PDA

View Full Version : What color will this album be?

Jondalar
03-11-2011, 10:29 PM
I posed this question about a year ago on another site:

I see albums in terms of color sometimes, mainly becuase of the covers.

1. Bella Donna - Black
2. The Wild Heart - Brown
3. Rock a Little - white
4. The Other side of the Mirror - Red
5. Timespace - Blue
6. Street Angel - Pink
7. TISL - Orange
8. Crystal Visions - Dark Green
9. Soundstage - Purple

I'm wondering if we will finally see a yellow or a new color. It seems to me I like the albums with darker colors better.

Do you think we could define this cover as her Gold cover? It looks to me that she sorta did pick a new color. How would you define this cover with one color?

cristochango
03-11-2011, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't really call the album cover of Wild Heart brown, I'd go more purple.
And Street Angel, white.

:D

SuiteShangriLa
03-11-2011, 10:51 PM
i wouldnt call Bella Donna black...but Blue.
WH ...purple
RAL black on white
OSOTM...red/black
SA. pale pink satin...
Timespace...blue
Enchanted...grey :(
TISL. peach
SS is both blue and black.
when i look at the new photo posted as the cover...i see pink from the glare and alot of white.

Jondalar
03-11-2011, 11:02 PM
i wouldnt call Bella Donna black...but Blue.
WH ...purple
RAL black on white
OSOTM...red/black
SA. pale pink satin...
Timespace...blue
Enchanted...grey :(
TISL. peach
SS is both blue and black.
when i look at the new photo posted as the cover...i see pink from the glare and alot of white.

I see a golden hue to everything because of the glare. Why blue for Bella Donna? It was mostly black

Pyewacket
03-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Hmmm...I think Jondalar meant more in the sense of the music itself having a color signature, maybe even an aura. Is that right?

Do you have Synesthesia? And totally off-topic, but is your name from Clan Of The Cave Bear?

I do love it when an album cover is well-matched with the contents within. I think Bella Donna is perfect with this, with it's black-as-night cover and it's elegant, bluish, dream-like pictures of Stevie on both front and back.

I thought Wild Heart was less successful at this, and though I liked her look on the front cover (and her vamp-lesbian-bordello shots for the rest of the album), it didn't really match what was going on musically, with elements of country and synths everywhere.

Rock A Little, though, I thought was very good. The look was clean and a bit wintery and that seemed perfect for "Talk To Me," "Nightmare," "HAEWAFY" and many others.

I was not crazy about the next two albums NOR their covers...so, uh, perfect match. :) The cover for Street Angel was particularly dismal (though I did like a few of the songs from that album).

Trouble in Shangri-La was back on form for me -- loved the splash of color and the warmth, which I thought the songs shared. I loved the stately hall she was running through as well.

Jondalar
03-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Hmmm...I think Jondalar meant more in the sense of the music itself having a color signature, maybe even an aura. Is that right?

Do you have Synethsia? And totally off-topic, but is your name from Clan Of The Cave Bear?

I do love it when an album cover is well-matched with the contents within. I think Bella Donna is perfect with this, with it's black-as-night cover and it's elegant, bluish, dream-like pictures of Stevie on both front and back.

I thought Wild Heart was less successful at this, and though I liked her look on the front cover (and her vamp-lesbian-bordello shots for the rest of the album), it didn't really match what was going on musically, with elements of country and synths everywhere.

Rock A Little, though, I thought was very good. The look was clean and a bit wintery and that seemed perfect for "Talk To Me," "Nightmare," "HAEWAFY" and many others.

I was not crazy about the next two albums NOR their covers...so, uh, perfect match. :) The cover for Street Angel was particularly dismal (though I did like a few of the songs from that album).

Trouble in Shangri-La was back on form for me -- loved the splash of color and the warmth, which I thought the songs shared. I loved the stately hall she was running through as well.

Wow! Yes, my name is from Clan of the Cave Bear. It was one of my favorite books of all time, although the series got worse.

