PDA

View Full Version : How to clean vinyl records

christcore
06-07-2009, 10:05 PM
I am pretty new into vinyl records, but have a lot of them. Whats the best way to clean dust and hair off of them without buying anything expensive. I have been using a little brush with soft bristles that is made for wiping computer screens so I figured that would be fine. Should I wipe straight out, or run parallel with the grooves?

ragandbone
06-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Should I wipe straight out...
Yipes! No!
follow the groove...

I was surprised to see that these are still being manufactured, and I suppose there might be some microfiber thing that is better, but this was always the best tool years ago:
DISCWASHER D4+ Record Cleaning System
http://www.needledoctor.com/Discwasher-D4-Kit

Have fun with the vinyl :)

desertangel
06-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Not sure I'd even want to use any kind of solution on them at all. I've heard solutions leave a residue which reacts with the vinyl after a long while. I use luke warm water and add some Ivory liquid if they're gritty. Don't rub, just rinse. I also use a felt cloth and wipe in the direction of the grooves. You can use something like a cloth that you use to clean your eyeglasses with.

I wouldn't recommend brushes either, only very soft cloths. I used to wonder if those record player needles with the built in brushes would eventually make the records sound bad.

ragandbone
06-09-2009, 02:46 AM
Not sure I'd even want to use any kind of solution on them at all.
Yeah, the discwasher pad came with solution, but I ran out in 1983. I have used it without since.
One thing I think has been best for the vinyl is to make sure I have a stylus that is in good shape. No way around it, though, my old records have degraded...I like the crackle and the diminished fidelity (sometimes) but I am sort of sentimental.

p.s. in case you haven't used it - the discwasher thingy isn't really a "brush" it is a pad with a nap, like chenille - not too different from those microfiber cloths used for dusting