PDA

View Full Version : Boston Review (me) + Videos (not taken by me)

AliceLover
03-31-2011, 05:15 PM
Yesterday, was quite the hectic day.

I taught English all day in Winchester, NH. I left the school at about 3:30 and got home around 6ish. Hopped on the train and made it to the Boston at 7pm. Had a couple drinks and made it into the arena just as Stevie was coming on stage.

My mom and I were walking on the right side of the stage down to our 4th row center seats. I could see her walking out with her SB shawl on and I was like WTF? Stand Back started as we were still looking for our seats. A little bit of a toss up right away, I thought something new was coming.

Let me say this: Stevie put on an absolutely amazing show. I was amazingly impressed at how well she handled her set. She barely took any breaks and her voice was as powerful as ever. I think the couple days off did her some good.

Stand Back - This was fun because I was walking through the front row as she came out. I was jumping up and down...one of the few scenes I caused (whoops). She was really into this one. She wore her white EO17 shawl for this one, no black shawl underneath and was in the boks. Everyone in my section was up and dancing for her whole set (which I was nervous about, after hearing experiences from the other shows). You could tell there were a LOT of Stevie fans in the audience. She sang the high note on "taaaaaake" me homeee and then did a big high kick.

Secret Love - Stand Back wasn't over for a SECOND before she said "this is my new single" and went right into Secret Love. I was so conflicted, trying to watch the video and watching Stevie. She did some epic hand motions to the song and was really into it. I was dancing a LOT and was getting lots of smiles from the band, considering I knew all the words. Lots of cheering after this one.

She welcomes us by saying how much she loves Boston and how FM has made it their home for years and years. "Lets get this partay started!"

If Anyone Falls - Now, this is one of my all time FAVORITE live songs to see. I love it so much. Well, I caused a bit of a scene during this one. Of course, fans were getting to their seats late. We happen to be in their seats. It was totally our fault, we were a couple seats down in the row (aisle seats, score). Due to this comotion, I missed nearly all of this song, which really upset me.

Dreams - I was texting friends pictures of Stevie. She did the hula dance which was nice.

Sorcerer - Introed this by talking about Lindsey quickly. I rarely listen to this song, but I must say it is cool live. She did the "Yeah....yeah....YEAHHHHHH!" at the end which was cool.

Gold Dust Woman - This one is always so powerful live. I can tell that her band has perfected this one by now. It is absolutely epic, live. At the end, they were really getting into it.

Fall From Grace - This one was a rocker. I was singing and dancing along. Al Ortiz was smiling at me during this one. Oh did, I mention Waddy was wearing a Bruins t-shirt? At the end, she was bending down really getting into it. The crowd cheered when she hit those high notes "Well maybe I made the whole thing up..." This song is great live and I have to say it was cool to hear it in the middle of the set. I prefer Stand Back in its place because of the energy, but this one worked too. She got a HUGE applause from this one.

Rhiannon - Same old hullabaloo. The ending was great. She sang a higher "would you even try" before the second chorus. She had some trouble getting her bat wings undone...whoops.

Landslide - Very emotional. My mother lost her father (my grandfather) in December, so this one was pretty emotional for us. Stevie talked about how she took out the video clips 2 years ago and decided to put them back in for this tour.

Edge of Seventeen - She took maybe a 30 second break and was back out on the stage. I tried going to the barrier when the security man said "go back to your seat, I'm not asking you, I'm telling you." I said, "thats what I tell my 7th and 8th graders, did the Garden management feed you those lines?" He didn't like that, I went back to my seat haha. Epic ending, huge crowd response. The wail was infectious..

Love Is - Talked about 9/11, TISL, blah blah. Very, very, VERY impressive vocal.

Rod Stewart - He has good songs, but frankly I don't give a flying f*ck. It really did seem like "The Rod Stewart Show" featuring a brief performance by Stevie Nicks. Her set was SO rushed and his seemed to go on forever. These crowds are definitely Rod crowds. He's a good performer, I just was not into him.

I sort of heckled his performance (too many beers) during "First Cut" by yelling Cat Stevens and where's Sheryl Crow. I love the song "Hot Legs" :lol:

I have to say, this was an OLD crowd. The average age was definitely 50. Usually I see all different ages of people at Fleetwood Mac concerts, but I am pretty sure I was the youngest one there.

Stevie was absolutely phemonenal. This next year is going to be out-of-this-world fantastic for us Stevie fans. She is all fired up and ready to give "passion" (hehe, no pun intended) to her fans. I must say: It was really awesome to see her solo show in an arena. There was a lot of energy flowing through the Garden last night. We paid $200 for our tickets and it was worth it. This is definitely a show for Rod fans, but if you are a die-hard like me, make sure you get a seat where people will be standing for her set.

Here are some youtube videos (not taken by me). I can see myself head-banging on E017 :lol:

Edge of 17

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6-BCLAVh_QI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rhiannon

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/op13cvmCAK4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Landslide

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lpwlrxc9mfE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1sttimelongtime
03-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the review!! Those Rod fans really are a bunch of old codgers. I was sitting next to grizzled grandpa at the garden. I was surprised to see a former coworker's post about being at the MSG show, and not liking Stevie at all. But I remembered she is well past retirement, so I'd imagine Stevie must be akin to Anthrax for her.

michelej1
03-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Secret Love - Stand Back wasn't over for a SECOND before she said "this is my new single" and went right into Secret Love.

I'm surprised, there's no pause. I'd think she'd need to catch her breath and get her bearings after the energy of Stand Back.

Sorcerer - Introed this by talking about Lindsey quickly.

What did she say about him?

Thanks for the great review. Michele

Edgeof27
03-31-2011, 08:15 PM
what an awesome angle,

too bad some clown got in the way;

too bad it was not the 90 minute intro from Waddy that I love so dearly;

once again great angle, thanks for posting

:cool::cool:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6-BCLAVh_QI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AliceLover
03-31-2011, 08:41 PM
I'm surprised, there's no pause. I'd think she'd need to catch her breath and get her bearings after the energy of Stand Back.

What did she say about him?

Thanks for the great review. Michele

Something to the effect of "I wrote this song in 1973 right after Lindsey and I moved to Hollywood." Then I zoned out because I knew it was Sorcerer. :laugh:

Honestly, for the past few years whenever Dreams, Landslide, Sorcerer, or Rhiannon start I zone out just because I'm so bloody sick of them. Hah, I sound like John McViw.

vivfox
03-31-2011, 08:43 PM
Great review Jimmy. I can't imagine why that security guard told you to go back to your seat.
BTW that wasn't Al Ortiz smiling at you, that was me. My first mistake was to smile at you.:lol:

PenguinHead
03-31-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the review!! Those Rod fans really are a bunch of old codgers. I was sitting next to grizzled grandpa at the garden. I was surprised to see a former coworker's post about being at the MSG show, and not liking Stevie at all. But I remembered she is well past retirement, so I'd imagine Stevie must be akin to Anthrax for her.

My older cousin married to a very eccentric lady who is a Rod Stewart fanatic. She has a creepy friend who is a Rod Stewart impersonater, and there's even a clip of her young daughter singing on stage with the real Rod. And she always seems to get great seats and access to her idol Rod.

I figured if she was going to the Boston show, I might tag along. I inquired with her, thinking this could be a bonding experience. Unfortunately, she's still recovering from a surgery, so she passed on the show. I mentioned I was a Stevie fan. She very coldy said "I don't care for her at all!"

I'm not sure, but think there is very little common ground between Rod's fans and Stevie's fans.

AliceLover
03-31-2011, 10:15 PM
My older cousin married to a very eccentric lady who is a Rod Stewart fanatic. She has a creepy friend who is a Rod Stewart impersonater, and there's even a clip of her young daughter singing on stage with the real Rod. And she always seems to get great seats and access to her idol Rod.

I figured if she was going to the Boston show, I might tag along. I inquired with her, thinking this could be a bonding experience. Unfortunately, she's still recovering from a surgery, so she passed on the show. I mentioned I was a Stevie fan. She very coldy said "I don't care for her at all!"

I'm not sure, but think there is very little common ground between Rod's fans and Stevie's fans.

I agree. It seems like there were two groups of people in the audience last night. Even when Stevie went to both sides of the stage, some people were jumping up and down waving, while others were sitting, staring at her blankly. This is why I hope this pairing stops, immediately. Stevie's fans are getting jipped out of this one for sure.

Spoinny
04-01-2011, 02:52 PM
man she looks like a witchy-poo grandma in those videos. She really should update her "uniform" a bit. Would totally make her look less matron (grandmatron!)ly!

PenguinHead
04-01-2011, 11:07 PM
man she looks like a witchy-poo grandma in those videos. She really should update her "uniform" a bit. Would totally make her look less matron (grandmatron!)ly!

I know nothing, and typically have no interest in womens' fashions, but Stevie does herself no favors with her stage clothes. What happened? In her early years in Fleetwood Mac, and early on in her solo career, she varied her outfits and sported other colors other than black.

Those should pads seem so outdated. When she wears soft shoulder dresses she looks so feminine and sexy. With the pumped up shoulders she looks more harsh, manly, and...it's just not a good look for her. She is starting to appear like a dominatrix grandma.