What I'm saying is when I think back to Bella Donna, I associate with the color black, and it has a sorta has a classic feel. But I always always sorta see that color because of the cover. The album is indeed a classic.

Wild Heart - brown and deep purple, which sorta seems to fit the almost rock, almost goth, sythensizer theme.

TISL - the orange was predominant, when I think of those songs I see the cover and that orange, I associate those songs with that color

In Your Dreams - unless that cover has not been totally color corrected, I'm going to associate this album with Gold, even the white of the horse has yellow in it. It's saturated with yellow and it's just got a golden hue. I'm wondering what this could mean for the music. It seems I have liked her darker colors better. But Gold is something new. I joked around last year when I wrote that post. But Gold or Yellow seems to be the real deal here.

Synesthesia? I have not heard of that until now. I don't think I have it, but color is real important to me. I'm a graphic designer and I sorta picture things. I just have a big imagination.

P.S. you are right about the elements of country in the Wild Heart, that was another reason I thought the color was perfect for that. Brown = Country. That color chart to me fit the album. And I agree that the lesbian, covenish, lesbian were awesome. It was one of my favorite covers from her. Nothing can top TISL cover, however, I don't feel the same exactly about the music inside. The orange, sunnishness is soo perfect for planets or the rush of Fall from Grace. But as whole I did not like the album. But orange was the spirit of the album.

SuiteShangriLa
03-11-2011, 11:41 PM
I see a golden hue to everything because of the glare. Why blue for Bella Donna? It was mostly black

i thought you were speaking for the album cover colors ...when i look at Bella Donna i see blue...and sometimes purple. because of the light cast onto Stevie, and the floor below her. I have vinyl copies of the BD album that look both blue and purple. i never understood the color difference.

edit...does anyone else have multiple copies of the BD album with the color differences???

Jondalar
03-11-2011, 11:42 PM
i thought you were speaking for the album cover colors ...when i look at Bella Donna i see blue...and sometimes purple. because of the light cast onto Stevie, and the floor below her. I have vinyl copies of the BD album that look both blue and purple. i never understood the color difference.

I see blue and purple in it, but I have always thought of the cover as black. I wonder if the music has affected my thinking, because black to me stands as CLASSIC.

SuiteShangriLa
03-11-2011, 11:58 PM
well i havent really listened to songs in an 'album' concept in a very long time. every song is pretty much its own entity, or an era. like when i listen to...like, radomly..."sable on blond" i think 1982...early 1983. i dont necesarily think TWH album. and i think about where i was when i first heard it. so, basically...her songs are more mine, now...than they are hers.:cool:

Jondalar
03-12-2011, 12:28 AM
well i havent really listened to songs in an 'album' concept in a very long time. every song is pretty much its own entity, or an era. like when i listen to...like, radomly..."sable on blond" i think 1982...early 1983. i dont necesarily think TWH album. and i think about where i was when i first heard it. so, basically...her songs are more mine, now...than they are hers.:cool:

The only song I really remember when I first heard it from childhood was Nightbird. I was at a gas station and my mom was paying for things, that song came on the radio and it was sooo different, yet pretty. It stuck in head. I just thought it was sooo unusual. I don't even think I knew it was Stevie Nicks at the time, although I knew who she was. a few years later I became a big fan.

Sable on Blonde is perfect for the deep purple and brown color scheme of the Wild Heart. I guesss it means like deep passion steeped in the earth or something.

Pyewacket
03-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Wow! Yes, my name is from Clan of the Cave Bear. It was one of my favorite books of all time, although the series got worse.

[snip]

Synesthesia? I have not heard of that until now. I don't think I have it, but color is real important to me. I'm a graphic designer and I sorta picture things. I just have a big imagination.

I loved those books in descending order too. The new one (and supposedly the last one), The Land Of Painted Caves, should be out very very soon! http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/book-news/deals/article/43338-new-jean-m-auel.html

Synesthesia is something I only heard about this year and I am jealous of anyone who has it. I don't know if Synesthetes think of it as a handicap, but it sounds immersively experiential to me. Imagine listening to an album and experiencing it both aurally and in colors or even orally (some experience sounds as tastes). Bizarre and cool.

