’ll never happen, however, is an arena tour with the band playing Petty tunes with a new singer. “We’ll never go out with Paul Rodgers [who performed with Queen for five years] or someone else,” says Campbell. “Nobody can fill those shoes. I can’t fill them and I don’t know anybody else that I would want to fill them.”

Campbell says he’s more intrigued more at the Heartbreakers cutting new material with another singer/songwriter. “In the stretch of my imagination, if there’s somebody that we really respect that would want to do an album with a band, we could maybe do that,” says Campbell. “And if we made an album together and that felt really good and we wanted to go on the road as a whole, doing different songs, maybe there’d be a place for that in the future. But that’s just pie-in-the-sky talk. But it definitely would have to be all new material. It wouldn’t be going out and doing Heartbreakers songs without Tom. That would just be like…ugh.”

jbrownsjr
09-19-2018, 05:03 PM
I see what you did there but don't you think using Arlington is just a tiny bit disrespectful to those who are actually buried there? Not just anyone can be buried at Arlington.

Oh lord!! I was looking up touring places for WASH DC because I'm meeting Elle. And I copied the wrong link!!

So sorry. :lol:

jbrownsjr
09-19-2018, 05:03 PM
I edited it. Sorry guys. Now, you can truly call me the bad moderator. :sorry:

gldstwmn
09-19-2018, 06:10 PM
Oh lord!! I was looking up touring places for WASH DC because I'm meeting Elle. And I copied the wrong link!!

So sorry. :lol:

Oh my. I thought you were being cheeky i.e. The Heartbreakers are dead. :o

jbrownsjr
09-19-2018, 06:59 PM
Oh my. I thought you were being cheeky i.e. The Heartbreakers are dead. :o

I'm know I'm not a favorite... but, that's Homer territory. :lol:

iamnotafraid
09-19-2018, 07:56 PM
Mike Campbell on the Heartbreakers: ‘We’ll Play Again Someday’

...he’s open to the idea of getting back with the Heartbreakers in some capacity, possibly after the long-awaited Wildflowers box set finally comes out. “It would be a great tribute to Tom to just do that album,” says Campbell. “We’d probably have four or five different guest singers with us. We don’t know who they might be though or when this might happen.”

Campbell says he’s more intrigued at the Heartbreakers cutting new material with another singer/songwriter.

Now I just wonder who would be one of the four or five
guest singers?

Cutting new material with let me guess who. Too easy.

Poor Mick isn't a Heartbreaker. #shegotmetoo.

Storms123
09-19-2018, 08:12 PM
guest singers?

FM really may be done after this

jbrownsjr
09-19-2018, 08:21 PM
FM really may be done after this

They were done after the BuckVie tour ended. :(

HomerMcvie
09-19-2018, 08:34 PM

Yep. A good way to go. Too bad Dick and John didn't do the tour, though. That would have been the Perfekt ending.

Free at last. Lord have mercy, we're goat free at last! :xoxo:

Storms123
09-19-2018, 09:07 PM

Very true. Spot on. I guess THEY were the last to know!

bombaysaffires
09-19-2018, 09:25 PM
guest singers?

"there are no girls in the heartbreakers"

jbrownsjr
09-19-2018, 10:00 PM
Yep. A good way to go. Too bad Dick and John didn't do the tour, though. That would have been the Perfekt ending.

Free at last. Lord have mercy, we're goat free at last! :xoxo:

That sounds like a milk ad. Goat free!!!

vivfox
09-21-2018, 03:36 PM
But it definitely would have to be all new material. It wouldn’t be going out and doing Heartbreakers songs without Tom. That would just be like…ugh.”

Isn't that what Mick Fleetwood hinted FM will do in concert? Just sayin'

Buster
09-21-2018, 03:48 PM
Chris Stapleton would be a great person to sing material with the HB or to guest on tribute album (although I am not a fan of tributes).

As would Stevie. Projects like that, the 2006 TP tour, the Foo Fighters stuff, bring the best out in her.

She should’ve gone that route already instead of the new FM farce.

jbrownsjr
09-21-2018, 04:16 PM
Chris Stapleton would be a great person to sing material with the HB or to guest on tribute album (although I am not a fan of tributes).

As would Stevie. Projects like that, the 2006 TP tour, the Foo Fighters stuff, bring the best out in her.

She should’ve gone that route already instead of the new FM farce.

Buster, we have never agreed so much. I agree on both ends.

jwd
09-21-2018, 05:21 PM
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-petty-724996/

I've always had so much respect and admiration for TP & The Heartbreakers. They ARE America's band! I don't care what anyone says about the Eagles. I am hoping that Mike continues on with his "previous band mates" and continue to make the outstanding music they are noted for. There's a lot of talent in that BAND. Everything he is saying in the article is very plausible and I very much encourage him to pursue those dreams. Mike, don't waste your time with FM.

Buster
09-22-2018, 12:10 PM
Buster, we have never agreed so much. I agree on both ends.

