PDA

View Full Version : Gypsy appreciation...

Andy Man
09-26-2011, 09:27 PM
So this is random, I know, but tonight while doing some work I was listening to the extended version of Gypsy (found on the Chain boxset) and was reminded of absolutely gorgeous this song is. It truly is one of the macs best produced tracks and, to me, consists of everything that defines Fleetwood Mac. Stevie's hypnotic lead vocal, Lindsey's frantic guitar playing and vocal harmonizing with Stevie, Christine's beautiful vocals and piano playing (ultimate McVie piano line - working with the rhythm section), and John/Mick's killer rhythmic patterning...I love the song as a song, but the production of it is just brilliant...definitely the highlight of the Mac's 80s output, and one of the best moments of their entire career...

Artemis
09-26-2011, 09:55 PM
I think Gypsy may be their prettiest song ever recorded, but, for me, best song by Fleetwood Mac in the 80s deffo goes to Little Lies. Tell me lies...

Villavic
09-26-2011, 10:03 PM
...the extended version of Gypsy (found on the Chain boxset) and was reminded of absolutely gorgeous this song is. ...I love the song as a song, but the production of it is just brilliant...definitely the highlight of the Mac's 80s output, and one of the best moments of their entire career...

I must agree. Gypsy was the catalyst that made me a Fleetwood Mac fan since 1982. Let's see how Mick describes it in his book in the episode about Mirage:

Stevie's songs including the utterly majestic "Gypsy" were what she had saved for us after recording her first album, Bella Donna, which was about to sell ten million copies and make Miss Nicks the Queen of Rock. Some leftover! "Gypsy" is one of Fleetwood Mac's greatest works of art; for me it really crystallises that whole period of the early 1980s, when we were in our mid-thirties and beginning to look back on our lost youth.
Mirage was released in mid-1982, an artistic and financial success. Both "Hold Me" and "Gypsy" were hit singles in the United States, and "Oh Diane" was a British chart hit as well. I think we sold about five million albums. It didn't hurt that Rolling Stone had crowned Stevie "The Reigning Queen of Rock and Roll," and that a new cable television channel called MTV was broadcasting our new videos ("Hold Me" set in desert dunes, "Gypsy" in a Stevie fantasy world) to the American suburbs twenty-four hours a day. Mirage went to number one, and it felt great to be back on top for a while.

MacShadowsBall
09-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Gypsy is my #1 Fleetwood Mac song. :nod: It was one my gateway songs that lead me into Fleetwood Mac fandom.

PolishStevieFan
09-29-2011, 10:08 AM
"Gypsy" is such a great track. One of the best of FM's career. I still wonder how could it be, that it didn't go to #1 in US. Too much of beauty for people's taste? Anyway, for me it's one of the key Fleetwood Mac songs that I play for other people to get them idea of what kind of music they perform.

jbrownsjr
09-29-2011, 10:13 AM
I love the backing vocals and piano too. I think this song gets ruined live. It's loses the pristine intrumentation in concert.

vivfox
09-29-2011, 10:59 AM
I think this song gets ruined live. It's loses the pristine intrumentation in concert.

I tend to disagree. I think the band plays it beautifully live but the vocalist just can't cut it.

HomerMcvie
09-29-2011, 12:43 PM
I love the backing vocals and piano too. I think this song gets ruined live. It's loses the pristine intrumentation in concert.

And I think the same was true for Hold Me.

jbrownsjr
09-29-2011, 01:05 PM
I tend to disagree. I think the band plays it beautifully live but the vocalist just can't cut it.

I sort of agree with this, but to me, the studio version is really a great demonstration of beautiful high frequencies that get lost in a live setting such as Mirage and even the lighter Dance version.

jbrownsjr
09-29-2011, 01:06 PM
And I think the same was true for Hold Me.