Meowi
03-12-2011, 01:15 AM
I think I definitely have Synesthesia...
For me this album is giving me a brownny-tan hue.

Jondalar
03-12-2011, 11:15 AM
I loved those books in descending order too. The new one (and supposedly the last one), The Land Of Painted Caves, should be out very very soon! http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/book-news/deals/article/43338-new-jean-m-auel.html

Synesthesia is something I only heard about this year and I am jealous of anyone who has it. I don't know if Synesthetes think of it as a handicap, but it sounds immersively experiential to me. Imagine listening to an album and experiencing it both aurally and in colors or even orally (some experience sounds as tastes). Bizarre and cool.

I think some people who took LCD have that.

P.S. I quit reading the series. Boring now.

Jondalar
03-12-2011, 03:33 PM
I really wonder what type of music will represent Gold or Yellow, now?

SapphireSister
03-12-2011, 03:53 PM
I think I might have Synesthesia. I get a little tingle between my legs when I hear Bella Donna...:lol:

Jondalar
03-12-2011, 03:55 PM
I think I might have Synesthesia. I get a little tingle between my legs when I hear Bella Donna...:lol:

Well that's not a color...You could of ate too many beans. :)

CreepingDeath
03-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Puce? :shrug:

jeffd8382
03-12-2011, 06:19 PM
This is a really interesting topic... I have never focused too heavily on it, but yes, music does bring to mind various colors... and like you, Jondalar, the cover art probably does influence this for me as well.

1. Bella Donna - white & shades of purple/blue - strange, since there's so much black on the cover, but the title track in particular feels white. Then of course, there's the lyrics "White-winged dove". There is also the stark contrast of what she's wearing to the black background. "After The Glitter Fades", however, feels like black and gold (all that glitters is gold! ;p) "How Still My Love" - very blue

2. The Wild Heart - deep purple - heavily influenced by the cover; specific tracks vary though: "Nightbird" & "I Will Run To You" = blue; "If Anyone Falls" = gold; "Enchanted" = yellow; "Stand Back" & "Nothing Ever Changes" = maroon

3. Rock a Little - equal parts purply blue and yellow - the title track in particular is very blue; "If I Were You" & "Some Become Stangers" - more pinky-purple; "The Nightmare" - green comes to mind for some odd reason lol; "Sister Honey" is definitely yellow (amber honey?)

4. The Other Side of the Mirror - equal part red and black - again, cover-influence; "Long Way To Go" - definitely red; allusions to fire bring red to mind ("Fire Burning" & "Rooms On Fire"); "Two Kinds Of Love" is very much gold for me; "Ghosts" is more yellow; "Juliet" & "Alice" have a bit of a green feel to me

5. Timespace - this one is tough because of the inclusion of previous material, but I guess I'd go with gold and blue (hmm.. cover art? lol)

6. Street Angel - pink - hard to escape that color here! "Blue Denim", however, feels very brown (why not blue? who knows); "Street Angel" = black; "Love Is Like A River" = chartreuse

7. TISL - earth tones, so I'll go with brown, but some songs feel like gold too. "Love Changes" feels orange to me; "Bombay Sapphires" is distinctly blue/green (and no, I don't connect it with the drink "Bombay Sapphire" lol!) <-- I had to look that up out of curiosity and was amused to see the color fit perfectly! "Sorcerer" = yellow; "Every Day" is green.

8. Crystal Visions - compilations are hard for me to peg...an off-white or cream color comes to mind...not sure why.

9. Soundstage - very blue

10. In Your Dreams - ??? - however "Secret Love" feels like sunny yellow & misty pink to me

jeffd8382
03-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Sable on Blonde is perfect for the deep purple and brown color scheme of the Wild Heart.

I definitely agree here... was thinking the same thing before I read this! :thumbsup: