PDA

View Full Version : MTV poll, who should perform at superbowl halftime

Jondalar
02-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Vote for Fleetwood Mac. They are trying to decide who should perform at halftime show.

http://newsroom.mtv.com/2010/02/08/super-bowl-halftime-poll/

nicksphan
02-08-2010, 11:52 PM
I just voted. FM is in 4th place with 7% of the vote. After reading the article, I'd say FM has as good a chance as any of the groups mentioned.

tilthefirefades
02-09-2010, 05:33 AM
I voted, but I can't believe Madonna hasn't performed yet? wow. Van Halen would be incredible as well. And why do NIN have the majority of the vote? I mean, do they have more than one hit?

Still yet, a nice loud World Turning, Tusk, Stand Back, and Go Your Own Way would rock the house :thumbsup:

StreetAngel95
02-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Aaaaaa this is exactly what the mac needs! Mainstream exposure! Its the perfect kick in the butt to get back in the studio!

OldTimer
02-09-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm surprised The Eagles aren't on the list of suggestions.

Hey, this would be a great place for that Eagles/Mac double bill! As far as that which-band-plays-first thing, they could have the refs flip a coin. :nod:

StreetAngel95
02-09-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm surprised The Eagles aren't on the list of suggestions.

Hey, this would be a great place for that Eagles/Mac double bill! As far as that which-band-plays-first thing, they could have the refs flip a coin. :nod:

hahaa thats pretty funny!!

FMlex
02-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Actually, according to this article (http://stadiumblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/02/super-bowl-halftime-entertainm.html), the Eagles are early favorites for halftime at the next Super Bowl. Makes sense considering the next one will be in the "almighty" new Dallas stadium :rolleyes:

If they're following the trend they've been on, it's obviously going to be a classic rock act.

EnchantedKiwi
02-09-2010, 09:57 PM
I reckon it would be awesome to see FM do Tusk and Don't Stop with a marching band again.
Perfect for the Superbowl

goldustsongbird
02-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Perfect for the Superbowl

I agree: Christine Perfect for the Superbowl!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/soupdupcosmogrl/christine54.jpg

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to make some adjustments to my time machine.

Hawkeye
02-10-2010, 06:02 PM
I don't think Fleetwood Mac should play the super bowl. What songs do they have that are super bowl worthy. You need to have that BIG rock anthem thing going on. I'm So Afraid is too long and not well known. I guess Stand Back, Go Your Own Way Tusk (actually Tusk with the USC marching band is the ONLY thing that would work 100 percent for the super bowl. I guess a rousing Big Love could wow the crowd and Landslide could work, they slow it down sometime for the superbowl. But their other big hits, Dreams, Rhiannon, The Chain none of that **** would work.

And the even bigger problem. Stevie and especially Lindsey have the "ability" to kick ass at the superbowl. Stevie can still let out some good wails, but her and Lindsey have an uncanny ability to lose every bit of awseomeness once they step onto national TV.

So while I would love it to find out they were the half time show, really its not a good idea.

michelej1
02-10-2010, 06:18 PM
And the even bigger problem. Stevie and especially Lindsey have the "ability" to kick ass at the superbowl. Stevie can still let out some good wails, but her and Lindsey have an uncanny ability to lose every bit of awseomeness once they step onto national TV.

That's the truth. They are afraid of the camera. Poor things. When I saw their tiny, petrified forms on those 2 Leno shows, in particular, my heart broke in two. I just wanted to gather them in my arms and protect them from the bad men.

GYOW would be a good Superbowl song, but America is sick to death of it. Doing that again would be like announcing to the world, "We actually have no catalog. We are one-song wonders."

Michele

Musicman408
02-10-2010, 09:56 PM
I was just talking about this with a friend recently. It would be AMAZING!!!

thatgirlwasme
02-11-2010, 06:35 PM
My husband is a huge fan of The Who, and we were both pleased with the Superbowl performance, but most of our friends made fun of them because they thought the band looked and sounded so old. It was very upsetting, and we found ourselves trying to defend the performance.

I fear the same reaction to Fleetwood Mac if they played Superbowl halftime. People who haven't seen or heard recent performances might be apt to make the same comments. Don't get me wrong--I think the Mac and Stevie are still amazing live, but if you are just a casual fan or are only familiar with studio tracks, you might think Stevie and Lindsey sound "old."

I was so nervous about the reaction to Stevie's Grammy performance, but luckily TS took the brunt of the criticism on that one. I just don't want Stevie or the Mac to get negative press or receive negative reactions from viewers.

A

michelej1
02-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Top Ten from Yahoo music, New Zealand, by Rob O'Connor:

http://new.nz.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/134386/ten-performers-who-could-play-the-super-bowl/

3) Fleetwood Mac: While there are those of you who will call for the Peter Green version of the band, the Super Bowl Entertainment Committee will demand it be the Lindsey Buckingham-Stevie Nicks version of the group. That was the version that sold a quintillion records and can still be seen in late night TV ads.

2) Up With People: They performed at the Superbowl in 1976, 1980, 1982 and 1986 and if you people don't start behaving yourselves, they'll bring them back in 2012, just in time for the end of the world. And if the world doesn't actually end, it will still feel like it.

1) Neil Young: Do we dare let this unpredictable Canadian on the stage? If we do, there's going to be a groundswell of support (what is that, by the way?) for Aldo Nova, Rush and Honeymoon Suite within minutes of the last ring of feedback, as Young finishes up 12 minutes of "Down By The River." Young's a better bet than Bob Dylan. Even Dylan's hardcore fans can't decide whether or not he was paying attention half the time.

michelej1
02-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Kenny Chesney got a Superbowl vote. The Yahoo Music blogger noted:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/vivanashvegas/21313/kenny-chesney-for-super-bowl-2011/

Sure, he's not Fleetwood Mac, but let's be truthful here--I didn't think Stevie Nicks sounded all that much better than Taylor Swift at the Grammys.

StandbackStevie
02-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Definetly think FM should be on the next halft time superbowl for next year would be awesome would love to see Stevie solo too would be awesome and also Heart would be a good and and also The Eagles lets Blondie would be good too. I do think the superbowl half time shows have been classic rock the past few years i heard they dont want pop artists anymore i think too controversial since the last few times they have been on there cause problems in the past. So FM I think would have a great shot on being on there next year if possible.

michelej1
03-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Nine Inch Nails won the poll with 45 percent.

http://newsroom.mtv.com/tag/nine-inch-nails/

Other top vote-getters included Van Halen (14 percent), AC/DC (11 percent) and Fleetwood Mac (seven percent). But the most intriguing ideas came in the comments to that poll, where readers reminded us of a few ideas that we had let slip (including the Eagles and the Police). In fact, one reader sent in the best idea we've heard yet.