Yeah I love the Mirage arrangements. Great backing vocals, a 50's vibe, lots of Wilson sounds, and great keys, guitars, bass and percussion.

skcin
09-29-2011, 02:12 PM

Agreed. It was never quite right to my ears no matter what tour, but I could never put my finger on why. But the album version is a masterpiece.

wildheart048
09-30-2011, 02:09 AM
Totally agree. Gypsy is a masterpiece, and one of the best examples of the group coming together as a whole - each piece is in top form (meaning songwriting, production, playing, singing, etc...) AND it's my alltime favorite video to (platformed:p) boot. The unedited mix on 'The Chain' is my very favorite version...love that "I can't find you..." :angel:

PolishStevieFan
10-01-2011, 04:30 AM
I must add, that my girlfriend (who's not a big Fleetwood Mac fan) thinks, that "Gypsy" is perfect Pop hit. This song just takes you away, in an almost subliminal way.

michelej1
04-10-2014, 01:08 PM
[Rabbi links Gypsy and the Exodus for the Seder]

Wednesday, April 9, 2014, Three Jews, Four Opinions

http://www.threejews.net/2014/04/fleetwood-mac-and-seder.html

Fleetwood Mac and the Seder

The rock/folk band Fleetwood Mac has an interesting elaboration on the exodus from Egypt. Rabbi Adlerstein at Cross-Currents has posted his annual shiur (or talk) about Passover. These are always interesting. He comes up with Passover insights from a variety of sources that are not just smart and clever and insightful, but also that are not well known.

In one drash, he discussed the idea of the exodus from Egypt being solely the result of divine love. (I won't elaborate; listen to the lecture). This reminded my of Fleetwood Mac's absolutely beautiful and haunting song "Gypsy" which is partially about the death of Stevie Nick's close friend. One verse is

And the gypsy that remains
Faces freedom, with a little fear
I have no fear; I have only love.

Several years ago, I heard that song on the radio just before Passover, and ever since, I have thought of those lines in the context of the Exodus. (You have to get a little postmodern here; Stevie Nicks certainly was not thinking of the Exodus.)

Fear and love are not typically contrasted with each other. Fear and courage, perhaps. Or love and hate, or love and indifference. But fear and love do contrast with each other nicely.

People faced with an expansion of freedom often react with "a little fear." Perhaps not a lot; freedom is a good thing and cause for celebration. But the freedom also raises the troubling question of what to do with one's life. That requires choices, priorities, and wisdom. Before that, the slavery and narrow places had at least provided structure, albeit at a great personal cost.

The children of Israel seem to react to their freedom with fear. At the Sea of Reeds, they ask, "Was it because there were no graves in Egypt that you brought us to the desert to die? What have you done to us by bringing us out of Egypt?" (Exod. 14:11.) They complaint about the food and water, and then build the golden calf. They incessantly whine and complain. And that attitude might have been caused, at least in part, by the fear resulting from not really knowing how to lead a free life.

Both God's response and the freed slaves' response could be the last line of that verse. "I have no fear; I have only love." God freeing the slaves was a manifestation of his love, as was the later giving of the 10 Commandments and other rules. And one principle the freed slaves could use to structure their lives was to emulate this love: try to take the morally correct action and help others, and in doing so, lead a meaningful and thoughtful life. I imagine both God and the slaves singing the last line in harmony.

BlueDenimLamp
04-10-2014, 01:45 PM
"Gypsy" which is partially about the death of Stevie Nick's close friend. One verse is.

"And the gypsy that remains
Faces freedom, with a little fear
I have no fear; I have only love".

I thought she wrote the song during the Tusk days...Was a verse about Robin added latter? I was just looking on the Internet and it says the Gypsy video was filmed while Stevie was in rehab (never heard that before, or maybe I did and forgot)...

jcalzaretta
04-10-2014, 02:05 PM
The song is gorgeous. Love the Box Set version. I agree it is not that great live. But I love the live version from the Mirage tour. That was incredible.

FM77
04-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Perfect vocal. Perfect production. I heard this today on Sirius and just marveled again at how great it sounds still.

Macfanforever
04-10-2014, 05:58 PM
I love Gypsy .I killed the 45 rpm record by over playing it.

loverly13
04-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Gypsy is really the first Mac song that I got seriously, seriously hooked on. I remember playing it on repeat and calling my mom, exasperated, because I couldn't stop listening and it made me inexplicably and overwhelmingly emotional.

This version, though, just punches me in the gut. I wish they'd do it like this again.
http://youtu.be/m5HeRgOVOMw

StreetAngel86
04-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Gypsy is my #1 Fleetwood Mac song. :nod: It was one my gateway songs that lead me into Fleetwood Mac fandom.

same! but I have to tie it was Rhiannnon.
depends on my mood :D

Ted57
04-10-2014, 10:39 PM
My all time favorite song period. It replaced Sara which replaced Dreams. But like many of you mentioned, the live version is lacking. Not since the Mirage tour have I been able to enjoy a live version of this song. ahh....but the studio version...masterpiece.

DMBfan
04-13-2014, 08:42 AM
Agreed that the studio/Mirage version is like a masterpiece.

There is also a Gypsy bootleg out there from a heart disease benefit that Stevie did maybe 10 years ago (?). Lindsey showed up and they played a version a pared down version of Gypsy. No band - just Lindsey on guitar. It was similar to Landslide ....and one of the best live versions of that song I've ever heard. Always hoped they would add that version to their current tours to replace an overplayed Landslide

welcomechris
04-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Gypsy is really the first Mac song that I got seriously, seriously hooked on. I remember playing it on repeat and calling my mom, exasperated, because I couldn't stop listening and it made me inexplicably and overwhelmingly emotional.

This version, though, just punches me in the gut. I wish they'd do it like this again.
http://youtu.be/m5HeRgOVOMw

Here is a better version of the same performance of Gypsy

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/9gd39l22av29ei9/13_Gypsy_(Acoustic_With_Lindsey_Buckingham).mp3

I Hope You Like It, It Already Has 9 Downloads. I Mixed and Trimmed it

loverly13
04-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Here is a better version of the same performance of Gypsy

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/9gd39l22av29ei9/13_Gypsy_(Acoustic_With_Lindsey_Buckingham).mp3

I Hope You Like It, It Already Has 9 Downloads. I Mixed and Trimmed it

Ahhh THANK YOU! This is so much better!

michelej1
04-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Agreed that the studio/Mirage version is like a masterpiece.

There is also a Gypsy bootleg out there from a heart disease benefit that Stevie did maybe 10 years ago (?). Lindsey showed up and they played a version a pared down version of Gypsy. No band - just Lindsey on guitar.

Two guitarists. Waddy as well, I think. Well, I know Waddy walked Lindsey offstage later. I'm not sure if he played with Lindsey or if it was Carlos.

Michele

michelej1
04-13-2014, 02:12 PM
I thought she wrote the song during the Tusk days...Was a verse about Robin added latter? I was just looking on the Internet and it says the Gypsy video was filmed while Stevie was in rehab (never heard that before, or maybe I did and forgot)...

Yes, the Robin verse was tacked on according to her, now:

This is what she told Entertainment Weekly:

http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/03/31/stevie-nicks-in/

“Gypsy”
“Oh boy, I’ve never really spoken about this, so I get verklempt, and then I’ve got the story and I start to screw it up. Okay: In the old days, before Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey [Buckingham] and I had no money, so we had a king-size mattress, but we just had it on the floor. I had old vintage coverlets on it, and even though we had no money it was still really pretty… Just that and a lamp on the floor, and that was it—there was a certain calmness about it. To this day, when I’m feeling cluttered, I will take my mattress off of my beautiful bed, wherever that may be, and put it outside my bedroom, with a table and a little lamp.

That’s the words: “So I’m back to the velvet underground”—which is a clothing store in downtown San Francisco, where Janis Joplin got her clothes, and Grace Slick from Jefferson Airplane, it was this little hole in the wall, amazing, beautiful stuff—”back to the floor that I love, to a room with some lace and paper flowers, back to the gypsy that I was.”

sue
04-13-2014, 06:13 PM
Stevie writes such achingly poignant songs and this is one of my absolute favourites. I can almost feel what she's talking about and the era it belongs to.

goldenground
04-13-2014, 07:00 PM
"Gypsy....one of the many songs written by Stevie Nicks that can provoke so many different emotions from each listener. This song was originally written for her solo LP Bella Donna, but was later used for the Fleetwood Mac album released in 1982 named Mirage. "I think 'Gypsy' was one of my best collaborations ever with Stevie.....in terms of what I do for Stevie as far as arrangement and things go. I think that was one of the most effective pieces we've ever done" states Lindsey Buckingham (Guitar World 9/97). Whether it is the mysterious words or the sensual melody, this song captures the hearts of many, and can easily be seen as one of her best songs. Stevie has stated many times that her songs are her innermost feelings and represent things that are happening in her life. When one really listens to the words in Gypsy, we are learning a little more about this special woman and her true spirit.

So I'm back, to the velvet underground
Back to the floor, that I love
To a room with some lace and paper flowers
Back to the gypsy that I was
To the Gypsy...that I was

This song is almost like we are in the middle of her daydream. This first line brings us to a place that Stevie once said she used to shop at in her younger days called The Velvet Underground in San Francisco. She is imagining herself here many years ago, back to a time where she was simply known as Stephanie. Back to the floor that I love....Stevie stated in The Record 1982, that "I always put my bed on the floor." She is known to pack up everything she owns, all of her favorite things, like her books, music, painting and her beloved candles and turn any room into ...hers...a place where she finds comfort and has a sense of familiarity. She could be picturing herself back to when she first had that "gypsy" feeling in her younger days, way before her stardom, way back to when things were much simpler as she says "back to the gypsy, that I was.."

And it all comes down to you
Well, you know that is does
Well, lightening strikes, maybe once, maybe twice
Ah, and it lights up the night
And you see your gypsy
You see your gypsy

It is up to all of us to determine our own paths in our lives and that is what Stevie tries to tell us here. We are the master of our own choices in life, whether they are the right choices are not. Lightening strikes, maybe once, maybe twice...is a little more difficult to interpret. Some think the lightening could represent events in one's life; This could be either tragedy or success. Stevie had to deal with a major tragic event in her life with the death of her best friend Robin, who died from Leukemia. She also had to deal with the rapid success of Fleetwood Mac. These events affect one's life and brings about changes whether you wish it or not. Stevie lost a great support system in Robin and she lost a lot of her freedom with her success, and going back to those "gypsy" days, could be a place of comfort for her.

To the gypsy that remains, faces freedom, with a little fear
I have no fear, I have only love
And if I was a child
And the child was enough
Enough for me to love
Enough to love......

The gypsy that remains could signify the person Stevie is now or used to be. Back in her "gypsy" early days, Stevie told us that she was very dependent on Lindsey, and would let him take over. As she started to grow into her own person, her fears of being alone and facing life no longer held her back. She is a stronger woman now and she is telling herself that she is ok, even now when her life has changed so much. And if I was a child.....could represent Stevie as a child or she could be talking about herself now, almost like the child within the woman, the time when she was carefree and full of childlike innocence. If she could take herself back to those childlike times, could she love herself more.

She is dancing away from me now
She was just a wish
She was just a wish
And a memory is all that is left for you now
You see your gypsy
You see your gypsy

Stevie is reflecting on her youth, back to the "gypsy" days throughout this song. She is dancing away from me now....she knows that she cannot turn back the clock and be the girl she once was, though she can wish it. She is getting older now and her pre-stardom freedom she had is just a memory, and in that memory.....you see your gypsy.

In ways, some feel this verse has a dual meaning. In one way , it is about Stevie talking about herself, but then it leads one to speculate if she added a little about her friend Robin. She died with in a year of being diagnosed, and she is dancing away from me now...could be Stevie's way of saying that she is leaving her now and her memory is all that she has left of her.

Lightening strikes, maybe once, maybe twice
And it all comes down to you

I still see your bright eyes, bright eyes And it all comes down to you I still see your bright eyes, bright eyes (She was just a wish) (She was just a wish) And it all comes down to you.

Many of us have heard throughout the years that the verse "I still see your bright eyes, bright eyes", was added to this song in memory of Robin. Stevie could be saying that even though she is gone, she still sees her bright eyes shining on her no matter what she is doing in her life.

On the Fleetwood Mac Chain box set, there is an unedited version of the song "Gypsy". This version is basically the same version we have all heard but the ending is very ethereal. Stevie sings the verse "But I still see your bright eyes"...but adds the eerie phrase softly in the background....."I can't find you.." Very sad but beautiful.....we feel what she is trying to express through her music and that is what makes it more special. It is so very real and honest. In our hearts she will always be known to us as "the gypsy"...and today she is still very much that "gypsy" she always was in her heart. Stevie says, " In basic ways, I haven't changed..the clothes I wear, that doesn't change. I love long dresses. I love velvet. I love high boots. I love the same eye make-up. I never change. I still have everything I had then. That's one part of me..that's where my songs come from." She quotes from Gypsy, ' To a room with some lace and paper flowers/Back to the gypsy that I was.' And that's San Francisco. That's the velvet underground. Those are the things that I can't give up" (The Record, 2/92). We love you for that Stevie."

source: The Penguin

lovethemac1
04-15-2014, 09:00 AM
I distinctly remember in the June, 2009 Fleetwood Mac concert that my husband and I attended in Winnipeg, Stevie talked about Gypsy. She said it was written about Lindsey, whom she called "her Gypsy." The way she explained it and spoke about him was very romantic. The entire place went crazy when she called him that!!!

luminol
04-16-2014, 02:59 PM
It is such a special song... it evokes such beautiful, sad nostalgia in ways that I cannot adequately describe. The visuals she paints with her words and the haunting, floating melody is so powerful and beautiful.

I think perhaps the most perfect part of the song that sends me over the edge each time is when Lindsey starts singing 'lightning strikes maybe once, maybe twice' intertwined with Stevie's vocals... the entire song is enchanting, and then when those vocals come together? Beautiful.

Autumn Ocean
05-17-2014, 06:23 PM
I was in a music store yesterday and they had Gypsy blasting through awesome speakers. I stopped in my tracks and just bathed in it.

I love this song and play it often but hearing it fresh made me love it even more.

How great is Mick's drumming on this track?

How perfect and sensitive are Lindsey's guitars?

How strange is it that a song without a chorus was a hit single?

jbrownsjr
05-17-2014, 06:48 PM
I was in a music store yesterday and they had Gypsy blasting through awesome speakers. I stopped in my tracks and just bathed in it.

I love this song and play it often but hearing it fresh made me love it even more.

The backing vocals over it make it sublime.

secondhandchain
05-17-2014, 09:09 PM
I would love to hear the stems for this track.

bombaysaffires
05-17-2014, 11:04 PM

I love that Lindsey left it alone and didn't try to force some attempt at a chorus on it like he did with the production of Smile At You on SYW (I should have turned around and ran as fast as I can... shudder). Stevie's songs don't always follow a traditional verse/chorus format and they can still be wonderful..

MikeVielhaber
05-17-2014, 11:43 PM

The line "And You see your Gypsy" could be considered a chorus. It's a line that's used multiple times and includes the song title.

While a hit single without a chorus is not common it's also not necessarily rare. There are plenty of examples.

missundercover
05-18-2014, 05:30 AM
I must agree: Gypsy is a perfect song. As song but also the production.

Dex
05-18-2014, 05:36 AM
I never thought about the fact that Gypsy doesn't have a chorus. I suppose Lindsey's hooky little guitar picking is the most melodically iconic part of the song and really functions as the chorus, although it isn't sung. It wraps the whole thing up and allows it to work as a pop song, while still being true to Stevie's quirky vision. Brilliantly done all around.

secondhandchain
05-18-2014, 08:54 PM
I love that Lindsey left it alone and didn't try to force some attempt at a chorus on it like he did with the production of Smile At You on SYW (I should have turned around and ran as fast as I can... shudder). Stevie's songs don't always follow a traditional verse/chorus format and they can still be wonderful..

There is a chorus if you ask me. "you see your gypsy" could be considered a chorus.

jbrownsjr
05-18-2014, 09:15 PM
There is a chorus if you ask me. "you see your gypsy" could be considered a chorus.

Yes I agree. A verse B chorus A verse B chorus C intrumental outro

Autumn Ocean
05-19-2014, 03:43 AM
The line "And You see your Gypsy" could be considered a chorus. It's a line that's used multiple times and includes the song title.

While a hit single without a chorus is not common it's also not necessarily rare. There are plenty of examples.
"You see your Gypsy" would be a refrain. After reading your post, I did some reading. A chorus has a "change up", while those lines are delivered over the same musical passage as the rest of the verse.

secondhandchain
05-19-2014, 11:11 AM
I don't agree. It the melody changes, then it's the chorus. I guess Dreams doesn't have a chorus then? F and G the whole song.

Losing my religion is a good example of a no chorus song.

MikeVielhaber
05-19-2014, 11:32 AM

The "That's me in the corner..." section sounds like a chorus to me.

jbrownsjr
05-19-2014, 12:31 PM
The "That's me in the corner..." section sounds like a chorus to me.

uhhh I have that horrible song in my head now... :distress:

Autumn Ocean
05-20-2014, 04:38 AM
I don't agree. It the melody changes, then it's the chorus. I guess Dreams doesn't have a chorus then? F and G the whole song.

Dreams has a chorus. The harmonies from Lindsey and Christine, the strummed acoustic guitar and the percussion that don't appear elsewhere in the song make it so. The chords mightn't change but it is a distinct chorus.

Gypsy doesn't.

secret love
05-20-2014, 06:48 AM
Dreams has a chorus. The harmonies from Lindsey and Christine, the strummed acoustic guitar and the percussion that don't appear elsewhere in the song make it so. The chords mightn't change but it is a distinct chorus.

Gypsy doesn't.

Gypsy is in fact the song which first drew me to Fleetwood Mac to the point of obsession. It was the 2003 Live in Boston version without Christine. When I first got into pre-1998 performances on YouTube videos, well, I'm ashamed to say I say Chris in a 1987 video and thought that she was a drag queen. :p

:sorry:

Gypsy holds a special significance to this day for me, with the lyrical content in particular having meaning for this time in my life where I am always on the go, always travelling. I have moved house 3+ times since 2011.

I commute to university 4 hours (Return) every day. 1/6 of every day is travelling and I truly do feel like a "travelling gypsy" with no true home (except one very special place).

The guitars - bass and Lindsey's lead are just magic. "Lightning strikes, maybe once, maybe twice" vocals sung by Lindsey is just beautiful and tragic all at once. It feels like Stevie was hoping for a second Dreams, a second mega-seller Rumours record when this song was recorded in 1982. Though it was a success as a single, it definitely did not match Dreams or Landslide. Still, I wish more people would cover it and that it continues to stay special long into the future after the eventual demise of the surviving members of the Mac!

FuzzyPlum
04-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Charlotte Moss on Fleetwood Mac's 'Gypsy'.
Song stirs designers soul and gives her more confidence to take chances.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/charlotte-moss-on-fleetwood-macs-gypsy-1430234759

'Even though “Gypsy” came out in the summer of ’82 on Fleetwood Mac’s “Mirage” album, the song and its sound had a late ’70s vibe. It reminded me of my struggle back then, when everything seemed uncertain and I only had myself to depend on'.

UndoingTheLaces
04-29-2015, 01:20 AM
I just discovered a version of Gypsy I didn't know existed. It's on stevienicksivorykeys.blogspot.com. Here's the link:

Gypsy - Extended Album Version 2
Mirage Final Mixes 05/18/1982
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbppno89qpevp34/Gypsy%20-%20Extended%202.mp3?dl=0

I've always loved the video version so much more than the album version because of the extra vocal ad libs at the end and that gorgeous extended guitar solo. I was so thrilled when The Chain came out and there was an even longer version, but disappointed at the stuff that was missing. Especially at the end, during the guitar solo, in the video mix if you listen really careful you'll here Stevie singing "oooh, see your bright eyes" and it's not in the Chain mix. So the mix above has all the stuff from the video mix and the chain mix all in one, but the beginning sounds like it was taken from a cassette that's been chewed up. Does anyone know if a really good copy of this version exists anywhere? It's my favorite out of all the mixes.

A few words on Gypsy. I always wondered if the unusual drum beat coming off of the bridge was intentional or an accident. It sounds like Mick is going into a fill but then stops himself. But it adds to the charm of the song and if it was a mistake and he went back to fix it there would definitely be something missing. Also, there's a great repeating xylophone melody during the vocal ad libs at the end and if you listen carefully during the very last one (where Stevie sings, "your bright eyes, I can't find you) you'll hear the xylophone go all wonky. You barely notice it but it's there. And did you ever notice that the lyric sheet that came with Mirage had "(she was just a wish, she was just a wish)" at the vocal ad libs at the end, but because the album had an edited version of the song that part is not there at all. I always wondered why there were lyrics on the jacket but not on the record. Of course, the line "and we both pretend (that there was an end, but there was no ending) no great pretender" isn't in the song Angel either. An another thing that I love so much is that if you listen to the extended guitar solo there's a part where John does this wonderful descending series of notes that Mick accentuates with a cymbal crash. It's so incredible. It's a little more pronounced in the video mix than the Chain mix but it's still there. Anyway, these are just things I love about this song.