:wavey: if she had gone that route, she also wouldn’t have alienated/angered so many of her fans.

elle
09-22-2018, 01:06 PM
:wavey: if she had gone that route, she also wouldn’t have alienated/angered so many of her fans.

glad you said "also" - because yes, right now, the most alienated people are many many Stevie fans (the rational ones, not the cult followers).

it's not LB fans who are alienated - we just call the spade a spade about what happened and are not burying our heads in the sand, but most of us are delighted that he can finally stop wasting his precious time waiting around. and that we don't have to cough up bug bucks to Mick just to be able to see LB live in the years when he was stuck with FM. but Buck-Nicks, FM and many Stevie fans are really alienated and disappointed, as is so visible in all posts here and all over social media - and i really feel bad for them. :nod:

jbrownsjr
09-22-2018, 02:16 PM
glad you said "also" - because yes, right now, the most alienated people are many many Stevie fans (the rational ones, not the cult followers).

it's not LB fans who are alienated - we just call the spade a spade about what happened and are not burying our heads in the sand, but most of us are delighted that he can finally stop wasting his precious time waiting around. and that we don't have to cough up bug bucks to Mick just to be able to see LB live in the years when he was stuck with FM. but Buck-Nicks, FM and many Stevie fans are really alienated and disappointed, as is so visible in all posts here and all over social media - and i really feel bad for them. :nod:

There are some really nasty nasty people defending her. OMG. It makes this place look like pre-school.

elle
09-22-2018, 02:35 PM
There are some really nasty nasty people defending her. OMG. It makes this place look like pre-school.

that NOT the people i'm talking about.

i'm talking about people who are reasonable and feel hurt and alimented by the band they used to love.

FuzzyPlum
09-22-2018, 02:38 PM

Hmmm, I think if she'd chosen to go off and work with The Heartbreakers straight away she'd have alienated and angered just as many people, if not more, surely.
The best thing she could have done is go into the studio with Fleetwood Mac, do a tour (with all 5 members) and then go off and do something as a guest vocalist with The Heartbreakers in a few years time.

elle
09-22-2018, 02:45 PM
Hmmm, I think if she'd chosen to go off and work with The Heartbreakers straight away she'd have alienated and angered just as many people, if not more, surely.
The best thing she could have done is go into the studio with Fleetwood Mac, do a tour (with all 5 members) and then go off and do something as a guest vocalist with The Heartbreakers in a few years time.

but those would be TPATH people, not FM people. :woohoo::angel:

FuzzyPlum
09-22-2018, 02:46 PM
but those would be TPATH people, not FM people. :woohoo::angel:

HO HO HO:thumbsup:

jbrownsjr
09-22-2018, 03:31 PM
that NOT the people i'm talking about.

i'm talking about people who are reasonable and feel hurt and alimented by the band they used to love.

I see. Yes, I have seen a lot of that as well.

Neal
09-22-2018, 04:00 PM

:wavey: :distress:

lovethemac1
09-22-2018, 04:05 PM
guest singers?

Aunt Ruth maybe????!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
:shrug:

Buster
09-22-2018, 04:34 PM

You’re probably right. I’m in the very small minority, but I don’t care that Stevie didn’t want to record a FM album. The magic of the Rumours era band ended a long time ago and it just would have been a few Stevie songs slapped on with no real cohesion or heart.

There’s so much complaining about Stevie and the lack of a FM album, but look what happened instead - a great BuckMcVie album and tour. So much better than a forced FM one.

Stevie should have kept on with what clearly energizes her - solo tours and things like the HB possibility. Instead she chose helping to ruin (I don’t hold her fully responsible) the opportunity for an honorable goodbye tour for one of the greatest bands to walk the earth. And, contrary to her BS about wanting to dance happy in her house, she seems pretty unhappy with her “new” band. It came across very clearly in her weak performance on Ellen despite her forced smile and elaborate hand gestures.

What disappoints me most as a Stevie fan is watching her go from her best tour in years, finally freeing herself from pathetic setlists of Bob Seger covers for whatever reason and singing what she wants and then making a mess of FM.

gldstwmn
09-22-2018, 04:41 PM

It's kind of hard to take your post seriously when you lead with an insult. Why are we even talking about fans? I think a huge part of the problem is that this has strayed way too far from the music itself which is always going to be good. I mean this is a Fleetwood Mac message board still right?

nicepace
09-22-2018, 05:32 PM
You’re probably right. I’m in the very small minority, but I don’t care that Stevie didn’t want to record a FM album. The magic of the Rumours era band ended a long time ago and it just would have been a few Stevie songs slapped on with no real cohesion or heart.

There’s so much complaining about Stevie and the lack of a FM album, but look what happened instead - a great BuckMcVie album and tour. So much better than a forced FM one.

I agree with all of this. Unlike many fans, I have been indifferent to Stevie's material for a long time, and I didn't miss her on the BuckVie album. If she had contributed to that album we would have gotten less Christine. But, however, what bothers me is that her absence from that record resulted in the decision not to call it Fleetwood Mac.

gldstwmn
09-22-2018, 07:10 PM
HO HO HO:thumbsup:

Green Giant?

FuzzyPlum
09-23-2018, 03:09 AM
Green Giant?

No, Santa Claus

starshine
09-26-2018, 08:49 PM
The plans sound interesting. Can't wait to see how this pans out. Personally I LOVE Paul Rodgers that man has a great voice , one of a kind. I'm sure Mike didn't mean his comment in a bad way. Love Paul in any of his bands but probably not so much with Queen. Bad Co , Free, The Firm or his solo stuff. :D

iamnotafraid
09-27-2018, 12:55 AM
"there are no girls in the heartbreakers"

Tom couldn't say that now. He'd get in trouble.

But now that Tom's moved on you can't keep
her out of the Heartbreakers.

She'll be there mark my words.