Chris_Sydney
04-29-2015, 04:47 AM
It is such a spectacular recording. It distils everything that each member brings to the band with such precision, like bottled lightning. I don't think any song in their catalogue is as strong a showcase of their individual talents.

x

Stormwind
04-30-2015, 10:09 AM
Gypsy is, in my opinion, the highlight of the Mirage album, probably the best track of it. In the lyrical aspect I never tried to examine Stevie's songs that much, because there's, more than the other songwriters of FM, a certain aspect that you can't understand; something that is on a different level, something that hits you in a inconsciuos way. That's one the mainpoint of the track, its elusive yet evocative words.

In the musical aspects, this song is a work of art: the beatiful synth/guitar riff, the ending solo (one of Lindsey's best), the magnetic rhytmic parts, the backing vocals...

SisterNightroad
11-07-2017, 06:38 AM
Focus on yourself, be ready for change

Recently I heard the song “Gypsy” by Stevie Nicks while I was working the copy desk for The Daily Eastern News. I find it really interesting how songs can trigger memories and feelings to individual people. One song could have hundreds of different meanings to different people across the world.
The song “Gypsy,” to me, is one of those “life” songs. A “life song” is a type of song that makes you reflect on your past and brings you to consider what your current situation in life is.
For me, these types of songs help me reflect on things I have done in the past that have gotten me to where I am today. My experiences in the Army before college, for example, have shaped me to take pride in myself and push others to do their best.
Some songs also have me reflect on instances in life that I wish I could have changed as well. Fast forward to the present, I feel ROTC has furthered my self in being a better person and to take initiative to lead others. With that, life is continuing to shape me as a person. In this moment now, though, I am happy.
However, as the semester comes further to a head and I begin the process of commissioning into the Army, the true priorities in my life are starting to take shape. My current major is journalism but at this point, ROTC tends to take up about 90 percent of my life.
Now, this is not necessarily a bad thing. The things you want most in life are not easy to achieve, so putting in work is a necessity. But I have started to realize my heart is in the Army, not journalism. I feel I do best in the Army and I can put my love of writing and news telling to the Army rather than civilian journalism.
So if you are just finishing up your first semester of college or it is the beginning of the end of senior year, remember this: life is not black and white. You will meet indecision and change head-on in life and that is OK. Most people don’t know what they want to do for the rest of their lives, especially from 18 to 22 years old.
I believe society puts too much pressure on people to find their niche in life. I say explore new avenues, try new things. If you suddenly realize you don’t want to major in geography but instead you want to try theatre, then that is perfectly normal. Yes, it may take more time, more work, more late-night studying but in the end it is worth it. A job is a job but a career is something more, something you love doing.
Take time for yourself in figuring out who you want to be and what you want to do in life.
I have grown a lot and learned about myself because I decided to try new things, even when things were scary at times. It is all about realizing that life holds many doors; you just have to open them.

https://www.dailyeasternnews.com/2017/11/06/focus-on-yourself-be-ready-for-change/

Wdm6789
11-07-2017, 07:41 AM
Gypsy is definitely one of Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks best songs, as well as one of the most beautiful songs ever. Props to Stevie, Lindsey, Christine, John, Mick, Richard, and Ken for crafting this masterpiece.

Macfan4life
11-07-2017, 06:02 PM
This is an old thread that preceded my membership. I do think Gypsy is one of the purest classic Mac songs of all time. Some of Stevie's best writing with just an amazing track with intense over dubs. It also has the best bridge of any Mac song. It really demonstrates Stevie's range and passion. Its just pure magic.

WatchChain
11-08-2017, 09:00 PM
The entire "Mirage" album is just gorgeous and sublime. It's the most overlooked and underrated album in the entire Fleetwood Mac catalog. It never gets the credit that it deserves. It's my music box.